2017-2018 Projections

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

2017-2018 Projections 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Too early to predict standings IMO, but CBSSportsline has a few articles out that do just that.

One is predicting the Nuggets in 6th place in the West. Another lists them as 8th in the West.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/making-the-leap-evaluating-the-wolves-sixers-and-nuggets-as-playoff-hopefuls/
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-power-rankings-warriors-are-no-1-duh-where-do-free-agency-players-land/
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: 2017-2018 Projections 

Post#2 » by GlenRiceARoni » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 am

Assuming reasonable health I think 49-33 is a good estimate.

I dont think they can defend efficiently enough to win 53+ games.

And I know for a fact they score too well to win less than 44 games.

So where does that leave them in the West?

Pretty much guaranteed to finish way behind GSW and SAS. Id say behind Houston for sure and clearly IMO, okc is a better playoff team but the regular season is slightly closer.

I'd say they are in a race with Portland for the 5 and 6 seed depending on if nurkic can stay healthy and play like he doesn't suck.

After that the jazz and twolves are solid teams battling it out for the 7/8. New Orleans and Memphis look like 9 and 10. Dallas 11. Lakers 12. Phoenix 13. Sacramento 14

Lakers 10th, phx 11 sac 11th

If den can pull off a midseason trade for a guy like Eric Bledsoe, look out.

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:05 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:Assuming reasonable health I think 49-33 is a good estimate.

If they can pull off a midseason trade for a guy like Eric Bledsoe, look out.

If they are still competing by midseason, Bledsoe will be a terrible fit because "in the running" by midseason means the PGs are working just fine. As composed, that's probably the weakest spot on the Nuggets (I disagree, but I'm probably in the minority). Either way, bringing in Bledsoe at midseason will disrupt the offense and won't help the defense.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: 2017-2018 Projections 

Post#4 » by GlenRiceARoni » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:Assuming reasonable health I think 49-33 is a good estimate.

If they are still competing by midseason, Bledsoe will be a terrible fit because "in the running" by midseason means the PGs are working just fine. As composed, that's probably the weakest spot on the Nuggets (I disagree, but I'm probably in the minority). Either way, bringing in Bledsoe at midseason will disrupt the offense and won't help the defense.

Assuming? The nuggets are loaded dude. Probably the most underrated team in the league.

Millsap and Jokic pairing is just going to give other teams fits trying to matchup.

The nuggets have the worst point guard situation in the entire league besides maybe the Knicks and the bulls. That's their weak spot and It's not even close. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Bledsoe would be a godsend.

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: 2017-2018 Projections 

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Assuming? The nuggets are loaded dude. Probably the most underrated team in the league.

Millsap and Jokic pairing is just going to give other teams fits trying to matchup.

The nuggets have the worst point guard situation in the entire league besides maybe the Knicks and the bulls. That's their weak spot and It's not even close. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Bledsoe would be a godsend.

:lol: Maybe - but some might think Murray is better than Bledsoe and a better fit. Sure, Bledsoe can score but he shoots 44% & 34% for 3s at 15 shots per game. He needs the ball and the Nuggets do just fine with Jokic running the offense. PG is less important for the Nuggets offense than for most teams. 3pt shooting helps open up the lane for cutting & Jokic avoiding more double teams. Murray shoots the almost the same percentages but showed signs of improving late in the year. We shall see what happens but I seriously doubt the Nuggets pick up Bledsoe, especially with Nelson still on the team and a possible Morris on a two-way. That would make 5 PGs if they added Bledsoe. Making it even more unlikely to acquire Bledsoe is that Denver has nothing Phoenix wants except maybe one of our young core players and they certainly don't want any of our veterans.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:51 am

Here's one article that tells us Bledsoe isn't the Nuggets' answer at PG and it doesn't even mention the Nuggets:

https://16winsaring.com/the-phoenix-suns-need-a-true-point-guard-f3052a39d509
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#7 » by MidMountain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Here's one article that tells us Bledsoe isn't the Nuggets' answer at PG and it doesn't even mention the Nuggets:

The only reason I'm on the fence about Bledsoe is his knee issues. The article stresses Phoenix's need for someone to initiate an offense and distribute the ball, and that's not Bledsoe. It's not Murray's game either, but with Jokic on the team it doesn't need to be. Bledsoe's defense used to be elite, but his knee problems have slowed that part of the game. If he can remain healthy for a season and his defense can return to form, he'd be an excellent fit.
MidMountain
Senior

Post#8 » by MidMountain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

I project 50 wins from this team, unless we see major strides from Murray and Jauncho.
Our PG rotation has potential, but isn't there yet. We're also a bit weak at SF. Hopefully Chandler commits to defense and stays healthy. Jauncho looked clueless at times last season, especially on defense. Barton is a minus on defense, we are in trouble if we need to rely on him for extended minutes at SF.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm

MidMountain wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Here's one article that tells us Bledsoe isn't the Nuggets' answer at PG and it doesn't even mention the Nuggets:

The only reason I'm on the fence about Bledsoe is his knee issues. The article stresses Phoenix's need for someone to initiate an offense and distribute the ball, and that's not Bledsoe. It's not Murray's game either, but with Jokic on the team it doesn't need to be. Bledsoe's defense used to be elite, but his knee problems have slowed that part of the game. If he can remain healthy for a season and his defense can return to form, he'd be an excellent fit.

I love the urban myth that Murray isn't a distributor. He was PG in high school and for the Canadian National Team. When he went to Kentucky, they also had the very short Ulis, so they moved Murray to SG because he is versatile. Now everyone, including his coach, pushes the idea he isn't really a PG but can play there somewhat. I think he's a PG in the style of a Curry - not the skill level, at least not yet, but he's a PG that can pass & shoot. The Nuggets just haven't given him that shot. Let's see if I'm proven right. The best part is, he's willing to let Jokic run the offense. Like Jokic & Harris, Murray is a team-first guy and that's what I love. Millsap is the same way and he may be a 3 year option, but it'll sure help set the team's style.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm

MidMountain wrote:I project 50 wins from this team, unless we see major strides from Murray and Jauncho.
Our PG rotation has potential, but isn't there yet. We're also a bit weak at SF. Hopefully Chandler commits to defense and stays healthy. Jauncho looked clueless at times last season, especially on defense. Barton is a minus on defense, we are in trouble if we need to rely on him for extended minutes at SF.

Won't argue with any of that. I'd add that Nelson is the same problem as Barton. Also, Hernangomez looked like he was making serious efforts on defense in the Summer League. Let's hope one of our coaches can figure out how to coach some defensive schemes instead of the Nuggets' "All-Star Style Defense" of last year which looks more like a bull fighter avoiding the bull.
MidMountain
Senior

Post#11 » by MidMountain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
MidMountain wrote:

I love the urban myth that Murray isn't a distributor. He was PG in high school and for the Canadian National Team. When he went to Kentucky, they also had the very short Ulis, so they moved Murray to SG because he is versatile. Now everyone, including his coach, pushes the idea he isn't really a PG but can play there somewhat. I think he's a PG in the style of a Curry - not the skill level, at least not yet, but he's a PG that can pass & shoot. The Nuggets just haven't given him that shot. Let's see if I'm proven right. The best part is, he's willing to let Jokic run the offense. Like Jokic & Harris, Murray is a team-first guy and that's what I love. Millsap is the same way and he may be a 3 year option, but it'll sure help set the team's style.

Murray is not an NBA floor general. He has some PG-skills, but being able to play some PG is very different from being great at it. On a Jokic-less team, Murray would not be a good PG. He has some passing and distribution ability, but would need to work on that aspect of his game to become a traditional NBA PG. I think he is very capable of being a full-time PG on this team (or a team with multiple distributors like Golden State).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 pm

MidMountain wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
MidMountain wrote:

Murray is not an NBA floor general. He has some PG-skills, but being able to play some PG is very different from being great at it. On a Jokic-less team, Murray would not be a good PG. He has some passing and distribution ability, but would need to work on that aspect of his game to become a traditional NBA PG. I think he is very capable of being a full-time PG on this team (or a team with multiple distributors like Golden State).

Yup, he'd need some work. He might not be a traditional NBA PG, but then again, I'm not sure what a traditional NBA PG is anymore. Lowry? Harden? Irving? Not to re-mention Curry and the list is varied. But we aren't talking about Murray in a traditional NBA PG role anyway. We are indeed talking about Murray being a PG on a Jokic-led team. So "traditional NBA PG" is rather irrelevant it would seem.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Post#13 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 pm

55 wins (0.670) which mean #3 or #4 spot in the West playoff!

But this projection includes upcoming (hope so) three-teams trade this summer where we will most probably lose future NBA star Jamal Murray and Faried, and get Irving.

If this trade doesn't happen, for final projection I must wait for Nuggets final roster solutions for PG and SF rotation, which is still an unfinished job for teams front office this summer after SF-Gallinari exit and after being obvious that Mudiay is not ready to be decent PG option for a Western playoff team.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 am

If the Nuggets' roster remains the same and no other West team below the top-4 makes a major move:

It seems highly improbable they will make the top-4 in the West.
It also seems highly improbable they finish in the bottom-6.

Could they finish as high as #5? Not likely but not totally impossible, if everything comes together.
Could they finish as low as #9? That seems possible.

Does it seem most likely that they will finish 7th or 8th?

If they make a major move, they'll probably still be on the road to start the playoffs.
So can the Nuggets be content with their current roster? (Of course landing Kyrie Irving would be nice, but I'm not a fan of too many other potentials that have been mentioned.)
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,102

Post#15 » by Johnny Tomala » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:16 am

I see Nuggets as 8th seed, I only watch Celtics and West teams games (along with some matches between Cavs and top teams). Nuggets will be fun to watch. Nuggets, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Rockets all very interesting to watch for me in 2017-18, excluding teams that make Conference Finals in 16-17.

Nuggets 8th seed, Millsap won't make All Star Team, Jokic also won't.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 am

Johnny Tomala wrote:I see Nuggets as 8th seed, I only watch Celtics and West teams games (along with some matches between Cavs and top teams). Nuggets will be fun to watch. Nuggets, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Rockets all very interesting to watch for me in 2017-18, excluding teams that make Conference Finals in 16-17.

Hard to make the All-Star Team in the West - that's for sure.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 686

Post#17 » by Riko » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 am

My prediction is 44-38 and 7th seed in the Western Conference. This year the WC will be a bloodbath and you need to fight for every W.

P.s after the schedule release I update my prediction, because a lot depends on the schedule.
nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior
And1: 68

Post#18 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Riko wrote:My prediction is 44-38 and 7th seed in the Western Conference. This year the WC will be a bloodbath and you need to fight for every W.

P.s after the schedule release I update my prediction, because a lot depends on the schedule.

Im fine with the 7th seed (although I think they'll be higher), but I don't think 44 games makes the playoffs next year. I think the 8th seed will be required to win 46-48 games just to make it in.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#19 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:19 am

Johnny Tomala wrote:I see Nuggets as 8th seed, I only watch Celtics and West teams games (along with some matches between Cavs and top teams). Nuggets will be fun to watch. Nuggets, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Rockets all very interesting to watch for me in 2017-18, excluding teams that make Conference Finals in 16-17.

You under-estimate the Nuggets,as usual. Remember how they SWEPT your team, blowing them out BOTH times ??? Now we're better !!

I see us being the 6th seed.....and still taking it to the C's again :wink:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

You under-estimate the Nuggets,as usual. Remember how they SWEPT your team, blowing them out BOTH times ??? Now we're better !!

I see us being the 6th seed.....and still taking it to the C's again :wink:

Now come on Skywalker, be nice. After all, if the Nuggets were in the East, they just might be competing for the bridesmaid slot behind Cleveland, hoping Cleveland loafs a little and they can sneak into first in the East. Not saying they'd be second best in the East, but they'd be in the running maybe. :)

Return to Denver Nuggets