Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Around The NBA (2022-23 edition) 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:35 am

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:So, hearing MPJ will be back within a week (?) which will open this option : what about starting Brown at the SG and have KCP off the bench. Feels like Bruce brings more energy and it doesn't appear KCP is shutting down anyone right now, this is one of the changes that seems feasible IMO.
To be honest, Denver this season needs more a better player to play with 2nd unit, but you are probably right because Brown has some GHarris/Barton/Lyles vibes in terms that for some reason he playing so far much better as the starter than as 6th man. Maybe it is all just temporary, he is in the new club, and 25 games are actually not enough big sample.

But the best thing about MPJ's comeback is - MPJ comeback! Our starting lineup is stronger, and no matter who will join Hyland on the bench KCP or BB, our bench would be way more competitive than now.

I think the biggest problem with our bench is that our entire system is built around Jokic, and we just don't have a big that can even pass at an average level. The only time our bench has been at least average were when we had Plumlee or Cousins, both above average passers for Centers. Nnaji nor Jordan are really passers, so our entire bench is only competitive when someone gets hot and can beat his guy 1 on 1. Brown can create well for himself and others in the right match up, but Brown is at his best off the ball as the 2nd or 3rd ball handler, as is KCP, Braun, and the rest of our swings,

I understand that Cousins had attitude issues, but I really think our front office and coaching staff underrate Jokic and the effect he really has on the offense. The guy is the best offensive player in the game, not just his passing, his shooting, his handles, his ability to make the right decision, and his screens are all big parts of what make the offense successful, Jordan setting nice screen and being a good finisher isn't what we need, we need a guy who can also spread the floor a little and at least hit the open man on a pass. A guy who can also hedge on defense and play the passing lanes.

I am not sure where you can even find a guy like that right now. Cousins must have really pissed off the front office, as he is likely the only cheap available option you can find. I cannot even think of a decent backup PF that can do something like we need. Maybe you can get a Thad YOung or Isiah Roby and have them play the Jokic position on offense?
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,584

Post#42 » by THE J0KER » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:00 am

The Rebel wrote:
Spoiler:
THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:So, hearing MPJ will be back within a week (?) which will open this option : what about starting Brown at the SG and have KCP off the bench. Feels like Bruce brings more energy and it doesn't appear KCP is shutting down anyone right now, this is one of the changes that seems feasible IMO.
To be honest, Denver this season needs more a better player to play with 2nd unit, but you are probably right because Brown has some GHarris/Barton/Lyles vibes in terms that for some reason he playing so far much better as the starter than as 6th man. Maybe it is all just temporary, he is in the new club, and 25 games are actually not enough big sample.

But the best thing about MPJ's comeback is - MPJ comeback! Our starting lineup is stronger, and no matter who will join Hyland on the bench KCP or BB, our bench would be way more competitive than now.

I think the biggest problem with our bench is that our entire system is built around Jokic, and we just don't have a big that can even pass at an average level. The only time our bench has been at least average were when we had Plumlee or Cousins, both above average passers for Centers. Nnaji nor Jordan are really passers, so our entire bench is only competitive when someone gets hot and can beat his guy 1 on 1. Brown can create well for himself and others in the right match up, but Brown is at his best off the ball as the 2nd or 3rd ball handler, as is KCP, Braun, and the rest of our swings,

I understand that Cousins had attitude issues, but I really think our front office and coaching staff underrate Jokic and the effect he really has on the offense. The guy is the best offensive player in the game, not just his passing, his shooting, his handles, his ability to make the right decision, and his screens are all big parts of what make the offense successful, Jordan setting nice screen and being a good finisher isn't what we need, we need a guy who can also spread the floor a little and at least hit the open man on a pass. A guy who can also hedge on defense and play the passing lanes.

I am not sure where you can even find a guy like that right now. Cousins must have really pissed off the front office, as he is likely the only cheap available option you can find. I cannot even think of a decent backup PF that can do something like we need. Maybe you can get a Thad YOung or Isiah Roby and have them play the Jokic position on offense?

I'm actually happier than ever with our bench this season, but only when we are all healthy so Hyland and Brown playing both from the bench, and credit to Malone who finally started to use much more Porter/Murray with the 2nd unit (we really don't need BIG3 being together almost all the time on the floor). But the problem is that so far most of the time someone from the BASIC-7 is missing, so we have a monstrous +/- gap when Jokic is in and out, and a big playmaking problem you mentioned with the 2nd unit when Hyland and Brown are not together (unless Murray is on the floor). Maybe the solution is to use more Ish Smith in such cases which seems to me better than I thought when we get him.

Jordan injured his thumb tonight, so the backup center problem become even bigger. But I'm not sure Cousins is available at all. He didn't sign anyone this summer despite a decent season with Denver, so seems he is just patient right now to wait for some big-injury starting center which happens every winter. I guess he targeting some 20mpg+ job, so despite a good time in Denver, I'm not sure he is interested in a similar role from last season.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Post#43 » by skywalker33 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:41 am

Thought this to be an exceptional read by Ryan Blackburn, talk about a defining moment for this franchise. I remember being immensely disappointed by the Nurkic trade (still am frankly) but it change this franchise.

https://milehighsports.com/starting-nikola-jokic-six-years-ago-changed-everything-for-the-denver-nuggets/
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#44 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 1, 2023 4:57 pm

Fast check-point after the 2022 part of the season ended, these grades are the mix of game quality, pre-season expectations, and injury factor evaluation:

0.722 Boston Celtics A+
0.667 Brooklyn Nets B+
0.657 Denver Nuggets B+
0.657 Milwaukee Bucks B+
0.639 New Orleans Pelicans A+
0.629 Memphis Grizzlies B+
0.622 Cleveland Cavaliers A+
0.600 Philadelphia 76ers B
0.568 Dallas Mavericks B+
0.559 Sacramento Kings A+
0.553 LA Clippers A
0.541 Indiana Pacers A
0.541 Phoenix Suns B-
0.514 Portland Trail Blazers B+
0.514 Golden State Warriors B-
0.514 Miami Heat B-
0.514 New York Knicks A-
0.487 Utah Jazz A
0.472 Atlanta Hawks B-
0.444 Chicago Bulls B-
0.444 Toronto Raptors B
0.432 Minnesota Timberwolves C+
0.432 Washington Wizards B
0.417 Los Angeles Lakers C+
0.417 Oklahoma City Thunder
0.351 Orlando Magic
0.333 San Antonio Spurs
0.278 Houston Rockets
0.270 Charlotte Hornets
0.256 Detroit Pistons
skywalker33

Post#45 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 3:23 am

THE J0KER wrote:Fast check-point after the 2022 part of the season ended, these grades are the mix of game quality, pre-season expectations, and injury factor evaluation:

0.722 Boston Celtics A+
0.667 Brooklyn Nets B+
0.657 Denver Nuggets B+
0.657 Milwaukee Bucks B+
0.553 LA Clippers A
0.541 Indiana Pacers A
0.541 Phoenix Suns B-
0.514 Miami Heat B-
0.514 New York Knicks A-
0.487 Utah Jazz A
0.472 Atlanta Hawks B-
0.444 Chicago Bulls B-
0.444 Toronto Raptors B
0.351 Orlando Magic
0.333 San Antonio Spurs
0.278 Houston Rockets
0.270 Charlotte Hornets
0.256 Detroit Pistons

Wonder how this game will change the Nuggets rating when they win vs the C's ?

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#46 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jan 2, 2023 12:06 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
THE J0KER wrote:Fast check-point after the 2022 part of the season ended, these grades are the mix of game quality, pre-season expectations, and injury factor evaluation:

0.722 Boston Celtics A+
0.667 Brooklyn Nets B+
0.657 Denver Nuggets B+
0.657 Milwaukee Bucks B+
0.553 LA Clippers A
0.541 Indiana Pacers A
0.541 Phoenix Suns B-
0.514 Miami Heat B-
0.514 New York Knicks A-
0.487 Utah Jazz A
0.472 Atlanta Hawks B-
0.444 Chicago Bulls B-
0.444 Toronto Raptors B
0.351 Orlando Magic
0.333 San Antonio Spurs
0.278 Houston Rockets
0.270 Charlotte Hornets
0.256 Detroit Pistons

Wonder how this game will change the Nuggets rating when they win vs the C's ?

The next "check-point" will be during the All-Star pause, 2023 started in the perfect way.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,666

Post#47 » by NYG » Mon Jan 2, 2023 10:25 pm

What players do the Nuggets have as salary filler? What positive value could they add to a trade?
skywalker33

Post#48 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 5:44 am

NYG wrote:What players do the Nuggets have as salary filler? What positive value could they add to a trade?

This feels like a set up inquiry, most Nugget trades are poorly managed for the Nuggets benefits, we don't get a lot of respect from other poster of other teams. Here are the most likely assets to be traded by the Nuggets IMO. We only have 2nd round picks we could add, so were limited in that aspect.

PG Ish Smith
G/F Davon Reed
C DeAndre Jordan

outside shot
PF/C Zeke Nnaji
SF Vlatko Cancar

Sure you'll be able to figure out their "value" I'm sure most are overvalued by the Nuggets, as you'll surely see. Good Luck but doubt DEN will be active on the trade market.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#49 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jan 3, 2023 6:11 am

NYG wrote:What players do the Nuggets have as salary filler? What positive value could they add to a trade?

The Nuggets' best asset is Bones Hyland, who is (I guess) locked for deals.

The Nuggets have two "trade-filler legends" Jeff Green and Ish Smith who have changed about 15 teams in their career and are under 4M expiring contracts. The Nuggets need another useful backup wing, so our only winter deal will probably be something like: J.Green+I.Smith+2023/2nd for Toronto's Otto Porter jr or Minnesota Taurean Prince...etc
Manolito
Senior
And1: 394

Post#50 » by Manolito » Tue Jan 3, 2023 3:58 pm

Denver has two clear holes on their bench and I hope they address it before deadline, title window is fully open. Backup C and another wing defender

Backup C I hope Charlotte buy out Mason Plumlee and he comes back home for the remaining of the season. I don't see many other viable options.

Regarding wing defender, I see a few candidates. Caruso or Burks as mature players or other non consolidated younger players such Thybulle or Reddish. We need somebody who can contribute since the beginning, therefore depending on the price of the young players, I would prefer to invest in Braun.

I don't think we use Monte's TPE, therefore our assets are only two second rounds and the expiring players mentioned above (and potentially Cancar or Nnaji)
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#51 » by THE J0KER » Wed Jan 4, 2023 8:02 pm

Manolito wrote:Denver has two clear holes on their bench and I hope they address it before deadline, title window is fully open. Backup C and another wing defender

Backup C I hope Charlotte buy out Mason Plumlee and he comes back home for the remaining of the season. I don't see many other viable options.

Regarding wing defender, I see a few candidates. Caruso or Burks as mature players or other non consolidated younger players such Thybulle or Reddish. We need somebody who can contribute since the beginning, therefore depending on the price of the young players, I would prefer to invest in Braun.

I don't think we use Monte's TPE, therefore our assets are only two second rounds and the expiring players mentioned above (and potentially Cancar or Nnaji)
I don't see any reason for Hornets buyout him instead of trading him before trade deadline because their cap is empty for next season when several contracts will expire.

The biggest improvement of our bench I see on giving more playing time to Vlatko Cancar. I was openly against Cancar in his first two years because we simply don't need such type of player if he does not improve his 3pt shooting. But suddenly, Cancar threes improved last season from pathetic to awesome overnight, so now I'm his big supporter. We should not trade Cancar, because nobody will pay him a fair price because his trade value is ruined by the playing time he gets from Malone. An exception may be Dallas which wants to make his NT buddy Doncic happy, but Dallas doesn't have any player interesting to Denver (apart from Doncic himself). Maybe some three-way deal like:

DALLAS: V.Cancar, I.Smith, J.Green, R.Gay
UTAH: D.Bertans, DAL-2025
DENVER: J.Vanderbilt, U.Azubuike

The advantage of JV compared to Cancar is better defense and JV's ability to play backup center. Dallas gets Cancar, and get rid of Bertans big contract to try next summer to buy a star, which cost them the 2025 1st pick. Utah gets the future 1st pick and will try to revive Bertans career as they successfully do with Markkanen or Clarkson.

A much more serious attempt would be to try the deal with Tim Connely, which was a fan of Zeke Naji. We can get their expiring backup center Naz Reid which a good blocker and rebounder, qualities that a team with KAT and Gobert doesn't need, and get Taurean Prince a very decent backup option.

MINNESOTA: Z.Nnaji, I.Smith, J.Green, D.Jordan, 2023-2nd
DENVER: T.Prince, N.Ried, L.Garza
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,890

Post#52 » by Richard Miller » Wed Jan 4, 2023 11:12 pm

THE J0KER wrote:A much more serious attempt would be to try the deal with Tim Connely, which was a fan of Zeke Naji. We can get their expiring backup center Naz Reid which a good blocker and rebounder, qualities that a team with KAT and Gobert doesn't need, and get Taurean Prince a very decent backup option.

MINNESOTA: Z.Nnaji, I.Smith, J.Green, D.Jordan, 2023-2nd
DENVER: T.Prince, N.Ried, L.Garza

Nah, no way they try to integrate three new players (and losing four) this late in the season, way too late for that. If they bring someone I imagine it will be one player, maybe Vando while shipping out Zeke (or cutting DJ) or something of the sort.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#53 » by The Rebel » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:14 pm

EasternMagic wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
EasternMagic wrote:are you mad that he doesn't post more?

No I am irritated that a man with that kind of talent spent his 1st 3 years in the league throwing away that talent, and therefor we got no production from him when we needed him the most. Something I am guessing you are too young to understand.

You know what the say about people when people assume.

Still think he wasn't the problem?

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/01/16/bol-bol-nuggets-ownership-worked-harder/
skywalker33

Post#54 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:31 pm

Gotta say the more I see his career unfold, the better I like that Jerami Grant LEFT the Nuggets. He just turned town a 4yr $112MM offer from the Blazers, guys is more about the money...greedy bastard !!

skywalker33

Post#55 » by skywalker33 » Sat Feb 4, 2023 3:15 am

BOS lost again tonight, lets see if we can capitalize this next game

skywalker33

Post#56 » by skywalker33 » Sun Feb 5, 2023 9:35 pm

DAL just trade for Kyrie, interesting move by Cuban. DAL now has two talented ball-dominant G's with very little around them. Perhaps Luka switches to a SF role, would re-distribute the talent. Now if Kyrie decides to opt to sign with another team (say the Lakers), I could easily see the potential end of Luka's time in DAL, as he can opt out soon as well. Will be fun to watch DAL for the rest of the season, that's for sure

Maf
Starter
And1: 875

Post#57 » by Maf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 1:57 pm

****! I am shocked and scared about Suns now. Paul, Ayton, Booker and Durant seems crazy strong on paper.

Also Lakers made some really good trades two times in a row. Turning ineffective chucker and some garbage into Hachimura, Russell, Beasley and Vanderbilt is hell of a job by Pelinka.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
skywalker33

Post#58 » by skywalker33 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:30 pm

Maf wrote:****! I am shocked and scared about Suns now. Paul, Ayton, Booker and Durant seems crazy strong on paper.

Also Lakers made some really good trades two times in a row. Turning ineffective chucker and some garbage into Hachimura, Russell, Beasley and Vanderbilt is hell of a job by Pelinka.

Definitely changes the landscape here in the Western Conference. Also looks like we had better make a GREAT trade for Bones or prepare to get him back in line, we can definitely utilize his offense (when under control) to battle for the WCF

skywalker33

Post#59 » by skywalker33 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:33 am

OK, had a strange thought, perhaps someone could help me with it. With GPII failing his physical, there's a chance he goes back to the Warriors and that trade falls thru. So, what would happen if the Warriors had made trades to fill all the spots on their roster prior to the trade deadline, then GPII fails his physical ?? GSW would then have 16 (one more than the league maximum), would they just have to waive a player ?? Would a trade made during the trade period have to be rescinded ?

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,845

Post#60 » by TunaFish » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:26 pm

skywalker33 wrote:OK, had a strange thought, perhaps someone could help me with it. With GPII failing his physical, there's a chance he goes back to the Warriors and that trade falls thru. So, what would happen if the Warriors had made trades to fill all the spots on their roster prior to the trade deadline, then GPII fails his physical ?? GSW would then have 16 (one more than the league maximum), would they just have to waive a player ?? Would a trade made during the trade period have to be rescinded ?

My understanding is that GSW can void the entire trade or accept the trade with damaged player received and that is the only two options. Given the salary cap considerations, I think they except Payton knowing that he will slowly improve but we will see.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets