ImageImageImage

Trey Lyles

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Trey Lyles 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:29 am

I've seen a lot of disparagement regarding the draft day trade regarding Donovan Mitchell and Trey Lyles and Tyler Lydon. Mitchell IS displaying star-like qualities, apparent that we could've (should've ?) not made that trade. Lydon has yet to show any sort of NBA talent as of yet, but what is there to expect of the 24th pick. I still speculate that the Nuggets were targeting OG Anunoby at that spot, but we all know how that worked out and Lydon was a shock to us all.

However, in his 1st year with us (his 3rd in the league) Lyles has re-established the potential he had in his rookie year. With the future of the PF position evolving, Trey looks to be perfect candidate to fill that role. Playing behind PM and Faried, he has been a bit of a question mark yet given minor glimpses of things to come. Tonight, he showed what the Nuggets saw in him. Personally I'd like to see more of him while Millsap is out, should give us a chance to see how he can develop with Jokic. Yeah we could lose playoff positioning but we could just as easy start developing a solid (or better) player.

Our time frame has always been 2-3 years down the road, why not see if we have a position filled or if we have a need (and made-mistake ) to fill.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Re: Trey Lyles 

Post#2 » by U hova » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 am

He should start at Center. I see him as a long-term back-up center for the Nuggets, but given what's happened to our bigmen he should be starting now.
You can play him next to Faried and I guess they have a bit of a 5-4 PnR game they can run.

Also the Nuggets wings need to learn how to make entry passes. Whether it's Faried or Lyles whenever teams switch to shut-off drives /cuts the Nuggets never punish it. Instead they just drain the shot-clock into the single digits and the ball ends up in Barton's hands who's forced to make nothing out of even less.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 am

Really liking Lyles but he's more of a SF or stretch-4 than a center. He outweighs Faried slightly, but he's a couple inches taller, so that weight is of no value and Faried gets out-muscled by some centers, Lyles would stand even less of a chance IMO.
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 am

U hova wrote:He should start at Center. I see him as a long-term back-up center for the Nuggets, but given what's happened to our bigmen he should be starting now.
You can play him next to Faried and I guess they have a bit of a 5-4 PnR game they can run.

Also the Nuggets wings need to learn how to make entry passes. Whether it's Faried or Lyles whenever teams switch to shut-off drives /cuts the Nuggets never punish it. Instead they just drain the shot-clock into the single digits and the ball ends up in Barton's hands who's forced to make nothing out of even less.

Utah tried him at C and he failed miserably, Faried or Arthur ( remember him Malone ??) would easily be better choices at C, mostly Jazz fans opinions but I can't disagree

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#5 » by MidMountain » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah, at first I thought maybe Lyles could handle C given his height. After seeing him play a bit, I realize that he should not and PF is his spot.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:19 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
U hova wrote:He should start at Center. I see him as a long-term back-up center for the Nuggets, but given what's happened to our bigmen he should be starting now.

Utah tried him at C and he failed miserably, Faried or Arthur ( remember him Malone ??) would easily be better choices at C, mostly Jazz fans opinions but I can't disagree

Arthur who? You know how stubborn Malone is. He makes up his mind and won't change it regardless of what presents itself. As I just pointed out in another thread. He has his 9-man rotation since Jokic-Millsap went out and he just isn't going to play anyone else.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#7 » by THE J0KER » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Lyles looks much better this month in Denver than whole last season in Utah. But two years ago he is #12 pick and has promising first half of his rookie season, so maybe this is not so big surprise (sophomore slump is not rare phenom). He is a type of young player with a profile you want to gamble on rebirth when getting a second chance in the new team. But honestly speaking I have zero expectations from him after seasons starts because we have human wall on big man positions with Jokic, Millsap, Faried, Plumlee, Juancho. I started to look at him more seriously when Faried asked for a trade, and of course, especially after Millsap tragic injury which changes everything about Denver this season.

In last 5 matches, TL scores 18+ twice (only 3 times whole last season in Utah), but even in this great in-form period he not showed great consistency, so in game before he scored career-high 25pts (including 5/7 for 3pt), he is FG 0/8!? But in general, I'm more than happy to see what he doing last two weeks. If he produces until end of the season something like 20mpg 10ppg 5reb 1.5m3p it makes easy for us to handle Faried exit, or made of him a better asset than he is this summer when we get him from Jazz for some eventual PG/SF seeking Denver trade if Millsap and Faried stay both for 2019. This month he overperforming expectations, but unfortunately for him, he will be often compared to Donovan Mitchell, which is really unfair.
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 am

A nice 1-2-3 potential in Jokic/Murray/Lyles, realistically haven't seen this kind of awesome "potential" scoring trio since Issel/English/Vandeweghe

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

skywalker33 wrote:A nice 1-2-3 potential in Jokic/Murray/Lyles, realistically haven't seen this kind of awesome "potential" scoring trio since Issel/English/Vandeweghe

Yay! And don't forget Harris as a scorer.
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#10 » by TooBad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:16 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Really liking Lyles but he's more of a SF or stretch-4 than a center. He outweighs Faried slightly, but he's a couple inches taller, so that weight is of no value and Faried gets out-muscled by some centers, Lyles would stand even less of a chance IMO.

Lyles is the perfect Modern NBA 4 ...Time for you guys to trade Faried/Chandler for a upgrade at the SF.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 am

Obviously, we are really happy with how this trade turned out, but I really like Lyles and would love to still have him on the roster. Hope he keeps this up.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 pm

TooBad wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Really liking Lyles but he's more of a SF or stretch-4 than a center. He outweighs Faried slightly, but he's a couple inches taller, so that weight is of no value and Faried gets out-muscled by some centers, Lyles would stand even less of a chance IMO.

Lyles is the perfect Modern NBA 4 ...Time for you guys to trade Faried/Chandler for a upgrade at the SF.

Some of our regulars on this board think it was time to trade them before this season and some even think it was time to trade them before last season. :lol: But our coach just doesn't like using young players and our front office ... well, momma says, "If you can't say something nice, keep your nasty mouth shut" (or something like that). But I've already said it before, our front office has built a very unbalanced roster full of PFs.
babyjax13 wrote:Obviously, we are really happy with how this trade turned out, but I really like Lyles and would love to still have him on the roster. Hope he keeps this up.

I would think Utah loves trading with Denver - they always seem to get the better end of the deal :nod: and this trade was no exception. I still think it was a foolish deal, even if they didn't sign Millsap - we already had enough PFs and they not only traded for Lyles but then drafted another PF. :crazy: I get to see almost every Jazz game every year and Lyles seemed like a decent bench player but now he's beginning to look like another year or two and he just might become a very nice starter.

Thanks for the kind words too - both of you.
TooBad
Starter

Post#13 » by TooBad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
TooBad wrote:

Some of our regulars on this board think it was time to trade them before this season and some even think it was time to trade them before last season. :lol: But our coach just doesn't like using young players and our front office ... well, momma says, "If you can't say something nice, keep your nasty mouth shut" (or something like that). But I've already said it before, our front office has built a very unbalanced roster full of PFs.
babyjax13 wrote:Obviously, we are really happy with how this trade turned out, but I really like Lyles and would love to still have him on the roster. Hope he keeps this up.

I would think Utah loves trading with Denver - they always seem to get the better end of the deal :nod: and this trade was no exception. I still think it was a foolish deal, even if they didn't sign Millsap - we already had enough PFs and they not only traded for Lyles but then drafted another PF. :crazy: I get to see almost every Jazz game every year and Lyles seemed like a decent bench player but now he's beginning to look like another year or two and he just might become a very nice starter.

Thanks for the kind words too - both of you.

A lot of people talk about Phildelphia's young core but the Nuggets are right there and are rarely talked about for whatever reason. I've been watching Lyles/Murray since their Junior days on Team Canada so its great to see these guys coming around. I never understood why Lyles struggled because he has all the tools to be the stretch 4 PF that teams are fixated on these day. Honestly, you could probably play him at the three if you had to.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#14 » by THE J0KER » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 am

He scored 18+ points 4 times in past 8 games (only 3 times whole last season), so improvement is amazing. If he fits good with Jokic, maybe he should get a starting job for PF spot? Murray, Harris, Barton, Lyles, Jokic...
skywalker33

Post#15 » by skywalker33 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 am

THE J0KER wrote:He scored 18+ points 4 times in past 8 games (only 3 times whole last season), so improvement is amazing. If he fits good with Jokic, maybe he should get a starting job for PF spot? Murray, Harris, Barton, Lyles, Jokic...

He definitely creates spacing.

TooBad
Starter

Post#16 » by TooBad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 am

THE J0KER wrote:He scored 18+ points 4 times in past 8 games (only 3 times whole last season), so improvement is amazing. If he fits good with Jokic, maybe he should get a starting job for PF spot? Murray, Harris, Barton, Lyles, Jokic...

What about Milsap?
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:00 am

TooBad wrote:

What about Milsap?

I mean NOW, in Millsap absence of course. And Millsap return is projected somewhere in late March or early April, so who will be starting PF until he is out, actually becomes most important roster question of this season.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#18 » by lars_rosenberg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Why Malone isn't starting Chandler at the 3 and Lyles at the 4?
Nothing against Torrey Craig, but he doesn't look like the best option.
Is Chandler so much worse as a 3?
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#19 » by MidMountain » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Why Malone isn't starting Chandler at the 3 and Lyles at the 4?

Chandler seems much more comfortable offensively at the 4. Defensively, he seems about about the same at the 3 or 4. Torrey Craig's perimeter defense is tenacious. Starting him is a good way to determine if he is deserving of a full roster spot (he's on a 2-way now). Jokic & Chandler at the 4 worked very well last season. Plumlee and Lyles have shown chemistry and seem a great fit for the second unit.
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Why Malone isn't starting Chandler at the 3 and Lyles at the 4?

No, but he's turned into a whiny vet that Malone feels he needs to coddle. :banghead: Chandler has shown he's better at the 4 than the 3, at least in Malone's system (if that word can be used to describe it). Lyles has shown more potential IMO and Craig looks like a big keeper to me but Malone dances to his own drum, just hope that dance leads to the door.

Return to Denver Nuggets