ImageImageImage

Denver's weaknesses and how to address them in the off-season

Moderator: THE J0KER

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Re: Denver's weaknesses and how to address them in the off-season 

Post#41 » by MidMountain » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

NYG wrote:Any interest in a Wilson Chandler for Avery Bradley sign and trade?

Chandler has a player option next season. There is a good chance he opts outs and becomes a free agent and cant be traded. If Chandler opts in, we will need to make serious salary cuts, and will likely prioritize dumping contacts not adding salary.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#42 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I’m actually becoming ok (maybe even hopeful) with chandler picking up his option and being here next year. The starting lineup kills people in net rating, and leaving it intact just keeps us from having another figuring out chemistry period.

Bring back the starting 5 and use lyles, our first, and any money we can spend in FA on building a bench with their own identity, and dumping plumlee. No more Jokic goes out and no one knows what to do next year, please.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#43 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:I’m actually becoming ok (maybe even hopeful) with chandler picking up his option and being here next year. The starting lineup kills people in net rating, and leaving it intact just keeps us from having another figuring out chemistry period.

Bring back the starting 5 and use lyles, our first, and any money we can spend in FA on building a bench with their own identity, and dumping plumlee. No more Jokic goes out and no one knows what to do next year, please.

The reasoning for Chandler to opt out is 1) we need the cap space to pay Jokic and avoid as much of the luxury tax as we can 2) he just doesn't bring it consistently EVERY NIGHT. When he actually puts forth an effort he a decent addition to the starting lineup, but this year that happened about 1 out of every 7 games and for $13M a year that money can be used to pay better players like Jokic.

I can see trying to use our 2019 pick to move Plumlee but you can't use Jokic 48 mins a game and not expect him to wear down (and who plays center if he's injured ?? Faried ??)
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#44 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:I’m actually becoming ok (maybe even hopeful) with chandler picking up his option and being here next year. The starting lineup kills people in net rating, and leaving it intact just keeps us from having another figuring out chemistry period.

The reasoning for Chandler to opt out is 1) we need the cap space to pay Jokic and avoid as much of the luxury tax as we can 2) he just doesn't bring it consistently EVERY NIGHT. When he actually puts forth an effort he a decent addition to the starting lineup, but this year that happened about 1 out of every 7 games and for $13M a year that money can be used to pay better players like Jokic.

I can see trying to use our 2019 pick to move Plumlee but you can't use Jokic 48 mins a game and not expect him to wear down (and who plays center if he's injured ?? Faried ??)

Last year he said he wasn't happy. His play this year seems to prove nothing's changed. I surely do hope he opts out.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#45 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:49 pm

If he opts out, and Jokic gets the max, we’re over the cap. What player that we can sign for the minimum is better than chandler?
skywalker33

Post#46 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:40 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:If he opts out, and Jokic gets the max, we’re over the cap. What player that we can sign for the minimum is better than chandler?

I'd like to see Torrey Craig and Juancho get his mins, at least they'll play and play harder than Chandler has this season, IllWill has dogged SO MANY games this year it's pathetic. He pouted last year about his mins and when given the starting job he really put in a minimal effort, Thanks Wilson, great veteran leadership !!

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#47 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:42 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:If he opts out, and Jokic gets the max, we’re over the cap. What player that we can sign for the minimum is better than chandler?

I think given more minutes that Craig would be fine as the starter, he is a good defender and while streaky he did well on 3 shooting aand moving off the ball. Chandler did not give a ton of effort for most of the season so I think the downgrade in talent will be made up for with hustle.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

I don't think they are going to move Plumlee, even if I wish they would.

I personally think the only real move we see this year is to trade Faried for a contract that is less per year on a veteran backup PG like Augustine, then draft a SF.

I would live to see them package Plumlee, Farird, and Arthur for an overpaid backup PG and a SF, then sign a backup Center like Koufos even if it costs Lydon and this years 1st.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#49 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 am

Well, this take didn’t age well.

Sure would be nice if the FO didn’t give plumlee 40+ mil over 3 years and DA a player option. Not sure what the best option at the 3 is. I don’t think Craig is starting caliber (although I love him off the bench), chandler plays solid defense most of the time but only shows up on offense 10% of the time, Barton is mostly terrible on defense and only shows up on offense like 60% of the time.

I guess we hope this years’ donovan Mitchell plays SF and lasts till 14.
skywalker33

Post#50 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:12 am

Next seems to be the timeframes:

Deadlines

6/24/18 — Player option deadline for Wilson Chandler.
6/29/18 — Team option deadline on Nikola Jokic.
6/29/18 — Player option deadline for Darrell Arthur.
7/1/18 — Gary Harris’ poison pill expires.
7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
7/6/18 — Danilo Gallinari trade exception expires.
10/31/18 — Team option deadlines on Tyler Lydon, Juancho Hernangomez, Jamal Murray and Malik Beasley.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:45 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:

Well, this take didn’t age well.

Sure would be nice if the FO didn’t give plumlee 40+ mil over 3 years and DA a player option. Not sure what the best option at the 3 is. I don’t think Craig is starting caliber (although I love him off the bench), chandler plays solid defense most of the time but only shows up on offense 10% of the time, Barton is mostly terrible on defense and only shows up on offense like 60% of the time.

I guess we hope this years’ donovan Mitchell plays SF and lasts till 14.

The issue is that there are not anywhere close to 30 starting quality SFs in the league, it is why Gallo got overpaid this year and some team will overpay Chandler if he opts out this year. Craig is a heck of a backup, but a marginal starter, as the 5th starter he is not a terrible option.

I do take issue with saying that Chandler plays solid defense most of the time, he really didn't this year, and with his terrible turnovers and lack of effort he looked like he was openly throwing games many times this season. One way or another he has to go.

Barton also has to go, his insistence on trying to go one on one at the end of games and his streaky overall offensive play is bad enough, but the guy would have trouble guarding me most nights.

We don't need a Donovan Mitchell, we need a Ron Artest, some think OG was that guy from last year's draft, and maybe we will find him this year, but depending on a rookie with a coach who obviously do not like to play many young players is not going to fix the issues next year. The front office is going to have to make some good trades for this team to take the next step next season.
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#52 » by MidMountain » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:28 pm

A quick note on Plumlee: The idea of him being Jokic-Lite for the second unit and moving the offense through him, so there is continuity on offense, seemed a good idea but has not been the case at all. He hardly uses his playmaking skills at all anymore. Since that didn't work out, he's been trying to contribute in other ways. He's trying to play the role of rim-protector and dunker, a role he's not particularly well-suited for. He has improved in that role over the season and has shown some ability (his game-saving block on Grant was awesome). However, without his using his passing talents that contract is way to big and he brings nothing else unique to this team. Here's hoping that next season he can start doing some playmaking for the second unit. If not and his only role is rim-protector and dunker, we can find a cheaper/better option.
skywalker33

Post#53 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Yeah, Chandler hasn't been engaged here for the last two seasons, please opt out and move on. Barton, I like his scoring but thinks he needs to play hero-ball towards end of the game and he doesn't have the consistency for that role, wish him well. And Plumlee really has disappointed me this year, not only with his excessive contract but as Mid noted, his play has altered and not with improvement. If one of the two had to go, I'd take Faried at C than Plumlee

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#54 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:35 pm

MidMountain wrote:A quick note on Plumlee: The idea of him being Jokic-Lite for the second unit and moving the offense through him, so there is continuity on offense, seemed a good idea but has not been the case at all. He hardly uses his playmaking skills at all anymore. Since that didn't work out, he's been trying to contribute in other ways. He's trying to play the role of rim-protector and dunker, a role he's not particularly well-suited for. He has improved in that role over the season and has shown some ability (his game-saving block on Grant was awesome). However, without his using his passing talents that contract is way to big and he brings nothing else unique to this team. Here's hoping that next season he can start doing some playmaking for the second unit. If not and his only role is rim-protector and dunker, we can find a cheaper/better option.

Say it isn't true; Malone using a player out of position/role - not using their strength. :banghead:
skywalker33

Post#55 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#56 » by Powder Blue » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:08 pm

This is why I'm down on this team. We owe $34 million to Faried/Arthur/Plumlee next year. Regardless of Chandler opting in or out our cap situation is terrible when considering we need PG and SF help at the very least.

They'd probably have to attach the 1st to trade a bad contract, it's really the only way to create the breathing room needed to balance/improve the roster.
skywalker33

Post#57 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Powder Blue wrote:

This is why I'm down on this team. We owe $34 million to Faried/Arthur/Plumlee next year. Regardless of Chandler opting in or out our cap situation is terrible when considering we need PG and SF help at the very least.

They'd probably have to attach the 1st to trade a bad contract, it's really the only way to create the breathing room needed to balance/improve the roster.

I agree that Plumlee got way too much on his contract, especially considering no one else seemed to be bidding against us, same thing for Faried at the time. They never looked into how damaged Arthur's knee was so there's that too. But had we not signed Plumlee we'd have a hole at backup C to fill, so there'd be that too. However, with what we paid Plumlee alone we could've probably fill all 3 positions

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Powder Blue wrote:

The one benefit to Faried and Arthur's contracts are that they are expiring deals, so they will have value if the Nuggets are willing to take back longer term marginal deals for a starting Sf and a backup PG.

I can also see using 1 of the expirings and Plumlee to go get one of those overpaid backup defensive Centers that are floating around the league. IF Malone is going to use our backup Center as a screen setter/finisher on offense only, than you can get a guy like Biyombo or Mahimi, and likely get another decent player at backup PG/SF or pick as incentive.
skywalker33

Post#59 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Powder Blue wrote:

20+ teams in the NBA are in the same boat as we are/will be

skywalker33

Post#60 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Powder Blue wrote:

The one benefit to Faried and Arthur's contracts are that they are expiring deals, so they will have value if the Nuggets are willing to take back longer term marginal deals for a starting Sf and a backup PG.

I can also see using 1 of the expirings and Plumlee to go get one of those overpaid backup defensive Centers that are floating around the league. IF Malone is going to use our backup Center as a screen setter/finisher on offense only, than you can get a guy like Biyombo or Mahimi, and likely get another decent player at backup PG/SF or pick as incentive.

On board with this idea too !!

Return to Denver Nuggets