Around the NBA (2018-19 season)

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Around the NBA (2018-19 season) 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 pm

We need a thread like this, especially for days when Denver not playing. Place where we can talk about MVP candidates, rookies, trades in which Denver is not involved, Eastern Conference teams, previous day highlights... etc...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: Around the NBA (2018-19 season) 

Post#2 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:32 am

I've seen every Kings game so far. Usual is about 5-10 of their games each year. I'm enjoying watching their team. They have a lot of young talent and while I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year, but for the first time in too many years, I see a hope in their future.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:25 am

Yeah, just month ago Kings are mocked as the "Euroleague level" team without single NBA TOP100 player, which just wasted their #2 pick this summer (and #5 from previous draft too), and complete picture of their FO incompetence was attempt to overpaid FA Zach LaVine, and silly episode with signing Nemanja Bjelica, a player which already gave up from NBA, despite they already have several PF players (including this year #2 pick).

But just a month later Bagley don't look so badly used 2nd pick, D.Fox improved so much and from one of biggest disappointments of last season rookie class so far this season is 2nd best player of last summer TOP10 picks, Buddy Hield and W.C.Stain are also TOP100 players or close, and FO grades for acquisition of Bjelica and attempt to get LaVine looks way different from today perspective. Also, from today's point of view their most famous move, to not supermax DM.Cousins seems strategically rightful decision more than ever.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm

MOST POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS so far:
- Sacramento, Detroit, Memphis, LA Clippers, Pelicans
- All 5 TOP5 draft picks performing well
- Kemba, DeRozan, Griffin, Vucevic, Mirotic, LaVine, Bjelica, Fox, LeVert, Sabonis, Zach Collins, Harrel
- Offense overall

MOST NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS so far:
- Houston, Oklahoma, Lakers, Washington
- Towns, Westbrook, Irving, Hayward, Otto Porter
- Defense overall

NOT SURPRISED AT ALL:
- Denver, Milwaukee, Toronto, +Cleveland
- Davis, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert, Kawhi, Butler, LBJ, KD&Curry, +Anthony
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:40 am

Interesting, we gave up our 1st this year but that WAS 2nd isn't too far off of where our pick currently stands. Granted it's still early but wouldn't it be nice if that WAS pick was in the early 30's ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,785

Post#6 » by TunaFish » Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:33 am

skywalker33 wrote:Interesting, we gave up our 1st this year but that WAS 2nd isn't too far off of where our pick currently stands. Granted it's still early but wouldn't it be nice if that WAS pick was in the early 30's ??

Although its too early to write off the Wizards, you have to wonder if Wall's contract is having an effect on their roster. Everyone can see the writing on the wall with that monster deal.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:36 pm

Just finished watching Derrick Rose's 50 pt game. What was amazing is that he wasn't just looking to score at any point in the game. He was passing the ball off throughout all four quarters. The Twolves announcers barely mentioned his great game until less than three minutes to go in the third quarter and even in the fourth quarter, they were just tracking his personal best and then sorta' backed off after he set a new personal best. He scored seven points in the last 90 seconds - mostly because of FTs.

It was the most unspectacular 50 pt game I've ever seen. He just played within the offense. He only took seven 3pt shots and made four of them. He had a lot of drives to the basket and did take thirty-one FGs plus eleven FTs. IMO, this was about as perfect a team oriented player scoring 50!
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:11 am

Seems like another good day for us as we beat the division rival Jazz and looks like Blazers will be be the Lakers. Need to continue building our lead !!

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#9 » by THE J0KER » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:33 am

In games like NOP-SAS or LAL-POR, someone must win anyway. The real benefit we have last night when underdog Memphis beat Utah in Salt Lake City (2nd time this season).
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 3:34 am

THE J0KER wrote:In games like NOP-SAS or LAL-POR, someone must win anyway. The real benefit we have last night when underdog Memphis beat Utah in Salt Lake City (2nd time this season).

Doesn't that mean that MEM has just displaced UTH as a threat to us ??

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#11 » by THE J0KER » Mon Nov 5, 2018 6:17 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:In games like NOP-SAS or LAL-POR, someone must win anyway. The real benefit we have last night when underdog Memphis beat Utah in Salt Lake City (2nd time this season).

Doesn't that mean that MEM has just displaced UTH as a threat to us ??

Of course, not, the season just started. Last season even at Christmas time Utah seems like a lottery team, but they have a great finish. I just saying that defeats of our playoff rivals from the West have bigger value when they lose vs East teams or West underdogs than loses vs other West PO contenders where always one must win and one to lose. For example, today Orlando beat San Antonio and Toronto beat Lakers, and that is arguably very good news for the Nuggets. One of tomorrow's games is NOP @OKC and from Denver perspective no big difference who will win or lose that game.
skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:59 am

We'll find out just where MEM stacks up next game, they've always played us tough and they're having a decent year....so far :wink:

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:06 am

skywalker33 wrote:We'll find out just where MEM stacks up next game, they've always played us tough and they're having a decent year....so far :wink:
Sitting in a motel room tonight, in Denver. And I can't even see a Nuggets game. That's terrible.

Watched the Sixers Pacers game, and enjoyed watching Covington. He is my favorite SF in the league. Defense is very good. Three-point shooting is great. Great team player. No ego issues.

Sent from my moto g(6) using RealGM mobile app
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Minnesota seems to have gotten some decent return for Butler. No way Butler isn't a much better player and of greater value, but if they were going to lose him, why not get something in return?

Covington - I'm already on record as loving his game. Saric also has a very nice game. They can both play either forward slot, depending on team play and opposing players. But they are good or better as 3rd or 4th option with no comment on which might be which. More important, they seem to fit nicely alongside Towns.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 pm

In the past couple of days, two potentially tectonic changes happened in NBA. Sixers become just a 2nd team with 3 all-star level players, and Durant maybe already decided to not stay next summer in GSW after the ugly verbal incident he has in the locker room with teammate Draymond Green.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:15 pm

THE J0KER wrote:In the past couple of days, two potentially tectonic changes happened in NBA. Sixers become just a 2nd team with 3 all-star level players, and Durant maybe already decided to not stay next summer in GSW after the ugly verbal incident he has in the locker room with teammate Draymond Green.

I'll wait on proclaiming the Sixers elite. They have a couple of young players that need to learn how to shoot better or their spacing will be a serious issue - especially in the playoffs where teams have serious time to prepare.

I'm not going to hold my breath on the Green-Durrant issue. Green is what Green is and everyone knows it. They'll put up with him since mostly he's all about the team and the wins. I suspect dribbling into four defenders without passing would have been the issue if they hadn't had the argument. No doubt Kerr, Curry, Thompson would have all called him on that - just as Durrant appeared to do. Durrant's a perfect fit in Golden State - so why leave? Money? He can get that from advertisements.

A recent rumor of Durrant and Butler signing with the Lakers next year makes no sense. Sure, it could happen, but Durrant is not likely to be one of those players. Yes, he'd work and make them better but the Lakers already have LeBron, Ball, Ingrams (maybe Rondo) and that's a lot of ball-handlers.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:... Durrant's a perfect fit in Golden State - so why leave? Money? He can get that from advertisements...

Don't forget there is no any playoff team where such HoF forward which playing equally good at SF and PF both would not be almost perfect fit. Just imagine for a moment if KD somehow joins Denver, I would proclaim Nuggets instantly ring favorites!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:... Durrant's a perfect fit in Golden State - so why leave? Money? He can get that from advertisements...

Don't forget there is no any playoff team where such HoF forward which playing equally good at SF and PF both would not be almost perfect fit. Just imagine for a moment if KD somehow joins Denver, I would proclaim Nuggets instantly ring favorites!

Yeah, I've thought about that for a couple of years now. One serious superstar makes us ring contenders for sure and probably ring favorites. I would think most superstars would love playing with Jokic, Harris, Murray - not to mention the young, quality depth we have.
skywalker33

Post#19 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:39 pm

THE J0KER wrote:

Obviously depends on what the Nuggets would have to give up to get him. As has been pointed out to me before, it's not like we'll be able to sign him next season in Free Agency w/o trading away assets (again)

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#20 » by THE J0KER » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:35 pm

THE J0KER wrote:MOST POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS so far:
- Sacramento, Detroit, Memphis, LA Clippers, Pelicans
- Kemba, DeRozan, Griffin, Vucevic, Mirotic, LaVine, Bjelica, Fox, LeVert, Sabonis, Zach Collins, Harrel
- Offense overall

MOST NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS so far:
- Houston, Oklahoma, Lakers, Washington
- Towns, Westbrook, Irving, Hayward, Otto Porter
- Defense overall

NOT SURPRISED AT ALL:
- Denver, Milwaukee, Toronto, +Cleveland
- Davis, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert, Kawhi, Butler, LBJ, KD&Curry, +Anthony

THREE WEEKS LATER:

MOST POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS so far:
- Memphis, LA Clippers, Sacramento, Orlando