ImageImageImage

Malik Beasley

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Malik Beasley 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:57 am

Noticed that Malik is clearly in Malone's rotation, albeit at the end of it. I was kind of wondering what what his role with the Nuggets will evolve into ? My fear/expectation is that the Nuggets will expect him to replace Barton, letting Barton just walk for nothing. Truth be told, I WOULD like him to replace Barton, I see him as a better fit long-term. I also think he's capable, hope he steps up during this season. But I want to see more Malik earlier in the rotation to allow us to trade Barton, not let him walk away for free. Defensively his efforts already surpass Barton IMO but where does he need to get on the offensive end, 10ppg ?? 13ppg ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: Malik Beasley 

Post#2 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:20 am

So far he really offers nothing on the court which is disappointing, I l;iked him a little coming out of college. Hoping he turns things around. 16% of FG's at the rim is extremely discouraging though.

I don't think Barton is going to be signed... the Nuggets have simply locked up too much in existing player salaries and they appear content to let Barton walk.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,551

Post#3 » by Alatan » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:41 am

He looks like a George Hill type of player. All around Sg/Pg. Some shooting, D, and a bit of pg skills. Very useful player if you have a primary playmaker.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#4 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:10 pm

Beasley is only in the rotation because Juancho is out sick, but I am not concerned by anything I have seen out of him. It is hard for scorers to get going when they are playing 4 or 5 minute stretches and only getting 2 or 3 touches. Otherwise he is working hard on defense and trying to play within this abomination of an offense, so I don't know what anybody would want given his time and situation. I would actually like to see him getting more minutes this year, but to do it they are going to have to move someone like Barton and clear out minutes.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:22 am

HoopsMalone wrote:So far he really offers nothing on the court which is disappointing, I l;iked him a little coming out of college. Hoping he turns things around. 16% of FG's at the rim is extremely discouraging though.

I don't think Barton is going to be signed... the Nuggets have simply locked up too much in existing player salaries and they appear content to let Barton walk.

All you do is criticize the young players. Saw you criticizing Dallas' Smith on the General Board.
That's why people call you a "troll". You make disparaging remarks in order to entice people into responding.
Everyone, as in EVERYONE says that young guards need time and especially PGs.
Please try to contribute and not troll.
skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:48 am

Beasley didn't overwhelm me in SL but I have noticed he gives a better defensive effort that Barton. But what Barton brings in scoring to that 2nd unit is explosive, something that Beasley needs to replace IMO.

HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#7 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:07 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:So far he really offers nothing on the court which is disappointing, I l;iked him a little coming out of college. Hoping he turns things around. 16% of FG's at the rim is extremely discouraging though.

All you do is criticize the young players. Saw you criticizing Dallas' Smith on the General Board.
That's why people call you a "troll". You make disparaging remarks in order to entice people into responding.

DSJ is a player I have a very strong dislike for because I saw firsthand at NC State how terribly overrated he was. He looked like a giant bust candidate coming into the draft and he's done nothing to disprove that in his disastrous NBA start.

Beasley's stats have taken a nice little nosedive from last season. That's discouraging from any young player as you really want to see them make giant strides their first few years. It's all about magnitude for young players. You can suck hard early, but you better be getting better very quickly or NBA stands for "Not Being Associated" (with a franchise).

This board is addicted to "potential". I'm more critical than the average poster because I'm an analytical person. I don't do all the puppydogs and rainbows stuff. I'm into evaluating talent. Look at the past 30 years of draft classes. Scan the list. And see how many names you recognize as impact players. If anything, people should be looking for reasons to discredit young players.

There are two types of errors. Type I and Type II. A type I error is to falsely infer the existence of something that is not there, while a type II error is to falsely infer the absence of something that is.

99% of the board operates on the other side of the spectrum than I do. That doesn't make me a troll. That makes me a critic of group-think. Which there is an epidemic of on those boards.

If you have anything good to say about Beasley's play this year, I'd love to hear it... he's regressed thus far and the numbers are hideous. When typically, you'd expect the greatest improvement between Year 1 and Year 2 for a good player's career.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:57 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

DSJ is a player I have a very strong dislike for because I saw firsthand at NC State how terribly overrated he was. He looked like a giant bust candidate coming into the draft and he's done nothing to disprove that in his disastrous NBA start.

Beasley's stats have taken a nice little nosedive from last season. That's discouraging from any young player as you really want to see them make giant strides their first few years. It's all about magnitude for young players. You can suck hard early, but you better be getting better very quickly or NBA stands for "Not Being Associated" (with a franchise).

This board is addicted to "potential". I'm more critical than the average poster because I'm an analytical person. I don't do all the puppydogs and rainbows stuff. I'm into evaluating talent. Look at the past 30 years of draft classes. Scan the list. And see how many names you recognize as impact players. If anything, people should be looking for reasons to discredit young players.

There are two types of errors. Type I and Type II. A type I error is to falsely infer the existence of something that is not there, while a type II error is to falsely infer the absence of something that is.

99% of the board operates on the other side of the spectrum than I do. That doesn't make me a troll. That makes me a critic of group-think. Which there is an epidemic of on those boards.

If you have anything good to say about Beasley's play this year, I'd love to hear it... he's regressed thus far and the numbers are hideous. When typically, you'd expect the greatest improvement between Year 1 and Year 2 for a good player's career.

You use "analytical" when others see you as "overly critical". I've been watching the NBA carefully since before the ABA began. I recognize the names of the majority of players that were drafted in the first rounds; even if I can't name them off the top of my head. I remember watching 10 rounds of NBA drafting for multiple years. "Impact players" often look questionable in their first year or two. That's why you have some mighty fine players that aren't drafted so high and/or have poor early years.

You want to criticize young players - you should give them a chance and be more critical of the veteran players. I'll go back to the year a guy named Michael was drafted third and everyone said all he could do was drive and dunk. After his first season he worked on his jump shot and they said he couldn't hit 3s. After his second season he worked on his range and they said he couldn't play defense. He went on to be 1st team all NBA Defense and Defensive Player of the Year once. They said he didn't rebound, so he did. They said he didn't pass, so he did. Do I need to keep listing his accolades? IDIOTS kept saying, "This young player can't xxxxx."

You mention two types of errors but you miss a big one: Judging people based on insufficient data/information.

Others have already mentioned good things about Beasley's play this year. Some mentioned some last year, especially from his D-League time. If you are such a great fan as you claim, you'll have already read those.

You remind me of something an Army Ranger instructor said, "Parachutes are like minds, they only work when they are open." You are not the sole authority on the NBA. Most of us here disagree now and then without problem. Why is it then that you seem to have people constantly disagreeing with you? That's not just on this board either.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,551

Post#9 » by Alatan » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:05 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:

It's cool to be a critic, i actually like hearing the other side of the story, you just need to be less dramatic about it. Being less pessimistic would also give you a better audience. I'm also guilty of being an overzealous critic and the immense hype of certain players somewhat provokes me but i learned that a more diplomatic approach is a better way for everyone.

As for Beasley you cant really call upon his stats to judge him since he barely plays and its not due to him being bad or anything but because we have a log jam of guards of whom 3 are young. The 1st 3-4 statistical years are the most important when judging what can players do but that's only for guys that actually play. From what i've seen of Beasley he is a player with nice potential to be a good SG. Looks like a 3nD sort with a bit of passing ability. His offense if off to start the season but you need to keep in mind that he is trying to crack the rotation and is probably playing under pressure. Limited minutes and lack of NBA experience dont help either. If we manage to give him more minutes i think his production would improve significantly.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#10 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:52 am

He’s a decent defender, pretty athletic, hustles, and I think he’s a better shooter than what he’s shown in games. That said, he doesn’t really do a whole lot when he gets in. I think he’s got a lot of development needed if he’s ever gonna become a good player.

I suspect he drops out of the rotation as soon as Juancho is ready and doesn’t see a meaningful minute, barring injury.
skywalker33

Post#11 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:27 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:He’s a decent defender, pretty athletic, hustles, and I think he’s a better shooter than what he’s shown in games. That said, he doesn’t really do a whole lot when he gets in. I think he’s got a lot of development needed if he’s ever gonna become a good player.

I suspect he drops out of the rotation as soon as Juancho is ready and doesn’t see a meaningful minute, barring injury.

I agree with this as well as the idea that he does need more seasoning, especially considering his first year he was dealing with an injury, this is almost like his rookie year.

Also, agree he'll go back to the the bench when Juancho returns but I do think the Nuggets take their time if they want to see more outta him.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 am

An old thread on a forgotten player. Here's a nice little article.

https://nugglove.com/2018/04/12/denver-nuggets-timberwolves-grades-game/
skywalker33

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Critical offseason for Malik, I'd really love to see him in a FULL Summer League this year. He should be at the stage where he can pick up Barton's minutes and start producing.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of more playing time for our young players and I haven't been happy with Beasley's PT. So out of curiosity I went and looked at PT for the three players drafted ahead of him and the three drafted behind him.

16 - Not in NBA
17 - Wade Baldwin ..... 485
18 - Henry Elleson ...... 477
19 - Malik Beasley ...... 781
20 - Garis LeVert ...... 1355
21 - DeAndre Bembry .. 827
22 - Malachi Richardson 523

Allowing for different teams and their needs/rosters; looks like maybe I should've cut Malone a little slack. (You have no idea how much it hurt me to admit that. :noway: )
skywalker33

Post#15 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:05 pm

I'd still love to see Malik play an ENTIRE Summer League but doubt that happens. Some confidence and experience could make him the player we expect. I think his future depends a lot on if we resign Barton and that could depend on who we draft.

skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Was wondering if Beasley actually knows, regardless if Barton re-signs, all he has to to to get more PT is to live up to his potential and outplay Barton, which I believe he can do. THIS is the year he needs to step up or time to ship him out IMO

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,522

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:03 am

After Mudiay trade, he is in a good position to grab close to 20 backup-guard minutes (PG and SG both) even with Barton around (20+ without Barton), because even if Barton re-sign his main role will be SF at least next 2 seasons. Unlike Mudiay, MB is equally good on both guard position (real combo-guard), and have no style problem with specific Nuggets offense type lead by Jokic. But Beasley finally must show-up his talent, that he is TOP20 worthy pick. It is really disappointing last season to see he has worse per-36 numbers as a sophomore than as a rookie.

Our great backcourt starting lineup Murray-Harris is in danger to be devalued by bad backup options. We need significant improvement of M.Beasley or M.Morris, or to sign some good FA guard (or re-sign Barton, with adding good SF).

Return to Denver Nuggets