Total votes: 12

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: SF, Going Forward 

Post#21 » by The Rebel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
MidMountain wrote:The market for Chandler next summer will be interesting. I reckon he'll opt out of his last year in search of an extension. A 4-year deal for a 30 year old with an injury history is too much risk, but if he gets a long-term contract offer I'm sure he'll take it.

I find it hard to predict what the NBA GMs are going to do and how much they'll pay. If I'm a contender and only have one decent SF or need a small-ball PF, I'd want Chandler. He seems like a true team-first guy, even when he's not satisfied. Last year he said he wasn't happy with his situation, but he still gave a solid effort and adapted his game to the new style. He doesn't require being treated like a super-star and is a good 4th or 5th option.

4 years - in this market? Seems reasonable and may be his last good contract. 4th year a team option seems likely. The question is, how much? $20-25m?

I don't think Chandler gets anywhere close to $20 million per season, and while he started to adapt late last year, I would not say that he handled it well at all or adapted well either. I think Chandler is going to be exposed this year. He is a system type player that works well in a drive and kick system, but is not a good off the ball player, is not a primary scorer, and if the last 2 years are any sign his defense has declined to the point of being about average now.

Ingles signed for $13 million a year, and I would easily take him over Chandler, in fact I put Chandler in the PJ Tucker level, which puts Chandler at the MLE next year.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: SF, Going Forward 

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
MidMountain wrote:The market for Chandler next summer will be interesting. I reckon he'll opt out of his last year in search of an extension. A 4-year deal for a 30 year old with an injury history is too much risk, but if he gets a long-term contract offer I'm sure he'll take it.

I find it hard to predict what the NBA GMs are going to do and how much they'll pay. If I'm a contender and only have one decent SF or need a small-ball PF, I'd want Chandler. He seems like a true team-first guy, even when he's not satisfied. Last year he said he wasn't happy with his situation, but he still gave a solid effort and adapted his game to the new style. He doesn't require being treated like a super-star and is a good 4th or 5th option.

4 years - in this market? Seems reasonable and may be his last good contract. 4th year a team option seems likely. The question is, how much? $20-25m?

I don't think Chandler gets anywhere close to $20 million per season, and while he started to adapt late last year, I would not say that he handled it well at all or adapted well either. I think Chandler is going to be exposed this year. He is a system type player that works well in a drive and kick system, but is not a good off the ball player, is not a primary scorer, and if the last 2 years are any sign his defense has declined to the point of being about average now.

Ingles signed for $13 million a year, and I would easily take him over Chandler, in fact I put Chandler in the PJ Tucker level, which puts Chandler at the MLE next year.

I won't argue very hard against your view on Chandler - $$$ or style/fit.
If Chandler were traded now or took a serious injury; could Barton fill the SF slot very well?
He seems a little light to battle some SFs but if we have PFs sliding into SF (like Arthur, Hernangomez, maybe Lydon), might it work?
SF is my biggest concern for this year and future years.

Return to Denver Nuggets