ImageImageImage

2017 offseason

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,278

Re: 2017 offseason 

Post#1041 » by skywalker33 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:36 pm

A bit confused, under a month until training camp and yet no word of Plumlee close to signing, are we just putting the QO out there? They haven't recinded the rights to make him a FA or filled that 15th roster spot so we have to have some interest in him. Is it all on Mason's side or am I missing something ? Have a hard time believing we'll go into camp with only one guy over 6'11
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#1042 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

skywalker33 wrote:A bit confused, under a month until training camp and yet no word of Plumlee close to signing, are we just putting the QO out there? They haven't recinded the rights to make him a FA or filled that 15th roster spot so we have to have some interest in him. Is it all on Mason's side or am I missing something ? Have a hard time believing we'll go into camp with only one guy over 6'11

Yeah, I've been puzzling over that. I'm not sure we need a 15 man roster with the depth we have, although that depth is only there at guard and power forward, so it's hard to say. For a couple of years now, the Nuggets have played 6'9" guys as backup centers. Maybe they've decided extreme-small-ball is the way to go - no one over 6'11". Seems stupid to me, but the Nuggets have built a roster that seems stupid to me, but what do I know? I'd be looking for 3 centers & 3 PFs & 3 SFs & 3 SGs & 3 PGs with at least one veteran and at least one young player at each position.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#1043 » by Alatan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 pm

I guess we are going all offense this season. Should be fun. :)
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1044 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Alatan wrote:I guess we are going all offense this season. Should be fun. :)

Didn't our front office say they wanted defense this year? :banghead:
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1045 » by Alatan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:41 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

They did bring Millsap but i doubt he is enough. Maybe his work ethic and defensive principles rub of on the young guys and they make a nice step up defensively.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,348

Post#1046 » by The Rebel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

They have also said that defense can be learned and the team needs to work on improving that area.

Alatan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

They did bring Millsap but i doubt he is enough. Maybe his work ethic and defensive principles rub of on the young guys and they make a nice step up defensively.

I think removing Gallo totally from the equation and having Nelson on minimally will help as much as getting Millsap as a player. Though I do think that Millsap can also teach guys how to play defense and be the defensive quarterback type, the young guys especially showed last year that they were willing to put in the effort, maybe being on the court with Millsap and with our coaching staff they will improve. Millsap is the 1st real defensive leader we have brought in since Igoudala left, prior to him was KMart, and without that guy the defense has suffered.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1047 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 am

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

They have also said that defense can be learned and the team needs to work on improving that area.

Alatan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Didn't our front office say they wanted defense this year? :banghead:

I think removing Gallo totally from the equation and having Nelson on minimally will help as much as getting Millsap as a player. Though I do think that Millsap can also teach guys how to play defense and be the defensive quarterback type, the young guys especially showed last year that they were willing to put in the effort, maybe being on the court with Millsap and with our coaching staff they will improve. Millsap is the 1st real defensive leader we have brought in since Igoudala left, prior to him was KMart, and without that guy the defense has suffered.

Perhaps, but do you really think Malone will play Nelson less than half a game?
Also, if defense can be learned, then why did the Nuggets as a team, become worse each of the last two years? Poor coaching?
Arguable our two best defensive players were Chandler & Harris - they both regressed. Did they get worse? Or was it the team's defensive scheme? ((( The latter is my opinion.

Also, when they said "defense" the also said "length" and "athletic". They drafted neither and as much as I love Millsap, that is not the description of his excellent defense. He plays with brains. I'm not drinking the front office's kool aid.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#1048 » by DaFan334 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I doubt Childress makes the team, but he could actually provide depth at the 3. We would need to make some moves to keep him, but he was good when he was younger, not sure how he has held up. Playing in Greece was probably a poor career move.
skywalker33

Post#1049 » by skywalker33 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Training camp body. Always thought Childress was a plus defender but at 34 he's probably lost more than just a step

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1050 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Nuggets signed Josh Childress to a non-guaranteed contract.

Good move? Maybe, because he's a 6'8" wing man with a 6'11" wingspan and is a good defender at multiple positions. (( :lol: Maybe they want to play him at PF?" :banghead: ) Actually, he'll make a nice backup at SF.

Bad move? He's 34 years old and that's 15 players with only one center.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1051 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Thinking about the center position::: options?

Bogut would probably sign a veteran minimum. He played poorly last year in Dallas and has had injury issues. However, if the Nuggets just wanted him for insurance and very limited minutes, he might be a decent choice. In Golden State, he fit well and Denver's system is closer to Golden State's than Dallas' system. He'd be a decent mentor-type for Jokic and a good presence for the entire team.

Hibbert might be a decent veteran minimum. Again, if Denver just wanted him for insurance and very limited minutes, he might be a decent choice. He'd also be a decent mentor-type for Jokic as well as a good presence for the team.

Plumlee --- probably the best Jokic-backup in the league or out of the league. He plays in a somewhat similar manner to Jokic and fits well with the way Malone likes to play and fits well with the Nuggets. We already know all that. Are the Nuggets going to wait until his price is really low and then sign him cheap? Not a classy move even though it makes good business sense. That would probably mean they could expect him to leave as soon as his contract is up and if he plays well, somebody else might just grab him.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1052 » by Alatan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Is Plumplee going to sign the qualifying offer? I like the idea of Bogut as a 3rd center. He knows to play defense without athleticism and could show Jokic some veteran tricks. I think that Lydon should go to a development league first.

What do you guys think of dropping this season and trading Chandler and Barton for Hill and NOP 19 1st ? We would get a defensive wing and gamble on NOP blowing up giving us a high 1st. We could play Beasley, Mudiay, Hernangomez and Murray more without the fear of not making the playoffs. The only problem is we waste the precious years of Millsap witch is very sad for me.
skywalker33

Post#1053 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Alatan wrote:Is Plumplee going to sign the qualifying offer? I like the idea of Bogut as a 3rd center. He knows to play defense without athleticism and could show Jokic some veteran tricks. I think that Lydon should go to a development league first.

What do you guys think of dropping this season and trading Chandler and Barton for Hill and NOP 19 1st ? We would get a defensive wing and gamble on NOP blowing up giving us a high 1st. We could play Beasley, Mudiay, Hernangomez and Murray more without the fear of not making the playoffs. The only problem is we waste the precious years of Millsap witch is very sad for me.

You'd have a hard time tanking with the FO in full belief we are a playoff team, worrying attendance will drop even more. Also, whose to say NOP would even consider that deal ?? They've thrown away so many of their 1st's so far and they have to BUILD around AD not make it easy for him to walk.

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#1054 » by MidMountain » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm

My guess is that Plumlee is deciding between the QO and a longer term offer of a low-salary, team-friendly contract. I'd be very surprised if he was not with the team in training camp.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1055 » by Alatan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:Is Plumplee going to sign the qualifying offer? I like the idea of Bogut as a 3rd center. He knows to play defense without athleticism and could show Jokic some veteran tricks. I think that Lydon should go to a development league first.

You'd have a hard time tanking with the FO in full belief we are a playoff team, worrying attendance will drop even more. Also, whose to say NOP would even consider that deal ?? They've thrown away so many of their 1st's so far and they have to BUILD around AD not make it easy for him to walk.

I don't think of it as real tanking but as a one year sacrifice to develop our young guys.

Dont know would the pelicans accept the deal but i'm thinking something like this. Hill is a good defensive wing that can shoot open threes. He is injured for the whole season so he is useless for this critical year for NOP.
The pels have no one at the 3 position and no one to score from the bench. Chandler and Barton are perfect for them and we probably wont keep them around after this season.
The 19 NOP 1st could go from top 7 top bottom 7 depending how successful the next season and offseason is. So basically we would give them a playoff run for an injured hill and gamble on them blowing up. When Hill returns from his injury we have a versatile wing defender on a decent contract and possibly a top 7 pick that we could trade for a good player or draft a good prospect.
Edit: Oh yeah, i think NOP cant go the draft route to build around AD. He is approaching his prime and he cant wait 1 year to draft a rookie and another 3 to develop him. Their window to build around AD is closing...

I was going to propose this trade on their forum but first im curious would we do it.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1056 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 am

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

I don't think of it as real tanking but as a one year sacrifice to develop our young guys.

Dont know would the pelicans accept the deal but i'm thinking something like this. Hill is a good defensive wing that can shoot open threes. He is injured for the whole season so he is useless for this critical year for NOP.
The pels have no one at the 3 position and no one to score from the bench. Chandler and Barton are perfect for them and we probably wont keep them around after this season.
The 19 NOP 1st could go from top 7 top bottom 7 depending how successful the next season and offseason is. So basically we would give them a playoff run for an injured hill and gamble on them blowing up. When Hill returns from his injury we have a versatile wing defender on a decent contract and possibly a top 7 pick that we could trade for a good player or draft a good prospect.
Edit: Oh yeah, i think NOP cant go the draft route to build around AD. He is approaching his prime and he cant wait 1 year to draft a rookie and another 3 to develop him. Their window to build around AD is closing...

I was going to propose this trade on their forum but first im curious would we do it.

I'm all for trading Chandler & Barton and New Orleans could truly use both - but I do not want Hill back in exchange. His shooting percentage is not very good and he's got a 3 year contract. I'd rather let Chandler & Barton walk for nothing than pick up another 3 year contract. Millsap's is good because he can play at a top level. Arthur's is bad because he can't seem to stay healthy. Hill's is bad because he can't shoot and at the SF slot, shooting is the name of the game.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1057 » by Alatan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

I'm all for trading Chandler & Barton and New Orleans could truly use both - but I do not want Hill back in exchange. His shooting percentage is not very good and he's got a 3 year contract. I'd rather let Chandler & Barton walk for nothing than pick up another 3 year contract. Millsap's is good because he can play at a top level. Arthur's is bad because he can't seem to stay healthy. Hill's is bad because he can't shoot and at the SF slot, shooting is the name of the game.

Yeah Hill is not a good offensive player, but i recon with Jokic on the team he might be passable. On the other hand he is a versatile defender that can hit some jumpers and we could really use some wing defense. There arent many 3nD players out there. He wouldnt even need to start later on. He could be something like a 6th, 7th man.

If Harris steps up defensively the lineup bellow might be good on that side of the floor.

Jokic/Someone
Millsap/Hernangomez
Hill/Hernangomez
Harris/Beasley
Murray/Mudiay

There is a lack of spacing on the wings but maybe if we stagger it somehow with Hernangomez it would be enough...I'm not in love with this idea but we need to have some good defenders for playoffs. Im not sure we can get better players for Chandler and Barton. On the other hand we can push for playoffs and then let them go but i dont know will we be able to get someone in free agency and not overpay him. Maybe we could throw a max on Klay Thompson in 19 but i doubt we would get him. Hills contract is not too bad for what he brings. As a defender of the bench he could get what 6 mill a year and he gets 6 more. Since we have a decent amount of guys on rookie contracts i think we can swallow that 6 mill burden.

If NOP implodes and Lebron leaves Cavs, we could maybe trade NOP pick for Crowder +/-. I dont think the pels would drop too low to give as an opportunity to trade the pick plus something for a star player. Maybe Durant likes what we built and decides to come over hehe.
skywalker33

Post#1058 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 am

Alatan wrote:I don't think of it as real tanking but as a one year sacrifice to develop our young guys.

You don't see it as tanking, but I still say the FO would have a few problems with it, probably some of the players too.

Alatan wrote:Dont know would the pelicans accept the deal but i'm thinking something like this. Hill is a good defensive wing that can shoot open threes. He is injured for the whole season so he is useless for this critical year for NOP.

Think your logic is a bit flawed, if we provide them with a very capable SF as well as firepower off the bench to go along with their already formidable inside game of AD/Cousins, they are probably playoff capable. They could even knock us out of the playoffs IMO, NOT what I want to happen for a mid-to-late teens 1st as well as reducing our future cap space.

Alatan wrote: Oh yeah, i think NOP cant go the draft route to build around AD. He is approaching his prime and he cant wait 1 year to draft a rookie and another 3 to develop him. Their window to build around AD is closing...

Davis is only 24yo, he's still a couple of years away from his prime. It'd be stupid not to add youth as they've traded away several 1st already trying to bring in ready talent and they're still a lottery team. That strategy isn't really a strong suit of their GM.

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1059 » by Alatan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:04 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:I don't think of it as real tanking but as a one year sacrifice to develop our young guys.

You don't see it as tanking, but I still say the FO would have a few problems with it, probably some of the players too.

Alatan wrote:Dont know would the pelicans accept the deal but i'm thinking something like this. Hill is a good defensive wing that can shoot open threes. He is injured for the whole season so he is useless for this critical year for NOP.

Think your logic is a bit flawed, if we provide them with a very capable SF as well as firepower off the bench to go along with their already formidable inside game of AD/Cousins, they are probably playoff capable. They could even knock us out of the playoffs IMO, NOT what I want to happen for a mid-to-late teens 1st as well as reducing our future cap space.

Alatan wrote: Oh yeah, i think NOP cant go the draft route to build around AD. He is approaching his prime and he cant wait 1 year to draft a rookie and another 3 to develop him. Their window to build around AD is closing...

Davis is only 24yo, he's still a couple of years away from his prime. It'd be stupid not to add youth as they've traded away several 1st already trying to bring in ready talent and they're still a lottery team. That strategy isn't really a strong suit of their GM.

If we give them Chandler and Barton they are in the playoffs for sure. I was more thinking that they would get beat in the playoffs due to bad chemistry/coaching. Then there is their salary problem so they certainly couldnt improve and there would be a question could they even keep all the guys they would have. Cousins could leave for Washington and Barton would want to get paid. Chandler could also take his player option. So there is a big chance that they implode after this season and then suck in the 18/19 season witch would not be a mid-late teens but a top 10 pick.

Davis is 25 next year and 26 by the 2019 draft waiting for a rookie to help him win. Since rookies usually need 2-3 years to develop it would mean Davis is 28-29 by the time he gets that player. Since he has a player option in 2020 do you think he will wait for that rookie to become a player ?
skywalker33

Post#1060 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 am

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

If we give them Chandler and Barton they are in the playoffs for sure. I was more thinking that they would get beat in the playoffs due to bad chemistry/coaching. Then there is their salary problem so they certainly couldnt improve and there would be a question could they even keep all the guys they would have. Cousins could leave for Washington and Barton would want to get paid. Chandler could also take his player option. So there is a big chance that they implode after this season and then suck in the 18/19 season witch would not be a mid-late teens but a top 10 pick.

Davis is 25 next year and 26 by the 2019 draft waiting for a rookie to help him win. Since rookies usually need 2-3 years to develop it would mean Davis is 28-29 by the time he gets that player. Since he has a player option in 2020 do you think he will wait for that rookie to become a player ?

A lot of assumptions there, but to each his own.

Since we're in need of a interior defense and rim-protector, a name I've been hearing is back on the market is Andrew Bynum. Hearing he is on the verge of a full recovery and about 4-7 teams are keeping tabs on him. He was a player that had All-Star potential but hasn't played since 2015. He's only 29 and could have a bigger impact than Plumlee at around the same price.

Any thoughts ?

Return to Denver Nuggets