Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: 2017 offseason 

Post#961 » by The Rebel » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:44 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
MidMountain wrote:The rotations this year will be tricky since Mudiay, Barton, and Faried are projected as backups, should all be getting 15-20 mpg, but should not be playing together. I agree that Mudiay has the best chance to succeed with the starters than with the second unit.

Tricky rotation might be right. Most coaches have traditionally gone with 8 or maybe 9 players in their regular rotation. Of course injuries change all of that. But assuming no injuries, which 8-9 players will get consistent minutes? I don't see Malone going with less than 10 players in his primary rotation with a couple playing more than one position.

Jokic (Plumlee?)
Millsap Faried
Chandler Hernangomez
Harris Barton
Murray Nelson

Leaving Mudiay, Beasley, Lydon, Lyles, Arthur hoping for injury-time.

If Nelson is getting minutes over Mudiay than it is time to trade both of them and find a better backup PG.

Personally I think that Mudiay makes much more sense as a starter if they are bringing back Plumlee and not trading Faried and/or Barton. It is setting Mudiay up for a disaster putting him on the court with the clear lack of shooting.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#962 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:44 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
MidMountain wrote:The rotations this year will be tricky since Mudiay, Barton, and Faried are projected as backups, should all be getting 15-20 mpg, but should not be playing together. I agree that Mudiay has the best chance to succeed with the starters than with the second unit.

Tricky rotation might be right. Most coaches have traditionally gone with 8 or maybe 9 players in their regular rotation. Of course injuries change all of that. But assuming no injuries, which 8-9 players will get consistent minutes? I don't see Malone going with less than 10 players in his primary rotation with a couple playing more than one position.

Jokic (Plumlee?)
Millsap Faried
Chandler Hernangomez
Harris Barton
Murray Nelson

Leaving Mudiay, Beasley, Lydon, Lyles, Arthur hoping for injury-time.

Well, I for one hope that Mudiay and Lyles can get in some minutes as well and with the expectation that Barton gets traded that may help with the Mudiay option or perhaps Beasley (who is deserving IMO)

With you on that one, but we'll probably hold on to Nelson, Barton, & Chandler until they leave the same way we lost Gallinari. Frankly, he had value but we have so many young players it didn't hurt too much. I just wish we had some more young forwards.

It might be very important to play Lyles enough to see if he has long-term potential or if there's a reason Utah wanted to trade him. Lydon is still a puzzle IMO. He would appear to be rather similar to Hernangomez with less potential, it seems.

We have too many guards and I truly hope Mudiay & Beasley get a chance to play but doubt that will happen if Malone has Nelson & Barton to lean on.

Arthur's another puzzle that becomes stranger every month. He didn't really seem to be in the plans when they resigned him - and then he didn't play much. His propensity for injury seems to dominate and now he's an even worse fit. Assuming they sign Plumlee; Arthur will be fighting seven other players (potentially) for PF minutes - that's crazy. :crazy:
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#963 » by DaFan334 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:55 pm

Ive assumed for awhile that Arthur's main purpose on the team is his leadership as you are correct, he doesn't seem to have a large role on the floor. He communicates very well on defense, plays smart and acts professionally, all good things for the young players to be around. To an extent, he is similar to Mike Miller in what he brings to the team. With that said, if we move Farried, his fit is actually pretty similar to Millsap in giving you a defensive stretch-4, just obviously not as good. Come playoff time, he may be leaned on more in that role than some of our younger less experienced bigs.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#964 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 am

Nelson and Barton getting traded will depend on how Mudiay and Beasley play.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#965 » by Nuggets_Talk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 am

ideally id like mudiay to earn that starting PG spot again.

who is going to trade for nelson though? maybe a contender for a 2nd round pick?
EuropeanBball
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#966 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Read on Twitter
skywalker33

Post#967 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:49 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another Euro gets their butt-hurt on.... :roll:, sees the small picture before looking at Jokic's future.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#968 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:03 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jokic is a man! He can make up his own mind and who cares what anyone recommends? These are stupid people if they think the Denver Nuggets have any control over what he does or does not do. The only thing they control is what's in his contract and the NBA forbids contracts with clauses prohibiting players from playing with their national team during the NBA off-season.

Jokic is in the driver's seat on this one. If he wanted to play for his national team, he could. What are the Nuggets going to do about it? Refuse to re-sign him? No doubt Jokic evaluated the Nuggets' advice and his own career path and made his own decision. He probably asked for familial advice, since they appear to be a very close family.

Peer pressure is evidently something Jokic is above - and some people obviously don't like him for being a man.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#969 » by eathb_au » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Is this the same guy who only used Jokic in off the minutes spurts off the bench in the Olympics
EuropeanBball
Sophomore

Post#970 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm

eathb_au wrote:Is this the same guy who only used Jokic in off the minutes spurts off the bench in the Olympics

No, this was told by head coach of Montenegro (right on picture, left is head coach of Serbia).

Jokic was playing over 20 minutes per game in the Olympics. Only leaders of Serbian team, Milos Teodosic and Bogdan Bogdanovic played more.

At least he wasnt used behind Jusuf Nurkic in Serbian NT :-o

People here obviously dont understand that time and trainings with national team are more valuable for young player than some individual work, but ok. Probably Pau Gasol is dumb because he is playing 20 years for NT :(
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#971 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:31 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:
eathb_au wrote:Is this the same guy who only used Jokic in off the minutes spurts off the bench in the Olympics

No, this was told by head coach of Montenegro (right on picture, left is head coach of Serbia).

Jokic was playing over 20 minutes per game in the Olympics. Only leaders of Serbian team, Milos Teodosic and Bogdan Bogdanovic played more.

At least he wasnt used behind Jusuf Nurkic in Serbian NT :-o

People here obviously dont understand that time and trainings with national team are more valuable for young player than some individual work, but ok. Probably Pau Gasol is dumb because he is playing 20 years for NT :(

and obviously some people do not understand that Jokic can make up his own mind and evidently he doesn't bow to Euro-pressure - the Nuggets can not force him to not play for his national team - he is too valuable for them to control, at least at this point - now, if he totally destroys his NBA career then the Nuggets can "order" and "threaten" but right now, Jokic has the power - over Euro-pressure or Nuggets-pressure
EuropeanBball
Sophomore

Post#972 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Who said that Nuggets forced him to do anything?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#973 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:32 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:Who said that Nuggets forced him to do anything?

Said "forced"? Nope, implied it? Yup, in your own comment earlier today. I believe it said the Denver coaches were "stupid" for recommending he not play for the national team" and the implication behind such a statement was that Jokic must do what they say.

I get it. European fans want their players on the national team. For some players that works out great, for others perhaps not. Each man needs to choose for himself and we've had several European fans angry because Jokic is not playing for the national team. As I have said, the Nuggets can recommend but they can not force. Obviously Euro-fans cannot force Jokic to do anything either. :lol:
EuropeanBball
Sophomore

Post#974 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Yeah, thats what Bogdan Tanjevic said, that Nuggets coaches are stupid because they RECOMMENDED him not to play for Serbian NT.
He is coach for 46 years, he worked with thousands of players, i guess he had a reason why he said that.

Im not talking about fans forcing him to play or fans be angry, he is not no. 1 player of Serbian NT anyway, thing is - it would be much better for both Jokic and Nuggets if he decided to play for NT and thats the point of Tanjevic's comment.
He could train hard during the summer with NT (believe me, much harder than any individual trainings), he will improve himself individually (he worked all sumer last year with NT, i guess you saw the results) and maybe most important - he will continue to learn how to win. That would be probably most valuable for Nuggets, because with Nuggets he didnt have chance to play big games or won something.

If thats not your opinion - OK, but i feel like you didnt understand point of Bogdan Tanjevic, and my point also.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#975 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:18 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:Yeah, thats what Bogdan Tanjevic said, that Nuggets coaches are stupid because they RECOMMENDED him not to play for Serbian NT.
He is coach for 46 years, he worked with thousands of players, i guess he had a reason why he said that.

Im not talking about fans forcing him to play or fans be angry, he is not no. 1 player of Serbian NT anyway, thing is - it would be much better for both Jokic and Nuggets if he decided to play for NT and thats the point of Tanjevic's comment.
He could train hard during the summer with NT (believe me, much harder than any individual trainings), he will improve himself individually (he worked all sumer last year with NT, i guess you saw the results) and maybe most important - he will continue to learn how to win. That would be probably most valuable for Nuggets, because with Nuggets he didnt have chance to play big games or won something.

If thats not your opinion - OK, but i feel like you didnt understand point of Bogdan Tanjevic, and my point also.

We saw the results of his training with the NT; everyone complained he was pudgy and out-of-shape. He's training with a Nuggets' trainer this summer and clearly losing weight and adding muscle. With his NT, he developed some habits that are bad for a starting NBA center, like fouling just to stop a play and reaching to slap the ball. He needs a break to change those habits. In a year or two, he'll learn to play both styles when appropriate. Playing styles are that different. For some players, it may not be an issue, but evidently Jokic needs to take a break.

As for Jokic not playing in any big games with the Nuggets and not winning anything; that's ridiculous. The Nuggets made a serious playoff run and in the NBA, that's about as intense as things can be anywhere. Jokic understands NT pressure but on last year's team, he wasn't even a starter and that means he faced much less pressure than when he is the #1 player on an NBA team.

I understand the point of Tanjevic, it's a selfish one. I get that. It totally makes sense.
I think it's better for Jokic to focus on the Nuggets. I don't care if anyone gets that or not.

What I really object to is the implications, not just from this small thread, but from others we've seen, that Jokic has to do what anyone tells him to. He is an NBA superstar in the making. The power that gives a player transcends his NBA team. It is also highly probable that next year, or the year after, Jokic will rejoin his NT and everyone will welcome him and cheer him and Tanjevic will make a feeble apology and life will go on. It's not as dramatic as LeBron leaving Cleveland, but that's the way fans work.
EuropeanBball
Sophomore

Post#976 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Actually, he was in best shape of his life when he was with NT during the last summer. Why he was out-of-shape in Denver, thats question for coaches in Denver. His coach from Mega, guy without Jokic would not be even a profesional athlete, said once that Jokic is irresponsible and undisciplined and thats main problem with him. He needs a coach who is a great authority and thats one of the differences between Nuggets and NT. I think that he will not make big progress in physical part during the summer because he is undisciplined.

He didnt develop that bad habits like fouling with NT because new rule about that is introduced 2 years ago (Jokic was playing with NT first time last summer), thats was common for European basketball until 2 years ago... its more thing of his frustration and lack of shape i would say.

Being a starter is not same in US and Europe. For example, Teodosic who was best player in Europe was coming of the bench for his team in Europe. Could you imagine Westbrook, LBJ or Harden coming of the bench? No, but in Europe that is normal, your role doesnt have anything with it. He was no. 3 player in NT last year, this year he will probably be no. 2 player, thats a big responsability.

How Tanjevic can be selfish when he is not coach of Serbian NT, he is head coach of Montenegro, why he would like to Jokic play for Serbia?

I dont have anything against Jokic's decision, i just think as fan of both Serbian NT and Nuggets that playing for NT would bring him many benefits...
skywalker33

Post#977 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:49 pm

I have to disagree with a couple of your point European, first I didn't see his conditioning you spoke of on the NT, seems if he was playing then came to DEN he'd STILL be in that kind of great shape. Secondly, the Euro game is called quite differently so I contend his bad fouls are part of the wide open play, whether it frustration of lack of shape that's where he picked it up,

Also, I've already seen a couple of NBA players getting injured (Lauverne most recently), something he NEEDS to avoid this year as he coming up to get his first BIG contract to secure the future for his family. How much does the NT pay him ??? Yeah nothing, why risk his future for that. I'm sure he'll play on the NT in the future but it really doesn't make sense right now. Very STUPID and selfish comment by the NT coaches IMO. If I were Jokic I'd consider boycotting until I got a public apology from those two MORONS !!

EuropeanBball
Sophomore

Post#978 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 pm

DUDE, COACH WHO COMMENTED THIS IS NOT COACH OF SERBIAN NATIONAL TEAM, ARE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#979 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:16 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:Actually, he was in best shape of his life when he was with NT during the last summer. Why he was out-of-shape in Denver, thats question for coaches in Denver. His coach from Mega, guy without Jokic would not be even a profesional athlete, said once that Jokic is irresponsible and undisciplined and thats main problem with him. He needs a coach who is a great authority and thats one of the differences between Nuggets and NT. I think that he will not make big progress in physical part during the summer because he is undisciplined.

OK, I surrender, the public record of his multiple years of extremely poor eating habits including massive quantities of soda didn't affect his conditioning until he got to Denver and stopped those habits and that's why his conditioning was poor - yes, sarcasm intended.

Then you continue with "His coach from Mega, guy without Jokic would not be even a profesional athlete, said once that Jokic is irresponsible and undisciplined and thats main problem with him. He needs a coach who is a great authority and thats one of the differences between Nuggets and NT. I think that he will not make big progress in physical part during the summer because he is undisciplined." So you are saying nobody could get Jokic in good condition so the people that couldn't do it are more authoritative than the Nuggets' staff who are making a huge difference this year, as already shown? That makes no sense whatsoever. You deny the pictorial evidence of his progress this summer?

EuropeanBball wrote:He didnt develop that bad habits like fouling with NT because new rule about that is introduced 2 years ago, thats was common for European basketball until 2 years ago... its more thing of his frustration and lack of shape i would say.

Really? Then why do so many European players still have that habit? Why did we see a great deal of those fouls during the Olympics? Sure, many European guards do it a lot and that's fine, but in Europe even big men do it. In the NBA, with far more physical play down low, big men can not afford to do that. Just in the Nuggets' experience, multiple big men have had that habit, including Jokic, Nurkic, Mozgov, even others like Koufos.

EuropeanBball wrote:Being a starter is not same in US and Europe. For example, Teodosic who was best player in Europe was coming of the bench for his team in Europe. Could you imagine Westbrook, LBJ or Harden coming of the bench? No, but in Europe that is normal, your role doesnt have anything with it. He was no. 3 player in NT last year, this year he will probably be no. 2 player, thats a big responsability.

Ridiculous - teams always start their best players or at least their best lineup. The top 2 or 3 stars always start unless they play the same position and even then they usually start. In European ball, there is even more flexibility in having two players that play the same position. But even in the NBA they will play two SFs or two SGs or often 2 PGs some play "twin towers", etc.

Jokic was not the center of his NT last year and it seems unlikely he'll be the center of the team this year. You say he'd "probably be no. 2". On the Nuggets, he is #1 and the offense runs through him. Perhaps the NT said "You'll be on the bench again" and he said, "No thanks. I've got real work to do for where I am appreciated."

EuropeanBball wrote:How Tanjevic can be selfish when he is not coach of Serbian NT, he is head coach of Montenegro, why he would like to Jokic play for Serbia?

It is selfish because he wants all European players on their NT - that way he'll be justified in having all of his NT players there.

EuropeanBball wrote:I dont have anything against Jokic's decision, i just think as fan of both Serbian NT and Nuggets that playing for NT would bring him many benefits...

Sure you have something against his decision - anything else would mean you wouldn't advocate so strongly.
European fans, mostly, place far more value on playing for their NT. I get it. That's the way it should be.
USA NBA fans, mostly, place far more value on playing for their NBA team. It's natural.
These things are logical.

What is also logical is European fans assuming all American fans don't understand NT play - and probably most don't.
What is also logical is that most American fans assume European fans don't understand NBA play - and probably many do not.

We'll call this discussion quits - at least from my end.
EuropeanBball
Sophomore

Post#980 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 pm

My point, even with bad knowledge of english, was clear, but you still dont understand anything. We are done on this discussion, ok.

Return to Denver Nuggets