ImageImageImage

Trade ideas thread

Moderator: THE J0KER

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Re: Trade ideas thread 

Post#761 » by MidMountain » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:36 pm

skywalker33 wrote:While I like the idea, how will we be able to get him in free agency. This off-season I would expect the Nuggets to resign Jokic to a max deal rather than pick up his option and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season. And unless Barton is traded, looks like they are looking to sign him as well. That will impact the salary cap part of it.

Given those two scenarios, the only true options for roster spots come with either Chandler and/or Arthur opting out and the roster spot that'll be vacated by RJ. If both Chandler and Arthur opt in (more than likely) then we'll only have one roster spot open and unless we trade our 2018 #1 or an existing player, he's gonna take that opening. That's how I see it as it exists right now.

It's hard to predict what Arthur and Chandler will do. I could imagine Arthur wanting to go to a team where he has a chance to play. The question is, would anybody pay him or is he better off collecting another paycheck from the bench in Denver?
If Chandler struggles all year, he may opt in so he has another chance to raise his value. If he starts approaching his production from last year, he might opt out and seek a long-term contract.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,540

Post#762 » by Alatan » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:44 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
Alatan wrote:What do you guys think of snatching Tyreke Evans in free agency? Looks like he developed a 3 point shoot and is doing quite well in Memphis. His stats might be skewed by small sample size and by playing more bench units but he looks better. I have high hopes for Murray but if he doesnt pan out we will need a primary ball handler with some range and size for D. Tyreke has some combo guard abilities and with his new found range he might be a steal in free agency. When Murray does become better we can move Tyreke to the 3 or have him run the 2nd unit. How much would you be willing to throw at him if willing at all?

While I like the idea, how will we be able to get him in free agency. This off-season I would expect the Nuggets to resign Jokic to a max deal rather than pick up his option and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season. And unless Barton is traded, looks like they are looking to sign him as well. That will impact the salary cap part of it.

Given those two scenarios, the only true options for roster spots come with either Chandler and/or Arthur opting out and the roster spot that'll be vacated by RJ. If both Chandler and Arthur opt in (more than likely) then we'll only have one roster spot open and unless we trade our 2018 #1 or an existing player, he's gonna take that opening. That's how I see it as it exists right now.

Maybe we could move one of our thousand PFs. :lol:

Jokes aside i think that we should really move the vets for anything we can get and probably move Lyles and Lydon as well. I have no idea why we got those 2 guys... That Plumlee signing and draft trade really screwed our cap situation.

Barton is a nice player but doesnt really fit as a starter and we dont have the space to resign him as a 6th man. He should be moved for a late 1st to a contender like Washington or Boston. Chandler looks like he is declining and is also a poor fit since he is not a great shooter and is getting slow for the perimeter. We could probably move him as well for something like a late to mid 1st. Faried is not so easy to trade for value but maybe we could get something from Brooklyn since they really suffer from lack of size. Grizzlies and OKC might be interested too but i dont expect to get much more than a 2nd. Arthur could be attached with Lyles and sent to some rebuilding team. I wish we could trade Plumlee but the market for centers is terrible and maybe we could find a way to make those Plumlee Jokic lineups work...

That would free 38 million - 28 for Jokic max and we are left with 10-20 for free agency if we resign Jokic after we sign a free agent. Dont know how this cap thing really works so i might be wrong.

That would leave us with

(Tyreke ?)/Murray/Mudiay
Harris/Beasley
Hernangomez/(Tyreke ?)
Millsap/Hernangomez/Plumlee
Jokic/Plumlee

I doubt we could get any Allstar level player with just 20 million. Tyreke would be like a much improved version of Barton but with actual ability to run the point, better scoring and D. I would be willing to get him for around 15 million if he sustains his production.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#763 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:52 pm

MidMountain wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:While I like the idea, how will we be able to get him in free agency. This off-season I would expect the Nuggets to resign Jokic to a max deal rather than pick up his option and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season. And unless Barton is traded, looks like they are looking to sign him as well. That will impact the salary cap part of it.

It's hard to predict what Arthur and Chandler will do. I could imagine Arthur wanting to go to a team where he has a chance to play. The question is, would anybody pay him or is he better off collecting another paycheck from the bench in Denver?
If Chandler struggles all year, he may opt in so he has another chance to raise his value. If he starts approaching his production from last year, he might opt out and seek a long-term contract.

In all honesty, I'd love for BOTH Chandler and Arthur to opt out, their salary alone could help pay for Jokic's extension not to mention allow Lyles to move up the depth chart ( perhaps get some minutes ? ) and upgrade the SF position
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#764 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:59 pm

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
Alatan wrote:What do you guys think of snatching Tyreke Evans in free agency? Looks like he developed a 3 point shoot and is doing quite well in Memphis. His stats might be skewed by small sample size and by playing more bench units but he looks better. I have high hopes for Murray but if he doesnt pan out we will need a primary ball handler with some range and size for D. Tyreke has some combo guard abilities and with his new found range he might be a steal in free agency. When Murray does become better we can move Tyreke to the 3 or have him run the 2nd unit. How much would you be willing to throw at him if willing at all?

While I like the idea, how will we be able to get him in free agency. This off-season I would expect the Nuggets to resign Jokic to a max deal rather than pick up his option and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season. And unless Barton is traded, looks like they are looking to sign him as well. That will impact the salary cap part of it.

Maybe we could move one of our thousand PFs. :lol:

Jokes aside i think that we should really move the vets for anything we can get and probably move Lyles and Lydon as well. I have no idea why we got those 2 guys... That Plumlee signing and draft trade really screwed our cap situation.

Barton is a nice player but doesnt really fit as a starter and we dont have the space to resign him as a 6th man. He should be moved for a late 1st to a contender like Washington or Boston. Chandler looks like he is declining and is also a poor fit since he is not a great shooter and is getting slow for the perimeter. We could probably move him as well for something like a late to mid 1st. Faried is not so easy to trade for value but maybe we could get something from Brooklyn since they really suffer from lack of size. Grizzlies and OKC might be interested too but i dont expect to get much more than a 2nd. Arthur could be attached with Lyles and sent to some rebuilding team. I wish we could trade Plumlee but the market for centers is terrible and maybe we could find a way to make those Plumlee Jokic lineups work...

That would free 38 million - 28 for Jokic max and we are left with 10-20 for free agency if we resign Jokic after we sign a free agent. Dont know how this cap thing really works so i might be wrong.

That would leave us with

(Tyreke ?)/Murray/Mudiay
Harris/Beasley
Hernangomez/(Tyreke ?)
Millsap/Hernangomez/Plumlee
Jokic/Plumlee

I doubt we could get any Allstar level player with just 20 million. Tyreke would be like a much improved version of Barton but with actual ability to run the point, better scoring and D. I would be willing to get him for around 15 million if he sustains his production.

You are more of an optimist than me !! Don't you think the vets have already been shopped ? If they could get anything even neutral without having to give up positive assets to boot (like they did with Nurkic) or taking on bad contracts I'd bet it would've already been done.

Barton IS a tradeable asset with some nice 6th man skills, not sure they want to give him up in our playoff chase, And honestly, IF we have to give him up I hope we get more than just a late 1st for him. Agree he's not a starter but really feel he knows his role on this team.

And I, for one am not looking to give up on the guy we traded a lottery pick for, Lyle's shown glimpses and I like what I see so far. Even so, as I said not giving up good assets to get rid of players. I'd rather the team go into the luxury tax for one year and wait until Faried, Chandler and Arthur drop off the cap rather than mortgage our rebuild, but then again it's not my money.

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,540

Post#765 » by Alatan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 am

skywalker33 wrote:
You are more of an optimist than me !! Don't you think the vets have already been shopped ? If they could get anything even neutral without having to give up positive assets to boot (like they did with Nurkic) or taking on bad contracts I'd bet it would've already been done.

Barton IS a tradeable asset with some nice 6th man skills, not sure they want to give him up in our playoff chase, And honestly, IF we have to give him up I hope we get more than just a late 1st for him. Agree he's not a starter but really feel he knows his role on this team.

And I, for one am not looking to give up on the guy we traded a lottery pick for, Lyle's shown glimpses and I like what I see so far. Even so, as I said not giving up good assets to get rid of players.

Haha thanks. :)

I think that we didnt try to shop Chandler and Barton since we have playoff aspiration but since it is starting to look that Chandler is not contributing much to the team and Barton is unlikely to be resigned as a sixth man i think it would be best to deal them on trade deadline. Hopefully Hernangomez returns by then. If i remember correctly Bogdanovic was traded to the Wizards for a late 1st to be a scorer of the bench so those kind of deals are plausible. Barton to the Celtics for a 1st and Chandler to Pelicans for another 1st seems doable to me but would carry the risk of us missing the playoffs. So if we end up struggling by the trade deadline dealing our vets is a nobrainer. I wouldn't mind giving a 2nd to move Faried since i doubt we can get something for him and he is just sitting on the bench and using cap space. Disrespectful i know but it is as it is. Lyles doesnt strike me as someone who could be something in this league. Too soft for a big too slow for the perimeter and has an inconsistent shot so if we could use him as trade bait its great. Sometimes its better realising we are on the wrong path and just blowing things up that to try to squeeze out value from what we have and ending up stuck.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#766 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:26 am

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

And I, for one am not looking to give up on the guy we traded a lottery pick for, Lyle's shown glimpses and I like what I see so far. Even so, as I said not giving up good assets to get rid of players.

I think that we didnt try to shop Chandler and Barton since we have playoff aspiration but since it is starting to look that Chandler is not contributing much to the team and Barton is unlikely to be resigned as a sixth man i think it would be best to deal them on trade deadline. Hopefully Hernangomez returns by then. If i remember correctly Bogdanovic was traded to the Wizards for a late 1st to be a scorer of the bench so those kind of deals are plausible. Barton to the Celtics for a 1st and Chandler to Pelicans for another 1st seems doable to me but would carry the risk of us missing the playoffs. So if we end up struggling by the trade deadline dealing our vets is a nobrainer. I wouldn't mind giving a 2nd to move Faried since i doubt we can get something for him and he is just sitting on the bench and using cap space. Disrespectful i know but it is as it is. Lyles doesnt strike me as someone who could be something in this league. Too soft for a big too slow for the perimeter and has an inconsistent shot so if we could use him as trade bait its great. Sometimes its better realising we are on the wrong path and just blowing things up that to try to squeeze out value from what we have and ending up stuck.

Significant Trade-deadline deals Denver's made:
2015 trade for Barton
2011 trade Carmelo Anthony for half a team
That's about it. I wouldn't be counting on a trade-deadline this year for the same reason we didn't see one last year (when it seemed like a good idea) --- we'll be trying to make the playoffs.
skywalker33

Post#767 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 am

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Well, time to agree to disagree, especially on Lyles. I really thought he did well in his preseason stints as well as the 11pts in 15min vs the Warriors. As for the trades, I personally see Barton having more value than Chandler but that's symantics.

I think you're right if we are struggling, but after missing the playoffs last year and signing Milsap, don't see us even contemplating surrender unless we're hitting mid-lottery status.

psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#768 » by psimanic1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 am

So, with OKC not playing that good, would you guys help them by sending Chandler, Faried, filler for one of Melo/PG? Would you risk with PG? Would you want Melo back even if we are just giving Chandler and Faried and minor filler?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#769 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 am

psimanic1 wrote:So, with OKC not playing that good, would you guys help them by sending Chandler, Faried, filler for one of Melo/PG? Would you risk with PG? Would you want Melo back even if we are just giving Chandler and Faried and minor filler?

Anthony is not a good fit with Denver's lineup. He's old enough that SF is a stretch for him to play.
George I would trade for; assuming Jokic, Hernangomez, Harris, Beasley, Murray, Mudiay aren't included - but only if he gave assurances that he would resign in Denver (which I actually believe he might do). He'd be a great fit!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#770 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am

psimanic1 wrote:So, with OKC not playing that good, would you guys help them by sending Chandler, Faried, filler for one of Melo/PG? Would you risk with PG? Would you want Melo back even if we are just giving Chandler and Faried and minor filler?

PG I would take, Melo with wanting to play iso ball is a terrible fit. I do not want to give up any of the young talent for PG even if he verbally commits to resigning, to much risk that he will walk at the end of the year.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#771 » by MHZ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:

Anthony is not a good fit with Denver's lineup. He's old enough that SF is a stretch for him to play.
George I would trade for; assuming Jokic, Hernangomez, Harris, Beasley, Murray, Mudiay aren't included - but only if he gave assurances that he would resign in Denver (which I actually believe he might do). He'd be a great fit!

You would make all those guys untouchable if PG said he's re-sign with Denver?

Jokic is the only untouchable on the roster. Murray should have never been untouchable. That doesn't mean you make every deal, or that you don't expect a lot, but a player of George's caliber, you aren't getting him for coins under the cushions.

Moot point, since there is a 0% chance he'd re-sign here. I'd actually bring him in as a rental if we could get him for spare parts and there was some level of thought he could maybe re-sign. He looks miserable on this OKC team.

Melo doesn't fit at all, but I maintain he'll play for the Nuggets again at some point. Both the franchise and the player will want to embrace the years they had as a positive, and given how he was kicked to the curb in New York, Denver is the closest thing he has to an NBA home where he can re-live the glory days. I assume he's probably chase rings for the next few years, but I do think he'll play here again before he hangs them up. Not a fit now. He's a 4, and we have, like, a lot of 4s.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#772 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

MHZ wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

You would make all those guys untouchable if PG said he's re-sign with Denver?

Jokic is the only untouchable on the roster. Murray should have never been untouchable. That doesn't mean you make every deal, or that you don't expect a lot, but a player of George's caliber, you aren't getting him for coins under the cushions.

Moot point, since there is a 0% chance he'd re-sign here. I'd actually bring him in as a rental if we could get him for spare parts and there was some level of thought he could maybe re-sign. He looks miserable on this OKC team.

Melo doesn't fit at all, but I maintain he'll play for the Nuggets again at some point. Both the franchise and the player will want to embrace the years they had as a positive, and given how he was kicked to the curb in New York, Denver is the closest thing he has to an NBA home where he can re-live the glory days. I assume he's probably chase rings for the next few years, but I do think he'll play here again before he hangs them up. Not a fit now. He's a 4, and we have, like, a lot of 4s.

You're basically saying what Rebel says, "Spare parts only". That's about what I was thinking, so yeah, I'd make all of those guys untouchable - for this deal.

Who is truly untouchable? Only a player who has a no-trade and refuses to be traded to a specific team - and no-trade clauses are extremely rare, as in less than 10, maybe less than 5, I'm not certain.

My viewpoint has been and will continue to be that Denver should be aiming to contend for a championship in another 3-5 years at the earliest. For that reason, I make young players untouchable in the hopes that they develop into great players, if not, it's not that big a loss because the Nuggets are not winning a championship in the near future. So we should gamble on our future. That's why I've been an advocate for trading Gallinari, Faried, Chandler, Arthur, Barton, Nelson (not letting them walk as FA). Trade them for future picks and see what develops.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#773 » by MHZ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 pm

I apologize if I misunderstood.

I'd trade spare parts for George as a rental, maybe with the hope he could be convinced to stay.

I'd significantly up that offer if he gave assurances he'd stay (which you said you'd require and still have all those guys off the table). I'd be willing to move anybody on the roster other than Jokic in scenario. Including Murray.

Again, it's moot. They're not going to get his assurances that he'd stay, but a potential lineup that includes Mudiay/Harris/George/Millsap/Jokic competes with anybody other than the Warriors in the West. You do that if he's going to stick around town.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#774 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm

MHZ wrote:I apologize if I misunderstood.

I'd trade spare parts for George as a rental, maybe with the hope he could be convinced to stay.

I'd significantly up that offer if he gave assurances he'd stay (which you said you'd require and still have all those guys off the table). I'd be willing to move anybody on the roster other than Jokic in scenario. Including Murray.

Again, it's moot. They're not going to get his assurances that he'd stay, but a potential lineup that includes Mudiay/Harris/George/Millsap/Jokic competes with anybody other than the Warriors in the West. You do that if he's going to stick around town.

I didn't see it as misunderstanding, I saw it as saying it three (or four) different ways. :wink:
To make it clear, if George made a guarantee and we believed him, I'd probably up the offer and as much as I'd hate it, I'd agree to send anyone but Jokic but that would mean they get only one of the young potentials - even my favorite, Murray, but I'd hate it. :lol:

Jokic - Millsap - George - Harris - Murray/Mudiay ----- What a wonderful starting lineup!

The trade that would seem to make the most sense for OKC might be Chandler & Barton for George. SF seems their weakest slot if they trade George and they are in a win-now situation. Chandler fits their style of play nicely. Barton can help at SF and would fit well with their style of play also. Add to that, SG seems their second weakest spot and Barton can help there as well.

If I were OKC, I'd also be asking for more - perhaps a young player or a draft pick. I think Denver ought to consider something like that. So yeah, I agree with you, but I don't like it. :lol:
skywalker33

Post#775 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 pm

PG is one of the only big trades I'd want for the Nuggets, I'd easily give up a Chandler, draft picks, Lydon and perhaps a #1 & 2 if he extends

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#776 » by Mickey8 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Why would traded for a player who wants to be in LA :-?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#777 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Why would traded for a player who wants to be in LA :-?

Because for all we think about them, these are relatively young men and most of them want money and championships. Mostly they get the money. If he thinks his shot at a championship is better here than somewhere else, he can afford to commute. Each man is different, so you never know.

Oklahoma City was not on Carmelo Anthony's list of places he'd go. I rest my case.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#778 » by Nuggets_Talk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 pm

zero chance i give up anything decent for 1/2 year rental of PG.

no murray, no juancho, no picks.

if he agrees to sign with us, then things change.
skywalker33

Post#779 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 am

Well if you’ve kept up on current NBA news, he’s backed off that statement saying he’ll keep options open. Is it still an option ? Sure, who wouldn’t want to play for the home team. However, as stated he’ll still get his money but if he can play for a contender too that has to have some enticement as well

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#780 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:27 am

skywalker33 wrote:

Well if you’ve kept up on current NBA news, he’s backed off that statement saying he’ll keep options open. Is it still an option ? Sure, who wouldn’t want to play for the home team. However, as stated he’ll still get his money but if he can play for a contender too that has to have some enticement as well

I agree that this could be a contender if all three could play well together and if the young guys take the next step. The issue is who are the Nuggets going to trade and who are they keeping? For it to make sense they have to be contenders by this time next year, and they are going to be near the tax if not over it this season. They are going to have to keep the right talent, and those guys are going to have to take the next step. George is not staying with a team that he doesn't feel has the chance to contend regardless of what he says. To do that this team is going to need to keep shooters and off the ball guys. Murray will have to come off the bench, Mudiay and Harris will have to start, Hernangomez and Beasley are actually good options off the bench, and this team will still need a shooter at C when Jokic goes to the bench. The guys who have to go are the veterans, especially Chandler, Barton, and Plumlee, the odd thing is that the Thunder may want them, they are not bad fits on that roster.

Return to Denver Nuggets