ImageImageImage

2018 Draft Prospects

Moderator: THE J0KER

youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Re: 2018 Draft Prospects 

Post#81 » by youngthegiant » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:33 am

Any of the Bridges, Knox, Brown Jr., Gilgeuos Alexander could all be good rotation players. Gilgeuos Alexander imo could be that steady back up guard we need. With his size/length(7 foot wingspan). Denver could potentially put 3 guards around Jokic and we get a pg who is very under control.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#82 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 pm

youngthegiant wrote:Any of the Bridges, Knox, Brown Jr., Gilgeuos Alexander could all be good rotation players. Gilgeuos Alexander imo could be that steady back up guard we need. With his size/length(7 foot wingspan). Denver could potentially put 3 guards around Jokic and we get a pg who is very under control.

Only issue with SGA is his shooting appears lacking and we all know how big PG's that can't shoot last around here.

Brown Jr is probably a early-to-mid 20's pick, don't see us trading down again this year.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
youngthegiant
Head Coach

Post#83 » by youngthegiant » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:53 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Any of the Bridges, Knox, Brown Jr., Gilgeuos Alexander could all be good rotation players. Gilgeuos Alexander imo could be that steady back up guard we need. With his size/length(7 foot wingspan). Denver could potentially put 3 guards around Jokic and we get a pg who is very under control.

Only issue with SGA is his shooting appears lacking and we all know how big PG's that can't shoot last around here.

Brown Jr is probably a early-to-mid 20's pick, don't see us trading down again this year.
Donovan Mitchell was a mid-20s pick last season when college ended. Brown jr. could work himself into the lottery, has all the skills to be a defender who can guard 4 positions, while also having playmaking ability and strong Iq. Only problem with Brown Jr. is the jumpshot. His forms looks solid but he only made 29% from college 3. Only 18 and maybe he can become an adequate shooter. You take best player available, I think Brown Jr. is the second best sf available behind Mikal Bridges. How awesome would OG Anunoby have been here if Denver had just taken him 13th. His defense as a 20 year old is really good and he is starting for the best team in the east. Instead they try to get cute and missed out on an opportunity to draft our 3/4 of the future, who could have fit perfectly with Jokic.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#84 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:41 pm

There are a lot of players we could have gotten and other teams can say the same thing. Look on the bright side of this, we'll be saying the same thing this time next: "Would've, could've, should've". 8-)
skywalker33

Post#85 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 pm

youngthegiant wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Donovan Mitchell was a mid-20s pick last season when college ended. Brown jr. could work himself into the lottery, has all the skills to be a defender who can guard 4 positions, while also having playmaking ability and strong Iq. Only problem with Brown Jr. is the jumpshot. His forms looks solid but he only made 29% from college 3. Only 18 and maybe he can become an adequate shooter. You take best player available, I think Brown Jr. is the second best sf available behind Mikal Bridges. How awesome would OG Anunoby have been here if Denver had just taken him 13th. His defense as a 20 year old is really good and he is starting for the best team in the east. Instead they try to get cute and missed out on an opportunity to draft our 3/4 of the future, who could have fit perfectly with Jokic.

That's BS man, I am a draftnik and I watched ALL the mocks saying Mitchell was a 10-14 guy as soon as he declared. Now can Brown work his way up...possible, but there is a lot of talent that could as well, Musa, Mitchell Robinson could go higher, especially with Gafford going back to school. a lot could happen, doesn't mean it will. And Brown could have climbing competition with Kris Wilkes and Jacob Evans, even Musa will be looking to get picked before Brown. And as of yet, he hasn't even declared, has he ??

As for OG, I agree, he was my guy all last year, just go back and check. I was shouting his praises months before the draft, but the FO just doesn't listen :evil:

youngthegiant
Head Coach

Post#86 » by youngthegiant » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:27 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

That's BS man, I am a draftnik and I watched ALL the mocks saying Mitchell was a 10-14 guy as soon as he declared. Now can Brown work his way up...possible, but there is a lot of talent that could as well, Musa, Mitchell Robinson could go higher, especially with Gafford going back to school. a lot could happen, doesn't mean it will. And Brown could have climbing competition with Kris Wilkes and Jacob Evans, even Musa will be looking to get picked before Brown. And as of yet, he hasn't even declared, has he ??

As for OG, I agree, he was my guy all last year, just go back and check. I was shouting his praises months before the draft, but the FO just doesn't listen :evil:
Nah Mitchell was always touted as a mid 1st until he went into workouts. In April/may mock drafts, no major sites had him in the lottery. Not draftexpress, Chad Ford, cbs, bleacher, basketball insiders. I followed Mitchell very closely,I remember thinking there is no way this guy goes that late in the 1st. Then once workouts started his stock began to rise. I'm shocked he made it to #13.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:57 am

skywalker33 wrote:That's BS man, I am a draftnik and I watched ALL the mocks saying Mitchell was a 10-14 guy as soon as he declared. Now can Brown work his way up...possible, but there is a lot of talent that could as well, Musa, Mitchell Robinson could go higher, especially with Gafford going back to school. a lot could happen, doesn't mean it will. And Brown could have climbing competition with Kris Wilkes and Jacob Evans, even Musa will be looking to get picked before Brown. And as of yet, he hasn't even declared, has he ??

I'll defer to Sky on this. He was the strongest advocate for Anunoby and it appears he was right. I know for a fact that he watches all the mock drafts out there and I would not choose to argue with him on what happened last year - although what happens this year? There are always surprises.

Just remember that Sky is our official "Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ". :bowdown:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#88 » by THE J0KER » Tue Apr 3, 2018 12:49 pm

Maybe Villanova Donte DiVincenzo is a good option for our backcourt backup solution? But unfortunately, his price raised after NCAA F4 so maybe he will not be available in the middle of the 2nd round like it was expected just a week before.

Talking about our 1st round pick, as a follower of regional ex-Yugoslavia regional ABA league, I guess someone expecting from me here to say something about SF prospect Dzanan Musa, which should be still available in the middle of the 1st round when Denver will have a pick. But to be very honest, I'm always very scared to give bold statements about young European white PG/SG/SF guys future in NBA. Unlike of Euro 6'10+ big men (see career cases of still active Nowitzki, Marc Gasol, Jokic of course, Nurkic, Porzingis, Vucevic, Saric... etc...) where performances often go over all optimistic expectations, in cases of Euro dominant PG/SG/SF talents there is no any guarantee. He really looks great and better right now compared to any other European player of his age-height combination, but his physics and athleticism which is good for European standards would be really challenged when he comes in NBA. Compared to Danilo Gallinari, rarely successful euro-SF with which Nuggets fans are familiar, he is that type of the player in general (an elite shooter in making), but note that Gallo is an inch taller than Musa, with an inch longer wingspan, which is helpful for him to reduce his defensive weakness. Another thing which I don't like about Musa is that he seems a little bit too emotional and he underperformed badly last week in his team ABA league playoff series, but for young players, emotional control and consistency was often problematic, so that was maybe a just bad week for Musa and nothing else. The good thing about Musa is that he is a natural Small Forward by position, not a PF forced to play SF like we have in PF-Chandler or PF-Juancho case (or SG-Barton case), and I see in his BBIQ and passing skills some potential secret weapon (thanks to Jokic we all know how big it may be in some cases).

Our draft strategy should be to take the best available SF player or guard, except in the case we know that we will sign an elite SF free agent during offseason, in which case we should be focussed on best (backup) guard option, but to not trade him this time to Utah :wink:.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 3, 2018 1:32 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Maybe Villanova Donte DiVincenzo is a good option for our backcourt backup solution? But unfortunately, his price raised after NCAA F4 so maybe he will not be available in the middle of the 2nd round like it seems just a week before.

Talking about our 1st round pick, as a follower of regional ex-Yugoslavia regional ABA league, I guess someone expecting from me here to say something about SF prospect Dzanan Musa, which should be still available in the middle of the 1st round when Denver will have a pick. But to be very honest, I'm always very scared to give bold statements about young European white PG/SG/SF guys future in NBA. Unlike of Euro 6'10+ big men (see career cases of still active Nowitzki, Marc Gasol, Jokic of course, Nurkic, Porzingis, Vucevic, Saric... etc...) where performances often go over all optimistic expectations, in cases of Euro dominant PG/SG/SF talents there is no any guarantee. He really looks great and better right now compared to any other European player of his age-height combination, but his physics and athleticism which is good for European standards would be really challenged when he comes in NBA. Compared to Danilo Gallinari, rarely successful euro-SF with which Nuggets fans are familiar, he is that type of the player in general (an elite shooter in making), but note that Gallo is an inch taller than Musa, with an inch longer wingspan, which is helpful for him to reduce his defensive weakness. Another thing which I don't like about Musa is that he seems a little bit too emotional and he underperformed badly last week in his team ABA league playoff series, but for young players, emotional control and consistency was often problematic, so that was maybe a just bad week for Musa and nothing else. The good thing about Musa is that he is a natural Small Forward by position, not a PF forced to play SF like we have in PF-Chandler or PF-Juancho case (or SG-Barton case), and I see in his BBIQ and passing skills some potential secret weapon (thanks to Jokic we all know how big it may be in some cases).

Our draft strategy should be to take the best available SF player or guard, except in the case we know that we will sign an elite SF free agent during offseason, in which case we should be focussed on best (backup) guard option, but to not trade him this time to Utah :wink:.

Totally agree and really appreciate your view on the non-bigs from Europe. I've been trying to follow Cancar but don't get to see him much and don't trust YouTube videos. What do you think of his potential to ever make the Nuggets? Is he a potential SF? Considering that he'd be a fourth or fifth option on offense? Maybe a bench scorer?
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#90 » by THE J0KER » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:33 pm

Cancar was part of golden Slovenian NT last summer, but he was probably biggest disappointment there. He improved during ABA season with several notable games, but he is far away from NBA level. He is 20 old, and other two comparable former ABA players which make NBA career, Bojan and Bogdan Bogdanovic, their career breakthrough improvement have at 21, so let's wait for another year and see. Right now is too early to gave-up from him after all positive flashes he shows time after time, but also it would be not serious to say something too much optimistic about his eventual NBA future (two years younger Musa already have a better season in ABA, not to mention Cancar's younger Slovenian NT teammate Doncic).
skywalker33

Post#91 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:08 pm

I like Musa, moreso if were selecting around the 18-19th spot should we make the playoffs. He's not my first choice at SF but may not have other options. His shooting is nice, he's got good range, it's his lack of defense that bothers me. He tries but as Joker noted, his athleticism will definitely limit him in the NBA.

skywalker33

Post#92 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 4:12 am

A new name to enter the draft is Malik Newman. Don't know where he'll land but he's a 6-3 scoring guard. While I don't think he's our guy in the 1st, but he'll probably push another player down in the 2nd round. If he falls to us in the 2nd I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat

Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#93 » by Joel Embust » Thu Apr 5, 2018 11:28 am

NuggetsWY wrote:There are a lot of players we could have gotten and other teams can say the same thing. Look on the bright side of this, we'll be saying the same thing this time next: "Would've, could've, should've". 8-)

Yep, Jokic was available in the 2nd round. Basically every team other than Denver passed up on him.
skywalker33

Post#94 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:18 pm

Eleqtrique wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:There are a lot of players we could have gotten and other teams can say the same thing. Look on the bright side of this, we'll be saying the same thing this time next: "Would've, could've, should've". 8-)

Yep, Jokic was available in the 2nd round. Basically every team other than Denver passed up on him.

Well, we passed on him in the 1st round...twice (via trade though)

skywalker33

Post#95 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:45 am

SF Kevin Knox leaving Kentucky for the Nuggets !!

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Apr 7, 2018 2:13 am

skywalker33 wrote:SF Kevin Knox leaving Kentucky for the Nuggets !!

Way cool - by-passing the draft and everything? :lol:
skywalker33

Post#97 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 6:23 pm

PG Collin Sexton is entering as well, he's one of the guards I think has a slight chance of getting us to pull the trigger on as far as guards go.

skywalker33

Post#98 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:43 pm

SGA has joined the draft pool. A 6'6" PG out of Kentucky has signed with an agent so definitely staying in. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him either despite the Mudiay resemblance but either way pushes a player closer to our pick, wherever that lands.

Here's an ongoing list for the Nuggets draftniks like me

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/03/2018-nba-draft-early-entrants-list.html

SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#99 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:34 pm

I’m liking Jacob Evans from Cincinnati if no one unexpected falls.

Good shooter, good defender, decent passer, good enough athlete. Doesn’t really create anything on offense but he’s a junior that can probably step into a small role right away.

If chandler opts out and we can’t move plumlee/faried/Arthur, Craig & Evans can be a decent bargain bin rotation for most of the mins at 3.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#100 » by Mickey8 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:54 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Eleqtrique wrote:

Well, we passed on him in the 1st round...twice (via trade though)

I think his agent had a deal with the couple of teams to take him late in the second round, the Nuggets might have been one of them , the plan was to draft Jokic and he stays one more season in Serbia, if his agent declared him year later , Jokic would have be en picked in the lottery, I think his agent earns lots of money for himself with some provisions and what not like he did with Pekovic.

Return to Denver Nuggets