Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Summer League 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Summer League begins July 6th.

The league is going to experiment with an NFL-type challenge option.

Will Porter be playing? Seems like he's ready from what I can find.
Monte Morris is surely going to play.
Craig will almost certainly be there.
Lydon should be there as well.
It seems unlikely that any other Nuggets of last year will be there.

Will any of our stash players of the past be there? Don't think so, but ...

Will Thomas Welsh or Jarred Vanderbilt be there? Is Vanderbilt even healthy enough? He skipped the combine because of his injuries.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Re: Summer League 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Summer League begins July 6th.

The league is going to experiment with an NFL-type challenge option.

Will Porter be playing? Seems like he's ready from what I can find.
Monte Morris is surely going to play.
Craig will almost certainly be there.
Lydon should be there as well.
It seems unlikely that any other Nuggets of last year will be there.

Will any of our stash players of the past be there? Don't think so, but ...

Will Thomas Welsh or Jarred Vanderbilt be there? Is Vanderbilt even healthy enough? He skipped the combine because of his injuries.

Lydon is still recovering from injury, may be ready for TC but not SL. Heard Cancar may be playing too
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#3 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 pm

As much as I’d like to see mpj, I hope he doesn’t play summer league
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:As much as I’d like to see mpj, I hope he doesn’t play summer league

According to Porter, he skipped the combine because of a spasm in his hip and it just needed a couple of days rest. His back is supposedly OK. If all of that is true, I hope he does play in the Summer League. Every team plays a minimum of five games with potential playoff games also. Under Malone's regime, it seems they have not focused on winning as much as looking at players (right approach in my opinion).
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#5 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm

According to live feed on nuggets facebook page, it looks to me like Jarred is still injured so I wouldnt count on him for SL
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#6 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:15 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:As much as I’d like to see mpj, I hope he doesn’t play summer league

According to Porter, he skipped the combine because of a spasm in his hip and it just needed a couple of days rest. His back is supposedly OK. If all of that is true, I hope he does play in the Summer League. Every team plays a minimum of five games with potential playoff games also. Under Malone's regime, it seems they have not focused on winning as much as looking at players (right approach in my opinion).

Insightful article in the injury:
https://theinjuryinsight.com/michael-porter-jr-microdiscectomy/

Basically, the surgery takes 3-4 months to recover from, but it’ll be another year after that to return to pre-injury form.

Good news: there’s only a 10-12% chance if re-injury.

IMO the best course of action is to hold him out until around March (a year after he returned to Missouri) or even for the whole year if he isn’t needed for the stretch run. I wasn’t expecting a draft pick to have any real impact on the team this year anyways. Getting MPJ next year, completely healthy, with only a 10% chance of re-injury is a huge win for the 14th pick.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#7 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:58 am

im going to SL again this year and yes, hurts to say but I hope he sits out.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#8 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:29 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Basically, the surgery takes 3-4 months to recover from, but it’ll be another year after that to return to pre-injury form.

IMO the best course of action is to hold him out until around March (a year after he returned to Missouri) or even for the whole year if he isn’t needed for the stretch run. I wasn’t expecting a draft pick to have any real impact on the team this year anyways. Getting MPJ next year, completely healthy, with only a 10% chance of re-injury is a huge win for the 14th pick.

This!

If we are enough smart and patient, it would be like trading #14 pick for #4 pick of next season draft! A clean and sure win for Denver in that case, while gambling with him already during the upcoming season would be very risky. Our young team is projected to peak in 2020+ anyway, so why hurry or push things when big picture and time is on our side?
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am

THE J0KER wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:According to Porter, he skipped the combine because of a spasm in his hip and it just needed a couple of days rest. His back is supposedly OK. If all of that is true, I hope he does play in the Summer League. Every team plays a minimum of five games with potential playoff games also. Under Malone's regime, it seems they have not focused on winning as much as looking at players (right approach in my opinion).

This!

If we are enough smart and patient, it would be like trading #14 pick for #4 pick of next season draft! A clean and sure win for Denver in that case, while gambling with him already during the upcoming season would be very risky. Our young team is projected to peak in 2020+ anyway, so why hurry or push things when big picture and time is on our side?

agreed. i almost want to sit him the entire year but that would be almost two straight year of no basketball for him.

im hoping he gets in 30ish games for 5-10 minutes per game. just enough to feel what the nba game is like.
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:05 am

SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#11 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:Insightful article in the injury:

This!

agreed. i almost want to sit him the entire year but that would be almost two straight year of no basketball for him.

im hoping he gets in 30ish games for 5-10 minutes per game. just enough to feel what the nba game is like.

The good thing is that he’s at least mostly healthy now. That means the training staff can get some muscle on him and he can work on any part of his game without limitations. He could even practice with the team all year. Just sit out contact 5 on 5.

Not as good as playing 82 nba games, but better than spending months recovering and not being able to get any work in.
Zaccaibone
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Zaccaibone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 am

All man he is imjured?
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:47 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Nuggets_Talk wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:This!

The good thing is that he’s at least mostly healthy now. That means the training staff can get some muscle on him and he can work on any part of his game without limitations. He could even practice with the team all year. Just sit out contact 5 on 5.

Not as good as playing 82 nba games, but better than spending months recovering and not being able to get any work in.

good point. id still like to get him some nba action this year if possible. maybe starting after jan/feb?
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#14 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:42 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Nuggets_Talk wrote:

good point. id still like to get him some nba action this year if possible. maybe starting after jan/feb?

He got cleared mid feb I believe, so I’d just play it by ear starting after the all star break
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Nuggets_Talk wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:The good thing is that he’s at least mostly healthy now. That means the training staff can get some muscle on him and he can work on any part of his game without limitations. He could even practice with the team all year. Just sit out contact 5 on 5.

He got cleared mid feb I believe, so I’d just play it by ear starting after the all star break

wait what? how do you know when he will be cleared to play? or do you mean this past feb?
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#16 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:50 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Nuggets_Talk wrote:

wait what? how do you know when he will be cleared to play? or do you mean this past feb?

Last feb. so all star break would be about the year mark.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:00 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Nuggets_Talk wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:He got cleared mid feb I believe, so I’d just play it by ear starting after the all star break

did you read anything about recovery time being about a year?
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior

Post#18 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:44 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:
Nuggets_Talk wrote:

did you read anything about recovery time being about a year?

It’s in that article I linked. Not necessarily that the recovery time is a year, but statistically, production and games played goes down for a year after recovery, then goes back to normal. Since he’s so young and we’re not ready to compete yet, I’d just hold him out for that period to get him 100%
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:48 am

definitely be patient. if he gets healthy down the line that would be huge for us.
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Couple of interesting thoughts for the Summer League

1. Like that Malik and Morris look to be the starting backcourt for the league. Beasley needs to let them know where his is plus get to build some chemistry with Morris, like that pairing hope it explodes !!

2. Saw Tyler Lydon is anticipated to play, haven't heard anything on his recovery so this is good news. Was surprised (?) they have him listed at the PF position hopefully he gets to play both F slots. His outside shooting would come in handy while MPJ is recovering plus increase his trade value as a stretch 4.

3. Excited to see SF Kenrich Williams out of TCU, thought he might have been selected in the 2nd this year. I'll predict he gets an invite to TC

Return to Denver Nuggets