ImageImageImage

Barton: Nugget or Not?

Moderator: THE J0KER

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Barton: Nugget or Not? 

Post#21 » by 8305 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm

The Pacers will have cap space this summer. I could see us having interest in Barton. To be a starter in Indiana he would need to beat out Bojan Bogdonovich (seems possible but not a given). My recall of Barton in very limited viewing is that he has a good handle for a wing and is a reliable shooter from distance. Is that accurate?

Is there much potential,growth potential for him if he got an expanded role? If another team were to sign him away from the Nuggets what would it take?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:58 pm

8305 wrote:The Pacers will have cap space this summer. I could see us having interest in Barton. To be a starter in Indiana he would need to beat out Bojan Bogdonovich (seems possible but not a given). My recall of Barton in very limited viewing is that he has a good handle for a wing and is a reliable shooter from distance. Is that accurate?

Is there much potential,growth potential for him if he got an expanded role? If another team were to sign him away from the Nuggets what would it take?

IMO he makes a great 6th man that can turn a game around. As a starter, you'll need a good rim protector because his man gets past him too often. His handles are OK on the break and such but he's not a good PG backup which is where he spent much of this season. His handles/decision making weren't adequate. He's best used as an ISO player.

His distance shooting was 37% but it would much better if he had better discretion - but what true shooter ever knows the difference between hot and cold? :lol: As for range, he's fairly smart about his range, but he can shoot from 3 or 4 feet beyond the arc.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#23 » by 8305 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 pm

I see where he is 27years old. Could he handle an expanded role (starting at the 3, getting 32 minutes per game)?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 pm

8305 wrote:I see where he is 27years old. Could he handle an expanded role (starting at the 3, getting 32 minutes per game)?

I think he'd love it and on the right team, he'd fit. Pacers just might be that team.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
8305 wrote:I see where he is 27years old. Could he handle an expanded role (starting at the 3, getting 32 minutes per game)?

I think he'd love it and on the right team, he'd fit. Pacers just might be that team.

I could easily see him thrive on the Pacers, I'd love to keep him here but financially it isn't looking promising.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
vanhill
Senior
And1: 245

Post#26 » by vanhill » Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 am

Raps fans here. If Will does choose to leave the Nuggets , I would definitely want him in the Raps.. too bad we dont have the cap space to sign him.
skywalker33

Post#27 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:08 pm

vanhill wrote:Raps fans here. If Will does choose to leave the Nuggets , I would definitely want him in the Raps.. too bad we dont have the cap space to sign him.

Well, unless you have expirings or draft picks, you're probably right, no S&T options there. He'd look good inTOR

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by NuggetsWY » Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
vanhill wrote:Raps fans here. If Will does choose to leave the Nuggets , I would definitely want him in the Raps.. too bad we dont have the cap space to sign him.

Well, unless you have expirings or draft picks, you're probably right, no S&T options there. He'd look good inTOR

Yeah, I like the Raptors' roster and there are pieces I'd love to grab, but they just don't see like a good trading partner for Denver. Although for a few years, I've thought Faried would be a great fit in Toronto. I know the people would love his play and his attitude.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#29 » by The Rebel » Sun May 13, 2018 8:44 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

Expirings aren't really going to cut it either, there is no way I can see Stan allowing Josh to sign and trade someone taking back expirings that will put the team well into the luxury tax. Depending on how Ujiri decides to move forward they can get a TPE in a larger deal, or pay a pick or two to someone like Atlanta or Chicago to take a contract back and use that TPE to acquire Barton leaving us with a future 2nd or something like what happened last year with Gallo. That we know they will do.

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Yeah, I like the Raptors' roster and there are pieces I'd love to grab, but they just don't see like a good trading partner for Denver. Although for a few years, I've thought Faried would be a great fit in Toronto. I know the people would love his play and his attitude.

I can actually see the Nuggets being the 3rd team in a 3 team deal with the Raptors and sending out expirings like FAried, but signing and trading Barton as part of that is going to be pretty difficult to pull off.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm

With the draft bringing two potential SFs plus at least one stash (seems unlikely) and the probability of signing Craig (low cost contract) with Hernangomez seemingly thought of as a SF --- it seems likely Barton isn't signed.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#31 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:52 pm

This year there aren't many team with cap space, and those who have it will try to pry better players than Barton.
It may be a good chance to resign him for cheap.
skywalker33

Post#32 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

We talk about Wilson Chandler, but what impact does drafting MPJ have on resigning Will Barton ?

RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,248

Post#33 » by RRFB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 pm

TC has said repeatedly that they still want to bring Barton back, and the fact that they didn't draft a single guard last night reinforces that, imo. I expect at least one of Barton/Chandler to still be on this roster next year.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#34 » by U hova » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:10 pm

RRFB wrote:TC has said repeatedly that they still want to bring Barton back, and the fact that they didn't draft a single guard last night reinforces that, imo. I expect at least one of Barton/Chandler to still be on this roster next year.

They decided against it because Porter was available but I think we were slated to pick-up Zhaire Smith...
Maybe wishful thinking on my part. I feel like TC said he wanted Gallo back too.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:35 pm

skywalker33 wrote:We talk about Wilson Chandler, but what impact does drafting MPJ have on resigning Will Barton ?

Since Malone likes Barton as his backup PG and Malone likes Barton as his backup SG and Malone likes Barton as his backup SF; I'd say Porter's signing has little effect on Barton's status.

I'd say the biggest factor regarding Barton's re-signing would be if they can sign him and stay under the luxury tax. I doubt our ownership will sign him above the luxury tax. So that leaves it on the front office eliminating salary: Faried, Arthur, Chandler, Plumlee, Millsap - the only other significant salaries are Harris and potentially (probably) Jokic. It seems unlikely that they will move Plumlee or Millsap.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#36 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Honestly I don't even know if MPJ will play this season.
A "philly style" rookie season where he doesn't play, can recover from injury and work on his fundamentals with and NBA staff could be the best option for him and for the team.
skywalker33

Post#37 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Since Malone likes Barton as his backup PG and Malone likes Barton as his backup SG and Malone likes Barton as his backup SF; I'd say Porter's signing has little effect on Barton's status.

Well since you don't like Malone as a coach and you don't like Malone as a front office guy and you don't like Malone....in general; it's probably good thing that the front office is the one in charge of signings. I think the luxury tax will impact this decision though we really do need another playmaker in the backup unit/back court. Also, the free agent market has limited resources to pay guys and a lot of other FA's are gonna get the bigger bucks so we may get a steal with Barton, at least that's what I'm thinking. I do kinda hope he finds that big paycheck.

Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#38 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 am

as much as barton can be frustrating, we are going to miss him when hes gone. its definitely going to be a short term loss for us. WC opting in and the stupid plumlee contract cost us barton
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#39 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 am

8305 wrote:The Pacers will have cap space this summer. I could see us having interest in Barton. To be a starter in Indiana he would need to beat out Bojan Bogdonovich (seems possible but not a given). My recall of Barton in very limited viewing is that he has a good handle for a wing and is a reliable shooter from distance. Is that accurate?

not really. he is what he is. solid.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Since Malone likes Barton as his backup PG and Malone likes Barton as his backup SG and Malone likes Barton as his backup SF; I'd say Porter's signing has little effect on Barton's status.

Well since you don't like Malone as a coach and you don't like Malone as a front office guy and you don't like Malone....in general; it's probably good thing that the front office is the one in charge of signings. I think the luxury tax will impact this decision though we really do need another playmaker in the backup unit/back court. Also, the free agent market has limited resources to pay guys and a lot of other FA's are gonna get the bigger bucks so we may get a steal with Barton, at least that's what I'm thinking. I do kinda hope he finds that big paycheck.

Yup, I don't have much respect for Malone. He's too rigid. He's trying to coach a 1990s team.
Our front office still has an out-of-balance roster and that's not helping Malone.
Clearly the luxury tax is an issue. If the ownership will pay it for one year, they can be totally away from it next year.

I do not object to Barton - as a bench player. He just doesn't fit with Jokic, especially under Malone. He may work very well with Jokic. He has the right skills (offensively). But that isn't how he has been used. I really object to Barton in the last two minutes of any quarter. Like Jameer Nelson, he prefers to dribble out the clock and launch a ridiculous shot -- although not as often as Nelson, but it's still a bit of a problem IMO.

Return to Denver Nuggets