Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Re: Around the NBA (2018-19 season) 

Post#101 » by THE J0KER » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Last day of the regular season, so here is some my general impressions:

MOST POSITIVE (EAST): Bucks#1, Pacers without Oladipo, Brooklyn, and Orlando into the playoff. Philadelphia which creates super starting lineups and Toronto with NBA 2nd best record despite Leonard boycotted b2b matches should also be excited about an upcoming playoff.

MOST POSITIVE (WEST): Nuggets #2 and Portland #3 if today both win. Clippers into playoff and Sacramento as #9 are against all odds.

Despite showed great potential and talent at the moments, overall W-L record must be a big disappointment for Boston, Houston, and Oklahoma. But by far biggest disappointment is LeBron Lakers, which not even reached the playoff.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#102 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Noting the headline "Magic steps down as LAL exec" ...more like "Magic jumps out of LAL dumpster fire"
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#103 » by THE J0KER » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 am

Unfortunately, I was so right when I criticize our FO for being so happy with how our regular season goes that they don't even try to improve our roster (SF spot particularly), or at least to get rid of Barton toxic contract before MPJ debut next season makes the negative value of him. With a deep team, the best way to improve for the upcoming playoff purposes is to invest several assets (I called it "The Big Package") in one notable improvement, in Nuggets-2019 case for one star(ter) level forward. I suggested putting in that package some players which have some value before February trade deadline (but not anymore) as Barton, Lyles, IT, add 2021 1st, and also to send Juancho or Plumlee if other side wants. Tobias Harris (plus Marjanovic) are expiring, Otto Porter is overpaid, Porzingis has a big injury issue - but they all are worth such blockbuster move.

Portland also has all reasons to be happy with their regular season result, but they still invest in expiring Kanter, despite they don't need too much such a player, but once they lose Nurkic that addition becomes pure gold for Blazers, so they even improved from 5th to 3rd seed and performing well so far in 1st round series vs Thunder. But the team which moves I praised the most was Sixers, which sacrifice so many assets to get two expiring TOP30 players (Butler and T.Harris), gambling rightfully that "all-star" lineups better performing in the playoff, and that once created superteam tends to stay together. Yesterday they managed to beat deep Brooklyn team even without Embiid in New York!
skywalker33

Post#104 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:53 am

THE J0KER wrote:Unfortunately, I was so right when I criticize our FO for being so happy with how our regular season goes that they don't even try to improve our roster (SF spot particularly), or at least to get rid of Barton toxic contract before MPJ debut next season makes the negative value of him. With a deep team, the best way to improve for the upcoming playoff purposes is to invest several assets (I called it "The Big Package") in one notable improvement, in Nuggets-2019 case for one star(ter) level forward. I suggested putting in that package some players which have some value before February trade deadline (but not anymore) as Barton, Lyles, IT, add 2021 1st, and also to send Juancho or Plumlee if other side wants. Tobias Harris (plus Marjanovic) are expiring, Otto Porter is overpaid, Porzingis has a big injury issue - but they all are worth such blockbuster move.

Portland also has all reasons to be happy with their regular season result, but they still invest in expiring Kanter, despite they don't need too much such a player, but once they lose Nurkic that addition becomes pure gold for Blazers, so they even improved from 5th to 3rd seed and performing well so far in 1st round series vs Thunder. But the team which moves I praised the most was Sixers, which sacrifice so many assets to get two expiring TOP30 players (Butler and T.Harris), gambling rightfully that "all-star" lineups better performing in the playoff, and that once created superteam tends to stay together. Yesterday they managed to beat deep Brooklyn team even without Embiid in New York!

Wow, hate this "I know better crap than the team", just always comes across as so arrogant BS. First, Barton coming off injury, Lyles in declining production, IT barely off his 18mo injury and a late 2021 1st, what kinda value do you think that has to another team ?? You need to hang out Coeur more often to discuss Nuggets value, you both seem to want give away the team for the Bigger Better Deal.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#105 » by THE J0KER » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:52 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
THE J0KER wrote:Unfortunately, I was so right when I criticize our FO for being so happy with how our regular season goes that they don't even try to improve our roster (SF spot particularly), or at least to get rid of Barton toxic contract before MPJ debut next season makes the negative value of him. With a deep team, the best way to improve for the upcoming playoff purposes is to invest several assets (I called it "The Big Package") in one notable improvement, in Nuggets-2019 case for one star(ter) level forward. I suggested putting in that package some players which have some value before February trade deadline (but not anymore) as Barton, Lyles, IT, add 2021 1st, and also to send Juancho or Plumlee if other side wants. Tobias Harris (plus Marjanovic) are expiring, Otto Porter is overpaid, Porzingis has a big injury issue - but they all are worth such blockbuster move.

Wow, hate this "I know better crap than the team", just always comes across as so arrogant BS. First, Barton coming off injury, Lyles in declining production, IT barely off his 18mo injury and a late 2021 1st, what kinda value do you think that has to another team ?? You need to hang out Coeur more often to discuss Nuggets value, you both seem to want give away the team for the Bigger Better Deal.

Interesting is that when I filled BEFORE trade deadline almost every trade offer with Barton, Lyles, IT (+2021first) you often criticize me for giving too much assets. But from today perspective when they are not assets anymore I must to explain that they have any value during first half of the season. Yes, they all have some trade value couple months ago, especially cumulative value for type of deals which I suggested the most (a 'big package' for a notable new starter). IT has some value before his weak state was exposed late this season. He was 2017 all-star under 2M contract, and everyone watching D.Rose rebirth (J.Noah partly too). Lyles was still under rookie contract, and he pumps some value during previous season for sure. I say we need to get rid from the Barton until he still has some trade value already on the day he re-signed last summer. Now the whole league realized how good we are after finishing #2, but couple months ago we are just the team fighting for first playoff appearance after 6 years, so value of our 2021 was considered higher around league. I talked about this things right in time...
skywalker33

Post#106 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:26 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:

Interesting is that when I filled BEFORE trade deadline almost every trade offer with Barton, Lyles, IT (+2021first) you often criticize me for giving too much assets. But from today perspective when they are not assets anymore I must to explain that they have any value during first half of the season. Yes, they all have some trade value couple months ago, especially cumulative value for type of deals which I suggested the most (a 'big package' for a notable new starter). IT has some value before his weak state was exposed late this season. He was 2017 all-star under 2M contract, and everyone watching D.Rose rebirth (J.Noah partly too). Lyles was still under rookie contract, and he pumps some value during previous season for sure. I say we need to get rid from the Barton until he still has some trade value already on the day he re-signed last summer. Now the whole league realized how good we are after finishing #2, but couple months ago we are just the team fighting for first playoff appearance after 6 years, so value of our 2021 was considered higher around league. I talked about this things right in time...

I agree we need to move Barton, at the very least remove him from the starting lineup. As a 6th man I believe his value will increase but as a starter his play has been very unimpactful.

No use crying over spilled milk, both Lyles and IT should be gone, IT has nothing left and Lyles doesn’t fit long term. I can’t see getting anything more than a 2nd for both, so why not just take their cap space ??

And yes, I am very much on record disliking many of your (and ALL of Coeurs) trades, they seems to be very lopsided, and I usually am not shy to point that out, but it is just MY opinion. If you want to put them out, to me you are soliciting feedback and I am glad to reply, being a life-long Nuggets fan

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#107 » by TunaFish » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:09 pm

How big a surprise is it that Portland leads OKC 3 to 1 going home. Looks like Portland in round 2. Who would have thought that possible with Nurkic out?

So far no big surprises in the rest of the brackets.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#108 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:04 pm

TunaFish wrote:How big a surprise is it that Portland leads OKC 3 to 1 going home. Looks like Portland in round 2. Who would have thought that possible with Nurkic out?

A little surprised at Portland up 3-1, but only a little. OKC has not played well this year. They have some good players and I really like their roster but something isn't right. Plus, as nice as Nurkic fit, Portland is built around their guards.
skywalker33

Post#109 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:47 pm

On our recent B2B we handled POR in the 1st game then almost beat them at their house without Jokic, Murray and Milsap. Not really too worried, moreso that we get there.

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#110 » by U hova » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Suns fire Igor Kokoskov...
What do we think of him vs. Malone?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm

U hova wrote:Suns fire Igor Kokoskov...

Well, I like him. Is he better than Malone? He hasn't had a chance to show much, but I think so. I also think there's no way the Nuggets fire Malone.
skywalker33

Post#112 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:51 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:

Well, I like him. Is he better than Malone? He hasn't had a chance to show much, but I think so. I also think there's no way the Nuggets fire Malone.

I agree but seems we've had a lot of interest in our asst coaches, adding Kokoskov as an asst may be just getting aligned for the inevitable.

That said, I wasn't really impressed with what Kokoskov did/didn't do with the Suns, there's some talent on that team.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

I agree but seems we've had a lot of interest in our asst coaches, adding Kokoskov as an asst may be just getting aligned for the inevitable.

That said, I wasn't really impressed with what Kokoskov did/didn't do with the Suns, there's some talent on that team.

Well, their defense didn't impress me :lol:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#114 » by The Rebel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:28 pm

TunaFish wrote:How big a surprise is it that Portland leads OKC 3 to 1 going home. Looks like Portland in round 2. Who would have thought that possible with Nurkic out?

The Thunder struggled from basically mid january to the end of the season and were literally looking like the worst out of any western playoff team those last couple of months. Thunder fans were scared to death that they would end up the 8th seed towards the end of the season until they beat the rockets in their last game together. I was not really surprised that they lost the series badly, but I was really surprised that they did not try to do more with Adams considering the Trailblazers lack of interior defenders.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#115 » by TunaFish » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 am

The Rebel wrote:

The Thunder struggled from basically mid january to the end of the season and were literally looking like the worst out of any western playoff team those last couple of months. Thunder fans were scared to death that they would end up the 8th seed towards the end of the season until they beat the rockets in their last game together. I was not really surprised that they lost the series badly, but I was really surprised that they did not try to do more with Adams considering the Trailblazers lack of interior defenders.

For me the surprise is how well the Blazers played without Nurkic. Kanter has played well but Adams (OKC) should have been a mismatch. Factor in that the Thunder handled the Blazers well during the regular season and I would not have bet against OKC against most opponents that lose a (key) starter at the end of the season.

OKC has the 2nd highest payroll in the NBA and a first round exit to show for it. They do have Paul George but you have to wonder if they are about to implode.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#116 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:03 am

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

For me the surprise is how well the Blazers played without Nurkic. Kanter has played well but Adams (OKC) should have been a mismatch. Factor in that the Thunder handled the Blazers well during the regular season and I would not have bet against OKC against most opponents that lose a (key) starter at the end of the season.

OKC has the 2nd highest payroll in the NBA and a first round exit to show for it. They do have Paul George but you have to wonder if they are about to implode.

Could that be an opportunity knocking ?? Milsap and Juancho straight up for PG13 ??

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#117 » by The Rebel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:31 am

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

We agree on Adams, he actually has a decent enough offensive game and can hit jumpshots, however with the Westbrook offense he rarely gets those chances. People forget that the Thunder handled the Trailblazers early in the season, it was a different team later in the season. After the all star break Westbrook's numbers had a significant jump while the rest of the team had theirs decline. Reminds me of Melo in 2009-2010, early in the season he played like he had in 2008-09 being unselfish, moving the ball, moving off the ball, and playing defense, then Karl got sick and Melo and the entire team fell apart and went back to old habits. The same thing happened in OKC, Westbrook went back to his old habits breaking down the defense and causing obvious issues with their offense.

So I say that they have already imploded, and it was just after the all star break, that is why the Trailblazers wiped the floor with them. Hell the Thunder defense was ranked #11th in the league after the all star break, but that was a big drop from the 3rd rated defense they had been. Their offense got worse as well, totally combined the Thunder were 3 points per 100 possessions worse after the all star break. That is the difference between the 76ers and Nets for net rating for reference.

Now the question is how do they move forward? They will likely have to fire their coach, but they are going to have to change out more of the team. The question is which one they move? Adams is who the fans want gone, but he is unselfish enough to work with Westbrook. The only guys they have of any real value is George and their draft pick, the question is what it would take and what would you give up.

The positive is that they are likely to want veterans more than inexperienced guys, but I don't see a deal of Barton and Juancho getting anywhere close. Maybe if you threw in Millsap's expiring and took back a bad deal that would work, as that is actually a solid package, but I am sure that they insist on at least 1 of our young guards and probably MPJ as well, and I am not interested in taht right now. Of course that could change after the next round as well.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Of course I'd love Paul George on the Nuggets but it seems unlikely they trade him.
Steven Adams has a pretty hefty contract but I'd be willing to trade Millsap plus one of our guards for him. The problem might be which guard. They probably don't want a pure PG like Morris and clearly we don't want to trade Murray. I love Harris but am really starting to believe in Beasley. So which of those two are we willing to offer? (I'd rather wait another year before trading one of them, but ...) The real question is, will Jokic & Adams fit together in the starting lineup? I believe so with a lot of high post - low post combinations. But it is similar to Nurkic and Malone couldn't make that work, so I don't know. Adams is paid too much to be a bench player. I do love his game and his attitude of team first plus he provides some toughness that we need. His age fits into the Nuggets' roster. Okay, let's make the deal. 8-)
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#119 » by U hova » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:42 pm

I think those OKC based trades are a pipe-dream. They're about to pay Westbrook uh... ALOT of money, and they're not going to trade away talent even if their chances with him at the helm are near zero.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#120 » by TunaFish » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:01 am

U hova wrote:I think those OKC based trades are a pipe-dream. They're about to pay Westbrook uh... ALOT of money, and they're not going to trade away talent even if their chances with him at the helm are near zero.

If that is true then how does OKC deal with luxury tax issue? They have the 2nd highest payroll in the NBA and yet they can't get out of the 1st round. Pay the tax or change the team.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets