ImageImageImage

How Good is Jokic?

Moderator: THE J0KER

kinggnik87
Sophomore
And1: 172

Re: How Good is Jokic? 

Post#181 » by kinggnik87 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:58 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:Was bored tonight so I watched the Cavs game from march. The one where Jokic scored on lebron in the post. Man, seeing a game for the second time, you catch even more little things that Jokic does.

There was this one play where Jokic caught a pass rolling to the basket on the left side and both bigs went to him with plumlee cutting down the middle. Jokic starts to dish it thinking it's open. Lebron reads it early and is cheating off chandler in the corner to pick it off. Jokic clearly doesn't notice lebron there till right before he releases the pass. He adjusts right at the last second and throws it behind plumlee, just enough for lebron to zoom by without the ball and plumlee to catch it and draw the foul.

That sequence might as well have not even existed as far as the score sheet is concerned, but it shows how insane of a basketball brain and instincts Jokic has.

Is this game you are talking about?

I can't find the part where this happens. Can I know which one is it?
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#182 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:29 pm

As an outsider I would put Jokic in top 20. And he has potential to be in the top 10. If he works he could be an extremely effective player for a long time. Look forward to him and Gobert going at it next time they play each other.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#183 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:31 pm

kinggnik87 wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:Was bored tonight so I watched the Cavs game from march. The one where Jokic scored on lebron in the post. Man, seeing a game for the second time, you catch even more little things that Jokic does.

There was this one play where Jokic caught a pass rolling to the basket on the left side and both bigs went to him with plumlee cutting down the middle. Jokic starts to dish it thinking it's open. Lebron reads it early and is cheating off chandler in the corner to pick it off. Jokic clearly doesn't notice lebron there till right before he releases the pass. He adjusts right at the last second and throws it behind plumlee, just enough for lebron to zoom by without the ball and plumlee to catch it and draw the foul.

That sequence might as well have not even existed as far as the score sheet is concerned, but it shows how insane of a basketball brain and instincts Jokic has.

Is this game you are talking about?

I can't find the part where this happens. Can I know which one is it?

Probably not in the highlights since it didn't result in an assist. The full game is on YouTube though. It happened in the 3rd quarter I believe.
kinggnik87
Sophomore
And1: 172

Post#184 » by kinggnik87 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:01 am

All right, thanks.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#185 » by Alatan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Jokic has a crossover now bros !!! :D Hype, hype, hype

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#186 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Alatan wrote:Jokic has a crossover now bros !!! :D Hype, hype, hype

:lol: :lol: :lol: Doubt the NBA defenders are quaking in fear. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#187 » by Alatan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Spoiler:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Doubt the NBA defenders are quaking in fear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks like he is MUCH more mobile now and has some dribble moves in his game. Before he always ran somewhat awkward. For a center that is very scary if you ask me. Just look DMC.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Alatan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Spoiler:

It looks like he is MUCH more mobile now and has some dribble moves in his game. Before he always ran somewhat awkward. For a center that is very scary if you ask me. Just look DMC.

Totally agree - it appears this summer was very productive for him - THAT might scare the NBA defenders. :nod: 8-)
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#189 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Had a team workout at Red Rocks, wish I could have been there (as an observer, not a participant :lol: :lol: ). More a conditioning workout my guess, but an altitude training will allow us to run teams out of the Pepsi Center !!!!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#190 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:55 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Had a team workout at Red Rocks, wish I could have been there (as an observer, not a participant :lol: :lol: ). More a conditioning workout my guess, but an altitude training will allow us to run teams out of the Pepsi Center !!!!

I just walked those stairs last week. I'm good sitting on my couch looking at the pictures :lol:
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#191 » by DaFan334 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:25 am

He looks like he is in better shape which was obviously something he needed to work on this summer. The scary part is how fluid and strong he looks.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#192 » by U hova » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:16 am

Does he have a 3pt shot yet
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#193 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:15 am

U hova wrote:Does he have a 3pt shot yet

Well, how many Centers ARE great 3pt shooters ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#194 » by Alatan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:58 pm

He is 32.4% from three on around 2 attempts per game with a nice high arc on his shot. He has a nice high release but it is a little slower. He is a good free throw shooter 82.5 % and an excellent mid range and long 2 shooter. Leads the league in percentage from 3 - 20 feet from the basket. I think it is only a matter of time before he becomes a excellent three point shooter with around 38 % on 5 attempts.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#195 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Alatan wrote:

He is 32.4% from three on around 2 attempts per game with a nice high arc on his shot. He has a nice high release but it is a little slower. He is a good free throw shooter 82.5 % and an excellent mid range and long 2 shooter. Leads the league in percentage from 3 - 20 feet from the basket. I think it is only a matter of time before he becomes a excellent three point shooter with around 38 % on 5 attempts.

Don't know if he'll ever shoot it that much. I think he wants the team to get a layup on every possession. Seems like the only time he ever shot 3s last year was late in the shot clock, if he was WIDE open or when he would try to take over offensively and be aggressive scoring.

Personally I'd rather see him in the post when he's trying to take over by scoring.

But I do think he's a better 3pt shooter than stats would suggest.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#196 » by Alatan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Alatan wrote:

Don't know if he'll ever shoot it that much. I think he wants the team to get a layup on every possession. Seems like the only time he ever shot 3s last year was late in the shot clock, if he was WIDE open or when he would try to take over offensively and be aggressive scoring.

Personally I'd rather see him in the post when he's trying to take over by scoring.

He takes a lot of long twos because he is really good at it and because his position in Denvers offence around the high post is perfect for his multiple threats and play making.

Maybe the offence could be enhanced by inserting more plays that leave Jokic closer to the three point line where i believe with some practice he would be deadly. Of course all this without diminishing his playmaking if that is possible. If not then i would not like him to change his game to a more scorer type player.

Anyway i do think he will increase his three point attempts with more minutes played. He is at 2 now and could get to 3 on 36 % without a problem.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Alatan wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Alatan wrote:

He takes a lot of long twos because he is really good at it and because his position in Denvers offence around the high post is perfect for his multiple threats and play making.

Maybe the offence could be enhanced by inserting more plays that leave Jokic closer to the three point line where i believe with some practice he would be deadly. Of course all this without diminishing his playmaking if that is possible. If not then i would not like him to change his game to a more scorer type player.

Anyway i do think he will increase his three point attempts with more minutes played. He is at 2 now and could get to 3 on 36 % without a problem.

Alatan; I very much agree with your viewpoint. Jokic probably does not need to focus on taking 3s simply because he's in the middle of the offense. However, if teams leave him open after a pick or something, they'll probably regret seeing him tossing up some 3s. As far as practicing 3s; sure he should, just because that'll make it easier for him to hit those long 2s.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#198 » by U hova » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 pm

I brought it up because like all of you said there were a bunch of times he was wide open but would brick after a really slow gather or pump fake... You should be hitting 40% of those shots not around 30.

The simple math is that 3>2 and if he's already taking the long 2s to punish defenders he should be able to stretch his game a little for the 150% increase in offensive efficiency.

The easy comparison is Marc Gasol - he still acts as the key to the Memphis at high post, but didn't sacrifice playmaking ability as he increased his 3pt volume and percentage.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 am

U hova wrote:I brought it up because like all of you said there were a bunch of times he was wide open but would brick after a really slow gather or pump fake... You should be hitting 40% of those shots not around 30.

The simple math is that 3>2 and if he's already taking the long 2s to punish defenders he should be able to stretch his game a little for the 150% increase in offensive efficiency.

The easy comparison is Marc Gasol - he still acts as the key to the Memphis at high post, but didn't sacrifice playmaking ability as he increased his 3pt volume and percentage.

Yeah, so Jokic isn't perfect. Hmmm, let's think about this, maybe there are some other players that are so feeble and useless like Jokic.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#200 » by TunaFish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 am

If you did a poll on what you would expect Jokic to receive on his next contract, there would be widespread agreement that he is a max contract candidate. That's how good he is!
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets