ImageImageImage

2017-2018 Nuggets Training Camp/Preseason

Moderator: THE J0KER

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Re: 2017-2018 Nuggets Training Camp/Preseason 

Post#61 » by MidMountain » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:29 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Our 3pt stats during preseason so far is so ridiculously good (47/95 Denver, around 50%!!!, opponents close to 25% with 24/88) that serious analysis of this games is pointless because every weakness are overshadowed by these insane 3pt stats.

So if I must to mark my worst impression so far when everything looks too good to be true, I will once again repeat my question related to our SF problem and 2017 wasted draft: why we as #24 pick not drafted best available SF Kyle Kuzma instead of another PF (I already forget his name :uhoh:)???

Your too hung up on position labels. Kuzma, Hernangomez, and our pick Lydon are all combo forwards, capable of playing both forward spots. The reports I've seen suggest the Nuggets FO considers Lydon more of a 3 and a stretch four, similar to how Kuzma is viewed. None of these players are a PF in the mold of Milsap or Faried. Our team seems to find the most success with good outside shooters to open up the passing lanes for Jokic and company. It doesn't seem that odd that we drafted an elite outside shooter. Kuzma has played better than expected so far, so we (and almost everyone else) may have slept on him a bit, but his mediocre shooting in college turned many teams away. His shooting so far has exceeded expectations.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#62 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:04 pm

MidMountain wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Our 3pt stats during preseason so far is so ridiculously good (47/95 Denver, around 50%!!!, opponents close to 25% with 24/88) that serious analysis of this games is pointless because every weakness are overshadowed by these insane 3pt stats.

So if I must to mark my worst impression so far when everything looks too good to be true, I will once again repeat my question related to our SF problem and 2017 wasted draft: why we as #24 pick not drafted best available SF Kyle Kuzma instead of another PF (I already forget his name :uhoh:)???

Your too hung up on position labels. Kuzma, Hernangomez, and our pick Lydon are all combo forwards, capable of playing both forward spots. The reports I've seen suggest the Nuggets FO considers Lydon more of a 3 and a stretch four, similar to how Kuzma is viewed. None of these players are a PF in the mold of Milsap or Faried. Our team seems to find the most success with good outside shooters to open up the passing lanes for Jokic and company. It doesn't seem that odd that we drafted an elite outside shooter. Kuzma has played better than expected so far, so we (and almost everyone else) may have slept on him a bit, but his mediocre shooting in college turned many teams away. His shooting so far has exceeded expectations.

I agree, the thing about Kuzma is that he has always been a very streaky shooter, he is hot right now, but that can change tomorrow. The other issue with Kuzma is that is seems the only thing he can really do is score, outside of scoring I am not all that impressed with his game.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#63 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:49 pm

No offense Joker, but hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. You see Kuzma play a good game on the 2nd unit of a bad team and criticize drafting Lydon over him yet you haven’t seen Lydon play. Now I was not impressed with him in SL, but have heard very good things of him in camp. As of right now, I’ll give him a bit of time to see what we have
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#64 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:06 pm

Ok time to open up the can of worms. I think Murray won the starting PG position last night (despite 5 turnovers) but what about the backup PF position ? I think both Faried and Lyles had very good games. Also think Lyles proved his “fit” better but where does that leave us ? Give credit to Faried, he had a tremendous night but it was against backup-level talent, he should’ve been able to go off. Who gets the job, Lyles or Faried ?

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 5, 2017 5:28 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Ok time to open up the can of worms. I think Murray won the starting PG position last night (despite 5 turnovers) but what about the backup PF position ? I think both Faried and Lyles had very good games. Also think Lyles proved his “fit” better but where does that leave us ? Give credit to Faried, he had a tremendous night but it was against backup-level talent, he should’ve been able to go off. Who gets the job, Lyles or Faried ?

I am still of the opinion that Faried needs to be traded, this stupid meme running around the internet that Faried can only rebound is hurting his value, but reality is he is a very valuable type of player that Connelly has never had in his vision of what this team should be. He is never going to be happy getting 15 mpg like he will likely get with Millsap and Plumlee here, and the fact is if he is not inn the long term plans than guys should be getting moved.
skywalker33

Post#66 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 6:40 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Ok time to open up the can of worms. I think Murray won the starting PG position last night (despite 5 turnovers) but what about the backup PF position ? I think both Faried and Lyles had very good games. Also think Lyles proved his “fit” better but where does that leave us ? Give credit to Faried, he had a tremendous night but it was against backup-level talent, he should’ve been able to go off. Who gets the job, Lyles or Faried ?

I am still of the opinion that Faried needs to be traded, this stupid meme running around the internet that Faried can only rebound is hurting his value, but reality is he is a very valuable type of player that Connelly has never had in his vision of what this team should be. He is never going to be happy getting 15 mpg like he will likely get with Millsap and Plumlee here, and the fact is if he is not inn the long term plans than guys should be getting moved.

I must agree it would be better served for all sides if he is traded, to where I’m not sure. Faried gets degraded for lack of a shot as well for his passive defense. However, I think his defense has improved and hehe does have a proclivity to score, more in the post but should that really matter

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#67 » by MidMountain » Thu Oct 5, 2017 7:07 pm

Unless a trade is made before the season, I imagine they'll play Faried as the backup to show off his talent and hope a trade materializes.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#68 » by Alatan » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:27 pm

Lyles is a better fit because of his shooting but lets not get carried away by one preseason game.

In his two seasons he was a bellow average shooter both from 3 and the floor and he is not better than Faried in any other category. I need to see more of him before i give him Faried's spot.

If Faried insists to be traded or we get a good deal for him then its another story...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#69 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:55 pm

Which players am I not screaming about? The ones that won't be playing except in case of injury.

Faried, Lyles, Arthur, Lydon, Nelson, Beasley.

Which of those would I like to see get some minutes? Lyles & Beasley.

Which of those should be playing because they are a decent fit on the current Nuggets roster and might need to demonstrate their trade value? Faried.

I'll stay focused on Jokic, Millsap, Hernangomez, Chandler, Harris, Murray --- and hopefully Mudiay. Those seem to be the players that will be leading this team for 2017-2020.
skywalker33

Post#70 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:44 pm

Alatan wrote: lets not get carried away

In his two seasons he was a below average shooter both from 3 and the floor and he is not better than Faried in any other category.

Well, let’s also be realistic. Lyle’s rookie year he shot.38% from 3-pt range which isn’t bad for a rookie. He did go thru the iconic sophomore slump, many do. He’s now in a system that plays to his strengths another plus to both Lyles as well as the team. I do agree that Faried is a better rebounder and a more well-rounded bet but to say he’s better at everything else is a stretch, Faried has done nothing to improve his game since he was drafted, which is really catching up to him.

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,189

Post#71 » by Mickey8 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:51 pm

Lakers are horrible, nothing to draw from those two games , we will see how all those guys that are praised here perform against competitive teams.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 5, 2017 11:07 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

In his two seasons he was a below average shooter both from 3 and the floor and he is not better than Faried in any other category.

Well, let’s also be realistic. Lyle’s rookie year he shot.38% from 3-pt range which isn’t bad for a rookie. He did go thru the iconic sophomore slump, many do. He’s now in a system that plays to his strengths another plus to both Lyles as well as the team. I do agree that Faried is a better rebounder and a more well-rounded bet but to say he’s better at everything else is a stretch, Faried has done nothing to improve his game since he was drafted, which is really catching up to him.

I actually feel bad for Faried, and see this type of stuff said about Faried but it is not really true. Faried did add that little mini hook and developed a low post game under Shaw, under Malone he has improved his defense somewhat. The issue was that under Shaw he was working on the wrong part of his game, Karl had him working on his jumpshot and while it was far from dependable, he was developing that 15 footer his 2nd year in the league, but never tried it under Shaw. Shaw screwed up his development and Faried's attitude sucked to where his effort was questionable that 2nd year under Shaw and early after Malone was hired, but he has added things to his game over the years.

That being said going into the offseason I was adamant that we needed a better starting SF, I understand why we signed Millsap, but Faried needed to be moved before we signed Millsap or at least Plumlee. Faried is a starter on a team with a spread 5, or he is a hell of a 3rd big, but with Plumlee they obviously do not fit. So we need a PF that has somewhat dependable range, and it is not like Plumlee or Millsap is going anywhere anytime soon so Faried needs to be moved. That is one reason I would have preferred they signed Bogut and Withey as backup Centers (would have been cheaper and preserved the cap space as well) and made Faried the 3rd big in a 3 big rotation with Bogut getting a handful of minutes occasionally.

Lyles is only better than Faried at shooting, but Lyles with Plumlee is going to be a better pairing than Faried and Plumlee and there is really no way to argue otherwise.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 5, 2017 11:49 pm

The Rebel wrote:Well, let’s also be realistic. Lyle’s rookie year he shot.38% from 3-pt range which isn’t bad for a rookie. He did go thru the iconic sophomore slump, many do. He’s now in a system that plays to his strengths another plus to both Lyles as well as the team. I do agree that Faried is a better rebounder and a more well-rounded bet but to say he’s better at everything else is a stretch, Faried has done nothing to improve his game since he was drafted, which is really catching up to him.

I actually feel bad for Faried, and see this type of stuff said about Faried but it is not really true. Faried did add that little mini hook and developed a low post game under Shaw, under Malone he has improved his defense somewhat. The issue was that under Shaw he was working on the wrong part of his game, Karl had him working on his jumpshot and while it was far from dependable, he was developing that 15 footer his 2nd year in the league, but never tried it under Shaw. Shaw screwed up his development and Faried's attitude sucked to where his effort was questionable that 2nd year under Shaw and early after Malone was hired, but he has added things to his game over the years.

That being said going into the offseason I was adamant that we needed a better starting SF, I understand why we signed Millsap, but Faried needed to be moved before we signed Millsap or at least Plumlee. Faried is a starter on a team with a spread 5, or he is a hell of a 3rd big, but with Plumlee they obviously do not fit. So we need a PF that has somewhat dependable range, and it is not like Plumlee or Millsap is going anywhere anytime soon so Faried needs to be moved. That is one reason I would have preferred they signed Bogut and Withey as backup Centers (would have been cheaper and preserved the cap space as well) and made Faried the 3rd big in a 3 big rotation with Bogut getting a handful of minutes occasionally.

Lyles is only better than Faried at shooting, but Lyles with Plumlee is going to be a better pairing than Faried and Plumlee and there is really no way to argue otherwise.[/quote]
:nod: :clap:
skywalker33

Post#74 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:46 am

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Lyles is only better than Faried at shooting, but Lyles with Plumlee is going to be a better pairing than Faried and Plumlee and there is really no way to argue otherwise.

Whether you believe Faried has worked on his game or not, I just don’t and never have seen it. He has undoubtedly heard/been told the deficiencies in his game but we’ve seen no signs of the things that would elevate his game/career. I’ve always liked and supported the Manimal but if you’re going to let the game pass you by, what can you expect ?

As for what the FO should have done, in a perfect world Faried should’ve been moved prior to the Milsap signing or even the trade for Lyles. However you complain about what we got for moving Gallo yet we are probably looking for less of a return on Faried because of what’s left on his contract, which I’m not saying is terrible but in this age of salary cap preservation .....Add in the fact it takes two in any trade and a very small trade market for an undersized, non-shooting, lack of defense PF...I’m sure the FO tried, short-sighted to think they havent
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#75 » by Alatan » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:03 am

skywalker33 wrote:

I meant he is not better than Faried right now or at least i havent seen it. He could be since he is young and hasn't played.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:21 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Whether you believe Faried has worked on his game or not, I just don’t and never have seen it. He has undoubtedly heard/been told the deficiencies in his game but we’ve seen no signs of the things that would elevate his game/career. I’ve always liked and supported the Manimal but if you’re going to let the game pass you by, what can you expect ?

As for what the FO should have done, in a perfect world Faried should’ve been moved prior to the Milsap signing or even the trade for Lyles. However you complain about what we got for moving Gallo yet we are probably looking for less of a return on Faried because of what’s left on his contract, which I’m not saying is terrible but in this age of salary cap preservation .....Add in the fact it takes two in any trade and a very small trade market for an undersized, non-shooting, lack of defense PF...I’m sure the FO tried, short-sighted to think they havent

If you believe that Faried has not improved any part of his game than you need to go watch some games from his rookie year.

As for what the front office got for Gallo, they took a **** deal for no reason other than to do a favor for Gallo, and helped a conference rival in the process. There was no benefit to the Nuggets and I would love to hear you try to argue otherwise.

We do not know what they would get for Faried, but I would really love to know why you hate him so much? I think I know you well enough to realize that it is not lack of IQ but maybe I am wrong. Fact is Faried was a better defender than most of the team last year, many advanced stats show that as the truth, and anybody watching with an unbiased eye could see how much his help defense helped last year while GAllo and Chandler hid in the corners doing as little as possible. The only confirmed rumors of the Nuggets trying to trade Faried are all for good returns.

Connelly has a long habit of holding off on trading players until their value is gone and he is forced to trade them, he is doing the exact same thing now, and trying to defend it by saying you are sure they tried is crap. We all know this front offices history, and I would say that it is much more likely they are busy holding out for the perfect return.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:58 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I actually feel bad for Faried, and see this type of stuff said about Faried but it is not really true. Faried did add that little mini hook and developed a low post game under Shaw, under Malone he has improved his defense somewhat. The issue was that under Shaw he was working on the wrong part of his game, Karl had him working on his jumpshot and while it was far from dependable, he was developing that 15 footer his 2nd year in the league, but never tried it under Shaw. Shaw screwed up his development and Faried's attitude sucked to where his effort was questionable that 2nd year under Shaw and early after Malone was hired, but he has added things to his game over the years.

If you believe that Faried has not improved any part of his game than you need to go watch some games from his rookie year.

As for what the front office got for Gallo, they took a **** deal for no reason other than to do a favor for Gallo, and helped a conference rival in the process. There was no benefit to the Nuggets and I would love to hear you try to argue otherwise.

We do not know what they would get for Faried, but I would really love to know why you hate him so much? I think I know you well enough to realize that it is not lack of IQ but maybe I am wrong. Fact is Faried was a better defender than most of the team last year, many advanced stats show that as the truth, and anybody watching with an unbiased eye could see how much his help defense helped last year while GAllo and Chandler hid in the corners doing as little as possible. The only confirmed rumors of the Nuggets trying to trade Faried are all for good returns.

Connelly has a long habit of holding off on trading players until their value is gone and he is forced to trade them, he is doing the exact same thing now, and trying to defend it by saying you are sure they tried is crap. We all know this front offices history, and I would say that it is much more likely they are busy holding out for the perfect return.

I will agree that Faried has worked on his game - somewhat. But some improvement should be expected from any player that makes any kind of effort. I love his game - but I think he'd be best off the bench although he plays very well off from Jokic (as does everyone else). With that said, his game is still basically the same game he had when he came into the league and that is why many think he hasn't improved. My point is simple: he has value. If they aren't going to play him, then trade him while he has that value. Of course I've always loved "hustle players" and Faried is the ultimate hustle player.
skywalker33

Post#78 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 4:09 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I actually feel bad for Faried, and see this type of stuff said about Faried but it is not really true. Faried did add that little mini hook and developed a low post game under Shaw, under Malone he has improved his defense somewhat. The issue was that under Shaw he was working on the wrong part of his game, Karl had him working on his jumpshot and while it was far from dependable, he was developing that 15 footer his 2nd year in the league, but never tried it under Shaw. Shaw screwed up his development and Faried's attitude sucked to where his effort was questionable that 2nd year under Shaw and early after Malone was hired, but he has added things to his game over the years.

You can use that “you need to watch games” line on non-Nugget fans, but I do watch 90% of their games. I’ve been hearing Faried should be working on his mid-range shooting and his defense for the past 5 years, if he’s working on it like he should I would’ve expected to see SOME results by now. Regardless of who the coach is, it should be clearly visible that he can consistently shoot a 15 footer and he can’t. I do agree he made some strides with his defense last year but he still isn’t a very good man-on defender, and with all his athleticism he should already be after working on it for so long.

And let’s be honest, the FO has wanted Faried gone ever since he signed his last contract, you’ve noted several trade attempts in many of your own posts so the efforts has clearly been there so it’s not crap. Whether they’re overvaluing his trade return or not, he’s still here so if they just wanted to trade him for a negative return like they did with Gallo, how happy will you guys be with the FO even if it solves a possible headache situation ? As for Gallo, agreed we could/should have received more if we traded him at the deadline but we were in a playoff hunt at that time so I can see their hesitation. Also agree if they were going to facilitate a trade it should have been to an East coast team but his only opportunity may have been the Clippers, so we settled to appease a player that was loyal to us during his tenure here. I’ll agree with your stance of TC, just doesn’t seem very ruthless as a VP, definitely would prefer that but perhaps that’s part of his approach to making a small market look appealing to FAs, that’s the only reasoning I can think of.
And to ”factualize” the FO as holding out for the perfect return while me saying it could be salary cap holdups and you ignoring that just seems again that you are trying some self-justifying BS to me. So many moves are made/not made based on salary cap implications and with $26M left on his contract for a backup position (more than likely) Faried isn’t as appealing to many other teams regardless of what you want to think.

No I don’t hate Faried, always been a fan but I am also a realist. He’s never really HAD to work on his game until now. No one has ever really challenged his position on the team before Milsap arrived so instead of accepting a superior player and being a team first player he wants to thump his chest and make waves IMO. Guess I’m old school, I don’t really care for that thinking it could’ve been more in an “I accept the challenge, may the best man win” approach, but I say that in 20/20 hindsight.

Faried can have a strong place on this team if he wants to put his ego aside. He’ll be paid handsomely and probably get some mins as well. I’d love to see him go to BOS for the MEM 1st, seems like a good fit for both teams but I expect the Manimal to play out his contract or be bought out ( less likely ).

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 7, 2017 12:04 am

skywalker33 wrote:You can use that “you need to watch games” line on non-Nugget fans, but I do watch 90% of their games. I’ve been hearing Faried should be working on his mid-range shooting and his defense for the past 5 years, if he’s working on it like he should I would’ve expected to see SOME results by now. Regardless of who the coach is, it should be clearly visible that he can consistently shoot a 15 footer and he can’t. I do agree he made some strides with his defense last year but he still isn’t a very good man-on defender, and with all his athleticism he should already be after working on it for so long.

And let’s be honest, the FO has wanted Faried gone ever since he signed his last contract, you’ve noted several trade attempts in many of your own posts so the efforts has clearly been there so it’s not crap. Whether they’re overvaluing his trade return or not, he’s still here so if they just wanted to trade him for a negative return like they did with Gallo, how happy will you guys be with the FO even if it solves a possible headache situation ? As for Gallo, agreed we could/should have received more if we traded him at the deadline but we were in a playoff hunt at that time so I can see their hesitation. Also agree if they were going to facilitate a trade it should have been to an East coast team but his only opportunity may have been the Clippers, so we settled to appease a player that was loyal to us during his tenure here. I’ll agree with your stance of TC, just doesn’t seem very ruthless as a VP, definitely would prefer that but perhaps that’s part of his approach to making a small market look appealing to FAs, that’s the only reasoning I can think of.

And to ”factualize” the FO as holding out for the perfect return while me saying it could be salary cap holdups and you ignoring that just seems again that you are trying some self-justifying BS to me. So many moves are made/not made based on salary cap implications and with $26M left on his contract for a backup position (more than likely) Faried isn’t as appealing to many other teams regardless of what you want to think.

No I don’t hate Faried, always been a fan but I am also a realist. He’s never really HAD to work on his game until now. No one has ever really challenged his position on the team before Milsap arrived so instead of accepting a superior player and being a team first player he wants to thump his chest and make waves IMO. Guess I’m old school, I don’t really care for that thinking it could’ve been more in an “I accept the challenge, may the best man win” approach, but I say that in 20/20 hindsight.

Faried can have a strong place on this team if he wants to put his ego aside. He’ll be paid handsomely and probably get some mins as well. I’d love to see him go to BOS for the MEM 1st, seems like a good fit for both teams but I expect the Manimal to play out his contract or be bought out ( less likely ).

and I will never forget a young North Carolina player that came into the NBA and heard about how he didn't have a good shot but could only slam dunk. The next year he brought a nice pull-up 2pt shot. Then he heard how he couldn't shoot 3s (back when they were not so common), so the next year he brought in a decent 3 pt shot. Then he heard he couldn't rebound ... then he heard ... He improved every year (at least until no one could figure how to criticize Mr. Michael Jordan). I may have the sequence wrong, but it went like that.

Improvement year after year is what I look for; especially in the first few years. I love Faried's hustle and I do believe he has improved, but his improvement has been less noticeable than many players. Look at Harris; year-by-year already showing major progress and I'm expecting more. Mudiay hasn't shown much yet. Love Murray but this is his second year and it must be better if he intends to become great.

Players can be content with where they are or they can work on improvement. Without improvement, other players will find them easy to displace.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#80 » by U hova » Sat Oct 7, 2017 6:23 pm

If Faried had a 3pt shot do you think we could use him as a SF

Return to Denver Nuggets