ImageImageImage

The New Improved 2021-2022 Trade/Offseason Thread

Moderator: THE J0KER

mirmil
Sophomore
And1: 81

Re: The New Improved 2021-2022 Trade/Offseason Thread 

Post#461 » by mirmil » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:40 pm

Manolito wrote:I agree with Brooks is way better than Barton, but MEM won't trade him for Monte alone and he is not the best fit in the starting up lineup. Murray's usage is around 25%, no room for another high usage player

I'd give Monte and JMike or Zeke + pick if needed for Brooks. Barton averaged just under 11 FGA when we were fully healthy, don't have a problem if Brooks would take as many. His main focus would be defending best guy on the perimeter anyway.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 4,889

Post#462 » by skywalker33 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:17 pm

See, I like Brooks, but with MPJ coming back (this season or next) Brooks would have to play as a SG, where his poor 3-pt shooting would become a detriment, more than likely offset by his defense. I could see trying this in the offseason but I am hesitant to part with Zeke or more draft picks (1. MEM already has 2-3 1st, why would they need more ? 2. We have traded away enough picks, and we're pretty good at drafting, why go away from your strength).
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,680

Post#463 » by The Rebel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:58 pm

If anything this series has shown that we have to remove some of Malone's crutches. Malone's big change last night was throwing Campazzo out there, while still watching the Greens get outplayed and leaving the young guys on the bench. Our bench was at it's best running Bones/Forbes/Reed/Nnaji/Cousins and Cancar showed he was more than capable of playing meaningful minutes yet 3 of those guys are sitting at the end of the bench while we run the veterans that obviously cannot keep up with the Warriors constant movement.

We need to remove 1 of the Greens, Barton, Campazzo, and Howard (he is an undersize SG that cannot run the offense and cannot defend) and they need replaced with young guys that Connelly and our scouts find. Let Cousins come back and be the veteran bench guy, at least he can play his role, but our depth is gone and we need to rebuild it through youth and development like we built the original team.
skywalker33

Post#464 » by skywalker33 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:31 pm

The Rebel wrote:If anything this series has shown that we have to remove some of Malone's crutches. Malone's big change last night was throwing Campazzo out there, while still watching the Greens get outplayed and leaving the young guys on the bench. Our bench was at it's best running Bones/Forbes/Reed/Nnaji/Cousins and Cancar showed he was more than capable of playing meaningful minutes yet 3 of those guys are sitting at the end of the bench while we run the veterans that obviously cannot keep up with the Warriors constant movement.

Agreed, Malone does seem to prioritize playing veterans over developing the younger talent. Get rid of Campazzo and both Greens, move Barton (or whatever we can trade him for) to strengthen the bench, and get our starting unit healthy again.

The Rebel wrote:We need to remove 1 of the Greens, Barton, Campazzo, and Howard (he is an undersize SG that cannot run the offense and cannot defend) and they need replaced with young guys that Connelly and our scouts find. Let Cousins come back and be the veteran bench guy, at least he can play his role, but our depth is gone and we need to rebuild it through youth and development like we built the original team.

If at all possible, we really need to move on from these "vets", and ill-fitting players. We need to find more true shooters who can make those baskets (imagine how Joker's assists could look if we had guys that actually make some of those wide-open shots).

mirmil
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#465 » by mirmil » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:31 pm

I'd give Barton for 2nd or couple of 2nds and go for Monk since he is UFA this summer. We could offer Barton salary which would be enough to get him.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#466 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:12 pm

mirmil wrote:I'd give Barton for 2nd or couple of 2nds and go for Monk since he is UFA this summer. We could offer Barton salary which would be enough to get him.

Salary cap doesn't work that way, we are well above the salary cap next season and likely into the luxury tax, meaning the most we would be able to use to sign a player is the MLE or taxpayer MLE, depending on how deep we go into the luxury tax. We also cannot sign and trade for guys without cutting a lot of salary cap off.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#467 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:24 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:If anything this series has shown that we have to remove some of Malone's crutches. Malone's big change last night was throwing Campazzo out there, while still watching the Greens get outplayed and leaving the young guys on the bench. Our bench was at it's best running Bones/Forbes/Reed/Nnaji/Cousins and Cancar showed he was more than capable of playing meaningful minutes yet 3 of those guys are sitting at the end of the bench while we run the veterans that obviously cannot keep up with the Warriors constant movement.

Agreed, Malone does seem to prioritize playing veterans over developing the younger talent. Get rid of Campazzo and both Greens, move Barton (or whatever we can trade him for) to strengthen the bench, and get our starting unit healthy again.

The Rebel wrote:We need to remove 1 of the Greens, Barton, Campazzo, and Howard (he is an undersize SG that cannot run the offense and cannot defend) and they need replaced with young guys that Connelly and our scouts find. Let Cousins come back and be the veteran bench guy, at least he can play his role, but our depth is gone and we need to rebuild it through youth and development like we built the original team.

If at all possible, we really need to move on from these "vets", and ill-fitting players. We need to find more true shooters who can make those baskets (imagine how Joker's assists could look if we had guys that actually make some of those wide-open shots).

We have shooting, they were just all out, all of them. MPJ is capable of leading the league in 3 point shooting percentages at a high volume, NNaji was leading the league in 3 point shooting when he got hurt, Murray is a 40% 3 point shooter, even Cancar was shooting the 3 well this year.

It couldn't have just been me that saw how well our bench played those few games with Bones running point, Forbes at SG, Reed at SF, Nnaji at PF, and Cousins at C. I think we should focus on bringing back that bench, re-sign Cancar and maybe Rivers because they are cheap enough and hope we can hit on another pick or two.

We have to lose JaMychael Green, Campazzo, and Barton, and we need a true defensive SG and we need some health, but I do not think this team is as far away as many seem to think, if Malone would **** play the young guys.

By the way I am looking forward to your draft thread, while we don't always agree, I am beginning to think you should be a scout with some of the guys you screamed for and how they have done the last few years.
DaFan334
Analyst
And1: 969

Post#468 » by DaFan334 » Tue May 3, 2022 2:44 am

We have a lot of questions on next year's roster for a team without much cap flexibility. Some of those decisions are blow:

-Do we move on from Will Barton? I kind of doubt it. Fans may not like him, but if he isn't a 2nd option and is more in that 3/4th option role, he is still better than a lot of players in the league. He's also more of a leader in the clubhouse than people think.

-Facu has to be gone. Just doesn't work that well. I have trouble seeing him in the league again.

-Austin Rivers might be back on a minimum salary, end of bench sort of guy that give you some depth. I worry that Malone would rely on him too much but he had some moments.

-Is Vlatko back? This is an interesting one. When he got time, he didn't look that bad. He is supposedly one of Jokers best friends. I just don't know if you waste the roster sport or if getting rid of him is something Joker would be mad about.

-Jeff Green has a players option. I'm not sure if he accepts it or not. He and Joker are apparently close and eat dinner together on a regular basis. I thought he was a great fit and would be much better coming off the bench. You might have to move JaMychal to keep Jeff though. I personally would like to see him back but I think its all up to him.

-Demarcus I really want back but it kind of sounds like he wants a starting role. I kind of hope that he doesn't find that and we can keep him on the Tax Payers MLE. He is a great fit IMO and I really want him back.

-I doubt Bryn Forbes is back. He is just so inconsistent and kind of buckles under pressure in the playoffs.

-I think its time to move on from Markus Howard. We need more defense. He might find a nitche somewhere, but I don't think its here.

-Davon Reed is a guy we should bring back and possibly have on the playoff roster. I think if Facu would have gotten that Flagorant 2 with a week left in the season, the team might have cut him to sign Reed to the active roster. The fact that they didn't do that to Cancar, makes me think they will keep him around, if just to appease Jokic.
Richard Miller
Starter
And1: 2,298

Post#469 » by Richard Miller » Wed May 4, 2022 4:53 pm

DaFan334 wrote:-Do we move on from Will Barton? I kind of doubt it. Fans may not like him, but if he isn't a 2nd option and is more in that 3/4th option role, he is still better than a lot of players in the league.

He is not. Almost every stat out there has him as one of the worst starters in the entire league, including rookies and tanking teams. He was also top 5 worst players in the playoffs if I saw correctly. I was 100% for giving him another chance, but I think he needs to go if they can get anything in return for his expiring contract.

DaFan334 wrote:-Demarcus I really want back but it kind of sounds like he wants a starting role. I kind of hope that he doesn't find that and we can keep him on the Tax Payers MLE. He is a great fit IMO and I really want him back.

I don't think he's in shape or age to play 30+ minutes in a starting role, might go ok for a while but he won't last a season. If he's smart he should stay since this is the perfect fit for him. Unless someone decides to throw money at him.

DaFan334 wrote:The fact that they didn't do that to Cancar, makes me think they will keep him around, if just to appease Jokic.

Not cutting him means they kept his Bird rights, whether he stays or gets included in a trade, I guess we'll see, but I don't think they let him walk.
Richard Miller
Starter
And1: 2,298

Post#470 » by Richard Miller » Wed May 4, 2022 8:50 pm

Well, at least Malone seems to be quite aware of the deficiencies, good interview

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#471 » by The Rebel » Thu May 5, 2022 3:20 am

Richard Miller wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:-Do we move on from Will Barton? I kind of doubt it. Fans may not like him, but if he isn't a 2nd option and is more in that 3/4th option role, he is still better than a lot of players in the league.

He is not. Almost every stat out there has him as one of the worst starters in the entire league, including rookies and tanking teams. He was also top 5 worst players in the playoffs if I saw correctly. I was 100% for giving him another chance, but I think he needs to go if they can get anything in return for his expiring contract.

Will is an iso scorer that needs the ball in his hands more to be effective, I still say he would be best as a 6th man and can see some team wanting him for that. He is not a great fit with Jokic and with Murray and MPJ coming back and him always refusing to come off the bench than I do not see how or why we would keep him. The question is going to be if the Kroenkes are going to okay more money next year? I think there are some defensive players like KCP or that type for Barton as a lot of teams need a guy who can create his own shot even with his issues. We might even get a 2nd or 3rd tier type prospect as well for him.

I also think it is time to lose his leadership in the locker room, with a young bad team it is great to have a guy with irrational confidence, but we don't need that so much now. We need JOkic and Murray to finally take full control of the locker room.

Richard Miller wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:-Demarcus I really want back but it kind of sounds like he wants a starting role. I kind of hope that he doesn't find that and we can keep him on the Tax Payers MLE. He is a great fit IMO and I really want him back.

I don't think he's in shape or age to play 30+ minutes in a starting role, might go ok for a while but he won't last a season. If he's smart he should stay since this is the perfect fit for him. Unless someone decides to throw money at him.

I agree that he can't play 30 minutes a game, Even in limited minutes he got hurt with the Bucks and missed some time with us. However there are some desperate teams with the 1 start he got he put up a monster game and the way he played those last couple of games in the playoffs someone may convince themselves he can start and overpay him. If we can find a way to keep him I would love to do it, but he is not worth overpaying for.
Richard Miller wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:The fact that they didn't do that to Cancar, makes me think they will keep him around, if just to appease Jokic.

Not cutting him means they kept his Bird rights, whether he stays or gets included in a trade, I guess we'll see, but I don't think they let him walk.

I don't know why Cancar gets so disrespected by Nuggets fans. The guy plays solid on both ends, shoots and scores pretty well for a bench guy, and doesn't make mistakes. He has some injury issues, but if we can keep him I don't know why we would let him walk.
Coeur
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#472 » by Coeur » Wed May 11, 2022 7:46 pm

Kendall Brown
Jaden Hardy
dyson Daniels
Tari Eason

One or more of these guys could potentially be available at Nugs pick. Perfect draft class for nugs needs. I expect a Hyland level impact or better from this years draft. Really hope for adding pick in same range ir close

Great sg draft. Sg-f
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#473 » by The Rebel » Sun May 15, 2022 4:26 pm

I still am of the opinion that we need to trade for a good defensive SG while removing BArton. Here is a couple of trades I think make sense for everybody involved.

Magic Trade Ross, Hampton, 32 and 35 for Barton and the 10th overall pick

Hampton seems to be the odd man out of their young guards and Ross reportedly has requested a trade, Barton is great for a young team that needs someone with irrational confidence, the 10th pick allows them to pick up another young guy that they can use for their rebuild.

Wizards trade KCP, Ish Smith, and the 10th overall pick for Monte Morris, Terrance Ross, and the 35th overall pick.

Deal gets them a starting PG which they have needed since Wall went down and they get a bench utility guy that can score on iso plays and run the bench when Beal is off the court.

Nuggets trade Morris and Barton for KCP, Hampton, Ish SMith, and the 31st overall pick.

This deal gets us a starting defensive SG, Hampton with Bones makes a heck of a young backcourt going forward as our primary bench guards, and Ish is there as our 3rd PG as a veteran that can play meaningful minutes but not good enough to bitch about roles.

Nuggets and the KNicks
Morris and Barton for Burks, Walker, Reddish, and the 41st overall pick

With Walkers having knee issues the Knicks need a starting PG desperately, and obviously Thibs is not a fan of Reddish. This gets us a start SG in Burks who is a decent utility type of SG, and we get to see what Malone and company can develop Reddish into. I personally think he has the talent to be a very good 2 way starting SF which we will need to backup MPJ.
Manolito
Junior
And1: 309

Post#474 » by Manolito » Wed May 18, 2022 8:21 am

If OKC select Banchero, it makes 0 sense a lineup with SGA, Dort, Giddey, Banchero and a Center. No spacing at all, nobody shooting over 35% 3PT.

Lou Dort might be available at an affordable price and he is extension eligible this summer.

Other names Josh Hart (expiring) and Gary Payton are less attractive IMO.
Coeur
Analyst

Post#475 » by Coeur » Wed May 18, 2022 3:31 pm

The Rebel wrote:I still am of the opinion that we need to trade for a good defensive SG while removing BArton. Here is a couple of trades I think make sense for everybody involved.

Magic Trade Ross, Hampton, 32 and 35 for Barton and the 10th overall pick

Hampton seems to be the odd man out of their young guards and Ross reportedly has requested a trade, Barton is great for a young team that needs someone with irrational confidence, the 10th pick allows them to pick up another young guy that they can use for their rebuild.

Wizards trade KCP, Ish Smith, and the 10th overall pick for Monte Morris, Terrance Ross, and the 35th overall pick.

Deal gets them a starting PG which they have needed since Wall went down and they get a bench utility guy that can score on iso plays and run the bench when Beal is off the court.

Nuggets trade Morris and Barton for KCP, Hampton, Ish SMith, and the 31st overall pick.

This deal gets us a starting defensive SG, Hampton with Bones makes a heck of a young backcourt going forward as our primary bench guards, and Ish is there as our 3rd PG as a veteran that can play meaningful minutes but not good enough to bitch about roles.

Nuggets and the KNicks
Morris and Barton for Burks, Walker, Reddish, and the 41st overall pick

With Walkers having knee issues the Knicks need a starting PG desperately, and obviously Thibs is not a fan of Reddish. This gets us a start SG in Burks who is a decent utility type of SG, and we get to see what Malone and company can develop Reddish into. I personally think he has the talent to be a very good 2 way starting SF which we will need to backup MPJ.

I’m with the general direction. Don’t think first trade works for Washington with pick 10 being too valuable. Next 2 trades are pretty possible and that’s the scary part. There may be no way to trade Barton for value

Monte Morris clearly the best value to trade. And I like the ide of wizards. Pacers and some other teams, maybe hawks could all be possible for Monte

The draft is so much more value in looking for SG than there are in veterans possibly available around the league. I get it’s being more conservative and prob realistic to think about filling starting SG with a veteran over a rookie @ pick 21 but Kendall Brown, Beauchamp, Bryce McGowans and others with potential to be super high impact players could be available at 21. Jaden Hardy, dyson Daniels, Mathurin, Johnny Davis all at SG supposed to go by 21 more likely… just want to see every big possible be picked before 21. I even like procida or Peyton Watson a lot at some point

Nugs will get a great shot at a long term SG at 21. The chances of getting a veteran upgrade at SG don’t seem good. Guess they have to try both.
Coeur
Analyst

Post#476 » by Coeur » Wed May 18, 2022 3:37 pm

I really like pistons young backup guards Diallo and Killian Hayes. Could either or both be more available if the draft plays out for them getting a SG? Seems like they might be in line for Sharpe @5 or wish for Ivey to fall to them.
skywalker33

Post#477 » by skywalker33 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:22 am

Wolves in talks to make Tim Connelly their President of Basketball Operations, bad news IMO. Could easily see Josh letting him walk, he's got no backbone to say NO

DaFan334
Analyst

Post#478 » by DaFan334 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:48 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Wolves in talks to make Tim Connelly their President of Basketball Operations, bad news IMO. Could easily see Josh letting him walk, he's got no backbone to say NO

Some talk that they are offering him an ownership stake, which I believe would be a first in the NBA if that is true. If that's the case, I can't fault the Kroenkes or Connelly if he were to go. While it wouldn't be ideal, we have groomed Calvin Booth for a couple of years now, just like Connelly under Ujiri and Arturas Karnisovas under Connelly. I do think it would take quite a bit, seeing as Connelly turned down the Washington job a few years ago.
DaFan334
Analyst

Post#479 » by DaFan334 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:49 pm

Coeur wrote:I really like pistons young backup guards Diallo and Killian Hayes. Could either or both be more available if the draft plays out for them getting a SG? Seems like they might be in line for Sharpe @5 or wish for Ivey to fall to them.

Do we really need more guards that can't shoot?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#480 » by The Rebel » Fri May 20, 2022 3:14 pm

My comments from the general board Connelly thread, can someone explain to me why losing Connelly is the end of the world?

The Rebel wrote:The point is maybe we need a different voice in the front office at this point. You have not convinced me that he is the right answer just because the Minny owners have him as a top 5 front office guy, my point is simple. He took over that 57 win team, announced a down year, and next thing you know it was a 36 and then a 30 win team. When Gallo got hurt it was obvious that was mismanaged, but the fact is his big signing the year he joined the Nuggets was JJ HIckson, after multiple stops and showing he was a failure. He panicked and signed Randy Foye, after he was convinced Igoudala was coming back despite everybody knowing Igoudala was gone during the playoff series, but he made some major mistakes. He also waited way to long to trade the veterans after it became obvious that they did not want Faried, Gallo bailed, and Chandler became injury done.

There may not be a better NBA talent scout than Connelly, I would love to see someone argue otherwise, he is an amazing scout and not just for Jokic. FAct is though we have 1 pick in the next 2 years. Jokic is also entering his prime, we cannot afford to develop a bunch of young guys and compete for a championship. We have a lot of young talent that ended up injured but they need development time and have none because of Connelly's biggest issue with building a team.

Connelly gets attached to our guys, it is like he is close friends with most of them. Just about everybody he has traded, he traded months to years too late. 3 years ago we had a stacked team, Vanderbilt a guy who started on a playoff team couldn't get a minute of time here, Beasley was the 5th guard. By the time he traded them they had next to no value.

He has found a couple of young guys floating around the Gleague and overseas that we got as free agents like Dozier and Torrey Craig, but overall he has been terrible in free agency since the start. We signed JaMychael Green and Jeff Green on the same day, despite having NNaji, Bol, and Cancar who all play Power Forward, meanwhile we let McGee walk after giving up 2 2nd round picks for him and never signed a true backup Center until Cousins.

Connelly came to the Nuggets with 3 1st round picks in 2016, the KNicks pick, and the Knicks swap that became Murray. He did his job, he built a very talented young team, and then he has made 2 years of mistakes. Maybe the Nuggets wouldn't mind to get a guy who is better at knowing when to make trades and how to fill roster holes through Free Agency. They are different skill sets.

Return to Denver Nuggets