Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Plumlee signs 3-yr $41M 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:32 pm

A bit surprised at the amt as the Nuggets has all the power, good for Mason
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Plumlee signs 3-yr $41M 

Post#2 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:34 pm

It is less than I thought he would get going into the offseason, but still way too much for a backup Center.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#3 » by Alatan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I hope we dont lose Harris because of this overpay...
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Alatan wrote:I hope we dont lose Harris because of this overpay...

It won't, we have his rights :wink:

While I do think we could/should have gotten him at a better contract, we now have two centers that are very capable of running the same offense, Plumlee a bit less offensive than Jokic but a bit better on defense.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#5 » by Alatan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

While I do think we could/should have gotten him at a better contract, we now have two centers that are very capable of running the same offense, Plumlee a bit less offensive than Jokic but a bit better on defense.

Do you know is Denver's owner willing to go deep into the luxury tax if a possibility to sign a max player occurs? If we resign Harris to, lets say, 15 ish million then we'll be at 120. We can clear around 45-50 million but we'll need to max out Jokic so it leaves us with only around 20 mill for a SF...
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Do you know is Denver's owner willing to go deep into the luxury tax if a possibility to sign a max player occurs? If we resign Harris to, lets say, 15 ish million then we'll be at 120. We can clear around 45-50 million but we'll need to max out Jokic so it leaves us with only around 20 mill for a SF...

Actually with this move we would have to have Chandler opt out, and move Faried or Plumlee in addition to Arthur for nothing to even have the capability of signing a max deal. This deal just screwed up next offseason. I hope the young guys develop with their limited minutes, otherwise we are screwed again.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#7 » by Mac1958 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Yikes, I'm still trying to get my head around the new salary cap environment. I guess I'm not there yet.

That's a lot to be paying a backup center, but it's more pronounced with what a backup PF (Faried) is getting.

With the superteams controlling the league, you can only afford so many mediocre contracts.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#8 » by Powder Blue » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Another bad signing by this front office unless I hear 3rd year has an option, don't think it does.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/denver-nuggets/yearly/cap/

12.6/13.6/14.6 the next 3 years for the backup center is dumbfounding.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#9 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Well that almost kills the dram of signing a star SF next year. Really short sighted. Player development has to be really good otherwise I think we top out as a 3 or 4 seed for the next few years.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 am

It appears the contract has no option years - 3 years guaranteed.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#11 » by psimanic1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 am

Good contract when it comes to trades later in the season...
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#12 » by MidMountain » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:58 pm

This seems very similar to Faried's deal. It's probably about right for his talent level. It is good for a starter and a bit rich for a backup.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#13 » by Powder Blue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm

psimanic1 wrote:Good contract when it comes to trades later in the season...

We say that about every contract signed...that is never traded. No one will want him and/or that contract.
Acountant_Z
Junior
And1: 169

Post#14 » by Acountant_Z » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 am

Idiotic contract. Should have just let him go.
MidMountain
Senior

Post#15 » by MidMountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Acountant_Z wrote:Idiotic contract. Should have just let him go.

And have no backup center? He's one of the best backup centers in the NBA.
MidMountain
Senior

Post#16 » by MidMountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm surprised at the Plumlee hate. His contract is a bit on the rich side, but not drastically so, and I don't see another player that has close to his skillset. People act like he is a talent-less scrub.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by The Rebel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:49 pm

MidMountain wrote:I'm surprised at the Plumlee hate. His contract is a bit on the rich side, but not drastically so, and I don't see another player that has close to his skillset. People act like he is a talent-less scrub.

The front office just paid slightly less than $14 million a year for a 3 inch taller poor man's Faried. He is less athletic, worse at catching and finishing in traffic, has a worse handle, is worse in the low post, and has a worse jump shot. At least they are close on defense.

To top it off he plays the same position as our franchise center big, and showed last year to be a bad fit on the court with said franchise player, meaning he should never be getting more than 15 minutes a game, considering Faried is more effective as a small ball center than Plumlee is as a Center.

He is also a bad fit with Barton who is a bad spot up shooter, Faried who has no jump shot, and Mudiay who needs to be on the court with shooters. Bogut for the minimum would have been a much better fit.

The only thing that people can talk about with Plumlee is his passing which is very overrated, and is ineffective as teams have figured out that they do not have to guard him in the high post and sag his defender into the paint killing the easy baskets that Jokic gets for guys.

He is a below average starting Center, and on the right team he has value, but I would have rather went into the season without a true backup center than see the front office give him this contract.
MidMountain
Senior

Post#18 » by MidMountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 pm

The Rebel wrote: considering Faried is more effective as a small ball center than Plumlee is as a Center.

I disagree, but to each his own.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:23 pm

The Rebel wrote:
MidMountain wrote:I'm surprised at the Plumlee hate. His contract is a bit on the rich side, but not drastically so, and I don't see another player that has close to his skillset. People act like he is a talent-less scrub.

The front office just paid slightly less than $14 million a year for a 3 inch taller poor man's Faried. He is less athletic, worse at catching and finishing in traffic, has a worse handle, is worse in the low post, and has a worse jump shot. At least they are close on defense.

To top it off he plays the same position as our franchise center big, and showed last year to be a bad fit on the court with said franchise player, meaning he should never be getting more than 15 minutes a game, considering Faried is more effective as a small ball center than Plumlee is as a Center.

He is also a bad fit with Barton who is a bad spot up shooter, Faried who has no jump shot, and Mudiay who needs to be on the court with shooters. Bogut for the minimum would have been a much better fit.

The only thing that people can talk about with Plumlee is his passing which is very overrated, and is ineffective as teams have figured out that they do not have to guard him in the high post and sag his defender into the paint killing the easy baskets that Jokic gets for guys.

He is a below average starting Center, and on the right team he has value, but I would have rather went into the season without a true backup center than see the front office give him this contract.

I'm a bigger fan of Plumlee than some seem to be, but totally agree that he should be playing 10-15 mpg and no way he should have gotten this contract - not even close.

Barton "is a bad spot up shooter"? It sure seems like he thinks he's pretty good at it. :roll:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 pm

MidMountain wrote:
The Rebel wrote: considering Faried is more effective as a small ball center than Plumlee is as a Center.

I disagree, but to each his own.

You can disagree all you want, but the stats back up that Faried is better at center and it is not even close. The Nuggets were -0.1 in the center matchups with Faried, and -5.9 with Plumlee.
NuggetsWY wrote:
Spoiler:
The Rebel wrote:

I'm a bigger fan of Plumlee than some seem to be, but totally agree that he should be playing 10-15 mpg and no way he should have gotten this contract - not even close.

Barton "is a bad spot up shooter"? It sure seems like he thinks he's pretty good at it. :roll:

Barton needs to quit thinking then. He was worse at catch and shoot 3s than Mudiay was last year, and only slight ahead of Chandler. with Barton hitting 35.4% and Chandler hitting 34.4%. Barton is actually the only guy on the team that shot the 3 off the dribble better last year hitting 38.3% off the dribble. That is one reason that he needs to be traded, he is a very good player when the ball is in his hands but below average without the ball in his hands, and if the plan is to run the offense through center with the PG being the secondary ball handlers, than guys like him do not fit.

Return to Denver Nuggets