ImageImageImage

2017-2018 Nuggets Training Camp/Preseason

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: 2017-2018 Nuggets Training Camp/Preseason 

Post#41 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 12:54 am

Finally get to watch the team play, looking forward to seeing all the hype.Guessing its Mudiay turn to start, perhaps we'll get a Faried sighting as well and maybe get a Torrey Craig & Beasley tour. Should be a nice road win, can't see the Lakers pulling a rabbit tonight.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#42 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 3, 2017 10:23 am

Preseason so far IMO:

Offense: Still impressive but are we seeing less Jokic-centric than last year?
Defense: More talking, more switching; still not very effective.
Jokic: For a guy with such a high BB-IQ, he just can't seem to learn to stop making stupid backcourt fouls.
Faried: Stands little chance of starting, but that's what he wants. Doesn't matter, he's still going to play his same game!
Point Guard: I'm a huge Murray fan but right now, I'm not so sure he's winning the starting spot. However, I'm pretty sure Mudiay's losing the starting spot with his turnovers.
Turnovers: The Nuggets can still pile up the turnovers with consistency. :banghead:

The Nuggets' biggest change was Millsap for Gallinari and Millsap is savvy enough to fit in just fine, so they should be more cohesive than other teams in the preseason, but they just don't seem real cohesive yet. However, hope remains for a good season.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 3, 2017 10:33 am

Hoopshabit, Brendan Galella lost me in his "Season Preview" when he started with; "Gone are the redundant pieces" - as my thoughts immediately turned to power forward. Stopped reading that article without even hesitating. :o
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,539

Post#44 » by Alatan » Tue Oct 3, 2017 12:20 pm

I like how defense has improved and keeps improving.The offense seems totally without chemistry. I think its because they are trying things that they normally wouldn't do. There is also a strange lack of spacing.

Seen some effort on D from Jokic and was happy! Would love to see more of it. His offensive game is great as always,except that he should have been a bit more aggressive with taking open shots but maybe he is trying to give other player the opportunity to show off their skills.
Millsap is good both offensively and defensively. I'm kind of worried about his chemistry on the offense. Way too many desperation ISO fadeaways for my liking. It probably just that he needs time to adjust. His shot looks better.

Murray seems a bit rusty to me, his shot is not falling in yet and is a little shy when running the offense. I dont worry though, think he will get it eventually. He looks much more mobile and his D is looking sweet!

Harris was great, his D looks better and he developed some ball-handling skills. Pay the man!

Mudiay looks much better but i'm still not convinced that he is starter material. Hernangomez looks better on D and his shot is still great. Chandler, Barton, Faried look similar to last year witch is good. Plumlee takes shots way over his skill level but it preseason so i dont mind.

What i'd like to see more in future games is:
1. Murray with the ball more.
2. Jokic shooting more.
3. More ball movement, screens and PnR.
4. Some staggered lineups where Jokic/Millsap play with the bench guys.
5. I'd like to see can Millsap stretch the floor from the corners.
6. Hernangomez as a starter.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#45 » by The Rebel » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:22 pm

Barton was really irritating me last night, he is very much the type to only pass for a stat otherwise he is dribbling it until he gets his stat.

I didn't think it would affect the offense too much to have both Chandler and Millsap starting, but after last night I am rethinking that stance, it seemed that everybody but Jokic got the ball in that disaster of a 1st quarter and it was a terrible offense. Chandler, Millsap, and Mudiay all do not move well without the ball, and we need 2 or 3 guys moving for the offense to work. With Harris being the only one who was moving without the ball it wass just stagnant.

Murray was very good on defense for a 2nd year player, but he is not a guy that is going to be effective bringing the ball down and handing it to Barton or Plumlee, it looks like Mudiay is going to have to come off the bench as he seems to be somewhat comfortable as a spot up shooter and it does not appear that Millsap and Chandler is going to use a spot up shooter much.

I cannot believe that I am going to agree with Alatan, but I would not mind seeing Juancho starting, he is a good spot up shooter and is better than I thought he would be on defense at SF. Chandler would be pissed but Chandler and Barton play pretty well together, and it just does no seem that our starters are going to work together if they all want the ball all the damn time.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by Alatan » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:49 pm

The Rebel wrote:...I cannot believe that I am going to agree with Alatan...

Did i insult you in any way?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by The Rebel » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:55 pm

Alatan wrote:

No I apologize, it is not that I cannot believe I am agreeing with you, but what I am agreeing about. Coming into this season I always thought Juancho would be a stretch 4, but last night he played the 3 very well and looks likea good fit with our starters. I figured Chandler was really our only option at starting at SF but no I would love to see Juancho there.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by Alatan » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:15 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Alatan wrote:

No I apologize, it is not that I cannot believe I am agreeing with you, but what I am agreeing about. Coming into this season I always thought Juancho would be a stretch 4, but last night he played the 3 very well and looks likea good fit with our starters. I figured Chandler was really our only option at starting at SF but no I would love to see Juancho there.

It's cool, thought it was a figure of speech, just wanted to check. :D

That's also why i think we might try him in starting lineup. We might need to move Jokic a little further out from the high post so he can create more space for Millsap and cutters.
Mudiay improved significantly but i still dont think he is starting caliber yet. Shaky handle, slow penetration, turnovers, slow release, etc... Murrays shooting and offball play is also much needed to maximize our offense. Maybe we could try some lineups with Barton as the PG and Harris/Murray at SG.
The bench looks without much off ball players, spot up shooters and play makers. Staggering the lineups will be crucial this season.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,777

Post#49 » by TunaFish » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:48 pm

Hernangomez can play.

Millsap can really play!
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#50 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:07 pm

Plumlee has one of the ugliest FT shot I've ever seen.

We have a LOT of flat-footed spot-up shooters, need more cutters and off-ball movement.

Milsap has quick hands, I see why he's on the all-defensive team

Mudiay continues to get into trouble when he gets caught in the air, still a rookie mistake he continues to make

Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,707

Post#51 » by Jadoogar » Tue Oct 3, 2017 10:08 pm

I haven't seen any of the preseason games yet. How is Jamal Murray looking?
Really excited for the Nuggets this season.
skywalker33

Post#52 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:51 pm

Jadoogar wrote:I haven't seen any of the preseason games yet. How is Jamal Murray looking?
Really excited for the Nuggets this season.

Defense is better, shot is a little off right now but he's coming around. Great shot at starting at the PG position

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by The Rebel » Wed Oct 4, 2017 4:01 am

Alatan wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Alatan wrote:

It's cool, thought it was a figure of speech, just wanted to check. :D

That's also why i think we might try him in starting lineup. We might need to move Jokic a little further out from the high post so he can create more space for Millsap and cutters.
Mudiay improved significantly but i still dont think he is starting caliber yet. Shaky handle, slow penetration, turnovers, slow release, etc... Murrays shooting and offball play is also much needed to maximize our offense. Maybe we could try some lineups with Barton as the PG and Harris/Murray at SG.
The bench looks without much off ball players, spot up shooters and play makers. Staggering the lineups will be crucial this season.

Barton was the PG for much of the time he was on last night, while he was not bringing the ball up Murray was bringing it up to the top of the key and Barton was taking it. That is one of the biggest problems with him on this team, he needs the ball too much to allow the other guys to be truly effective. Murray is not a spot up shooter until after he gets going, Barton is never a good spot up shooter, Faried and Plumlee are not shooters at all, meaning that the only spot up guy off the bench is Juancho.

Now Mudiay is actually a pretty good spot up shooter, shooting over 36% last year on spot up shots, and looks to be better this year. Plus for some reason Chandler, Faried, and Barton have always played well together, so it makes sense to have those 3 together with a spot up shooter in Mudiay. That gives Jokic 3 guys on the court who move well without the ball, a 2nd ball handler in Murray, and allows Millsap to play a similar role to what Gallo was on offense last year with the one on one and post up plays. It should work for the starters, but as I said I think Chandler would take it pretty badly and Faried is already whining.
skywalker33

Post#54 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm betting Faried "wins" the backup PF position. It'll ease tensions while allowing us to showcase him until we can find a trade for him. Lyles is a better fit and needs PT to continue his development.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 4, 2017 8:51 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I'm betting Faried "wins" the backup PF position. It'll ease tensions while allowing us to showcase him until we can find a trade for him. Lyles is a better fit and needs PT to continue his development.

and I think that means Malone will use a 10-man rotation
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,777

Post#56 » by TunaFish » Wed Oct 4, 2017 9:38 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:I'm betting Faried "wins" the backup PF position. It'll ease tensions while allowing us to showcase him until we can find a trade for him. Lyles is a better fit and needs PT to continue his development.

That's seems more likely. Yet, why even say that he plans to use a 9 man rotation?

You have four starters set. A point guard battle will take up up two more slots; that's six with a backup point slot taken. Plumlee is set as the backup center for seven.

By my count to make up a nine man rotation you have only two slots left to be divided from Hernangomez, Barton, Faried, Nelson and Lyles with the rest without a realistic shot.

To me, Hernangomez is a shoe in.

Barton and Faried seemed to be fighting over the same slot with Lyles on the outside looking in.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 4, 2017 11:09 pm

TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

That's seems more likely. Yet, why even say that he plans to use a 9 man rotation?

You have four starters set. A point guard battle will take up up two more slots; that's six with a backup point slot taken. Plumlee is set as the backup center for seven.

By my count to make up a nine man rotation you have only two slots left to be divided from Hernangomez, Barton, Faried, Nelson and Lyles with the rest without a realistic shot.

To me, Hernangomez is a shoe in.

Barton and Faried seemed to be fighting over the same slot with Lyles on the outside looking in.

His "9-man rotation" statement is puzzling for sure. Based on other statements and his "good contributor" type statements, I was counting:

Murray, Mudiay, Nelson
Harris, Barton
Chandler, Hernangomez
Millsap, Faried
Jokic, Plumlee --- total of 11 players plus he spoke highly of Lyles
skywalker33

Post#58 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:13 am

Don’t know why so many are getting hung up on Malone saying he wants a 9-man rotation. We’re still in training camp, so is it far-fetched to think that he might re-evaluated to accommodate based upon his team/players/(pressure) ? It’s 1 player added to a rotation. Does it HAVE to happen every game ? No ! Will injuries change this too ? Absolutely !

Is it a true issue ? Only if we make it one :roll:

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#59 » by THE J0KER » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:26 am

Our 3pt stats during preseason so far is so ridiculously good (47/95 Denver, around 50%!!!, opponents close to 25% with 24/88) that serious analysis of this games is pointless because every weakness are overshadowed by these insane 3pt stats.

So if I must to mark my worst impression so far when everything looks too good to be true, I will once again repeat my question related to our SF problem and 2017 wasted draft: why we as #24 pick not drafted best available SF Kyle Kuzma instead of another PF (I already forget his name :uhoh:)???
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#60 » by psimanic1 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 11:11 am

THE J0KER wrote:Our 3pt stats during preseason so far is so ridiculously good (47/95 Denver, around 50%!!!, opponents close to 25% with 24/88) that serious analysis of this games is pointless because every weakness are overshadowed by these insane 3pt stats.

So if I must to mark my worst impression so far when everything looks too good to be true, I will once again repeat my question related to our SF problem and 2017 wasted draft: why we as #24 pick not drafted best available SF Kyle Kuzma instead of another PF (I already forget his name :uhoh:)???

Because we have Juancho! And Beasley could get some minutes there i guess, when we see that Juancho can start(after 2 or 3 months) and trade Chandler to POR for someone we don't need and we give them first round pick too..

Return to Denver Nuggets