Malone criticizing Thomas

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Malone criticizing Thomas 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Mar 5, 2019 12:37 pm

Malone on Isaiah Thomas following Denver’s loss to Utah: “He’s got to understand how we play, move the ball and get guys involved.” In 6 games, Thomas is 2nd on the Nuggets in USG%. Will be interesting to monitor this over the next week.

My question: Why didn't Thomas learn that during practices all season long?
Manolito
Senior
And1: 392

Re: Malone criticizing Thomas 

Post#2 » by Manolito » Tue Mar 5, 2019 12:52 pm

In last three losses Thomas has shot 10/31 with only 2 assists!!

IT risk was not needed. With Murray Harris Morris Beasley....why running so much risk messing up lineups at this point of the season.

Sent from my Aquaris M5 using RealGM mobile app
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#3 » by The Rebel » Tue Mar 5, 2019 2:40 pm

Thomas is not 2nd in usage, he is 1st since he has been playing at 32.5% the next closest is Jokic who is at 27.8%. Thomas is the worst player on offense and on defense for anybody that has played in 7 games for the Nuggets the last 2 years. He is putting up 9.7 ppg, 1.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists with 2.0 turnovers a game on 47.9% TS%. All of those stats and advanced stats put Thomas as worse than Nick Young, who Malone played 4 games. Malone has been complaining about Thomas not sharing the ball and being selfish for over a week yet Thomas is still getting his minutes. The only reason Thomas is playing is that he is close to Malone, and it is time TC steps in and cuts Thomas, it is the only answer if Malone is going to continue to play him.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#4 » by manchambo » Thu Mar 7, 2019 8:55 pm

The Rebel wrote:Thomas is not 2nd in usage, he is 1st since he has been playing at 32.5% the next closest is Jokic who is at 27.8%. Thomas is the worst player on offense and on defense for anybody that has played in 7 games for the Nuggets the last 2 years. He is putting up 9.7 ppg, 1.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists with 2.0 turnovers a game on 47.9% TS%. All of those stats and advanced stats put Thomas as worse than Nick Young, who Malone played 4 games. Malone has been complaining about Thomas not sharing the ball and being selfish for over a week yet Thomas is still getting his minutes. The only reason Thomas is playing is that he is close to Malone, and it is time TC steps in and cuts Thomas, it is the only answer if Malone is going to continue to play him.

I think Malone is giving a very talented player a chance to get the rust off and try to find his place in the system. That's what he should do, and do now, to figure out if he will be a valuable asset in the playoffs.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:38 pm

manchambo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Thomas is not 2nd in usage, he is 1st since he has been playing at 32.5% the next closest is Jokic who is at 27.8%. Thomas is the worst player on offense and on defense for anybody that has played in 7 games for the Nuggets the last 2 years. He is putting up 9.7 ppg, 1.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists with 2.0 turnovers a game on 47.9% TS%. All of those stats and advanced stats put Thomas as worse than Nick Young, who Malone played 4 games. Malone has been complaining about Thomas not sharing the ball and being selfish for over a week yet Thomas is still getting his minutes. The only reason Thomas is playing is that he is close to Malone, and it is time TC steps in and cuts Thomas, it is the only answer if Malone is going to continue to play him.

I think Malone is giving a very talented player a chance to get the rust off and try to find his place in the system. That's what he should do, and do now, to figure out if he will be a valuable asset in the playoffs.

Okay, that makes sense and I sort of assumed that when we signed Thomas. However, Malone has always been a coach that did not play young players much because he is so intent on winning (not just the season or the games but each quarter and each play regardless of the standings or game score). That seems inconsistent IMO. If a player isn't learning how to play or fit in during practice, then Malone shouldn't be playing them - if he wants to be consistent.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Fri Mar 8, 2019 12:43 am

Of course IT will play badly in first 7 games after such long pause. I have no problem with his high usage rate too, because of we take him to be leader on the court when Jokic is on the bench. My only problem with IT is for what we need him at all once Morris and Beasley improved into such efficient backcourt backup options? We have opportunity to trade IT and Lyles before trade deadline till they have some value, or to add to Barton and 2021 first to get an notable forward. Now is too late, and odds that he will become useful backup option before playoff is not good. IT have talent, no doubt, maybe he will rebirth on Derick Rose way, but next season in some other team.

Return to Denver Nuggets