ImageImageImage

Draft

Moderator: THE J0KER

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Re: Draft 

Post#21 » by Coeur » Thu May 9, 2019 2:59 am

I really like luka samanic as a second round pf or Kenny wooten. Opposite types. Wooten I think the second best shot blocker athlete. He’s not even listed in most mock drafts so he could be that Torrey Craig type udfa
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Thu May 9, 2019 3:10 am

THE J0KER wrote:Our FO is not known as aggressive, so I'm not sure they are going to trade for some 2019 pick (at least 2nd round) before the draft.

So maybe we should be focused on undrafted players? We take Torrey Craig after all on that way! In this playoff, we can see how Spurs Bryn Forbes or Raptor Fred VanVleet was useful for their teams, and both are undrafted players from the 2016 draft. If our scouts have some secret undrafted pick we will see it probably already during Summer League.

Vanderbilt missed training camp, pre-season, and a good share of the season. He'll be like a rookie next year.
Porter will be a rookie next year.
If they bring in Cancar (hope, hope), he'll be a rookie.

I just don't think the Nuggets need to add a draft pick this year.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by Coeur » Fri May 10, 2019 4:34 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Our FO is not known as aggressive, so I'm not sure they are going to trade for some 2019 pick (at least 2nd round) before the draft.

So maybe we should be focused on undrafted players? We take Torrey Craig after all on that way! In this playoff, we can see how Spurs Bryn Forbes or Raptor Fred VanVleet was useful for their teams, and both are undrafted players from the 2016 draft. If our scouts have some secret undrafted pick we will see it probably already during Summer League.

Vanderbilt missed training camp, pre-season, and a good share of the season. He'll be like a rookie next year.
Porter will be a rookie next year.
If they bring in Cancar (hope, hope), he'll be a rookie.

I just don't think the Nuggets need to add a draft pick this year.
theres never a draft that doesn’t have guys that could help you

This years draft may bring a better player than those guys or others.

I see what you’re saying about already having as many young guys as you might want to try developing at once.

I’m just a huge believer in you draft when you want not when they tell you. I’d love if they found the right guy and traded a future pick or 2
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#24 » by skywalker33 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Coeur wrote:I’m just a huge believer in you draft when you want not when they tell you. I’d love if they found the right guy and traded a future pick or 2

Well, didn’t they choose when they made that trade ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Personally I don’t see this as a great draft especially where we’d be selecting. I could see buying a 2nd ( I like Samaric too) but only as a draft n stash

Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#26 » by Mac1958 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:46 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Vanderbilt missed training camp, pre-season, and a good share of the season. He'll be like a rookie next year.
Porter will be a rookie next year. If they bring in Cancar (hope, hope), he'll be a rookie. I just don't think the Nuggets need to add a draft pick this year.

Yep! On top of the success the team had without them, I'LL TAKE IT.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#27 » by psimanic1 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:58 pm

If we miss on Samanic, and Simanic(yup, we have same last name :lol: ), this guy would be nice draft and stash prospect, few summer leagues and see if you can get anything out of him, he should go undrafted so...

He had one injury few years back, but before that he was mentioned as I think Top10 prospect in Europe at that time(played for Bosnia with Dzanan Musa of Brooklyn Nets). It's kind of low risk high reward(if any :D )
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#28 » by Mickey8 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:00 am

If Filip Petrusev decides to stay in this year draft ,and if he falls to Denver's selection, Denver should go for it, another super talented serbian center. He could be Jokic's heir in Denver. He didn't get much playing time at Gonzaga this year but he is going to dominate u19 world championship this summer.

skywalker33

Post#29 » by skywalker33 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:38 am

Mickey8 wrote:If Filip Petrusev decides to stay in this year draft ,and if he falls to Denver's selection, Denver should go for it, another super talented serbian center. He could be Jokic's heir in Denver. He didn't get much playing time at Gonzaga this year but he is going to dominate u19 world championship this summer.

Looks to withdraw , just testing. Jokic's "heir" would have a long time to wait to ascend to the throne, Jokic has awhile to stay in the spotlight. Needs to add some weight looks to be a mid 2nd right now but who knows what he could turn into

Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Coeur » Sun May 12, 2019 1:39 am

That would be a really great pick for the future if he stays in

I think the “heir” you have to check this draft for us Milsap replacement. I just think Brandon Clarke could be so phenomenal playing off Jokic and murray. World class athleticism, finishing, defending, and blocking shots at the 4 playing off those 2? Championship piece.

SF- KZ Okpala I think this guy is the sleeper of the draft. Injuries and a horrible Stanford team. 6-9 ball handling 3. I think he’s for sure a top 10 guy from this draft and he’s being placed anywhere from 15-40. Mostly close to 30

SG- Nugs have no reason to draft sg except it’s the deepest sg class ever. The right scouting might get a huge steal. I really like Louis the King from Oregon’s ceiling. There’s a guy from Yale. 2 guys from Washington night also be so perfect on the Nugs. Thybulle is like a new age Doug Christie and Jaylen nowell could be an amazing 6th man. These guys are all supposed to be 30-40

PG- another miscast guy right now is LU Dort Arizona state. He’s going to be able to play both guard spots for a team like Denver. His defensive ability and physical presence from a guard spot will be huge. He a Canadian kid that just seems like he fits right in with the teams mentality and style

I just convinced this is the draft to trade into. Most drafts have such defined talent levels that teams just keep going best player available. This years will be impossible to predict
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#31 » by NuggetsWY » Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 am

Coeur wrote:
Spoiler:
That would be a really great pick for the future if he stays in. I think the “heir” you have to check this draft for us Milsap replacement. I just think Brandon Clarke could be so phenomenal playing off Jokic and murray. World class athleticism, finishing, defending, and blocking shots at the 4 playing off those 2? Championship piece.

SF- KZ Okpala I think this guy is the sleeper of the draft. Injuries and a horrible Stanford team. 6-9 ball handling 3. I think he’s for sure a top 10 guy from this draft and he’s being placed anywhere from 15-40. Mostly close to 30

Won't totally disagree with you on the center & SF comments (spoiler to condense what might become a long post).
Coeur wrote:SG- Nugs have no reason to draft sg except it’s the deepest sg class ever. The right scouting might get a huge steal. I really like Louis the King from Oregon’s ceiling. There’s a guy from Yale. 2 guys from Washington night also be so perfect on the Nugs. Thybulle is like a new age Doug Christie and Jaylen nowell could be an amazing 6th man. These guys are all supposed to be 30-40

Here's where I am really beginning to believe you've got a very solid point. While I've always like Beasley and I've thought Barton was a good bench player. Truthfully, neither has impressed me in the playoffs overall.

Barton is scoring 10 ppg while shooting 34% & 28% from 3pt. He's getting 5 rebounds per game, but that's not what he's paid for. He's paid for scoring.

Beasley is scoring 12 ppg but shooting 39% with a nice 41% from 3pt (worse from 2?) but he isn't adding much more although his defense is decent (not great). I'll give him a little extra time because of his age. But I'm starting to wonder.

If we can trade Barton and/or Beasley for any draft pick of value and pickup a SG, I'd be okay with that. Keeping Morris to be a backup PG and letting Murray play the primary backup SG would be acceptable while a new SG develops.
Spoiler:
Coeur wrote:PG- another miscast guy right now is LU Dort Arizona state. He’s going to be able to play both guard spots for a team like Denver. His defensive ability and physical presence from a guard spot will be huge. He a Canadian kid that just seems like he fits right in with the teams mentality and style

I just convinced this is the draft to trade into. Most drafts have such defined talent levels that teams just keep going best player available. This years will be impossible to predict

Disagree with you a little bit on PG (unless we trade Morris). But I understand what you are saying.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#32 » by psimanic1 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm

What about the guy that was suspended or something by NCAA, he is SF/PF I think
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#33 » by The Rebel » Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 am

psimanic1 wrote:What about the guy that was suspended or something by NCAA, he is SF/PF I think

The front office seems to avoid any kind of character concern type of guys.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by The Rebel » Mon May 13, 2019 1:05 am

Personally I hope they go get a veteran SF and either keep Millsap or sign a veteran place holder for the year at PF. I just do not see a lot of room if they are bringing in Cancar, and MPJ/ Vanderbilt are both going to be healthy. The deserve a fair shot to see what we have in them, and we do not need more youth on this team right now.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Coeur » Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm

The Rebel wrote:Personally I hope they go get a veteran SF and either keep Millsap or sign a veteran place holder for the year at PF. I just do not see a lot of room if they are bringing in Cancar, and MPJ/ Vanderbilt are both going to be healthy. The deserve a fair shot to see what we have in them, and we do not need more youth on this team right now.

The youth doesn’t have to be those guys though. Vanderbilt and cancar aren’t guys you avoid the draft because of. I am excited and hopefull for all 3 but

I do understand that you only want so many young guys. But always look at the draft Incase there’s something perfect.

And there is someone perfect for the Nugs in this draft and he’s being placed all over from 8-20’s. Brandon Clarke
skywalker33

Post#36 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Coeur wrote:The youth doesn’t have to be those guys though. Vanderbilt and cancar aren’t guys you avoid the draft because of. I am excited and hopefull for all 3 but

Coeur wrote:But they should be looking for a defensive forward

What do you think Vanderbilt is .....eye candy ?????

Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by Coeur » Wed May 15, 2019 9:00 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Coeur wrote:The youth doesn’t have to be those guys though. Vanderbilt and cancar aren’t guys you avoid the draft because of. I am excited and hopefull for all 3 but

You guys are right. The 3 f’s they have coming all look good. Almost too good to be true. If cancar is really 6-10 or bigger he looks like the perfect pf offensivly. And obviously mpj is or was a top prospect for a reason.

So yes I guess you’re right. Vanderbilt fits this description. I just think Brandon Clarke is so much better than I expect Vanderbilt to be that it’s worth 2 future 1sts
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by The Rebel » Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Coeur wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Personally I hope they go get a veteran SF and either keep Millsap or sign a veteran place holder for the year at PF. I just do not see a lot of room if they are bringing in Cancar, and MPJ/ Vanderbilt are both going to be healthy. The deserve a fair shot to see what we have in them, and we do not need more youth on this team right now.

The youth doesn’t have to be those guys though. Vanderbilt and cancar aren’t guys you avoid the draft because of. I am excited and hopefull for all 3 but

I do understand that you only want so many young guys. But always look at the draft Incase there’s something perfect.

And there is someone perfect for the Nugs in this draft and he’s being placed all over from 8-20’s. Brandon Clarke

Vanderbilt before his injury was considered a late lotto pick in last year's draft prior to his foot injury. Last year appears to be the best draft in the last 15 years after 1st year results, I would easily take him over anybody you can get 8-20 in this year's draft, especially if I have to give up assets to get that guy.

You really should go do research on Vanderbilt, Clarke is basically a poor man's Vanderbilt. The biggest difference is that many project Clarke can be a good perimeter defender, Vanderbilt showed he was in college and was already known for steals and shutting guys down on the perimeter. Both are not big nor strong enough coming into the draft to really guard Centers, and both have tremendous instincts on help defense. VAnderbilt is a significantly better rebounder on both offense and defense though. While both are basically dunkers and finishers on offense, Jarred is a considerably better passer and shot creator with a better midrange and free throw shooter (indicating he will be able to develop a better jumpshot than Clarke).

While you have to take comparisons with a grain of salt, I have seen many compare Vanderbilt to a better defending Lamar Odom with the downside of Rondae Hollis Jefferson, while I see most people comparing Clarke to Robert Convington without the shooting or Jerami Grant.

Now the crazy thing is that Vanderbilt just turn 20 years old in April, Clarke will be 23 by the time the season starts.

Nothing I have seen watching either play, scouting reports I have read, or highlight videos I have seen say that Clarke is going to be better than Vanderbilt is going to be.

I would easily take Vanderbilt plus whatever asset we would have to give up over trading into the late lotto to take Clarke. If he fell to the 2nd round I may buy a pick, but I would much prefer to stick with Vanderbilt and the other asset.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by The Rebel » Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

You guys are right. The 3 f’s they have coming all look good. Almost too good to be true. If cancar is really 6-10 or bigger he looks like the perfect pf offensivly. And obviously mpj is or was a top prospect for a reason.

So yes I guess you’re right. Vanderbilt fits this description. I just think Brandon Clarke is so much better than I expect Vanderbilt to be that it’s worth 2 future 1sts

What makes you think Clarke is going to be that good? Also if others agreed do you not think he would be getting a higher draft slot than mid 1st round when this draft appears to be so weak on good prospects?

One other thing I will add, as long as Plumlee is the backup Center and Millsap comes back it will not matter who our defensive PF is, Cancar or another jumpshooter will be getting the backup PF minutes, you cannot play Plumlee with someone else who cannot shoot in the front court. To easy to shut down the paint with 2 bigs.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by Coeur » Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 am

The Rebel wrote:
Coeur wrote:

Vanderbilt before his injury was considered a late lotto pick in last year's draft prior to his foot injury. Last year appears to be the best draft in the last 15 years after 1st year results, I would easily take him over anybody you can get 8-20 in this year's draft, especially if I have to give up assets to get that guy.

You really should go do research on Vanderbilt, Clarke is basically a poor man's Vanderbilt. The biggest difference is that many project Clarke can be a good perimeter defender, Vanderbilt showed he was in college and was already known for steals and shutting guys down on the perimeter. Both are not big nor strong enough coming into the draft to really guard Centers, and both have tremendous instincts on help defense. VAnderbilt is a significantly better rebounder on both offense and defense though. While both are basically dunkers and finishers on offense, Jarred is a considerably better passer and shot creator with a better midrange and free throw shooter (indicating he will be able to develop a better jumpshot than Clarke).

While you have to take comparisons with a grain of salt, I have seen many compare Vanderbilt to a better defending Lamar Odom with the downside of Rondae Hollis Jefferson, while I see most people comparing Clarke to Robert Convington without the shooting or Jerami Grant.

Now the crazy thing is that Vanderbilt just turn 20 years old in April, Clarke will be 23 by the time the season starts.

Nothing I have seen watching either play, scouting reports I have read, or highlight videos I have seen say that Clarke is going to be better than Vanderbilt is going to be.

I would easily take Vanderbilt plus whatever asset we would have to give up over trading into the late lotto to take Clarke. If he fell to the 2nd round I may buy a pick, but I would much prefer to stick with Vanderbilt and the other asset.

I guess I just hope you are right. Or even half right. 1 in the hand.

I could go on forever why I think Clarke is so perfect for the Nugs and to play off Jokic and Murray. But let’s go off you are right. And I love cancar +mpj. So in that case if the Nugs are studying hard at a player to move in for than it makes more sense at another position.

I see 3 pac 12 guys I think are very underrated that might be great additions to the Nugs. ESP for the future.

pG- Lu Dort. Listed as a 2nd round sg I think he’s being shortchanged and think someone will grab him way sooner. Nugs and Dort could fit so great

Sg- Louis the King- I think he ends up going lottery but nobody says that now. 6-9 sg. Honestly young tMac was the only guy that he reminded me of

Sf- KZ Okpala I think is a top 5-8 player from this draft. I’m seeing him listed anywher 10-40

Return to Denver Nuggets