ImageImageImage

Denver Drafts Michael Porter Jr.

Moderator: THE J0KER

youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Denver Drafts Michael Porter Jr. 

Post#1 » by youngthegiant » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 am

I was all in on Denver taking a swing for the fences at #14, huge upside pick.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,516

Re: Denver Drafts Michael Porter Jr. 

Post#2 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am

Embiid was projected as #1 pick, but thanks to an injury he drops to #3. We should use the same type of patience which Sixers showed with Embiid. Shot down rookie or sophomore season early on the first bad sign. Porter should be our long-term project.

EDIT: Michael Porter Jr.’s back injury, explained by a surgeon and a jelly doughnut

NEW EDIT:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:58 am

Well, damn. I see him as a PF, not an SF, and with that in mind I think there's some fit issues defensively unless he really improves on that end, but obviously this is just a flat out BPA pick with massive upside given the range, congrats guys.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#5 » by Spens1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 am

Steal of the draft i think. Well done Denver, i think he could fit nicely into that lineup and if he's healthy, he could make you guys a playoff team (or at least leapfrog Minnesota).
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#6 » by Mac1958 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 am

I don't see how they could have NOT taken him. Pick 14 is a crap shoot anyway, and there's just too much potential there.

His injury and his defense are two big concerns, but holy crap, you take a shot here.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#7 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:38 am

GimmeDat wrote:Well, damn. I see him as a PF, not an SF, and with that in mind I think there's some fit issues defensively unless he really improves on that end, but obviously this is just a flat out BPA pick with massive upside given the range, congrats guys.
I was also confused in the past when some other tall guys listed as SF, like Durant or Giannis, but they prove my doubts wrong (except in Kevin Garnett case, which played SF only during the rookie year). For Porter Jr is crucial to prove that he can stay healthy and that he is really TOP5 talent in his rookie class. Right now we have way too much PF's, but already in the next summer at least Millsap, Faried, Chandler, and Arthur will not be there anymore. So it will not be the end of the world if MPJ rises into PF instead of SF, if he proves himself like future NBA star. Jokic is projected to be PF behind C-Nurkic but he is much better like center, Murray is forced to play PG despite SG is probably his natural position, but who cares once Jokic and Murray showed such talent. So I want to see first of all MPJ talented and healthy, and if he also proves himself as SF, it would be perfect. No doubt that good SF is what Nuggets needs the most at the moment.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#8 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am

At #14, this is just a great gamble to take. Those teen picks rarely pan out anyway... And MPJ has an upside of a #1 pick. Great job by the front-office taking a high risk, and even higher reward guy.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#9 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Well, damn. I see him as a PF, not an SF, and with that in mind I think there's some fit issues defensively unless he really improves on that end, but obviously this is just a flat out BPA pick with massive upside given the range, congrats guys.
I was also confused in the past when some other tall guys listed as SF, like Durant or Giannis, but they prove my doubts wrong (except in Kevin Garnett case, which played SF only during the rookie year). For Porter Jr is crucial to prove that he can stay healthy and that he is really TOP5 talent in his rookie class. Right now we have way too much PF's, but already in the next summer at least Millsap, Faried, Chandler, and Arthur will not be there anymore. So it will not be the end of the world if MPJ rises into PF instead of SF, if he proves himself like future NBA star. Jokic is projected to be PF behind C-Nurkic but he is much better like center, Murray is forced to play PG despite SG is probably his natural position, but who cares once Jokic and Murray showed such talent. So I want to see first of all MPJ talented and healthy, and if he also proves himself as SF, it would be perfect. No doubt that good SF is what Nuggets needs the most at the moment.

I've looked in to MPJ pretty strongly, considering how much he was mocked to us, and I don't feel like he moves well enough or has the ball skills to be an SF. The whole KD/Giannis archetype thing seems like a big misnomer, imo.

If MPJ could be a big SF and it works effectively, it would be the best outcome roster building wise for you guys, but I just don't think that'll be the case.

One thing I love though is you guys picked up Vanderbilt - if healthy he's a stud defender, best rebounder in the draft sans Bagley, can play the 4 or small 5 imo, and should really be able to provide that skill-set contrast with defense/rim protection/athleticism, whilst still bringing a great feel for the game and passing instincts to the table, which your franchise clearly covets.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#10 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:22 pm

If he can be SF, great for us, if he is more of a PF, I wouldn't mind starting 5 of:
Jokic
Porter
Vanderbilt
Harris
Murray

And HEEEY, We got ourself a Porter! It's not Otto but he is also not getting 25mil :lol:
GrapeApe
Pro Prospect
And1: 14

Post#11 » by GrapeApe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 pm

psimanic1 wrote:If he can be SF, great for us, if he is more of a PF, I wouldn't mind starting 5 of:
Jokic
Porter
Vanderbilt
Harris
Murray

And HEEEY, We got ourself a Porter! It's not Otto but he is also not getting 25mil :lol:

Denver's roster is starting to look really good.
_Joker
Senior
And1: 715

Post#12 » by _Joker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am

Hopefully he can get over his fitness issues and work his way in to the side. It's nice to have such a tantalizing prospect in the squad now.
Zaccaibone
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#13 » by Zaccaibone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:04 am

On draft night he was compared to Durant.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#14 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 am

The one thing I’d like mpj to work on for possibly the next 16 months is his mid range game. KD took over finals games by just having an automatic 10-15 foot jumper and being tall enough to shoot over normal sized wings. Mpj has that same potential.

Imagine Jokic with the ball at the top of the key and Murray or Harris setting a back screen for mpj. If they switch, mpj just gets position and fires away over a guard. If the guard helps while the SF tries to fight thru the screen, Harris or Murray flares out for an open 3.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Nuggets Not Sure If Michael Porter Will Play At All During 18-19 Season

This is good news actually. We all know that nobody will drop suddenly from TOP5 to #14 pick just because of "rumors". We must be very patient and cautious in this case.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#16 » by FNQ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:21 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Nuggets Not Sure If Michael Porter Will Play At All During 18-19 Season

This is good news actually. We all know that nobody will drop suddenly from TOP5 to #14 pick just because of "rumors". We must be very patient and cautious in this case.

**CAUTION**
This is gonna be long and medical and I'm even gonna be bored writing it, so..

First off, don't buy that he's redshirting. This does 2 things: lowers fan expectations, and basically tells Porter not to rush back. Worried about his back spasms leading into the draft? Don't. I'll explain why.

So the back is broken into 4 areas - cervical, thoracic, lumbar and saccral. Lumbar is the lower back and usually associated with sciatica, which can cause pain and numbness down the leg. Porter apparently had it faintly, and still might evidenced by his limp at the draft, but that's not a big issue at this stage.

Has microdiscectomy surgery. This is the most benign of disc herniation surgeries. They essentially take off the outer layer of the disc thats ruptured that cant be put back together, seal the disc, and let the body do its job and strengthen that now sealed layer around the disc. This takes about 3-4 weeks post-surgery and the only physical limitation is to not bend at the waist which would put stress on the newly healed disc.

But let me tell you - hours after the surgery, you feel AMAZING. That whole walking in pain with a dramatic limp? Gone. And if someone was carrying that baggage for 2 years.. it feels like you've been given a new life. And therein lies the problem - after 3-4 weeks of walking around but not being able to intensely exercise, you get antsy. As soon as week 4 hits - and I can only imagine this intensifies for someone entering the NBA draft - you start hitting the gym, hard. Running, lifting, swimming, whatever. Only problem is, your muscles have not been working very hard the past few months.. boom, muscle spasms. This would explain Porter not showing well in the NCAA and shutting down workouts. Overexertion doesnt damage the surgical process, but it can put your body into shock because its just not been doing that lately. If you're a high level athlete and you take 8 months off, you cant just jump back into it, whether youre 18 or 40.

So now let's talk rehab: Porter's surgery was 11/21/17. Typically, you give one month or so of no-bending, but insist they walk around to help prevent scar tissue. So say that brings us to January 1st, 2018. Now you have to being slowly training your body to regain its strength. Typically this is a 6-8 week venture, as you strengthen your core muscles along with lightly tuning your legs (no arms/shoulders yet, except minimal stretching). Now March 1st. Strengthen your leg muscles while going to a light workout in your arms. That would bring us to May 1st.

But wait, because Porter returned to play March 8th. MARCH EIGHTH. There's no way he could have been even halfway done with the healing process by then. Played 2 games (3/8, 3/16) where he definitely looked out of sorts, but amazingly limber for someone in his position.

Now at May 1st, he should be in the arms/core part of rehab where he's now more comfortable with his back strength and is focused on improving muscle mass in arms and shoulders, going down to the core and back. But keep in mind this is someone who's already put too much strain on himself by returning early. His rehab is now in disarray and its very likely that returning to action that fast put some stress on his core and legs. This process would usually take another 6-8 weeks, and would in theory still be going on today. But because he was basically trying to prove to teams he was healthy, he likely overexerted and put too much strain on his hips as a means of taking stress of his back, thus causing his latest injury. Unless that turns out to be serious, what we have here is a case of:

- Kid hurts back at 16 but thinks nothing of it, because he's a freakin kid. Waits for it to heal, doesnt treat it like the severe injury its becoming
- Kid plays at 17, no issues
- Kid can't play at 18 because of improperly treated back issue. Finally gets correct surgery
- Kid rushes back so he can be in the NBA draft, does poorly
- Kid overexerts to show his poor play isn't who he is, injures self (supposedly minorly)

So I say all that to say this: if the scouts were right on him in HS, and he truly is this blue-chip prospect, then there's nothing in his medicals that would lead anyone overly familiar with this process to believe that he's at any elevated long-term risk. Now that he's drafted and the dog and pony show is over, the Nuggets are letting him rehab at his own pace (smart) while lowering fan expectations (also smart) and will let him get his body back before unleashing him. BUT, I will say that waiting until he's 100% might be detrimental to his long-term development. I'd deploy him at around 80% - something with a minimal chance of minor injuries - because he would be going up against NBA caliber athletes at 80%, thus forcing him to develop some craftiness and good mechanics in order to be successful. That way when, in the next season, when he's 100% ready to rock, he has all that experience in his back pocket, and will be an even more dangerous weapon.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:56 pm

FNQ wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Nuggets Not Sure If Michael Porter Will Play At All During 18-19 Season

**CAUTION**
This is gonna be long and medical and I'm even gonna be bored writing it, so..

First off, don't buy that he's redshirting. This does 2 things: lowers fan expectations, and basically tells Porter not to rush back. Worried about his back spasms leading into the draft? Don't. I'll explain why.

So the back is broken into 4 areas - cervical, thoracic, lumbar and saccral. Lumbar is the lower back and usually associated with sciatica, which can cause pain and numbness down the leg. Porter apparently had it faintly, and still might evidenced by his limp at the draft, but that's not a big issue at this stage.

Spoiler:
Has microdiscectomy surgery. This is the most benign of disc herniation surgeries. They essentially take off the outer layer of the disc thats ruptured that cant be put back together, seal the disc, and let the body do its job and strengthen that now sealed layer around the disc. This takes about 3-4 weeks post-surgery and the only physical limitation is to not bend at the waist which would put stress on the newly healed disc.

But let me tell you - hours after the surgery, you feel AMAZING. That whole walking in pain with a dramatic limp? Gone. And if someone was carrying that baggage for 2 years.. it feels like you've been given a new life. And therein lies the problem - after 3-4 weeks of walking around but not being able to intensely exercise, you get antsy. As soon as week 4 hits - and I can only imagine this intensifies for someone entering the NBA draft - you start hitting the gym, hard. Running, lifting, swimming, whatever. Only problem is, your muscles have not been working very hard the past few months.. boom, muscle spasms. This would explain Porter not showing well in the NCAA and shutting down workouts. Overexertion doesnt damage the surgical process, but it can put your body into shock because its just not been doing that lately. If you're a high level athlete and you take 8 months off, you cant just jump back into it, whether youre 18 or 40.

So now let's talk rehab: Porter's surgery was 11/21/17. Typically, you give one month or so of no-bending, but insist they walk around to help prevent scar tissue. So say that brings us to January 1st, 2018. Now you have to being slowly training your body to regain its strength. Typically this is a 6-8 week venture, as you strengthen your core muscles along with lightly tuning your legs (no arms/shoulders yet, except minimal stretching). Now March 1st. Strengthen your leg muscles while going to a light workout in your arms. That would bring us to May 1st.

But wait, because Porter returned to play March 8th. MARCH EIGHTH. There's no way he could have been even halfway done with the healing process by then. Played 2 games (3/8, 3/16) where he definitely looked out of sorts, but amazingly limber for someone in his position.

Now at May 1st, he should be in the arms/core part of rehab where he's now more comfortable with his back strength and is focused on improving muscle mass in arms and shoulders, going down to the core and back. But keep in mind this is someone who's already put too much strain on himself by returning early. His rehab is now in disarray and its very likely that returning to action that fast put some stress on his core and legs. This process would usually take another 6-8 weeks, and would in theory still be going on today. But because he was basically trying to prove to teams he was healthy, he likely overexerted and put too much strain on his hips as a means of taking stress of his back, thus causing his latest injury. Unless that turns out to be serious, what we have here is a case of:

- Kid hurts back at 16 but thinks nothing of it, because he's a freakin kid. Waits for it to heal, doesnt treat it like the severe injury its becoming
- Kid plays at 17, no issues
- Kid can't play at 18 because of improperly treated back issue. Finally gets correct surgery
- Kid rushes back so he can be in the NBA draft, does poorly
- Kid overexerts to show his poor play isn't who he is, injures self (supposedly minorly)

So I say all that to say this: if the scouts were right on him in HS, and he truly is this blue-chip prospect, then there's nothing in his medicals that would lead anyone overly familiar with this process to believe that he's at any elevated long-term risk. Now that he's drafted and the dog and pony show is over, the Nuggets are letting him rehab at his own pace (smart) while lowering fan expectations (also smart) and will let him get his body back before unleashing him. BUT, I will say that waiting until he's 100% might be detrimental to his long-term development. I'd deploy him at around 80% - something with a minimal chance of minor injuries - because he would be going up against NBA caliber athletes at 80%, thus forcing him to develop some craftiness and good mechanics in order to be successful. That way when, in the next season, when he's 100% ready to rock, he has all that experience in his back pocket, and will be an even more dangerous weapon.

Thanks - wonderful writeup. I have a friend that is a 56 year old lady that drives school bus. She had a similar injury and could drive her bus just a few months later - not an athlete but still impressive. Thing is, I understand her injury much more now. I appreciate the write-up and did not find it boring at all!
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#18 » by SmokeyPaw » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Saw this write up on sbnation regarding Mom's surgery. They indicate that full recovery is expected by the 2nd season following surgery which may explain the talk about red shirting. Sounded like he might be able to play sooner but not at full strength. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/6/15/17362958/michael-porter-jr-nba-draft-stock-pick-back-injury-surgery
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#19 » by The Rebel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like one of the few other teams that can afford to rehab Porter Jr was trying to get up to get him as well.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#20 » by U hova » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Man, I'm tired of reading "actually the Celtics were considering doing this too..." every year after the draft.

Return to Denver Nuggets