ImageImageImage

Nuggets extend Malone

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Nuggets extend Malone 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Per Shams, the Nuggets have reached a contract extension with coach Mike Malone. Seems like a typical Nuggets move !! :banghead:
Oh the irony if we don't make the playoffs again this year :x

Wonder how many Nuggets fans will be driving toward the cliffs today ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Re: Nuggets extend Malone 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Good news is he’s in a division with thibs and Donovan.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Darklight
Junior
And1: 491

Post#3 » by Darklight » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm

I am soooo pissed by this, just gonna copy paste what i said in GB.

Are you **** kidding me, you serious!!!!!!!!!!??????? I have been waiting to make a thread that he is the worst coach in the NBA by far and it isn't even close, this mans incompentence knows no bounds!!! I am so pissed of words can't truly describe how mad I am!
Conlley and malone both needs to get fired ASAP!

Conlley to his credit has drafted very well but it ends there! He takes L at every trade, that plumlee signing is unforgivable and a diaster to think he gave up a FR and sign him to that albatross contract to later save face but if you are gonna do that atleast get a cheap contract or let him go and cut your losses ffs! He is satisfed by mediocrity. How can you keep a coach who is the reason this team is underperforming and missing the PO by one game 2 seasons in a row and not fire him? It's all becuase malone is clueless, has no defensive scheme and is **** with lineups for half a year and using Jokic wrong all the time and reapting the same mistakes at playing him at power forward and not playing through him..

The nuggets coaching job has to be one of the most lucrative out their considering the talent on this team is insane now and yet they are satisfied to have this bum ruin this teams future!!!? I have said several times they should have hired either messina or kokoskov they would have been perfect for this team, how can garbage teams like suns,knicks, bucks fire their coaches but nuggets being ok with malone? It makes zero sense. He has one year on his contract and yet you are extending him before this season has finished, what kinda logic is that? Conlley has no foresight which he proved with that plumlee deal and same with this, if this season is a diaster are you gonna fire him for missing the PO for a third season in a row when you just extended him or when he underperforms in the PO with this team? I am baffled, it boggles the mind and makes zero sense. I hate this **** team for it's incompentence and I can't root for them even when I want becuase of malone and our talent will constantly be underated and slept on becuase of this (Please Use More Appropriate Word)!

People say they resemblance with the GSW with this team and I agree to an extent malone is this teams mark jackson deluxe and will never reach even half it's potential with him as the coach, we need to find our steve kerr and fast.
Darklight
Junior

Post#4 » by Darklight » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Per Shams, the Nuggets have reached a contract extension with coach Mike Malone. Seems like a typical Nuggets move !! :banghead:
Oh the irony if we don't make the playoffs again this year :x

Wonder how many Nuggets fans will be driving toward the cliffs today ??

Skywalker, I feel like driving towards a cliff right now this instant nobody is more devasted by this news then me and you guys know that. I feel like jumping through a wall :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I am in ruins ffs this has ruined my entire weekend now and probably several coming ones aswell :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :nonono: :evil: :evil: :x :x
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#5 » by nomansland » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 pm

This undoes their supposed policy of not extending coaches and FO personnel until their contracts are up. The same policy that cost us Masai and Karl, and introduced the Shawful era.

I guess it's good that they learned from their mistakes. I happen to like Malone.
Darklight
Junior

Post#6 » by Darklight » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

nomansland wrote:This undoes their supposed policy of not extending coaches and FO personnel until their contracts are up. The same policy that cost us Masai and Karl, and introduced the Shawful era.

I guess it's good that they learned from their mistakes. I happen to like Malone.

Some never learn, go ahead nuggetsWY, rebel enlighten these peebs please but then again maybe that is a lost cause idk :lol: atleast you guys are on the same page as I and know what I am talking about shout out to you guys it's been a while was gonna post today but then I saw these awful news and it all went black ffs after that offseason we had man OT but loved our draft but I will post about my thoughts in the right thread and maybe create a new one for JV and MPJ those guys are our future as long as the are healty :nod:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#7 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Michael Malone is not the worst coach in the league for sure, but I still doubt he is even TOP10 on the West (out of 15) which is really sad, considering that we already have maybe TOP5 NBA team by raw talent. I can see Denver lead by Malone this season finally reaching playoff or even TOP5 seed. But also, I can image in near future several of his colleagues outsmarting him in playoff series with a worse team.

His only advantage is the fact that Jokic, Murray, and Harris grows together with him, and never worked with any other coach on NBA level. But for pro athletes, it shouldn't be a problem when a better coach comes. Let's hope he will also improving together with this team because his current coaching skills are far away from what you expecting of head coach of the future ring contender.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#8 » by nomansland » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Darklight wrote:
nomansland wrote:This undoes their supposed policy of not extending coaches and FO personnel until their contracts are up. The same policy that cost us Masai and Karl, and introduced the Shawful era.

Some never learn, go ahead nuggetsWY, rebel enlighten these peebs please but then again maybe that is a lost cause idk :lol: atleast you guys are on the same page as I and know what I am talking about shout out to you guys it's been a while was gonna post today but then I saw these awful news and it all went black ffs after that offseason we had man OT but loved our draft but I will post about my thoughts in the right thread and maybe create a new one for JV and MPJ those guys are our future as long as the are healty :nod:

Like players, coaches can grow and improve. Malone has made his share of mistakes (like every other coach), especially his first 1.5 years, but he also has grown a lot.

The owners have invested in that growth and basically paid for all of that experience. About the dumbest thing they could do at this juncture is throw that away without a really good reason. I don't see any really good reasons on the table. But there is a good reason *not* to ruin the continuity that's been created and continues to evolve.

But hey you amateurs can chirp away all day at how he failed to call that timeout that one time or how he experimented with the Jurkic lineup. The fact is the players like him, the organization likes him, there are a lot of winning seasons on the horizon, and the Nuggets are going to the playoffs this year. So hold onto your butts.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Clearly I think this is a foolish move. Malone has not demonstrated any game management ability in my opinion. Nuggets frequently start games slowly and/or start 3rd quarters slowly. That's a preparation issue and/or a motivation issue. Nuggets do not typically do well in end-game situations, another coaching issue.

Malone seems to have trouble keeping assistant coaches. He also appears unable to find a solid defensive coach. Perhaps he's a control freak, I don't know. But while he arrived with "defensive coach" in his title, his record in Sacramento & Denver demonstrates his teams are consistently bottom-5 defensively (at best, bottom-10). Malone has not been able to motivate the Nuggets into playing good ball against teams that are clearly inferior.

Malone prefers to call plays instead of allowing Jokic to do his magic. All of this can be seen over the last three years.

On the positive side, Malone does great sound-bytes. He appears to be popular with the players.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#10 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 am

That's what happens when your record improves. More wins and you get to keep your job.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#11 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Darklight wrote:

I don't know why you brought my name up, I have clearly said that I think Malone has done a good job with developing the young players. I also think he has some big issues, and still think if he doesn't improve on some of that this will be his final year.

That being said I am actually glad that they extended Malone and that it was only 2 years. Lame duck NBA coaches have a bigger issue than any sport due to the players holding so much power already. You cannot expect a guy to control a lockerroom and develop young guys when he is worried whether he will even be here next year. Our team is one of the youngest in the league, even if you think Malone is bad enough with rotations and in game to fire, you want him putting everything he has into developing the young guys, which he has shown good ability in doing.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#12 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm

TunaFish wrote:That's what happens when your record improves. More wins and you get to keep your job.

I personally think that is a terrible way to look at things when you consider the young talent on the team we should be winning more than when McGee was our injured starting Center and Mudiay was our PG.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#13 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:13 pm

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:That's what happens when your record improves. More wins and you get to keep your job.

I personally think that is a terrible way to look at things when you consider the young talent on the team we should be winning more than when McGee was our injured starting Center and Mudiay was our PG.

If your point is that we wish the Nuggets had won more than they have, I have to agree. But coaches have to play with the hand they are dealt. McGee didn't play for Malone and Malone started Mudiay right away to see what they had. We would have been up in arms if he had not at least tried to play Mudiay. Despite Mudiay's lack of shooting and turnover problems, it was the drafting of Murray that sealed his fate in Denver.

I think the loss of Millsap and injury to GHarris was a factor last season. Despite that, the Nuggets improved. Jokic, GHarris, Lyles and Murray have all improved each season. Malone deserves some credit and this comes from a Malone critic.

There is no better measure of success than your record and any speculation about what might have been is just that.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:46 am

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

If your point is that we wish the Nuggets had won more than they have, I have to agree. But coaches have to play with the hand they are dealt. McGee didn't play for Malone and Malone started Mudiay right away to see what they had. We would have been up in arms if he had not at least tried to play Mudiay. Despite Mudiay's lack of shooting and turnover problems, it was the drafting of Murray that sealed his fate in Denver.

I think the loss of Millsap and injury to GHarris was a factor last season. Despite that, the Nuggets improved. Jokic, GHarris, Lyles and Murray have all improved each season. Malone deserves some credit and this comes from a Malone critic.

There is no better measure of success than your record and any speculation about what might have been is just that.

Then again, Mudiay & Murray were drafted in the exact same position and Malone didn't seem to want to play Murray even while he was using a less than effective Mudiay. :wink:
skywalker33

Post#15 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:11 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Then again, Mudiay & Murray were drafted in the exact same position and Malone didn't seem to want to play Murray even while he was using a less than effective Mudiay. :wink:

Regardless of the draft position, the talent level of each draft is clearly different. And Malone played Murray over 20mins in 43 games over 10min in over 68 games that season. And in that season, at the PG position there was only Mudiay and 34yo Jameer Nelson and If I recall you seemed to be overheated when Nelson got more time than Mudiay that season.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#16 » by TunaFish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:29 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

At the start of the 2016 season, Mudiay had started 66 games averaging 12.8 points and 5.5 assists per game in the previous season. Garry Harris had just completed his first starting season averaging 12.3 ppg. From that view, the starters seemed set and there was some discussion about why the Nuggets had drafted Murray. It appeared at that time (and even some would argue today) that Murray was a shooting guard. Murray didn't look ready right away and bringing him off the bench seemed correct. That and the fact that he missed nearly every shot he attempted in the first week of the season.

It seemed obvious at the time he was drafted that Murray was brought in to replace Garry Harris. Then GHarris blew up and Mudiay regressed, badly. And for whatever strange reason, continues to regress. Murray proved he was a point guard and the rest is history.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Murray, Mudiay, Harris, and Porter jr are good examples of draft golden rule: TAKE BEST PLAYER REST, NOT WHAT YOU "NEED". Unfortunately, Mudiay was not that good as he is projected to be on draft day, which is TOP5 talent in the class, still available at #7 (the same about Murray), while Harris was consensual TOP15 pick still available at #19, not remind you about latest Porter case, and his projections.

The same winning logic use Utah when surprisingly get our #13 pick, and take Donovan Mitchell. We give credit Malone for not gave up from Murray despite he has zero FGM in opening 4 games!? Did any team ever gave up from TOP7 pick after just 4 games? Our most famous wasted high pick, that The Skita guy, #5 pick from 2002 draft take starting job in last 25 games of his rookie season despite less than 4ppg numbers (Murray get starting job at the end of his notable rookie year, when less than 10 games left). Donovan Mitchell also have awful start as the #13 pick, in 3 out of 5 first games he has the same 1/7 shooting numbers, and despite 13/52 fg%25% pathetic career start he gets starting job already after about 10 games for Jazz. Murray is supertalented and skilled combo guard destined for success on one way or another, as PG or SG, under any coach in the league. And he is youngest in his rookie class, even younger than most rookies from the next 2017 class (including Mitchell).

If we want to give some objective excuses to Malone for not taking playoff two years in the row, I would say it is not his fault that out of all teams interesting in Nurkic we decided to imrove our direct 2017 playoff rival Portland, and that we didn't finalize trade deal last season with Tyreke Evans before trade deadline. It was all FO faults.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#18 » by TunaFish » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 am

Joker, I sure wish you hadn't reminded me about that "Skita" guy.
Canned in Denver.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#19 » by Lala870 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:45 am

this is what you call a "safe" decision.

Malone isn't becoming the next phil jackson anytime soon but I don't know of many other prospects I think the nuggets should go after at the moment
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:08 pm

With the start of the season we're having, the team appears to be buying into Malone's defensive schemes....do you feel the same way ???

Although I can't say I was against the signing, seeing Malone getting a bit better as a coach make me feel a bit more confident about keeping him. I still am not sure he can take us to the Championship, I do feel like he's reached the team and shown them they're a better team than they've shown so far. His X's and O's still bother me but when we built a strong enough lead and let the 2nd unit bring it home, that is something that showed some growth in Malone, building trust in his team.

Return to Denver Nuggets