ImageImageImage

Nikola Jokic MVPx2, FMVP, and.. still counting!

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Jokic's production 

Post#101 » by skywalker33 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't think the FO saw as big of a talent gap last year between Harris and Jokic as it became this year. For them to think a declining Millsap better, that is a problem. But considering how much emphasis Malone has put on veterans it really doesn't surprise me, Malone has always under-estimated our youth. I disagree a bit, Harris has played great for the Nuggets too, many games I saw him as the driving force to a win, he showed more leadership than Jokic did.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#102 » by The Rebel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Interesting tweet showing the difference Jokic makes for this roster.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#103 » by youngthegiant » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Adam Mares on radio with Scott Hastings & Julie Browman
www.altitude950.com/podcasts/adam-mares-joins-the-hastings-browman-show-2/

I found some of the interview interesting - including "repeater tax" and "All-NBA" for Jokic and more.

Beginning at 5:30 in the broadcast, Mares said Jokic thought he was the third best Nugget going into last year. How is that possible? Did the coaches and front office not make his position clear? He also said the Nuggets didn't know what direction they were headed? Really? It sure seemed like everything was all about Jokc.

I know he's a Nuggets' shill but how can they even try to sell this concept?
Yea that was clear from the beginning of last season. Malone had made it a point to not call Jokic the best player until very late in the season. He started by calling Millsap his best player, then moved to Harris. Jokic isn't a Malone guy and if he were in charge of the roster, Jokic would have been traded awhile ago. Malone's style of coaching is old school, where he tries to imprint his style of basketball on a team that is probably a lot better playing another style. Which is a shame because now Denver is going into next season with a coach who doesn't know how to fully utilize his roster and it's far from a sure thing that Denver can be in the playoffs next season. Malone is very much Denver's Mark Jackson, Jokic and this team will be a force to deal with but it won't start unless Malone changes his philosophy or leaves. Think about it, if Denver had played the Jokic freestyle offense consistently, they would have two playoff appearances by now. That's my same standpoint on a guy like Torrey Craig and Juancho. Juancho is a much better player, but because Craig's skills align with Malone's philosophy, Juancho gets benched and doesn't get developed in year 2. Same story for Malik, Malone has completely broken him. Malik was a scorer in college and looks afraid to shoot the ball when he was in games. He's being forced to be a player he isn't.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#104 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:45 pm

youngthegiant wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Adam Mares on radio with Scott Hastings & Julie Browman
www.altitude950.com/podcasts/adam-mares-joins-the-hastings-browman-show-2/

I found some of the interview interesting - including "repeater tax" and "All-NBA" for Jokic and more.

Beginning at 5:30 in the broadcast, Mares said Jokic thought he was the third best Nugget going into last year. How is that possible? Did the coaches and front office not make his position clear? He also said the Nuggets didn't know what direction they were headed? Really? It sure seemed like everything was all about Jokc.

I know he's a Nuggets' shill but how can they even try to sell this concept?
Yea that was clear from the beginning of last season. Malone had made it a point to not call Jokic the best player until very late in the season. He started by calling Millsap his best player, then moved to Harris. Jokic isn't a Malone guy and if he were in charge of the roster, Jokic would have been traded awhile ago. Malone's style of coaching is old school, where he tries to imprint his style of basketball on a team that is probably a lot better playing another style. Which is a shame because now Denver is going into next season with a coach who doesn't know how to fully utilize his roster and it's far from a sure thing that Denver can be in the playoffs next season. Malone is very much Denver's Mark Jackson, Jokic and this team will be a force to deal with but it won't start unless Malone changes his philosophy or leaves. Think about it, if Denver had played the Jokic freestyle offense consistently, they would have two playoff appearances by now. That's my same standpoint on a guy like Torrey Craig and Juancho. Juancho is a much better player, but because Craig's skills align with Malone's philosophy, Juancho gets benched and doesn't get developed in year 2. Same story for Malik, Malone has completely broken him. Malik was a scorer in college and looks afraid to shoot the ball when he was in games. He's being forced to be a player he isn't.

Good read and it reminded me that Malone is now a "Lame Duck" coach. How will that affect the team? Will he finally wake up and truly embrace a Jokic-centric offense or will he still try to setup as many plays as possible for Millsap and Barton (I'm assuming they find a way to re-sign him)? Will he finally admit he doesn't know how to spell defense and find a coach that can teach some team defensive concepts? Or will he still refuse to embrace concepts less than 20 years old?
skywalker33

Post#105 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:20 am

youngthegiant wrote: Yea that was clear from the beginning of last season. Malone had made it a point to not call Jokic the best player until very late in the season. He started by calling Millsap his best player, then moved to Harris. Jokic isn't a Malone guy and if he were in charge of the roster, Jokic would have been traded awhile ago. Malone's style of coaching is old school, where he tries to imprint his style of basketball on a team that is probably a lot better playing another style. Which is a shame because now Denver is going into next season with a coach who doesn't know how to fully utilize his roster and it's far from a sure thing that Denver can be in the playoffs next season. Malone is very much Denver's Mark Jackson, Jokic and this team will be a force to deal with but it won't start unless Malone changes his philosophy or leaves. Think about it, if Denver had played the Jokic freestyle offense consistently, they would have two playoff appearances by now. That's my same standpoint on a guy like Torrey Craig and Juancho. Juancho is a much better player, but because Craig's skills align with Malone's philosophy, Juancho gets benched and doesn't get developed in year 2. Same story for Malik, Malone has completely broken him. Malik was a scorer in college and looks afraid to shoot the ball when he was in games. He's being forced to be a player he isn't.

That's just TOTAL BS !!!

First, if Jokic was to be traded, Nurkic would have still been here, he's much more aligned with Malone's playing style so why was HE the one traded ?? And if Jokic isn't a Malone type guy, why did he spend so much time with him in the off-season, traveling to Serbia ???

Secondly, had Juanch not been ill and Millsap not got injured for over HALF the season we'd have easily been a playoff team. I'd feel VERY COMFORTABLE going out on a limb saying we'll be a playoff team next year. Jokic will be playing better basketball in his third year, especially feeling financially secure. We'll have Millsap healthy, Murray and Harris should take more steps. And I have a feeling Barton may be back as well, keeping this team together will only make it stronger.

Last, Juancho didn't get developed because he caught MONO which saps for strength and energy for MONTHS. Had he not caught the virus then you could have a case but it's not because Craig 's skillset aligns better, it's because he was forced to play him because Juancho was unable to give the effort necessary to play.

I won't disagree that Malone looks like this team's Mark Jackson but I can't blame him for injuries, illnesses, or who he likes or dislikes that unfair because YOU DON'T KNOW !!!

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 am

skywalker33 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote: Yea that was clear from the beginning of last season. Malone had made it a point to not call Jokic the best player until very late in the season. He started by calling Millsap his best player, then moved to Harris. Jokic isn't a Malone guy and if he were in charge of the roster, Jokic would have been traded awhile ago. Malone's style of coaching is old school, where he tries to imprint his style of basketball on a team that is probably a lot better playing another style. Which is a shame because now Denver is going into next season with a coach who doesn't know how to fully utilize his roster and it's far from a sure thing that Denver can be in the playoffs next season. Malone is very much Denver's Mark Jackson, Jokic and this team will be a force to deal with but it won't start unless Malone changes his philosophy or leaves. Think about it, if Denver had played the Jokic freestyle offense consistently, they would have two playoff appearances by now. That's my same standpoint on a guy like Torrey Craig and Juancho. Juancho is a much better player, but because Craig's skills align with Malone's philosophy, Juancho gets benched and doesn't get developed in year 2. Same story for Malik, Malone has completely broken him. Malik was a scorer in college and looks afraid to shoot the ball when he was in games. He's being forced to be a player he isn't.

That's just TOTAL BS !!!

First, if Jokic was to be traded, Nurkic would have still been here, he's much more aligned with Malone's playing style so why was HE the one traded ?? And if Jokic isn't a Malone type guy, why did he spend so much time with him in the off-season, traveling to Serbia ???

Secondly, had Juanch not been ill and Millsap not got injured for over HALF the season we'd have easily been a playoff team. I'd feel VERY COMFORTABLE going out on a limb saying we'll be a playoff team next year. Jokic will be playing better basketball in his third year, especially feeling financially secure. We'll have Millsap healthy, Murray and Harris should take more steps. And I have a feeling Barton may be back as well, keeping this team together will only make it stronger.

Last, Juancho didn't get developed because he caught MONO which saps for strength and energy for MONTHS. Had he not caught the virus then you could have a case but it's not because Craig 's skillset aligns better, it's because he was forced to play him because Juancho was unable to give the effort necessary to play.

I won't disagree that Malone looks like this team's Mark Jackson but I can't blame him for injuries, illnesses, or who he likes or dislikes that unfair because YOU DON'T KNOW !!!

Sorry Sky but I've got to disagree on some of that. Nurkic was never a Malone-guy. Maybe his style of play fit better but Malone is apparently opposed to anyone that disagrees with him on anything (that's why I suspect Chandler will leave and why Gallinari isn't still around - let go for nothing).

I'm not going to predict the Nuggets make the playoffs - which I believed last year. I don't believe just because I don't believe our front office will improve our roster and I don't believe Malone will improve our offense or defense and I do believe other teams will be improving.

I'll agree that Jokic will be playing better but Malone will still be trying to make the offense work for Millsap just as much as for Jokic.

I do believe you on the Hernangomez/Craig topic. Malone probably doesn't want to use either one anyway.

I will agree that Malone is not responsible for all of the issues of the past two years but he has certainly not provided solutions and hasn't shown an ability to adapt to his players abilities.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#107 » by youngthegiant » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 am

skywalker33 wrote:

That's just TOTAL BS !!!

1.) I specifically said if Malone ran the team than Jokic would have been traded, but he doesn't. When Nurkic and Jokic started together, who did Malone bench after it didn't work? It was Jokic even though everyone knew Jokic was much better than Nurkic. When jokic proved he could carry the team's offense, what did Malone do? He reeled him back once again and had parked on the 3pt line. Malone often doesn't even let Jokic play defense at the end of games, he pulls him out and replaces him with plumlee on the defensive possession. Do you see Steve kerr pulling Curry out at the end of games because of how poor of a defender he is. No and that's because he trusts him. Malone doesn't love Jokic and don't let the theatrics fool you. He doesn't like offensive only players and everything he has done with this roster has proved that.

2.) If Malone actually coaches to the strengths of his players then Denver not only gets to the playoff two years in a row, but they do it without Millsap playing a majority of the games. Imagine how scary this team would be if he returns and they actually know how incorporate him into the roster. But they don't and they still don't which is another factor to to think about when considering their playoff chances. You shouldn't feel comfortable about this team making the playoffs. Who in the western conference is going to regress? Thunder? Spurs? (maybe, they'll both still be good)That's two teams and the Grizzlies, Lakers, Clippers will all return stronger than before. The west is only going to get tougher and if Malone doesn't have the insight to see that Jokic is the engine of this team, he may just cost us another playoff appearance if he dicks around the with the offense and doesn't improve the defense.

3.) Malone was not forced to play Craig, he had other options available. Malone gave Juancho two chances after Chandler was injured and Craig was not able to play(by this time he was fully recovered from Mono). Both times he performed adequately and Denver was able to win those two games.. He never went back to him again, even though you clearly see Juancho was having a positive impact on the game. Even look at the last game of the season, he didn't even play Trey Lyles but managed to find minutes for Craig. Lyles was a big part of why Denver was able to stay in the playoff discussion and Malone had no confidence in him. Craig was averaging more mpg the last two months of the season than Lyles.

So it's not BS, Malone clearly has favorites and players he prefers to play. Every coach does and it's ridiculous to think he doesn't.
skywalker33

Post#108 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:30 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

That's just TOTAL BS !!!

NuggetsWY wrote:Sorry Sky but I've got to disagree on some of that. Nurkic was never a Malone-guy. Maybe his style of play fit better but Malone is apparently opposed to anyone that disagrees with him on anything (that's why I suspect Chandler will leave and why Gallinari isn't still around - let go for nothing).

Certainly OK to disagree, my point was that in no way, shape or form do I think Malone wants to/or would trade Jokic AS WAS STATED. If that were the case, I believe Jokic would've been traded rather than Nurkic who would've been favored by Malone because Nurkic was/is more of a defensive minded center than Jokic is. I would also question what makes you say Malone is "apparently opposed to anyone that disagrees with him on anything". I agree he WANTS his system to work but having seen (and returned to)the productive nature of the Joker offense, I don't see him going away from it, I do see him trying to tweek some defense into it.

NuggetsWY wrote:I'm not going to predict the Nuggets make the playoffs - which I believed last year. I don't believe just because I don't believe our front office will improve our roster and I don't believe Malone will improve our offense or defense and I do believe other teams will be improving.

So you don't think our current roster is good enough to make the playoffs ??

NuggetsWY wrote:I'll agree that Jokic will be playing better but Malone will still be trying to make the offense work for Millsap just as much as for Jokic.

Isn't it his job to make the TEAM work better ? He will also try to make the offense better for Murray and Harris as well, is that wrong too ? C'mon man, I know you're Malone-jaded but if Malone can make Millsap work better within the Joker offense, that can't be a bad thing in my book.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Sorry Sky but I've got to disagree on some of that. Nurkic was never a Malone-guy. Maybe his style of play fit better but Malone is apparently opposed to anyone that disagrees with him on anything (that's why I suspect Chandler will leave and why Gallinari isn't still around - let go for nothing).

skywalker33 wrote:Certainly OK to disagree, my point was that in no way, shape or form do I think Malone wants to/or would trade Jokic AS WAS STATED. If that were the case, I believe Jokic would've been traded rather than Nurkic who would've been favored by Malone because Nurkic was/is more of a defensive minded center than Jokic is. I would also question what makes you say Malone is "apparently opposed to anyone that disagrees with him on anything". I agree he WANTS his system to work but having seen (and returned to)the productive nature of the Joker offense, I don't see him going away from it, I do see him trying to tweek some defense into it.

When Millsap came back, Malone seemed to try to run plays specifically for him. Letting Jokic have the ball means whoever can get open gets the shot. When Barton was in the game, Malone had him trying to run plays even when Jokic was in the game. I just don't believe Malone understands that his system is not ideal with Jokic.
NuggetsWY wrote:I'm not going to predict the Nuggets make the playoffs - which I believed last year. I don't believe just because I don't believe our front office will improve our roster and I don't believe Malone will improve our offense or defense and I do believe other teams will be improving.

skywalker33 wrote:So you don't think our current roster is good enough to make the playoffs ??

Not with Malone calling plays and not with Malone's defensive approach - no I do not.
NuggetsWY wrote:I'll agree that Jokic will be playing better but Malone will still be trying to make the offense work for Millsap just as much as for Jokic.

skywalker33 wrote:Isn't it his job to make the TEAM work better ? He will also try to make the offense better for Murray and Harris as well, is that wrong too ? C'mon man, I know you're Malone-jaded but if Malone can make Millsap work better within the Joker offense, that can't be a bad thing in my book.

The best offense for Murray and Harris is cutting and running and diving to the basket. They're very good at it, but too often they were just standing around outside. I do not understand why. If Malone wants someone standing around outside, let it be Millsap. He can hit an open 3 and if given an opportunity to back-door or just cut, he's pretty effective too.

Yes, I am Malone-jaded. If you can remember his first year, I was actually defending him and saying things like give him at least two years, maybe three. But he sure does look like the same coach at the end of two years that he was at the beginning of his tenure.
skywalker33

Post#110 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 am

Wy, sounds you need to work on your Nuggets faith.....here, have some kool-aid :wink:

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by The Rebel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

I think both sides have some truth in your arguments, but neither wants to look at the other side.

There is an old saying that a good coach will get his guys to buy into his system, a great coach will get the guys to buy into a system that works best for their talents. Malone is a good coach so far, but he is not a great coach.

I think as a coach's son that grew up around the NBA Malone has a vision of what his system on both ends look like based on the history of basketball systems, and he cannot wrap his head around the differences in today's game. Team's didn't start switching pick and rolls until the last 15 years or so, Karl was one of the 1st to have his guys do it all the time, now we are one of the few that do not switch them, and all the teams that don't are terrible defenses according to the numbers these days. When is the last time we used a zone defense for even a few minutes in a game? In the 80s and 90s when defenders could be more physical, than I think his defense would have been okay, but in today’s game where you cannot touch guys on the perimeter, his defense is antiquated and way out of date. Which is why our defense sucks and our players look worse on defense than they really are.

Malone obviously likes iso offenses that rely on one on one play at a slower pace, when Malone is calling plays that is what they run, iso Barton, iso Millsap, iso Jokic, iso Murray, and it has been that way since he got here. I think his biggest issue with Gallo, Chandler, Faried, and those guys is that they know that type of offense is outdated and does not work to the team’s advantage. Once again it is something that worked in the 90s, it would work if you had Lebron and other big stars that love to iso, but with the personnel we have on this team it does not work. Malone does not seem to be comfortable changing on either side of the court and it hurts the team, but I do not think he is doing it for nefarious reasons.
I do think that Malone has his favorites based on personality and what he believes is good defense, otherwise how do you explain playing a poor man's Faried in Plumlee, over Faried? I do think he overplayed Craig, I think he overplayed Nelson, and Will Barton should have never been leading the team in minutes played. He also has a huge veteran preference, such as playing Chandler no matter how badly he played, but would not use guys like MOrris and Beasley when it was obvious that Mudiay was not going to cut it. I don’t think he dislikes Jokic, but Jokic does not fit what he wants out of a center, he doesn’t dislike Juancho or beasley, but again they don’t fit what he has in mind. He is much like Shaw in that he has his system, and guys are going to have to fit in it.

I do believe that if he could have made the relationship work with Nurkic, that he would have preferred Jokic being traded. I also think that he really wanted mudiay to work out as Mudiay is a classic pass 1st PG that fits what he wants in his system, and that he would prefer to replace Murray with a more pass 1st guy.

I worry that we will lose a guy like Beasley or Juancho or Lyles, and they will flourish elsewhere like Fournier did, because they do not fit what our head coach wants to do.

I also think that Malone is still in Denver for 1 reason and 1 reason only right now. He is close to Lebron, and I think that our front office and the ownership are still more concerned with chasing stars than winning games every year. I believe that right now we are chasing Lebron, Kawhi, George, and all the other big names. I truly believe that our front office and coaching staff believe in our current team less than the fans do, and I think they view Malone as a key in helping with that. Personally I would rather develop the young guys into a contender, and believe they have the talent with a better coach, but I do not think they have the patience or belief that it could happen, despite the results of having a team forced ito a system that does not fit them or todays game, and yet we still should have made the playoffs the last 2 years.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#112 » by U hova » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Malone is still in Denver because his contract is one of the cheapest ones in the league.
The new wave asks for roughly double what he's making if I remember correctly.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Jokic's production 

Post#113 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm

U hova wrote:Malone is still in Denver because his contract is one of the cheapest ones in the league.

Well, as my daddy always said, you get what you pay for.
skywalker33

Re: RE: Re: Jokic's production 

Post#114 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
U hova wrote:Malone is still in Denver because his contract is one of the cheapest ones in the league.

Well, has my daddy always said, you get what you pay for.

Your Daddy is probably right but have to be tankful for one thing...at least we don't have the CHA front office :lol:

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#115 » by U hova » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Man Charlotte is such a mess.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:16 pm

OK, the Nuggets are going to allow Jokic to become a free agent. We won't know what's going on behind the scenes but hopefully, if they let things move slowly and another team makes an offer, they've already persuaded Jokic he's their number one priority and they are trying to do other things to help the team before the sign him to a contract (that hopefully he has already seen and agreed to).

It's hard to imagine they would do anything else.

((( Of course if they were to sign someone else, they'd be paying luxury tax for sure, but maybe, just maybe ownership will go all-in on the luxury tax for one year. )))
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by The Rebel » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:35 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:OK, the Nuggets are going to allow Jokic to become a free agent. We won't know what's going on behind the scenes but hopefully, if they let things move slowly and another team makes an offer, they've already persuaded Jokic he's their number one priority and they are trying to do other things to help the team before the sign him to a contract (that hopefully he has already seen and agreed to).

((( Of course if they were to sign someone else, they'd be paying luxury tax for sure, but maybe, just maybe ownership will go all-in on the luxury tax for one year. )))

There is no cap space unless they clear salary so there is no need to wait on signing him.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#118 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Nuggets will not wait for other teams offers (which would be max anyway) but will offer 146/5 which is the only way to secure Jokic for 5 years, instead of 3 or 4, no doubt about that scenario. What they doing now is to find some way to clean enough cap space to avoid the luxury tax.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:OK, the Nuggets are going to allow Jokic to become a free agent. We won't know what's going on behind the scenes but hopefully, if they let things move slowly and another team makes an offer, they've already persuaded Jokic he's their number one priority and they are trying to do other things to help the team before the sign him to a contract (that hopefully he has already seen and agreed to).

There is no cap space unless they clear salary so there is no need to wait on signing him.

If they could clear some salary space such as Faried & Chandler without taking back more salary; could they not sign a free agent then sign Jokic? Yes, it's a long-shot with our front office and rather unlikely, still ...
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,787

Post#120 » by TunaFish » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 am

Sounds like the Jokic payday is arriving. If there is any further discussion about his value, sounds like it is about to be set. He is a max contract player.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets