ImageImageImage

Nikola Jokic MVPx2, FMVP, and.. still counting!

Moderator: THE J0KER

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Re: Jokic's production 

Post#121 » by MidMountain » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:03 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:OK, the Nuggets are going to allow Jokic to become a free agent. We won't know what's going on behind the scenes but hopefully, if they let things move slowly and another team makes an offer, they've already persuaded Jokic he's their number one priority and they are trying to do other things to help the team before the sign him to a contract (that hopefully he has already seen and agreed to).

It's hard to imagine they would do anything else.

((( Of course if they were to sign someone else, they'd be paying luxury tax for sure, but maybe, just maybe ownership will go all-in on the luxury tax for one year. )))

There is no cap space unless they clear salary so there is no need to wait on signing him.

If they could clear some salary space such as Faried & Chandler without taking back more salary; could they not sign a free agent then sign Jokic? Yes, it's a long-shot with our front office and rather unlikely, still ...

I was playing with (http://www.shamsports.com/capulator)
If we cleared:
Faried ~13.5
Chandler ~13
Arthur ~7.5
We'd have about 17 mil under the cap to spend on a free agent. Renounce Barton and we'd have ~23.
The other potential reason to wait on Jokic signing is the mid-level exception is 3 mil bigger for non-tax teams.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,353

Post#122 » by The Rebel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 pm

MidMountain wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:There is no cap space unless they clear salary so there is no need to wait on signing him.

If they could clear some salary space such as Faried & Chandler without taking back more salary; could they not sign a free agent then sign Jokic? Yes, it's a long-shot with our front office and rather unlikely, still ...

If we cleared:
Faried ~13.5
Chandler ~13
Arthur ~7.5
We'd have about 17 mil under the cap to spend on a free agent. Renounce Barton and we'd have ~23.
The other potential reason to wait on Jokic signing is the mid-level exception is 3 mil bigger for non-tax teams.

Once you sign the non-tax MLE than you have the Tax apron that you cannot go over, and if you use cap space to sign a player, than yuo will have to renounce the full MLE and use the room exception. So realistically the best we can do is get a $23 million a year player, a room exception player, and resign Jokic, but that is going to cost a lot of young players and picks to clear that room.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#123 » by The Rebel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Found an interesting tweet thread froma reporter out of Utah, that shows just how good Jokic really is.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#124 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:45 pm

The Rebel wrote:
MidMountain wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:If they could clear some salary space such as Faried & Chandler without taking back more salary; could they not sign a free agent then sign Jokic? Yes, it's a long-shot with our front office and rather unlikely, still ...

If we cleared:
Faried ~13.5
Chandler ~13
Arthur ~7.5

Once you sign the non-tax MLE than you have the Tax apron that you cannot go over, and if you use cap space to sign a player, than yuo will have to renounce the full MLE and use the room exception. So realistically the best we can do is get a $23 million a year player, a room exception player, and resign Jokic, but that is going to cost a lot of young players and picks to clear that room.

Whether they do it or not, it might be in the Nuggets' best interest to just keep what they have, re-signing just Morris & Craig while letting Barton & D.Harris & Jefferson go. That would require Craig & Morris to sign two-way contracts again, unless the Nuggets can open up some slots. That also leaves the Nuggets without a backup PG. That also leaves the Nuggets with no where to put any stash players or this year's second round picks.

Looks like our front office still has some work to do. Salary cap issues might be less important than how they fill their roster. I'll wait until training camp to see how they've done.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,641

Post#125 » by youngthegiant » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Jokic last 3 months averaged 21.7 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 7.2 apg when he didn’t have to play next to Plumlee full time. They went 20-11 in that stretch, which is on pace for a 53 win season. They also had Millsap growing pains during that stretch, which cost them 3-4 wins. So if Malone doesn’t throw his I’m not making any changes tantrum. Denver is in the playoffs and they are the 3rd seed. I have high expectations for this team, If they are healthy last season and play the right style of basketball that takes advantages of their players. They probably get to 55-57 wins. Shame Malone single handedly ruined their chances. If Denver had a good coach. I’d be 100% certain they are a playoff team next year. But with Malone, you never know what you are going to get.
kololoco
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#126 » by kololoco » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:36 am

Hey guys. Love your team. A lot of time players are called "unicorns", but I really feel Jokic is possibly the only unicorn in the game now. Other players are just athletic freaks, but that is not a unicorn. A player with such a skill set as Jokic is something I have never seen in my life.

And the rest of your team is very nice and I think they compliment each other great. You have two weak spots, shooting forward (next year MPJ) and coach. If he coach doesn't do too much next season, you guys are on your way to a 55 win season. I really feel that no team can have a consistent answer to a Jokic centered offence. And that is incredible considering that the league is so guard oriented now. But he is just so superior, he can pass, shoot, drive, back to the basket, rebound. His defence is solid, and plus becuase of the lack of great centers now it is not as important. Can't wait for next season to see where you are at because I feel that Jokic and Harris are already at or close to their peaks, they got used to Millsap, and I expect Murray to make a big jump this year to his full potential. That is one scary team.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,602

Post#127 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm

kololoco wrote:Hey guys. Love your team. A lot of time players are called "unicorns", but I really feel Jokic is possibly the only unicorn in the game now. Other players are just athletic freaks, but that is not a unicorn. A player with such a skill set as Jokic is something I have never seen in my life.

And the rest of your team is very nice and I think they compliment each other great. You have two weak spots, shooting forward (next year MPJ) and coach. If he coach doesn't do too much next season, you guys are on your way to a 55 win season. I really feel that no team can have a consistent answer to a Jokic centered offence. And that is incredible considering that the league is so guard oriented now. But he is just so superior, he can pass, shoot, drive, back to the basket, rebound. His defence is solid, and plus becuase of the lack of great centers now it is not as important. Can't wait for next season to see where you are at because I feel that Jokic and Harris are already at or close to their peaks, they got used to Millsap, and I expect Murray to make a big jump this year to his full potential. That is one scary team.

Thank you for your words which are actually some kind of the resume which big majority of Denver fans feel and thinking right now about current Denver team.

Personally, I'm more than impressed about how Celtics played whole this season without Hayward, and especially about a sensational playoff run without Irving. Let's hope all these sincere words of respect, support and congratulations between Nuggets and Celtics fans will be very soon replaced with hate and insults because we are going to be new NBA arch-enemies in the upcoming 2020+ era :lol: :lol: :lol:
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:48 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
kololoco wrote:Hey guys. Love your team. A lot of time players are called "unicorns", but I really feel Jokic is possibly the only unicorn in the game now. Other players are just athletic freaks, but that is not a unicorn. A player with such a skill set as Jokic is something I have never seen in my life.

Thank you for your words which are actually some kind of the resume which big majority of Denver fans feel and thinking right now about current Denver team.

Personally, I'm more than impressed about how Celtics played whole this season without Hayward, and especially about a sensational playoff run without Irving. Let's hope all these sincere words of respect, support and congratulations between Nuggets and Celtics fans will be very soon replaced with hate and insults because we are going to be new NBA arch-enemies in the upcoming 2020+ era :lol: :lol: :lol:

May our hatred between our teams grow greatly, but not until we meet in the finals. :nod:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#129 » by THE J0KER » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 pm

In Serbia is published this Summer book "NBA Serbia" about Serbian NBA players. The most interesting information about Nikola Jokic for me from that book is the fact that (according to Jokic manager Misko Raznatovic) in May of 2014 Nikola didn't have any meeting or any kind of conversation with Arturas Karnisovas which visiting Belgrade to watch him. AK meet and talked only with Jokic manager, who not informed Nikola about the agreement to send him in Denver already that summer after upcoming draft. He only informed Jokic older brother about that, which also supported the plan. Jokic worked at the time on his body, awarded that he is still not ready for Spanish ACB league, despite already next season he will maybe sign a contract with Barcelona. Jokic never too much seriously thought that he will ever play in NBA, especially not so soon, so on the night of 2014 NBA draft he not only didn't care who will pick him, but he literally oversleep that draft when he is chosen (note that in Belgrade time-zone Draft is about 02-03 AM). His brother was in USA and woke up Joker with fon call to congrats him, but Nikola interrupted the call because wanted to continue to sleeping. :lol: :lol:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#130 » by THE J0KER » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:04 pm

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#131 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:44 pm

The key fact about "Jokic's production" subject is assists (passing).

In the Jokic case, the most important stats are assists. Simple because it is the best indicator of which role he played some game. When he running Denver offense as point-center that is the best case for Denver. Last season out of 51 games when Jokic collected at least 5+ assists, Nuggets won 34 (67%) which is equal to 53 wins in the season, and in the rest of 31 games, Denver won only 12 (31%, equal to just 25 season wins). BTW Jokic career winning percentage in games when he has 9+ assists is 85% (22-4), Denver is almost invincible!

If Jokic will run our offense whole next season, we have all reasons to hope about TOP5 seed on the stacked West!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:02 am

THE J0KER wrote:The key fact about "Jokic's production" subject is assists (passing).

In the Jokic case, the most important stats are assists. Simple because it is the best indicator of which role he played some game. When he running Denver offense as point-center that is the best case for Denver. Last season out of 51 games when Jokic collected at least 5+ assists, Nuggets won 34 (67%) which is equal to 53 wins in the season, and in the rest of 31 games, Denver won only 12 (31%, equal to just 25 season wins). BTW Jokic career winning percentage in games when he has 9+ assists is 85% (22-4), Denver is almost invincible!

If Jokic will run our offense whole next season, we have all reasons to hope about TOP5 seed on the stacked West!

That last sentence is so very important and it's not in his control.

I still believe that Jokic should take more shots because that will open up the lanes for more assists. It will draw defenders closer to him and make them more aware of him - making assists easier to get.

But I could argue the other side of that, that he should focus on getting more assists because it will cause defenders to worry more about everyone else and Jokic will get more open shots.

Either way - I would love to see Jokic lead the team in usage!
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#133 » by Baller1234a » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Can he work in a fast uptempo System?
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,321

Post#134 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Baller1234a wrote:Can he work in a fast uptempo System?

I believe we were one of the top 5 teams last year as far as pace goes, certainly don't see it as a problem especially with Jokic's court vision.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:43 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:Can he work in a fast uptempo System?

I believe we were one of the top 5 teams last year as far as pace goes, certainly don't see it as a problem especially with Jokic's court vision.

"Uptempo"? If you mean fast moving, non-stop running and cutting - nope!
If by uptempo you mean fast break - no problem. He's very good at leading the break and he does it the same way Magic did. Magic wasn't usually the first man down the court, he went a little slower and then threw the pass to the right man at the right time. That's what Jokic does.

His dribbling reminds me of Sir Charles' dribbling. When he led a fast break, it always looked like he was about to lose the ball (although Jokic is much smoother). Yet Barkley always managed to keep control of the ball.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by The Rebel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm

We were actually middle of the road in pace last year, although the pace improved dramatically when Jokic was running the offense, and slowed down when Malone was calling plays from the sidelines and having Barton and Millsap take turns running iso plays.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#137 » by THE J0KER » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Jokic will be probably voted as RealGM #12 best player for the upcoming season. You still can vote in the next 5 hours.

So far ranking are
1) LeBron James (LAL)-
2) Kevin Durant (GSW)-
3) Stephen Curry (GSW)-
4) Anthony Davis (NOP)-
5) James Harden (HOU)-
6) Kawhi Leonard (TOR)-
7) Giannis Antetokounmpo (MIL)-
8) Russell Westbrook (OKC)-
9) Chris Paul (HOU)-
10) Jimmy Butler (MIN)-
11) Joel Embiid (PHI)-

but personally, I think Jokic will be more close to #5 than to #10 next season.
skywalker33

Post#138 » by skywalker33 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:51 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Jokic will be probably voted as RealGM #12 best player for the upcoming season. You still can vote in the next 5 hours.

So far ranking are
1) LeBron James (LAL)-
2) Kevin Durant (GSW)-
3) Stephen Curry (GSW)-
4) Anthony Davis (NOP)-
5) James Harden (HOU)-
6) Kawhi Leonard (TOR)-
7) Giannis Antetokounmpo (MIL)-
8) Russell Westbrook (OKC)-
9) Chris Paul (HOU)-
10) Jimmy Butler (MIN)-
11) Joel Embiid (PHI)-

but personally, I think Jokic will be more close to #5 than to #10 next season.

Almost jinxed it there, Joker but the RealGMers came to their senses :nod:

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#139 » by U hova » Tue Sep 4, 2018 2:56 pm

I notice that "triple-double machine" Russell Westbrook always gets ranked higher than Jokic even though our point is a much stronger creator and leads better offenses...
skywalker33

Post#140 » by skywalker33 » Tue Sep 4, 2018 5:07 pm

U hova wrote:I notice that "triple-double machine" Russell Westbrook always gets ranked higher than Jokic even though our point is a much stronger creator and leads better offenses...

I’ll agree Westbrook’s TD’s have more of a selfish, padded feel about them but he has been a more dominant scorer than Jokic which gets wider recognition

Return to Denver Nuggets