ImageImageImage

Denver's weaknesses and how to address them in the off-season

Moderator: THE J0KER

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Re: Denver's weaknesses and how to address them in the off-season 

Post#21 » by NYG » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:13 pm

Not a Nuggets fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Nuggets are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#22 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 6:15 pm

NYG wrote:Not a Nuggets fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Nuggets are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

With the anticipated signing of Jokic to a MAX deal, we probably won't have much if any cap space to do anything. Barton will almost surely find another deal, Jefferson and D.Harris won't be resigned and we're hoping/expecting Chandler to opt out looking to find another team to sign with.

Should all that happen, I'd expect to see PG Monte Morris and SF Torrey Craig to resign on small contracts. Also, it wouldn't surprise us to see the FO try to trade Faried, Plumlee and/or Arthur but doubt that happens.

As for the draft, I can see the Nuggets looking for a top SF with their 1st pick else a backup PG. Personally, I think we may have to trade up to get the right SF but that's just me. With our 2nd pick I could see BPA or a rim protecting C, our 2nd from the GSW definitely a BPA draft-n-stash.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#23 » by TooBad » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:08 pm

youngthegiant wrote:1.) We need more vocal players. Most of our guys are very quiet and Richard Jefferson often references this on his podcast. Denver needs to find more vocal guys to lead and get others to open up on the floor. A team that is quiet is often taken advantage of, and when teams get physical, they often lose leads and games. Acquire someone like Marcus Smart in Free Agency, tough player who is known for having good leadership skills. Denver also needs a pg, so this alleviates two problems with one move.

2.) We need a better coach. Under 3 years of Malone, he has failed to give Denver an identity. Each night feels like we get a completely different team. The defense is terrible and the offense is not being utilized to its fullest extent. We've seen that having a jokic-ball offense can give Denver a top 3 offense. Denver has to harness that offense while maintaining a solid defense(at least top 10) Denver is nowhere near that. It's time find a new coach, being content with a mediocre one is how you get stuck. Denver should have made the playoffs two years in a row, but instead they have come up empty with nothing to show for it. I have no idea who Denver should hire, there isn't an elite coach available which makes this decision very important for the front office.

3.) Time to clear up the logjam. Faried, Arthur, Lyles, Juancho, Lydon, Millsap, Plumlee(plays pf minutes), Chandler. That's 8 players that get minutes at pf on the roster. It's ridiculous that Denver traded for one and drafted one while also signing one in Free Agency. Poor construction of the roster and getting pieces that don't fit with Jokic. Move Faried, Arthur, Lyles(get value before he becomes expensive). Give Juancho a chance to get some pf minutes and opening up an opportunity for Lydon down the road. Denver will also likely draft a 3/4 who can slide and play minutes there if needed.

Those are 3 of my glaring weakness that need to addressed. I'd love to hear your opinions on finding solutions for these problems and discussing other weakness that have not been mentioned.

You need to trade Murray or Harris. They are both starting SG's and should not be playing PG.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#24 » by skywalker33 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:59 pm

TooBad wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:1.) We need more vocal players. Most of our guys are very quiet and Richard Jefferson often references this on his podcast. Denver needs to find more vocal guys to lead and get others to open up on the floor. A team that is quiet is often taken advantage of, and when teams get physical, they often lose leads and games. Acquire someone like Marcus Smart in Free Agency, tough player who is known for having good leadership skills. Denver also needs a pg, so this alleviates two problems with one move.

2.) We need a better coach. Under 3 years of Malone, he has failed to give Denver an identity. Each night feels like we get a completely different team. The defense is terrible and the offense is not being utilized to its fullest extent. We've seen that having a jokic-ball offense can give Denver a top 3 offense. Denver has to harness that offense while maintaining a solid defense(at least top 10) Denver is nowhere near that. It's time find a new coach, being content with a mediocre one is how you get stuck. Denver should have made the playoffs two years in a row, but instead they have come up empty with nothing to show for it. I have no idea who Denver should hire, there isn't an elite coach available which makes this decision very important for the front office.

3.) Time to clear up the logjam. Faried, Arthur, Lyles, Juancho, Lydon, Millsap, Plumlee(plays pf minutes), Chandler. That's 8 players that get minutes at pf on the roster. It's ridiculous that Denver traded for one and drafted one while also signing one in Free Agency. Poor construction of the roster and getting pieces that don't fit with Jokic. Move Faried, Arthur, Lyles(get value before he becomes expensive). Give Juancho a chance to get some pf minutes and opening up an opportunity for Lydon down the road. Denver will also likely draft a 3/4 who can slide and play minutes there if needed.

Those are 3 of my glaring weakness that need to addressed. I'd love to hear your opinions on finding solutions for these problems and discussing other weakness that have not been mentioned.

You need to trade Murray or Harris. They are both starting SG's and should not be playing PG.

Ever heard of position-less basketball ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#25 » by MidMountain » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:16 pm

TooBad wrote:You need to trade Murray or Harris. They are both starting SG's and should not be playing PG.

On most teams you would be right. Denver has this guy called Jokic at center that handles most of the playmaking. Murray's off-ball skills and outside shot makes him very effective at the PG position for Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#26 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:26 pm

TooBad wrote:You need to trade Murray or Harris. They are both starting SG's and should not be playing PG.

Ever heard of point-forwards? During Jordan's time, Kerr & Paxson were the so-called point guards (actually SGs) but Pippen really ran the point. Denver has a point-center. Having two SGs is not a new thing, but it can be quite nice.

Oh yeah, speaking of SGs that play point (also known as short SGs): Iverson, Curry, and the list can keep going. Most PGs of today are also SGs.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#27 » by The Rebel » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:28 pm

TooBad wrote:

It's TooBad you either don't watch the Nuggets or don't understand what you are watching.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#28 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:25 am

Would the nuggets have any interest in Kemba? I know Jokic is pretty much the point but I think Kemba could be a good fit.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by The Rebel » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:51 am

Knrstz wrote:Would the nuggets have any interest in Kemba? I know Jokic is pretty much the point but I think Kemba could be a good fit.

I'm not interested in Kemba or any ball dominant PG and don't see how he is a great fit with what the Nuggets actually do best.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Apr 9, 2018 1:01 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Knrstz wrote:Would the nuggets have any interest in Kemba? I know Jokic is pretty much the point but I think Kemba could be a good fit.

I'm not interested in Kemba or any ball dominant PG and don't see how he is a great fit with what the Nuggets actually do best.

Love Kemba - but not on the Nuggets - thanks for the interest
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#31 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 pm

I think the idea of bringing in a kemba type guard would make us better next year. But I’ll take continuing to develop the Murray/Harris backcourt over a small 1 year improvement.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:31 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:I think the idea of bringing in a kemba type guard would make us better next year. But I’ll take continuing to develop the Murray/Harris backcourt over a small 1 year improvement.

Everyone that liked Bledsoe and/or Hill will like Kemba. I get it. I grew up with traditional 5 positions and not many playing multiple positions. It just isn't the way of the modern NBA.

If I rank those three, I like Hill better than Kemba and Kemba better than Bledsoe - that's based on shooting, defense, passing - in that order.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#33 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:26 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:I think the idea of bringing in a kemba type guard would make us better next year. But I’ll take continuing to develop the Murray/Harris backcourt over a small 1 year improvement.

Everyone that liked Bledsoe and/or Hill will like Kemba. I get it. I grew up with traditional 5 positions and not many playing multiple positions. It just isn't the way of the modern NBA.

If I rank those three, I like Hill better than Kemba and Kemba better than Bledsoe - that's based on shooting, defense, passing - in that order.

Bringing in a vet PG would kinda have a Minnesota effect. You definitely get better right now, but then you kinda just become a vet team with a couple young guys on it. Here we are tied with them after game 81 with our 3 best players under 24. I’d rather give that core every chance to turn into something special.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Bringing in a vet PG would kinda have a Minnesota effect. You definitely get better right now, but then you kinda just become a vet team with a couple young guys on it. Here we are tied with them after game 81 with our 3 best players under 24. I’d rather give that core every chance to turn into something special.

8-) That's what I've been saying since Malone started (not playing our youth and still missing the playoffs). You'll never convince me that we wouldn't have been a lock for mid-playoff ranking if our young players had more playing time for Malone's first two-years.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#35 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:06 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Everyone that liked Bledsoe and/or Hill will like Kemba. I get it. I grew up with traditional 5 positions and not many playing multiple positions. It just isn't the way of the modern NBA.

8-) That's what I've been saying since Malone started (not playing our youth and still missing the playoffs). You'll never convince me that we wouldn't have been a lock for mid-playoff ranking if our young players had more playing time for Malone's first two-years.

At the very least, we woulda got more for Mudiay and nurkic.
NYG
RealGM

Post#36 » by NYG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 am

Any interest in a Wilson Chandler for Avery Bradley sign and trade?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:38 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

I'm sorry but one of those is not like the other. Hill is happy playing on or off the ball, Bledsoe was most successful playing with another PG and spending half of his time off the ball, Kemba has never played off the ball and when more ball dominant players play with him their game suffers due to lack of touches. I will have to look it up again if needed, but at the trade deadline Kemba was top 8 for most touches and top 5 for time with the ball in his hands. That is not a guy that is going to be effective or happy without the ball in his hands the majority of the time.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am

NYG wrote:Any interest in a Wilson Chandler for Avery Bradley sign and trade?

We already have a SG.
NYG
RealGM

Post#39 » by NYG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am

The Rebel wrote:

We already have a SG.

I’m just having trouble placing Bradley somewhere this off-season and thinking of contenders he would make sense for.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 pm

NYG wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

We already have a SG.

I’m just having trouble placing Bradley somewhere this off-season and thinking of contenders he would make sense for.

We do not have the space under the luxury tax to sign him, and Harris is a better player so no need for him.

Return to Denver Nuggets