G-League

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

G-League 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:37 am

Players on the G-League teams will receive almost double what they have received in the past ($35-50k, perhaps more). Last year, many D-League players were paid little more than U.S. minimum wage. Two-way players would make between $75-275k, depending on how many days they play with their NBA team.

With the new contract, each NBA team will be allowed 2 players that are designated as "Two-way Players". That means they can play in the G-League and still spend up to 45 days with their NBA team. This will allow NBA teams to actually carry 17 players on their roster. Two-way players can also receive training camp guarantees that can increase their pay by as much as $50k.

10 day contracts will not change. Those are designed to meet an immediate need while Two-way players are long-term development and those are treated differently.

Part of the G-League arrangement is the Gatorade Sports Science Institute will be working with G-League players on research and education in developing their physical abilities.

Teams without a G-League affiliate are not allowed to have the 17 man roster and designated Two-way players.

Do I believe the Nuggets should already have a G-League team? Sure. It would be nice to keep 17 players with a couple of our stash or recent draftees available. Without the G-League team, we will still be limited to 15 players on our roster.

Do I believe it is essential this year? Probably not, but in a year or two, it will become critical IMO.
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Re: G-League 

Post#2 » by MidMountain » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:22 pm

With the introduction of 2-way contracts, the Nuggets are at a disadvantage by not having an affiliate.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Two teams without a G-League Affiliate; must mean the other teams see an advantage to having their own affiliate. With the NBA planning to allow younger players in, this might become more important, especially if the league allows teams to have more than just two 2-way players.

Imagine if you will, that the NBA goes with a system more like baseball where they can have minor league players under contract. Imagine a time when a team can sign players to their G-League affiliate and develop them within their own system instead of stashing players in Europe or on another team's G-League team which plays a different style. Perhaps they even expand the draft to 3 or 4 rounds in order to provide more players available for development.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1873572

Anyone notice the thread on the General Board? It includes an official G-League article:

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-introduces-professional-path-select-contracts-elite-basketball-prospects/

It's actually old news but reminds me again that the Nuggets still do not have a G-League team and each year the NBA is coming closer to making the G-League into an actual minor-league. At some point, not having a G-League team will be a major mistake in my opinion. Are we there yet? Probably not, but I do believe it's a minor mistake.

Having a true minor-league team would benefit a young and deep team more than most teams. We don't have that system yet, so I'm not sure it's a big deal - yet. But when?
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:47 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Teams without a G-League affiliate are not allowed to have the 17 man roster and designated Two-way players.

Did that change this year ?? We had a 15 man roster last year with Welsh + Goodwin as our 2-way players.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Teams without a G-League affiliate are not allowed to have the 17 man roster and designated Two-way players.

Did that change this year ?? We had a 15 man roster last year with Welsh + Goodwin as our 2-way players.

That was a 2017 post. Sure, things changed. Every team is allowed two Two-Way players.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#7 » by The Rebel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1873572

Anyone notice the thread on the General Board? It includes an official G-League article:

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-introduces-professional-path-select-contracts-elite-basketball-prospects/

It's actually old news but reminds me again that the Nuggets still do not have a G-League team and each year the NBA is coming closer to making the G-League into an actual minor-league. At some point, not having a G-League team will be a major mistake in my opinion. Are we there yet? Probably not, but I do believe it's a minor mistake.

Having a true minor-league team would benefit a young and deep team more than most teams. We don't have that system yet, so I'm not sure it's a big deal - yet. But when?

IT is hard for me to get too upset about a G league team considering how many of our young guys have developed at a solid rate and are contributing to the team. I think the Nuggets could actually make money on a Gleague team if they would put it up at the Budweiser event center in Loveland, as the Ice Hockey team there is very successful after starting as an independent and now being a full minor league team for the Avalanche.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#8 » by Coeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:26 am

Putting a G league team in Las Vegas makes the most sense.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Coeur wrote:Putting a G league team in Las Vegas makes the most sense.

I love that idea but putting one in Loveland or Colorado Springs gives them an advantage similar to the Raptors with their G-League team which is only 30 minutes from their arena. Players can easily go back-and-forth, both G-League players and NBA players along with coaches.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:00 pm

An interesting article about Roster Counts - the paragraph below caught my eye (of course):
Teams with G League affiliates are more likely to use up all 20 of their offseason roster slots than teams without them. The Lakers may end up designating players like Holman, Caroline, and Cacok as affiliate players, sending them to the South Bay Lakers and awarding them an Exhibit 10 bonus if they stick with L.A.’s NBAGL squad. A team like the Nuggets, without a G League affiliate, can’t offer that same bonus.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/rules-related-to-nba-offseason-roster-limits-2.html
skywalker33

Post#11 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter

skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:32 pm

Looks like we'll be hiring Andre Miller as the new head coach of our G-league team. Miller spent 6 years with the Nuggets, think he'll be a good and knowledgable coach.

Welcome back to the family, Andre !

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#13 » by DaFan334 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:13 pm

Andre coaching makes a ton of sense. That guy was such a smart player. I could see him in the NBA sooner than later.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Does anybody follow the G-League Grand Rapids Gold?

There's a nice write-up about Gillespie, Huff, & Key on their website.
https://grandrapids.gleague.nba.com/news/nuggets-sign-gillespie-huff-and-key-to-two-way-contracts
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#15 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:20 pm

DaFan334 wrote:Andre coaching makes a ton of sense. That guy was such a smart player. I could see him in the NBA sooner than later.

Return to Denver Nuggets