ImageImageImage

2018 Draft Prospects

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: 2018 Draft Prospects 

Post#21 » by skywalker33 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:But watching Lyles and Lydon makes me wonder if those three aren't awful close to each other in abilities and styles, as well as the obvious similarities in size/build. Perhaps if two of the three are on the court at the same time, it just might work, if the team learns how to provide help defense. (Right now "help" defense is when one player tries to help, but it takes more than that.)

Position-less basketball is the direction the Nuggets seem to be headed. I noticed Lyles started at SF a couple of games ago even though he has more PF size, but the guy can shoot. Using two guys together with good size who can shoot ( Juancho, Lyles, and Lydon) sure looks like it allows us to create mismatches on the offensive end, but how does it translate on the defensive end ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:56 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:But watching Lyles and Lydon makes me wonder if those three aren't awful close to each other in abilities and styles, as well as the obvious similarities in size/build. Perhaps if two of the three are on the court at the same time, it just might work, if the team learns how to provide help defense. (Right now "help" defense is when one player tries to help, but it takes more than that.)

Position-less basketball is the direction the Nuggets seem to be headed. I noticed Lyles started at SF a couple of games ago even though he has more PF size, but the guy can shoot. Using two guys together with good size who can shoot ( Juancho, Lyles, and Lydon) sure looks like it allows us to create mismatches on the offensive end, but how does it translate on the defensive end ??

Defense? D-fense? DEFENSE? Not sure it matters how you say it, it just doesn't seem to go well with "Denver Nuggets". :lol:

Seriously though, looking at the young players, most of them do not seem likely to become "defensive stoppers". Lyles maybe, Harris can for sure, and Murray might be able to, maybe even Beasley. But Jokic, Hernangomez, Lydon, Mudiay; they don't seem like man-on-man defense capable. Team defense is what Denver needs to learn and if you look at all of the top teams, every one of them does a lot of switching --- but it's more than that, they also know where the mismatch is and they do a second or even third switch to even things out. They don't worry about the initial matchup but they also learn how/when to double and how to recover. That's what makes teams great on defense.

Picks and screens are where the lesser teams fail. Going under every screen leaves great shooters an opening. Going over the top leaves a two-on-one with a trailer. Trying to deal with picks/screens different based on players is difficult because both players involved have to get it right or somebody is going to be on Shaqtin' A Fool.

Smart players can learn team defense and the Nuggets appear to have a lot of smart players (((regardless of what some seem to think, most NBA players are rather smart basketball-wise or they couldn't make it into the NBA))).

I believe the Nuggets can do this - if they hire a defensive assistant coach that Malone allows to do his thing.
skywalker33

Post#23 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Like the game Gafford played vs MIN. A quick 16/7 in 25 mins. He’s quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects. Good timing on his shot-blocking, dude is averaging over 6 bs a game. Definitely needs to add weight but has the frame to do so. Was recruited as a SF, but has played PF in HS so seems versatile. Think he’d be a good backup for Jokic, change of style on the 2nd unit

skywalker33

Post#24 » by skywalker33 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:32 am

Was wondering if we're in position to gamble on SF/SG Isaac Bonga ??? Realistically we have enough young talent to try and develop a potential high ceiling guy like this. He's not a bad defender and has good handles for a guy 6'9" but needs to work on hin shooting and gain some girth to his game. Seems I read the same thing about this prospect from Greece a few years back.....

skywalker33

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:56 am

More I look into it, Gafford looks to be my top choice, for more reasons than one.

1. Gafford shows some very huge promise, a rim-protector, capable defender and can score some.
2 . We can definitely use a 3rd Center, playing Plumlee and Faried was widely ineffective when Joker was out.
3. When Plumlee's contract is up, we'll have an inexpensive backup to replace him. Then we can utilize his cap space to some of our true core players whose deals will be coming to an end,

skywalker33

Post#26 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 am

Well, this thread has become a bit more important for as long as Malone is coaching this team.We're now in the range of Mikal Bridges or Kevin Knox, both good SF's

skywalker33

Post#27 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 am

For those wanting to check out a sleeper, SF Chandler Hutchison seems to be worth checking out. He's 6'7 200lbs sharp-shooter with a 7'1 wingspan. Has makings of a nice 3-D Small Forward prospect that can be within our range.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 am

skywalker33 wrote:For those wanting to check out a sleeper, SF Chandler Hutchison seems to be worth checking out. He's 6'7 200lbs sharp-shooter with a 7'1 wingspan. Has makings of a nice 3-D Small Forward prospect that can be within our range.

:pray: We need a drooling smiley.
skywalker33

Post#29 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:For those wanting to check out a sleeper, SF Chandler Hutchison seems to be worth checking out. He's 6'7 200lbs sharp-shooter with a 7'1 wingspan. Has makings of a nice 3-D Small Forward prospect that can be within our range.

HAve seen a couple of mocks that indicate we can get him in the 2nd round :o :o :o

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

HAve seen a couple of mocks that indicate we can get him in the 2nd round :o :o :o

:rockon:
skywalker33

Post#31 » by skywalker33 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:27 am

How about another sleeper at the SF position in Kevin Hervey. With an NBA ready 6-8, 230lb frame, he's in a D-II program at Texas Arlington scoring at a 21.1 and can hit the 3pt . Looks like another 2nd rounder G-League candidate but one with potential.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:18 am

skywalker33 wrote:How about another sleeper at the SF position in Kevin Hervey. With an NBA ready 6-8, 230lb frame, he's in a D-II program at Texas Arlington scoring at a 21.1 and can hit the 3pt . Looks like another 2nd rounder G-League candidate but one with potential.

We need a small forward for sure but they don't have to be a superstar. A nice complimentary player - aka 3-n-D. Sure, it's possible to get one in the 2nd round. There are a few good players in the NBA there were 2nds. :lol: I'll trust you to research the possibilities for now. I'll look at them after the season is over and I'm bored again (yet or still).

The NYK pick is probably going to be the better pick and with Porzingis out, it might be fairly nice (but still a 2nd). We'll still have our 1st too. Now, let's hope we don't trade our 1st for a 3rd round pick and a power forward to be named later. :banghead:
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#33 » by youngthegiant » Fri Feb 9, 2018 5:33 am

One guy who caught my attention. Isaac Bonga. 6'9 sf who moves like a guard.

youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#34 » by youngthegiant » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 am

I found him....The steal of the draft. Troy Brown Jr. Freshman from oregon. From Draft Express

Measured extremely well, at 6'6 in shoes with a 6'11 wingspan and a 210 pound frame. Big enough to play the small forward position in the NBA, even though he has plenty of guard skills. -Swiss army knife who can do a little bit of everything -Unselfish, high IQ passer. Reads the floor and finds the open man -Continues to show flashes as a shooter. Has a nice looking stroke, both spotting up and off the dribble. Very good in rhythm -Shows some potential operating in the post -Competitive defender. Instinctive getting in the passing lanes and crashing the glass. Shows the potential to guard any of the backcourt positions, or even some power forward at times -Highly articulate and intelligent. Knows exactly who he is as a player. Seems very humble despite being considered an elite-level prospect for years seemingly -One of the youngest players in this class. Won't turn 18 until the end of July

Only 18 years old, good defender,smart player,good passer, reportedly has larger hands than Kawhi Leonard. Perfect fit for this Denver team and his versatility to play multiple positions will help a lot.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 am

youngthegiant wrote:I found him....The steal of the draft. Troy Brown Jr. Freshman from oregon. From Draft Express

Measured extremely well, at 6'6 in shoes with a 6'11 wingspan and a 210 pound frame. Big enough to play the small forward position in the NBA, even though he has plenty of guard skills. -Swiss army knife who can do a little bit of everything -Unselfish, high IQ passer. Reads the floor and finds the open man -Continues to show flashes as a shooter. Has a nice looking stroke, both spotting up and off the dribble. Very good in rhythm -Shows some potential operating in the post -Competitive defender. Instinctive getting in the passing lanes and crashing the glass. Shows the potential to guard any of the backcourt positions, or even some power forward at times -Highly articulate and intelligent. Knows exactly who he is as a player. Seems very humble despite being considered an elite-level prospect for years seemingly -One of the youngest players in this class. Won't turn 18 until the end of July

Only 18 years old, good defender,smart player,good passer, reportedly has larger hands than Kawhi Leonard. Perfect fit for this Denver team and his versatility to play multiple positions will help a lot.

Looks good - I checked several mock drafts and they had him going at #9, #14, #20, #26. So there's a possibility he'll be available. Of course our front office might trade the pick for a PF and then draft a PF with the later pick. :lol:
skywalker33

Post#36 » by skywalker33 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:17 am

Starting to feel like this may be the year we try to move up in the draft and procure one of the premier SF's in this draft. We have our 1 (Murray). 2 (Harris), 4 (Lyles), and 5 (Jokic). Imagine how good a Kevin Knox, Mikal Bridges or perhaps even a (with the right offer) Michael Porter Jr or Luca Doncic would look in this offense :o And what better time to make a move to help continue or ascent, we could trade future draft pics as we wouldn't need more youth, we'd have cap money coming off the cap the next year with Faried, Arthur and possibly even Millsap expiring. Would 2018 #1 & #2 along with 2019 #1 and Juancho move us up to 4-8 range (from 19th ?), would we need to add another #1 ?? would it be worth it ??

Imagine this lineup

Jokic/Lyles/Porter/Murray/Harris with a bench of Plumlee/Lydon/Beasley/Morris. Plus we could add with our cap space

Or maybe this option in 2019

Jokic/Lyles/Kahwi/Murray/Harris with Juancho/Beasley/Lydon/Hutchison/Morris off the bench ??

We sign Kahwi Leonard with cap space from our expireds and can still move up in either the next two drafts (not quite as high if we keep Juancho) or use a #1 to rid ourselves of the Plumlee anchor, quite a few options.

Thoughts ??

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#37 » by Alatan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 pm

I think we should take a good look at Jacob Evans. On paper he has it all. Shooting, handles, defense, hustle, athleticism. He just doesnt have a great feel how to score and or has a limited role on his team. If he ever figures it out he could be a steal and fits our needs perfectly.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#38 » by Alatan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:14 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Starting to feel like this may be the year we try to move up in the draft and procure one of the premier SF's in this draft. We have our 1 (Murray). 2 (Harris), 4 (Lyles), and 5 (Jokic). Imagine how good a Kevin Knox, Mikal Bridges or perhaps even a (with the right offer) Michael Porter Jr or Luca Doncic would look in this offense :o And what better time to make a move to help continue or ascent, we could trade future draft pics as we wouldn't need more youth, we'd have cap money coming off the cap the next year with Faried, Arthur and possibly even Millsap expiring. Would 2018 #1 & #2 along with 2019 #1 and Juancho move us up to 4-8 range (from 19th ?), would we need to add another #1 ?? would it be worth it ??

Imagine this lineup

Jokic/Lyles/Porter/Murray/Harris with a bench of Plumlee/Lydon/Beasley/Morris. Plus we could add with our cap space

Or maybe this option in 2019

Jokic/Lyles/Kahwi/Murray/Harris with Juancho/Beasley/Lydon/Hutchison/Morris off the bench ??

We sign Kahwi Leonard with cap space from our expireds and can still move up in either the next two drafts (not quite as high if we keep Juancho) or use a #1 to rid ourselves of the Plumlee anchor, quite a few options.

Thoughts ??

Im not that high on SFs in this draft. Porter is more of tweener and i project him to be a better version of Gallinari but still a low tier all star/borderline allstar. Knox is a poor mans Tobias Harris and Mikal is something like Cowington witch is nice but not worth trading for. Miles bridges could become something like Jimmy Buckets but the chances of that are very slim and he will probably be a starting level SF with questionable D. Doncic is WAY TOO OVERHYPED and he will be a Ginobilli 2.0.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#39 » by psimanic1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Why not http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dzanan-musa
He should be there when we get to pick, and it's easier to move up few spots than 10 spots..
skywalker33

Post#40 » by skywalker33 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:22 pm

psimanic1 wrote:Why not http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dzanan-musa
He should be there when we get to pick, and it's easier to move up few spots than 10 spots..

Musa is a good pick but from what I've read, he'll be an average defender at best. I do agree he should be close to our pick and might be there at our pick. I was thinking more of a 3&D guy, Mikal Bridges seems to fit the closest but I'd really like to see another stud like Porter, see if our FO has the nards to pull it off w/o giving away the farm.

Return to Denver Nuggets