Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,557

Re: 2017 offseason 

Post#1081 » by Alatan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:01 am

The Rebel wrote:
Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Granted, I think Durant stays with the Warriors too, but PG13 has backed off his LAL talk and if Westbrook leaves I guarantee he won't stay there. If we can get to the 2nd round and WC leaves as expected, he has to at least check into us, better option than the Lakers for winning and we would have the money to give him a big contract while keeping this team intact.

If we make it to the 2nd round and i think that there is a chance for that TOP free agents will consider us. But im not so sure about PG. He has a childhood dream of playing for LAL. Even when LAL shows they suck i still think they will pull some other star and PG will hop on to the wagon. I dont think Ball is anything special and frankly think he will be a bust but LAL will pull some tricks and might make a big three in the ofseason. If we could get PG that would be sick.

They have been talking about a big 3 for years, guys want to win more than play for the Lakers. The Lakers don't have the cap space to sign 2 max deals next year, they will have to move Deng and last I heard they do not have their pick next year to help move Deng. They are going to need one of their prospects to really hit to attract a top free agent, and they are going to need one that shows enough potential to convince someone to take Deng. Unless they can pull that off they are not going to be attractive destination to someone that wants to win, if they would prefer to go to LA without another max guy than I don't want that guy anyway.

I dont think its a good idea to go to the Lakers but they do have the brightest spotlight in the business.

There is a possibility of them moving Clarkson alongside a 2nd to some rebuilding team and then pairing Dieng and one or 2 young guys to some other rebuilding team. That would clear them enough space for 3 max players if they are wiling to go 120 million deep. The problem is i dont see a big three that is good enough and fits together to challenge the Warriors anyway.
LeBron, PG and maybe Boogie. They would still be swept because the Lakers have no supporting cast.

I hope PG sees that its futile to go to LAL and that we show we mean business by reaching the 2nd round because he fits perfectly of what we need. Id just like if we had more defensive role players on our team because they are the difference that wins championships. It would be awesome if we could both be in the playoffs and trade away the vets for some assets but its unlikely.

Hmm, if those vets are that impactful does making the playoffs really mater since we will get rid of them anyway... So maybe trading away Chandler, Barton and Faried would be a better option and then show off our young guys. They still could make the playoffs but it would be hard...

Maybe not. Maybe PG sees how successful we are with Chandler and thinks about what we could do with him instead. And there will always be veteran 6th men to replace Barton. Still id like one 3nD wing of the bench... And one defensive pf roleplayer... Decisions, decisions... :D
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#1082 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Alatan wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Alatan wrote:
If we make it to the 2nd round and i think that there is a chance for that TOP free agents will consider us. But im not so sure about PG. He has a childhood dream of playing for LAL. Even when LAL shows they suck i still think they will pull some other star and PG will hop on to the wagon. I dont think Ball is anything special and frankly think he will be a bust but LAL will pull some tricks and might make a big three in the ofseason. If we could get PG that would be sick.

They have been talking about a big 3 for years, guys want to win more than play for the Lakers. The Lakers don't have the cap space to sign 2 max deals next year, they will have to move Deng and last I heard they do not have their pick next year to help move Deng. They are going to need one of their prospects to really hit to attract a top free agent, and they are going to need one that shows enough potential to convince someone to take Deng. Unless they can pull that off they are not going to be attractive destination to someone that wants to win, if they would prefer to go to LA without another max guy than I don't want that guy anyway.

I dont think its a good idea to go to the Lakers but they do have the brightest spotlight in the business.

There is a possibility of them moving Clarkson alongside a 2nd to some rebuilding team and then pairing Dieng and one or 2 young guys to some other rebuilding team. That would clear them enough space for 3 max players if they are wiling to go 120 million deep. The problem is i dont see a big three that is good enough and fits together to challenge the Warriors anyway.
LeBron, PG and maybe Boogie. They would still be swept because the Lakers have no supporting cast.

I hope PG sees that its futile to go to LAL and that we show we mean business by reaching the 2nd round because he fits perfectly of what we need. Id just like if we had more defensive role players on our team because they are the difference that wins championships. It would be awesome if we could both be in the playoffs and trade away the vets for some assets but its unlikely.

Hmm, if those vets are that impactful does making the playoffs really mater since we will get rid of them anyway... So maybe trading away Chandler, Barton and Faried would be a better option and then show off our young guys. They still could make the playoffs but it would be hard...

Maybe not. Maybe PG sees how successful we are with Chandler and thinks about what we could do with him instead. And there will always be veteran 6th men to replace Barton. Still id like one 3nD wing of the bench... And one defensive pf roleplayer... Decisions, decisions... :D

That is not how the cap works, they cannot just go over the cap to sign guys. They have to have the cap room or the exceptions to sign players without the cap room.

Right now the Lakers are projected to have about $55 million in contracts and cap holds for next year with the cap projected to be $102 million, meaning they have $47 million in cap space. Cousins & George will get a max contract of $30.6 million, and LeBron will be qualified to get the max 35% contract which is projected to be starting at $35.7 million a year. They will have to clear 19+ million from their cap to get the room to sign 2 max deals next summer, which means they need to move Deng and one the young guys like Ingram or they have to move Deng and Clarkson to create the cap room to sign 2 max deals.

There is literally no way for them to sign 3 max deals for guys who have been in the league for at least 7 years if one of them is Lebron, that is 95% of the cap alone, and with cap holds taking up $7.5 million or so of cap space they could not bring in 3 guys on true max deals. Now theoretically they could get some of those guys to take discounts, but how big of a discount? How excited are 3 guys going to be to take discounts to sign with a team that will have 3 stars and a bunch of guys on minimum contracts? The Heat were able to form their 3 guys to max deals, but they had 3 guys who qualified for the 30% willing to go there and take discounts paying them about 15% less than their max should have been and they still had to wait a year before the Heat could really add the role players they needed to fill out the team. Do you think George who reportedly wanted out of Indiana due to losing is going to line up to take a discount to join a team that is a year away? Do you think Cousins will? Lebron has already said he is never taking a discount again, so that will not happen either.

George may really want to go home to LA and be like Melo with the Knicks, but I do not see Lebron doing that, and I really don't care if they sign Cousins as I don't want him and think he will actually hurt a team's long term potential.

At this point Barton and Faried are both projected to be coming off the bench, and if Mudiay or Beasley work out than Barton is not going to be needed next year, we will have a 3 or 4 guard rotation that is of good quality. Faried will still be under contract but reality is he is going to be a back up big, no star is going to turn down a team that lost their backup PF especially when we already have plenty of depth at the position and one of our stars is a PF. So to me it is an easy sell if we make it past game 6 of the 1st round. Realistically we would have to dump Arthur to have the cap room to sign a max contract free agent, resign Harris and Jokic, and stay under the tax. Meaning we would lose Nelson, Chandler, Barton, and Arthur (who may not even be able to play this year) but could add a 3rd star and another draft pick to the current roster next summer while staying under the tax.

Just have to tell guys look at what we did with a very young rotation full of guys still growing. Look at how much easier playing with Jokic makes the game. Come be the leading scorer and big name on a team ready to contend with you on it, or do you think you are not as good as Chandler? One of the star SFs are going to take a look at this team and realize that we could be the next rising contender.

As for role players, you know a funny thing happens when you build a contender. Not only do you not have to pay a premium for role players, the role players take discounts to join your team and they are usually a higher quality type player than you will get as a low tier playoff team. Hell the truth is a year from now Craig and Hernangomez could have proven themselves as developing 3 and D Sfs and then we don't have to sign anybody to take the next step in a year or two.

We are in a prime position right now, we have 2 guys we know are stars, we have at least 2 additional young guys with star potential in Hernangomez and Murray, and we have several young guys with potential to be starters and rotation players on a championship caliber team in Harris, Mudiay, Beasley, Lyles, Lydon, and Morris. We may not even need a 3rd star depending on how this season goes, but I would prefer they go get that 3rd star since there is the cap space and ability to do it, and move this team firmly into contender status. Why waste money on a type of player that will be begging to join the team in a year or two? That is one of the reasons the Melo years were always such a disappointment, when we did spend money it was always on role players never creating the cap room or ability to go sign a 3rd max deal after they wasted the money on an injury prone KMart.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#1083 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Not going to quote the lengthy previous post but both posters have some nice points (and perhaps a few I disagree with :lol: ).

Lakers
Totally agree with Rebel's analysis regarding the Lakers and their cap/FA issues/potential. The biggest selling point for any FA to go to LA is not the potential winning because that's a long ways down the road. The biggest selling point isn't even salary because other teams, some anyway, can probably match anything LA offers - either team. The biggest selling point is $$$ from advertising and such. That might sway a few FAs but it seems very unlikely that LeBron is going to go anywhere for advertising dollars. He's marketed beyond what most players can dream of. LeBron will likely choose a team nearing championship levels and that is not the Lakers. It might be the Clippers, but no one thought he would Cleveland the first time and he did. Not many believed he'd leave the "Big 3" in Miami and he did. Call me silly, but I'm not convinced he'll leave Cleveland again. He seems to like a challenge but not a losing battle. Cleveland vs. Golden State, especially with the Cleveland roster changes/issues seems like enough of a challenge to entice him to stay. For those who think he'll leave because of coaching or management, they haven't been paying attention - LeBron doesn't really care too much about what they do, as long as they more-or-less do it the way it works for him.

Nuggets
Everyone knows I'm in favor of trading our veterans and playing our youth. At guard we have 4 young players plus elder statesman Nelson and in-his-prime Barton. Even if we traded Barton & Nelson (and pick up a couple of replacements on the short/cheap contracts) and then Mudiay & Beasley turn out to not be what we expected, we can still do OK for this year - meaning make the playoffs. That let's us know where we need to focus to build a championship contender. At PF, it's ridiculously crazy to keep so many PFs and when the fairly reliable and top-notch Paul Millsap is starting, we only need a couple of backups, why not keep the young ones? Same logic as at guard.

On the other hand, why are we only carrying one center and one true SF? Ridiculous - trade the veterans!!! I've said it before.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,557

Post#1084 » by Alatan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 pm

By the way guys i'd just like to praise you because this is a rare part of realGM where one can have a serious discussion not colored by hyper-optimistic homerism. :D
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,256

Post#1085 » by skywalker33 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Alatan wrote:By the way guys i'd just like to praise you because this is a rare part of realGM where one can have a serious discussion not colored by hyper-optimistic homerism. :D

Well, I've found the Nuggets forums as one of the more realistic threads on this site...some of the other team forums are a little over-the-top when it comes to trades and realistic views of their teams.. But that's just my opinion, I asmit I am a Nuggets homer :wink:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1086 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Alatan wrote:By the way guys i'd just like to praise you because this is a rare part of realGM where one can have a serious discussion not colored by hyper-optimistic homerism. :D

Aww, come on, I'm hyper-homer :nod: but yeah, I'm not hyper-optimistic :noway: - at least not about the short-term. Although this year, mostly due to signing Millsap, gives me strong hope of making the playoffs with a potential 1st round win - depending on 1st round matchup of course.

Like you, I believe the Nuggets' fans are a little more reasonable (my word) than most other boards. There are indeed many great RealGM members everywhere, but some groups tend to draw out, shall we say, less tolerant posters.

Thank you for being a part of our fanaticism and never forget, most of us are willing to disagree with everyone, including each other. :lol:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1087 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

Well, I've found the Nuggets forums as one of the more realistic threads on this site...some of the other team forums are a little over-the-top when it comes to trades and realistic views of their teams.. But that's just my opinion, I asmit I am a Nuggets homer :wink:

We all are homers, but we are also Nuggets fans so it balances out. :D
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1088 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:16 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:

Aww, come on, I'm hyper-homer :nod: but yeah, I'm not hyper-optimistic :noway: - at least not about the short-term. Although this year, mostly due to signing Millsap, gives me strong hope of making the playoffs with a potential 1st round win - depending on 1st round matchup of course.

Like you, I believe the Nuggets' fans are a little more reasonable (my word) than most other boards. There are indeed many great RealGM members everywhere, but some groups tend to draw out, shall we say, less tolerant posters.

Thank you for being a part of our fanaticism and never forget, most of us are willing to disagree with everyone, including each other. :lol:

This board would get awful boring if we all agreed with each other, but even when disagreements become heated there is usually a respect for each other that you do not find elsewhere.
skywalker33

Post#1089 » by skywalker33 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Less than 2 weeks until the 1st preseason game, should start hearing about Training Camp news very soon...CAN'T WAIT !!

kinggnik87
Sophomore
And1: 172

Post#1090 » by kinggnik87 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 am

I haven't really joined other realGM but from what I see in the General Discussion and in this board, Denver Nuggets board is more reasonable, logical, and a dose of critical thinking in our discussion, always fun to discuss with people in this group :D

On the new season, super excited, can't believe we went through a few months without NBA already. Time f**king flies.
skywalker33

Post#1091 » by skywalker33 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Melo going to OKC is interesting, while I seem him as an upgrade over Kanter where will the D in Oklahoma come from ?? PG's plate just got fuller.

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#1092 » by U hova » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 pm

OKC's defense is fine. They've already got one of the most solid defensive anchors in the league in Adams, they've rounded out their bench with Patterson, you've already mentioned George, Roberson in the wing.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1093 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Melo has always been a capable defender when he decides to, and he has improved considerably off the ball. If they can get him to play like Olympic Melo our division just got even better, if he plays like his old self that team will be a mess.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1094 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:24 am

The Rebel wrote:Melo has always been a capable defender when he decides to, and he has improved considerably off the ball. If they can get him to play like Olympic Melo our division just got even better, if he plays like his old self that team will be a mess.

"When he decides to" isn't often enough IMO, but I'll agree. I'm not overly concerned about Anthony in the west. I figured OKC to be somewhere between 2 & 4 and I don't think this changes that, just makes it more of a lock. He'll be playing PF and he's strong enough and won't have to run/switch as much. I think he's a good fit overall. Being on a potential contender should motivate him quite a bit. He's wanted to win and his time in NY has to have been frustrating.

The biggest impact on the Nuggets will be in the playoffs. Long term, he'll be on the downward slope by the time our youth is ready to contend for the Conference Championship and by then, the Nuggets will be ready - say 3 years or so.
skywalker33

Post#1095 » by skywalker33 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 am

The Rebel wrote:Melo has always been a capable defender when he decides to, and he has improved considerably off the ball. If they can get him to play like Olympic Melo our division just got even better, if he plays like his old self that team will be a mess.

Wow, blast from the past, swear I've heard that before (a few times). I'll believe it when I see it.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1096 » by The Rebel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:

"When he decides to" isn't often enough IMO, but I'll agree. I'm not overly concerned about Anthony in the west. I figured OKC to be somewhere between 2 & 4 and I don't think this changes that, just makes it more of a lock. He'll be playing PF and he's strong enough and won't have to run/switch as much. I think he's a good fit overall. Being on a potential contender should motivate him quite a bit. He's wanted to win and his time in NY has to have been frustrating.

The biggest impact on the Nuggets will be in the playoffs. Long term, he'll be on the downward slope by the time our youth is ready to contend for the Conference Championship and by then, the Nuggets will be ready - say 3 years or so.

The 2 times in his career that he focused on defense was also the 2 times he had a leader on the team telling him what to do and were the only 2 times he has been out of the 1st round, so it is possible.

I really do not think we are 3 years away, closer to 2, but I also know that Melo will be declining by then and there is a pretty good chance Westbrook is declining or gone by then as well. Hopefully we will have George on the Nuggets so long term I do not really care what the Thunder are doing, but short term them getting better is going to make it harder to win 50 games.
skywalker33

Post#1097 » by skywalker33 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:53 pm

The Rebel wrote:The 2 times in his career that he focused on defense was also the 2 times he had a leader on the team telling him what to do and were the only 2 times he has been out of the 1st round, so it is possible.

Well, 2 out of 13 years isn't a resounding percentage so I'll stand by my disbelief. I think Melo may help them in the conference this year, but it could be just as likely he'll bring some internal chaos IMO. Could work in our favor as I can envision some conflict between him and PG13

The Rebel wrote:I really do not think we are 3 years away, closer to 2, but I also know that Melo will be declining by then and there is a pretty good chance Westbrook is declining or gone by then as well. Hopefully we will have George on the Nuggets so long term I do not really care what the Thunder are doing, but short term them getting better is going to make it harder to win 50 games.

Yeah, I see our window opening in 1-2 years as well, Melo will be declining (if he isn't already), so their move was a win-now as well as salary dump of Kanter IMO. I agree with your vision of the Thunder, especially hope your George prediction comes true with Melo propelling that motion.

Return to Denver Nuggets