Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Western Conference 2017-18 Race to Playoff 

Post#41 » by skywalker33 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Riko wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I'm not sure I understand what your inter-conference reference means.

14-11 overall
6-8 against the West
1-3 against our division
5-5 against the rest of the West

8-3 against the East

Am I missing something?

Just seems like a pessimistic attitude to me.As Rebel stated, we're on pace to win 46 games, a probably playoff berth...what's not to like ??

Well, denver's schedule was quite easy until now so there are all the reasons to be worried...
Until Millsap injury I was quite optimistic but without him I'm not sure denver can continue on this trend (at least without Jokic playing like an MVP).

Denver season depends on Jokic, if he keeps dealing with injuries like now Denver won't reach the postseason...

While I am looking forward to Jokic return, Millsap's injury has shown us that we have other assets developing in Lyles and Beasley. Also has shown us Juancho is not full recovered yet, Arthur is declining (IMO) and Barton cannot take over this team.

Right now we're a 1/2 game out of 1st place in the Northwest, 3 games above .500 with Jokic coming back and just won our 15th game of the season, we didn't win our 15th until after Christmas last year, well above schedule. Doom-n-gloom all you want but were doing this w/o our top two players so I just don't get it. When Millsap gets back we'll be stronger for it.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#42 » by THE J0KER » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 am

With 11-2 we are a 3rd best team in the league at home, and I expecting we will win all 3 home matches until the end of this calendar year! But on road, we are below average 5-11, and no surprise if we lose all 4 away matches until end of 2017.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#43 » by THE J0KER » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:13 pm

After another Gobert injury race for West TOP8 seems now much more relaxed, so we can focus once again on what we are focused before Millsap injury: fight for #6 spot against Portland and New Orleans.

Our December record is 8-6 so far, despite 3-4 in 7 matches when Jokic was injured, so improvements are:
- Trey Lyles breakthrough
- Harris become an elite defender
- Murray much more consistent
- Barton stays hot on playing more SF (position which is also improved lately thanks to Torrey Craig)
- Jokic gets more minutes lately
- Chandler (now playing PF also) and Plumlee playing better than in previous two months
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#44 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:24 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Image
After another Gobert injury race for West TOP8 seems now much more relaxed, so we can focus once again on what we are focused before Millsap injury: fight for #6 spot against Portland and New Orleans.

Our December record is 8-6 so far, despite 3-4 in 7 matches when Jokic was injured, so improvements are:
- Trey Lyles breakthrough
- Harris become an elite defender
- Murray much more consistent
- Barton stays hot on playing more SF (position which is also improved lately thanks to Torrey Craig)
- Jokic gets more minutes lately
- Chandler (now playing PF also) and Plumlee playing better than in previous two months

I almost feel like I'm in a church:
- Trey Lyles breakthrough - Amen!
- Harris become an elite defender - Preach it!
- Murray much more consistent - That's right!
- Barton stays hot on playing more SF (position which is also improved lately thanks to Torrey Craig) - Uh, huh.
- Jokic gets more minutes lately - Yes!
- Chandler (now playing PF also) and Plumlee playing better than in previous two months - You got that right!

and I'm loving it!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Denver seems a little bit by themselves. There are 5 teams that seem to be better, not just record, but look at the last 10 games. The four teams behind Denver, seem to be struggling a little more than Denver.

9-1 GSW
    7-3 Hou - 1 game behind
    7-3 San - 3.5
    7-3 Min - 6
    8-2 OKC - 8

6-4 Den - 8 - - - 6th place

5-5 NOP - 9.5
    4-6 Por - 9.5 --- 8th place

2-8 Uta - 12.5
    6-4 LAC - 12.5
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#46 » by THE J0KER » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Our 6-4 in last 10 matches is a great achievement because it includes 4 matches without Jokic, and the schedule is not friendly.

And talking about Western TOP8 I think a team from outside which still has some chances to break it is not Utah anymore (after another Gobert injury) but LA Clippers. They are much more competitive since the Teodosic comeback, and there is news that best player Griffin would be back already this week, not "somewhere in February".
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:09 pm

THE J0KER wrote:And talking about Western TOP8 I think a team from outside which still has some chances to break it is not Utah anymore (after another Gobert injury) but LA Clippers. They are much more competitive since the Teodosic comeback, and there is news that best player Griffin would be back already this week, not "somewhere in February".

You might be right. They seem to have been playing below their expectations for certain and being 6-4 in the last 10 shows they are beginning to climb. Teodosic might be the key for how they do this year. I'm not convinced they are taking advantage of his skills, but it may be his defense that is holding him back. Everyone focuses on offense, but the NBA still expects some serious defense. He's 30 years old and adjusting to the NBA can be tough. Avydas Sabonis did it and I think Teodosic is on the verge of forcing Rivers to play him 30+ mpg.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#48 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 am

I'd have to agree that the Clippers are a bigger threat than the Jazz. But I don't see either catching the Nuggets unless Jokic goes down. Maaaaybe Harris or Murray since backup PG is so weak.

The clippers just have so many injuries and it's injury prone guys who like Griffin and Gallo who I don't expect to stay healthy even when they return.
skywalker33

Post#49 » by skywalker33 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:02 am

Could've picked up ground in a set-up game for us and Malone decides to choke the chicken. He will never be able to take us to a winning playoff record.

K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#50 » by K4P » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:18 am

Whatever happened to Emannuel Mudiay?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm

KAT4PREZ wrote:Whatever happened to Emannuel Mudiay?

Well, best guess? Just one man's opinion but Malone doesn't know how to deal with young players and he threw him into the lineup as a rookie and second year player. Without decent coaching, he didn't do well and seemed to get worse. Meanwhile Malone used Nelson as his first/second PG, letting Murray play a little SG, gradually increasing.

Add in some injury issues and Mudiay now tends to sit on the bench, probably not enjoying himself. I still believe he could be a very good NBA PG, with the proper guidance. He's not a speedy PG. He's a little bigger than average and stronger than the average PG. I just hope the Nuggets find a place where he can grow - but I doubt it'll be here. Some players do well without good coaching, some do not.
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#52 » by MidMountain » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm

KAT4PREZ wrote:Whatever happened to Emannuel Mudiay?

He started the season well but has played really poorly the last month. His turnovers are killers on offense and he doesn't really get it defensively either. I'm beginning to doubt that we will ever be consistent enough to be a rotation player.
skywalker33

Post#53 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:51 am

With the MIN loss tonight, we can pull to within 2 games with a win over the Jazz.

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#54 » by Mickey8 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:10 am

Jokic doesn't deserve big bucks, doesn't have a drive to establish himself as an alpha male, 2 points and two boards in back to back games in the first half , thats not franchise player production , he should be disciplined by riding the bench , good thing he was taken out of the game two minutes before end of the first half , I am through with defending his disinterested butt :wink:
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:13 am

Mickey8 wrote:Jokic doesn't deserve big bucks, doesn't have a drive to establish himself as an alpha male, 2 points and two boards in back to back games in the first half , thats not franchise player production , he should be disciplined by riding the bench , good thing he was taken out of the game two minutes before end of the first half , I am through with defending his disinterested butt :wink:

I once said he reminded me of Nene and I got blasted. The similarities include: good passer, not very aggressive towards scoring. He's got tremendous skills but without a drive to be great, he'll just waste his time on the edge of being great. But that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#56 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jan 6, 2018 5:44 am

Jokic is not natural born "leader" so it would be dumb to force him to "learn" how to be alfa-male only because many of league best players are natural leaders. Many best players of NBA teams are just "leaders by example", and I don't see any problem if Nikola will be that type of player. Look at others good European centers which are best players of their teams, Nowitzki, Marc Gasol, Gobert, Porzingis... all they are true franchise players and great authorities, but not really the alfa-male type of leaders on the court, so why should Jokic be? His biggest quality is to make all teammates better and that is pure gold. We survive well injury of our 2nd best player Millsap, but without Jokic just compare our today 1st half vs Utah when he is de facto "out", and 2nd half when he is involved, and you will see the difference.

Back to the business, our 2018 playoff spot seems once again like over 90% sure thing. Clippers are on a good streak, but now their backcourt line Beverley/Teodosic/Rivers are devastated and out due injuries (Gallo also), so we should not worry about them. When Gobert is back for Utah it will be already too late for them to catch Denver for sure. Our biggest goal is to prevail in tough battle with Portland and New Orleans for #6 spot, but in best case scenario, if Millsap backs already in late February and our Team-Canada (Murray&Lyles) continues to improve - maybe we can challenge Minnesota #5 spot in best case scenario, which have problems lately with Teague injury and Wiggins form. In next 4 matches, we are bold favorites to win all except vs Warriors, so it would be great to see our 24-17 (59%) record at the end of the 1st half of the season.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#57 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 am

Three losses in the row, including two unexpected, and we are technically #5, but TOP8 is still not secured after Clippers are back from death after L.Williams life form and also comebacks from injury for Teodosic faster than expected.

In next ten days, two matches against our 2018 arch-enemies are especially important: @LAC, and vsPOR
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#58 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Jokic doesn't deserve big bucks, doesn't have a drive to establish himself as an alpha male, 2 points and two boards in back to back games in the first half , thats not franchise player production , he should be disciplined by riding the bench , good thing he was taken out of the game two minutes before end of the first half , I am through with defending his disinterested butt :wink:

I once said he reminded me of Nene and I got blasted. The similarities include: good passer, not very aggressive towards scoring. He's got tremendous skills but without a drive to be great, he'll just waste his time on the edge of being great. But that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before.

Jokic is good value on a max deal. He's an elite player whether he's scoring at will or not.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#59 » by THE J0KER » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 am

For the first time since October, we are out of the playoff.

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#60 » by Mickey8 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 am

Only hope is if LA Clippers are injured :-? , I could easily see that as the final standing, even though I think Denver have talent to make the post season, but the coaching is holding them back.

Return to Denver Nuggets