Denver final roster decisions/Rotation Predictions

Moderator: THE J0KER

donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Re: Denver final roster decisions/Rotation Predictions 

Post#21 » by donkeylips » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:04 am

didn't even know the nuggets had IT on their radar
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
proscout
Junior
And1: 21

Post#22 » by proscout » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 am

With the IT signing and the salary dump trade, the roster has taken a much more clear shape.... finally, haha!

Murray/IT/Morris
Harris/Beasley
Barton/Craig/Hernangomez/Porter
Millsap/Lyles/Lydon/Vanderbilt
Jokic/Plumlee/Welsh(2-way)

I'm just listing it more as a total depth chart than actual play time and minutes and everything.... but that appears to be the more finalized version after these offseason moves.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,606

Post#23 » by youngthegiant » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:44 am

Well that was a busy Thursday night
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#24 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:07 am

A little pricey to dump one salary, not as bad to dump two, but Denver can afford to not add a 1st next year.

Thomas? Interesting, so does this mean no PG for Barton? Or does he still play like a PG even when on the floor with the starters - Jokic & Murray? Does this keep Morris off the team? (Leaving him as a two-way?)
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#25 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:20 am

THE J0KER wrote:2018-19 minutes, most probably:
Jamal Murray(33)/Morris(10)/Barton(5)
Harris(33)/Beasley(10)/Barton(5)
Will Barton(23)/Juancho(15)/Craig(10)
Paul Millsap(33)/Trey Lyles(15)
Nikola Jokic(33)/Mason Plumlee(15)

24 hours later, a correction :D

(playoff mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Harris(33)/Murray(10)/Barton(5)
Barton(28)/Juancho(10)/Craig(10)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

NOTE: Despite Thomas is formally Murray backup at PG, his playing time will be in reality more connected with Harris and Jokic playing time. Thomas will cover all 15 minutes when Harris is out and all 15 minutes when Jokic is out. As starters and great fit, Gary and Nikola most minutes share on the floor, so they should be both on the bench at the same time for about 10 minutes. IT should be on the floor 10 minutes when Jokic and Harris are on the bench, and 5+5 minutes when one of them is on the bench. The only 5 minutes when IT is on the floor together with Jokic and Harris both are when at the same time Murray and Barton are both on the bench. Murray covers at SG spot 10 out of 15 minutes when Harris is on the bench (IT is PG at the time), and 5 minutes when Murray and Harris are both on the bench (+Joker) IT is PG, Burton is SG, Juancho or Craig is SF, Millsap is PF, Plumlee is C.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#26 » by The Rebel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

NuggetsWY wrote:A little pricey to dump one salary, not as bad to dump two, but Denver can afford to not add a 1st next year.

Thomas? Interesting, so does this mean no PG for Barton? Or does he still play like a PG even when on the floor with the starters - Jokic & Murray? Does this keep Morris off the team? (Leaving him as a two-way?)

Barton dramatically improved his off the ball offense last year, so I think he plays off the ball when on the court with the starters, but when Thomas and Barton are on together with Jokic/Murray on the bench than I think they will split more of the ball handling duties.

I have a feeling that Morris will still get his deal and will be the 3rd PG, but with Thomas's injury history, size, and age I think he will get more minutes than people will realize right now.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#27 » by U hova » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:A little pricey to dump one salary, not as bad to dump two, but Denver can afford to not add a 1st next year.

Well we had 7 PFs last year and we were still thin on depth mid-season so we might still see Barton and Morris at backup point
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,480

Post#28 » by cjx » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 pm

We are on the cusp of Denver's golden age. Now all Denver has to do is swoop in and trade for Kawhi. Your 2019 NBA Champion Denver Nuggets, can't you see it?!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Based on the new roster, here are my projections

Starters
Jokic-Plumlee
Millsap-Lyles
Barton-???
Harris
Murray-Thomas

SF Backup?
Hernangomez or Craig

Minimal minutes
Beasley
Morris

Unlikely to play much
Lydon
Vanderbilt
Porter
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:37 am

So our 15 man roster includes Vanderbilt & Porter and both seem unlikely to play - perhaps.

My prediction is Lydon will see virtually no court time
and Hernangomez & Craig will battle for SF backup minutes.

Meanwhile Beasley will get to sit behind a guard rotation that includes Barton & Thomas as backups and Morris will be stuck in the G-League again.

That leaves our main rotation players as Jokic-Plumlee Millsap-Lyles Barton Harris-Murray

That is not what I believe would be best, just what I believe will happen.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#31 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:54 am

NuggetsWY wrote:So our 15 man roster includes Vanderbilt & Porter and both seem unlikely to play - perhaps.

Meanwhile Beasley will get to sit behind a guard rotation that includes Barton & Thomas as backups and Morris will be stuck in the G-League again.

That leaves our main rotation players as Jokic-Plumlee Millsap-Lyles Barton Harris-Murray

What would your BEST rotation be ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:So our 15 man roster includes Vanderbilt & Porter and both seem unlikely to play - perhaps.

My preference would be aimed at making the playoffs this season and developing our young talent for the future (or figuring out which ones won't be part of our future).

Jokic - with Plumlee playing backup center only
Millsap at 25-28 mpg with Lyles getting 20+ mpg
Hernangomez at 24 mpg with Craig getting 24 mpg
Harris at 32 mpg with Beasley getting 16 mpg
Murray at 32 mpg with Barton and Thomas splitting 16 mpg

There are usually injuries.

If there is a center injury, use Welsh's 45 days.
If there is a PF injury, slide Hernangomez to PF and give Lydon a few minutes.
If there is a SF injury, use Barton to fill in.
If there is a SG injury, use Barton to fill in.

Play Porter if he is ready - giving him minutes from Hernangomez and/or Craig depending on which is playing better. (Vanderbilt will have to wait for next year, at least.)

If Lyles struggles, slide Hernangomez and/or Lydon in for some minutes.
If Hernangomez and/or Craig struggle, slide Barton in.

I hate leaving Morris in the G-League, but everyone else is on an NBA contract except for Welsh.
skywalker33

Post#33 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

My preference would be aimed at making the playoffs this season and developing our young talent for the future (or figuring out which ones won't be part of our future).

Play Porter if he is ready - giving him minutes from Hernangomez and/or Craig depending on which is playing better. (Vanderbilt will have to wait for next year, at least.)

I hate leaving Morris in the G-League, but everyone else is on an NBA contract except for Welsh.

Personally, I believe they've promised Barton he'll get to start at SF (for the meantime). I still don't get the love for Juancho until he proves it, his one game where he went off against the Warriors just doesn't have me buying in yet. Also, he hasn't shown me any commitment to this team, especially this offseason, where's he been ?? Maybe he'll show me something in training camp but until then he's on my bench.

skywalker33

Post#34 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Since you put out yours, here’s what I think they should do

Jokic (34) Plumlee (14)
Milsap (25) Lyles (23)
Barton (22) Juancho (16) Craig (10)
Harris (32) Beasley (10) Murray (6)
Murray (28) Thomas (20)

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#35 » by MidMountain » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Jokic (32) Plumlee (16)
Milsap (30) Lyles (18)
Barton (20) Juancho (14) Craig (14)
Harris (32) Barton (10) Murray (6)
Murray (26) Thomas (22)
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Personally, I believe they've promised Barton he'll get to start at SF (for the meantime). I still don't get the love for Juancho until he proves it, his one game where he went off against the Warriors just doesn't have me buying in yet. Also, he hasn't shown me any commitment to this team, especially this offseason, where's he been ?? Maybe he'll show me something in training camp but until then he's on my bench.

No doubt they promised Barton he'll get to start at SF (for the meantime) - doesn't mean I like it, but we can probably survive that as long as Malone doesn't let him have too much ball control time. He is a good one-on-one player but he should save that for when Jokic is off the floor.

Hernangomez has averaged 13 mpg in two years (mostly year 1) and most of that was garbage minutes. I'd like to see what he can actually do if he gets a consistent 15-20 mpg - otherwise we should let him go. I don't mind him missing Summer League, although I'd have rather seen him here. He'll actually get more PT in Europe than he would have gotten in Summer League and the few Summer League Nuggets that will make the team will probably not play much, so it isn't like he missed opportunity to play with his team.

Beasley has averaged less than 10 mpg in two years and most of that was garbage minutes. I'd like to see what he can actually do if he gets a consistent 15-20 mpg - otherwise we should let him go.

What we should have done was given them a little more PT during the last two years when we were somewhat fighting for playoffs (at least in some games) and then if we didn't like them, we could have traded them. Not playing them can leave them doubting themselves and second guessing themselves wondering when the coach will yank them if they make a mistake and if they'll ever get another chance. There was some evidence of Murray struggling initially and there were games where Malone yanked him very quickly. Sometimes people learn from playing through mistakes. Malone seems to have a low tolerance for mistakes from anyone - it seems that is why he tries to call all the plays; it's maintaining control.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:34 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Since you put out yours, here’s what I think they should do

Jokic (34) Plumlee (14)
Milsap (25) Lyles (23)
Murray (28) Thomas (20)

That's probably closer to what will happen than what I said I'd prefer and I think I could live with this lineup. (But I would like to give Beasley a few more minutes, I just don't know where they'd come from.)
MidMountain wrote:Jokic (32) Plumlee (16)
Milsap (30) Lyles (18)
Murray (26) Thomas (22)

I'd hate to see Beasley cut out - we might as well have traded him. But this seems like something Malone just might do. It's another lineup that just might work IMO.
skywalker33

Post#38 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Since you put out yours, here’s what I think they should do

Jokic (34) Plumlee (14)
Milsap (25) Lyles (23)
Murray (28) Thomas (20)

That's probably closer to what will happen than what I said I'd prefer and I think I could live with this lineup. (But I would like to give Beasley a few more minutes, I just don't know where they'd come from.)
MidMountain wrote:Jokic (32) Plumlee (16)
Milsap (30) Lyles (18)
Murray (26) Thomas (22)

I'd hate to see Beasley cut out - we might as well have traded him. But this seems like something Malone just might do. It's another lineup that just might work IMO.

Resigning Barton may have realistically initiated Beasley getting traded. Can't say I was a fan of the signing but it does create chemistry. I do hope Beasley at least gets a chance to rebuild his on court value

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by The Rebel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 am

I think the rotation is going to be
Murray (22 MPG)/ Thomas (26 MPG)
Harris (32)/ Murray (8)/ Craig (8)
Barton (33)/ Juancho (15 MPG)
Millsap (32)/ Plumlee (5)/ Lyles (11)
Jokic (33)/ Plumlee (15)
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by The Rebel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:42 am

skywalker33 wrote:

I agree that Barton will be starting at SF.

The reason I am still high on juancho is his rookie year. It was not just the game against the Warriors, if you think back and look at his game log you realize that he forced himself into the rotation by the end of the year. That was with both Chandler and Gallo getting minutes at SF and Gallo/Chandler/ Faried/ Plumlee all spliting minutes at PF. That and his 41% shooting and positive defense from a rookie is impressive.

I do wonder if you would hold this animosity to Juancho if he had broke his leg? I mean it takes at least 2 months to come back from either one, and if you screw up trying to come back to early you are missing more time with both. Juancho had mono and came back too early and had a relapse and had to start totally over. I don't know how much you know about mono, but it will exhaust you for 6 straight weeks. You struggle to even cook your own dinner or take a shower. Juancho was like that for 12 weeks. His muscle mass and strength took a big hit, and his body has to recover. he looked extremely weak when he came back last year, maybe just maybe the front office and coaching staff felt it was better for him to take this time and work on his strength and conditioning knowing that not fully recovered he played several international games?

Return to Denver Nuggets