Denver final roster decisions/Rotation Predictions

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Re: Denver final roster decisions/Rotation Predictions 

Post#61 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Baller1234a wrote:What type of players though? Rim protectors (Adams) , Floor Spacers etc.

Would a player like Steven Adams or Gobert work?

I don't like the idea of Jokic being merged with another center and playing a role as starting PF. It doesn't work with Nurkic, nor with Plumlee, because as point-center he is much more effective than in point-forward role. Twin tower scenario would work in Jokic case only if that other guy can play PF (A.Davis or K.Porzingis or younger Nowitzki). So he needs another PF not center, where two skills are especially welcomed, elite shooting and/or elite defense.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#62 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
In a perfect world - Kevin Durant

What type of players though? Rim protectors (Adams) , Floor Spacers etc.

A younger Millsap is perfect, Gobert has the exact same issue as Jokic on defense in that he cannot stop pick and rolls on defense alone, and Adams would be okay except he would struggle to chase stretch 4s on the defensive end.

The best players around Jokic on offense are players that can move and cut and drive and shoot at least long 2s - on defense they need to be what everyone else wants; long and mobile, able to switch with at least one shot-blocker included.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#63 » by Baller1234a » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:10 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:What type of players though? Rim protectors (Adams) , Floor Spacers etc.

A younger Millsap is perfect, Gobert has the exact same issue as Jokic on defense in that he cannot stop pick and rolls on defense alone, and Adams would be okay except he would struggle to chase stretch 4s on the defensive end.

The best players around Jokic on offense are players that can move and cut and drive and shoot at least long 2s - on defense they need to be what everyone else wants; long and mobile, able to switch with at least one shot-blocker included.

Hmm. Favors seems perfect imo especially considering price to acquire. Good rim protector can shoot long 2 even started halting 3s a bit.
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:10 am

Baller1234a wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:A younger Millsap is perfect, Gobert has the exact same issue as Jokic on defense in that he cannot stop pick and rolls on defense alone, and Adams would be okay except he would struggle to chase stretch 4s on the defensive end.

Hmm. Favors seems perfect imo especially considering price to acquire. Good rim protector can shoot long 2 even started halting 3s a bit.

Not a bad fit and I like him but Denver won't spend that kind of money. The only players that make over $10m for the Nuggets are Millsap at $30, Harris at $16m (not available), and Plumlee at $13m. With Favors at $17m, it'd be hard to work a trade.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#65 » by Baller1234a » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:The best players around Jokic on offense are players that can move and cut and drive and shoot at least long 2s - on defense they need to be what everyone else wants; long and mobile, able to switch with at least one shot-blocker included.

Not a bad fit and I like him but Denver won't spend that kind of money. The only players that make over $10m for the Nuggets are Millsap at $30, Harris at $16m (not available), and Plumlee at $13m. With Favors at $17m, it'd be hard to work a trade.

Doesn’t Barton?
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 am

Baller1234a wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:Hmm. Favors seems perfect imo especially considering price to acquire. Good rim protector can shoot long 2 even started halting 3s a bit.

Doesn’t Barton?

Can't be traded until Dec 15th
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#67 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Not a bad fit and I like him but Denver won't spend that kind of money. The only players that make over $10m for the Nuggets are Millsap at $30, Harris at $16m (not available), and Plumlee at $13m. With Favors at $17m, it'd be hard to work a trade.

Doesn’t Barton?

Can't be traded until Dec 15th

Neither can Favors.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#68 » by The Rebel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Baller1234a wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:A younger Millsap is perfect, Gobert has the exact same issue as Jokic on defense in that he cannot stop pick and rolls on defense alone, and Adams would be okay except he would struggle to chase stretch 4s on the defensive end.

I have long wanted Favors and even a year ago posted on this board that I would rather get him than Millsap, but with him signing a 2 year deal the only way to get him is to trade for him and I do not see the front office doing anything like that for at least a year.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#69 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:30 pm

(11-men rotation playoff mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Harris(33)/Murray(10)/Barton(5)
Barton(28)/Juancho(10)/Craig(10)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

If some of the bench players improve over expectations here is rotations adjusted to him:
Spoiler:
(IT mode)
Murray(18)/Thomas(30)
Harris(33)/Murray(15)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

(Morris or Beasley mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(20)/Morris(5)
Harris(33)/Murray(10)/Morris(5)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

(Juancho or Craig mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Barton(28)/Juancho(20)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

(Lyles mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Millsap(23)/Lyles(25)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(10)/Millsap(5)
skywalker33

Post#70 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 pm

THE J0KER wrote:(11-men rotation playoff mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

If some of the bench players improve over expectations here is rotations adjusted to him:
Spoiler:
(IT mode)
Murray(18)/Thomas(30)
Harris(33)/Murray(15)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

(Morris or Beasley mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(20)/Morris(5)
Harris(33)/Murray(10)/Morris(5)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

(Juancho or Craig mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Barton(28)/Juancho(20)
Millsap(30)/Lyles(18)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(15)

(Lyles mode)
Murray(23)/Thomas(25)
Millsap(23)/Lyles(25)
Jokic(33)/Plumlee(10)/Millsap(5)

FYI, that's 10 guys but I agree that's a good rotation, should get it down to 8 or 9 by playoffs, Juancho or Craig looks to be odd man/men out. Our two rookies could be wildcards given some health clearances and luck

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#71 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:50 pm

skywalker33 wrote:FYI, that's 10 guys but I agree that's a good rotation, should get it down to 8 or 9 by playoffs, Juancho or Craig looks to be odd man/men out. Our two rookies could be wildcards given some health clearances and luck

Yes, for playoff purposes it is basically 9-man rotation because of better between two SF backups players (Juancho or Craig) will probably get all 20 minutes.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:32 am

Most playoff teams, in the modern NBA seem to use 11-12 players during the season and get players rest plus some days off if they have even minor nagging injuries. They tighten the rotation for the playoffs for sure - because of the level of competition and because they have more rest days.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:03 am

Clearly Barton wants to start (but then again, most players do); however, can you imagine Thomas & Barton as the core bench players? They are probably our two best ISO players. They'd do fine when Jokic is on the bench. (Not saying they can't play with Jokic. They could both do well with Jokic if the coach doesn't call all the plays for them.)
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#74 » by TunaFish » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:04 am

Projected starting lineups being mentioned look about right to me. Training camp will be real interesting. I still like Barton better coming off the bench but admit that is not likely now with Chandler gone. Thomas is probably the key sixth man.

When it comes to the bench, one factor that I picked up on at the end of the season was how Jokic was used. He was playing a lot of minutes yet was the first substitution out. That allowed him some time with the bench.

So, if Jokic is out early and Thomas comes in, we could have 2 point guards, two shooting guards and Millsap at Center. Just kidding, I think.
Canned in Denver.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#75 » by Mac1958 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 am

A tough, rim-protecting, back to the basket, shut-down-defensive-minded PF would be the perfect fit with Jokic.

The team doesn't need another dynamic offensive player, it needs to make the other team work when it has the ball.

Finding and getting one is another matter.
skywalker33

Post#76 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Mac1958 wrote:A tough, rim-protecting, back to the basket, shut-down-defensive-minded PF would be the perfect fit with Jokic.

The team doesn't need another dynamic offensive player, it needs to make the other team work when it has the ball.

Isn't that what Millsap is expected to be ?? He is signed for two more years..

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Seriously doubt we'll be adding anyone else this year. I'm not convinced we've got our long-term solution at forward but hopefully we can learn a little about some of them this year. Lyles seems versatile but limited, just might be a great bench player or maybe 5th starter. Hernangomez & Lydon need to show they can do more than shoot, but at least one of them would be nice coming off the bench. Cancar looks like he could be a good bench player too. Porter & Vanderbilt might be our best long-term potentials, but at this point, who knows.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#78 » by The Rebel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:58 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Seriously doubt we'll be adding anyone else this year. I'm not convinced we've got our long-term solution at forward but hopefully we can learn a little about some of them this year. Lyles seems versatile but limited, just might be a great bench player or maybe 5th starter. Hernangomez & Lydon need to show they can do more than shoot, but at least one of them would be nice coming off the bench. Cancar looks like he could be a good bench player too. Porter & Vanderbilt might be our best long-term potentials, but at this point, who knows.

If we don't have the long term answer at both forward spots after drafting or trading for 6 young forwards than the front office has lost their touch with drafting and should be fired.

Also we really do not need Juancho or Lydon to do much more on offense than shoot and move without the ball.

If Porter is a starter than our 5th starter needs to play off the ball and shoot well, that can be either of those 2.

If Morris continues on his current path than he is a ball dominate PG and will be the backup, need shooters on the court with him as well. Especially if Vanderbilt ends up being a guy like Faried with good defense, we are going to need a shooter to pair with him.

If Porter does not work out, than Lyles can create enough for himself to have him as the 3rd scorer we just need his defense to improve.

This is the year they need to figure out who the long term fits are and move on from some of the rest.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#79 » by Mac1958 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Mac1958 wrote:A tough, rim-protecting, back to the basket, shut-down-defensive-minded PF would be the perfect fit with Jokic.

Isn't that what Millsap is expected to be ?? He is signed for two more years..

I actually think he's close, but I don't think of him as a rim-protector.

Plus, I love the guy, but he's on the down side of his career.
skywalker33

Post#80 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 pm

The Rebel wrote:This is the year they need to figure out who the long term fits are and move on from some of the rest.

I think this is the biggest thing the FO has to do this year !!!

Return to Denver Nuggets