ImageImageImage

Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15)

Moderators: THE J0KER, NuggetsWY

reflex35
Sophomore
Posts: 164
And1: 51
Joined: Jul 10, 2019

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#41 » by reflex35 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Alatan wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
I dont know what the Lithuaninan guy watched but Jokic has improved much with his lateral mobility and speed. Doesnt really look slimmer, on the opposite he looks bigger (not fatter) and faster witch is quite impressive.

In the game Jokic really shined on D. His offense was rusty witch is somewhat understandable but his mobility and positioning on D was amazing. Il look if there are some clips of it to show.



Shined on D against who? You're missing the point..
He shined against a third tier young centre who will have a first year in Euroleague this year and against undersized 4 who is 34-35 years old veteran on Lithuanian team. :lol:
This is a bit crazy - you're saying he looks bigger (and I say fatter) but he improved his lateral speed and mobility? :roll:
Maybe to your eyes it looks like that because he was playing against slow old and young inexperienced opponents mostly?
Because NBA speed wise he looks slower but I see that everyone sees what they want to see.
Let's see how the game goes today in Lithuania...


The fact that you think that defense is only played one on one makes me want to end this discussion. Jokic does look Bigger and faster especially laterally. He is not Giannis out there but he can switch onto mediocre guards and contain them and same can be said for wings with is a major addition to his game.

Gaining mobility without loosing mass and strength is incredible because most of us Nuggets feared that if he lost weight he would lose an advantage as a paint presence and a screen setter.


Ok... Well... Most of the defence is played one on one, but you can probably argue that there is 20-30 % help defence going on or let's say you have to play zone defence and that's another matter.
But you're taking something which is a smaller piece of the puzzle making it sound as if individual defence against your own opponent plays a smaller role than any type of team/help defence.
Alatan
Veteran
Posts: 2,655
And1: 2,142
Joined: May 06, 2017

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#42 » by Alatan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:00 pm

reflex35 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
I dont know what the Lithuaninan guy watched but Jokic has improved much with his lateral mobility and speed. Doesnt really look slimmer, on the opposite he looks bigger (not fatter) and faster witch is quite impressive.

In the game Jokic really shined on D. His offense was rusty witch is somewhat understandable but his mobility and positioning on D was amazing. Il look if there are some clips of it to show.



Shined on D against who? You're missing the point..
He shined against a third tier young centre who will have a first year in Euroleague this year and against undersized 4 who is 34-35 years old veteran on Lithuanian team. :lol:
This is a bit crazy - you're saying he looks bigger (and I say fatter) but he improved his lateral speed and mobility? :roll:
Maybe to your eyes it looks like that because he was playing against slow old and young inexperienced opponents mostly?
Because NBA speed wise he looks slower but I see that everyone sees what they want to see.
Let's see how the game goes today in Lithuania...



And don't talk about watching highlights because guys here will watch those and think that Jokic looked great.
Watch a full game or at least Jokic minutes to get a full understanding how he looked...
Everyone in highlights look great - therefore they are called "highlights". If we go by that then there is nothing else to say.


Oh shut the F up. I watched the full game. I just found you highlight to prove what im talking about.
reflex35
Sophomore
Posts: 164
And1: 51
Joined: Jul 10, 2019

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#43 » by reflex35 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Alatan wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:

Shined on D against who? You're missing the point..
He shined against a third tier young centre who will have a first year in Euroleague this year and against undersized 4 who is 34-35 years old veteran on Lithuanian team. :lol:
This is a bit crazy - you're saying he looks bigger (and I say fatter) but he improved his lateral speed and mobility? :roll:
Maybe to your eyes it looks like that because he was playing against slow old and young inexperienced opponents mostly?
Because NBA speed wise he looks slower but I see that everyone sees what they want to see.
Let's see how the game goes today in Lithuania...



And don't talk about watching highlights because guys here will watch those and think that Jokic looked great.
Watch a full game or at least Jokic minutes to get a full understanding how he looked...
Everyone in highlights look great - therefore they are called "highlights". If we go by that then there is nothing else to say.


Oh shut the F up. I watched the full game. I just found you highlight to prove what im talking about.


Be calm and don't bark a lot and if you have issues with anger management there institutions to help.. :lol: I advise you call them before it's too late.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 9,783
And1: 3,395
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#44 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm

reflex35 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
reflex35 wrote:

And don't talk about watching highlights because guys here will watch those and think that Jokic looked great.
Watch a full game or at least Jokic minutes to get a full understanding how he looked...
Everyone in highlights look great - therefore they are called "highlights". If we go by that then there is nothing else to say.


Oh shut the F up. I watched the full game. I just found you highlight to prove what im talking about.


Be calm and don't bark a lot and if you have issues with anger management there institutions to help.. :lol: I advise you call them before it's too late.


Well, I agree with Alatan here, and you've already stated your own bias. You come over here trying to spout crap about Jokic gaining 20-30 lbs of excessive weight (which I call BS, doesn't look like it to me), it really appears you're here to just troll because your team LOST...are you really adding anything to this forum ...HELL NO !!

BTW...if not a troll, why does he/she eliminate any email contact ??....Trolls lack courage.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 7,813
And1: 2,691
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#45 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm

Rudy Gobert is arguably the Defensive Player of the Year in the minds of many, but playing one-on-one at the three point line - he's not going to look good there either. Neither is Rudy Gobert going to shove Jokic out of the low post. There are advantages to being tall (especially in the NBA) but even Kevin Durrant, as good a ball handler as he is, is not going to compete with Harden or Curry or many other players on some of their moves. There are advantages to being tall and medium and short. There are advantages to being slender and medium and heavy.

Ignorant people forget all of that; intelligent people learn how to use their advantages and minimize their disadvantages. Charles Barkley was listed at 6'6" but was really closer to 6'4" and played PF and was called the "Round Mound of Rebound". People made fun of him because of his weight. He can shove his HOF down their throats.

Last I checked, the final score of games is what really counts and Jokic almost always has a very positive impact on the final score.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 4,166
And1: 4,083
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#46 » by THE J0KER » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Serbia beat Lithuania once again, this time in Lithuania 95-91. Jokic once again not played as a starter, and have 15-5-5 type of game for about 20 minutes. But in these 20 minutes Serbia was about +20 in Jokic +/- column, while when he is on the bench Serbia can't deal with Valanciunas and Sabonis. Like in Belgrade game, Arturas Karnisovas and Mike Malone also attended the game, which is not surprising for AK (he is Lithuanian), but I didn't expect to see Malone once again. Talking about Arturas and Malone, last week I googled news that they visited Juancho Hernangomez in Spain where he has a couple of friendly games including Lithuania. I find in one game Juancho scored 13p+4reb, and his brother Willy coming from the bench (Juancho is a starter) at least twice scored 20+ points.

Image
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 9,783
And1: 3,395
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#47 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:52 am

Why can't Juancho do that for the Nuggets ??? He always seems to wear himself down or get injured in the World Cup before he gets to his NBA team.....priorities :roll:
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 4,166
And1: 4,083
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#48 » by THE J0KER » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Serbia played another friendly game today, vs Turkey in Athens tournament, and won routinely. Serbian coach once again used Jokic as a 20 minutes backup player, partly as PF, and once again not even trying to use him as point-center but mostly as old school center. Leading Serbian playmaker Teodosic is injured and most probably will miss World Cup, but other two have today 8 and 6 assists, while Jokic was one of 4 players in Serbian team with just 2 assists. But 20 minutes playing time and the wrong role was still not enough to prevent Jokic to be game-leader in points (18) and rebounds (11). The other two teams which Serbia will face in Greece is Italy (without Gallinari) and home team, which means the European clash of the titans between Jokic and Giannis.

Btw Torrey Craig definitely will not play this World Cup for Australia, which unexpectedly loses today at home vs weakened NBA-free Canada. Australia and Canada will play in the same WC group and after 10+ NBA Canadians withdraw (including Murray), Australia with Ingles, Mills, Bogut, Dellavedova are considered as the better team now.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 7,813
And1: 2,691
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#49 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Serbia played another friendly game today, vs Turkey in Athens tournament, and won routinely. Serbian coach once again used Jokic as a 20 minutes backup player, partly as PF, and once again not even trying to use him as point-center but mostly as old school center. Leading Serbian playmaker Teodosic is injured and most probably will miss World Cup, but other two have today 8 and 6 assists, while Jokic was one of 4 players in Serbian team with just 2 assists. But 20 minutes playing time and the wrong role was still not enough to prevent Jokic to be game-leader in points (18) and rebounds (11). The other two teams which Serbia will face in Greece is Italy (without Gallinari) and home team, which means the European clash of the titans between Jokic and Giannis.

Btw Torrey Craig definitely will not play this World Cup for Australia, which unexpectedly loses today at home vs weakened NBA-free Canada. Australia and Canada will play in the same WC group and after 10+ NBA Canadians withdraw (including Murray), Australia with Ingles, Mills, Bogut, Dellavedova are considered as the better team now.

NuggetsWY wrote:As I said before; "It'll be interesting to see how they use Jokic." Thanks for keeping us informed!
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 4,166
And1: 4,083
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#50 » by THE J0KER » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:As I said before; "It'll be interesting to see how they use Jokic." Thanks for keeping us informed!
It is all wrong so far, but upcoming game vs Greece in Athens should be the biggest test so far, and I guess Jokic will finally get starting job, 30+ minutes, and I hope, a different role much more similar to what he playing in NBA. It reminds me of that 2016-17 Nurkic-Jokic or 2017-18 Plumlee-Jokic bad experiment, despite in FIBA competition Jokic is a dominant force even used as old school center or power forward.

BTW, the USA national team (Plumlee) will play Spain (Juancho) at 10 pm ET tonight in Anaheim.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 4,166
And1: 4,083
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#51 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:03 am

THE J0KER wrote:BTW, the USA national team (Plumlee) will play Spain (Juancho) at 10 pm ET tonight in Anaheim.

Not the best day for our bench players. Juancho 4-1-0 in 20 minutes, Plumlee 0-2-1 in 14 minutes.
The USA at home beat Spain 90-81 (Gasol 19-4-3, Kemba 11-6-8).
User avatar
TunaFish
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,865
And1: 406
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#52 » by TunaFish » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:BTW, the USA national team (Plumlee) will play Spain (Juancho) at 10 pm ET tonight in Anaheim.

Not the best day for our bench players. Juancho 4-1-0 in 20 minutes, Plumlee 0-2-1 in 14 minutes.
The USA at home beat Spain 90-81 (Gasol 19-4-3, Kemba 11-6-8).


This is to be expected. They haven't installed plays and ball dominate players will stand out.
Canned in Denver.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 4,166
And1: 4,083
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#53 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I'm not sure should I post a report about today Acropolis Cup (Athens, Greece) here or on Sixers forum. The most notable single performance today comes from Sixers player Furkan Korkmaz which in Turkey lose vs Greece has great 25-8-5 numbers. And even more interesting for Sixers fans would be a report about Team Serbia today because they played many minutes using super-tall lineup Marjanovic-Jokic-Bjelica-Bogdanovic-Jovic :lol:

Once again Jokic played about 20 minutes, as a bench player, used for PF role too. Serbia won 30+ points vs Italy which played without their only star Galo, and Jokic stats are 20-4-4. Tomorrow will be the most important game for the Serbian team before the World Cup, against Greece/Giannis, so we will see how Serbia and Jokic will play vs someone who actually can challenge them.

With so many players withdraws from team USA, many people here in Serbia started dreaming about the gold medal. But seeing how Jokic is maybe be used wrongly, and after two players which should play for Serbia in China Kalinic and Nedovic was cut from the team without reason, and after injuries of two important players Teodosic and Milosavljevic this week, I would be more than happy if we grab the silver at the end.

Fun fact: all-NBA first team Jokic didn't start any game for Serbia this summer so far, unlike Juancho for Spain and Plumlee for the USA. :lol:
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 9,783
And1: 3,395
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#54 » by skywalker33 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Wonder if the USA will start recruiting top college players soon, too many NBAers withdrawing due to injury concerns, future contracts, lack of interest/value ?

Would it surprise anyone if USA eventually withdraws from the over-hyped international event ??
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 7,813
And1: 2,691
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#55 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:46 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Wonder if the USA will start recruiting top college players soon, too many NBAers withdrawing due to injury concerns, future contracts, lack of interest/value ?

Would it surprise anyone if USA eventually withdraws from the over-hyped international event ??

Until 1980, USA teams were always college players. It worked pretty good. Most of the players these days tend to be role players that don't receive too many minutes or deep bench players. I'm okay with that.

I don't think the USA withdraws from any international competition. We just have too many players to not be able to field at least one team. I'll be more surprised if our USA team coaches/management wake up and stop trying to recruit NBA players that make more than a few million per year.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 4,166
And1: 4,083
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#56 » by THE J0KER » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Jokic didn't play today vs Greece (personal reasons, not injury), but Serbia still won the game and this tournament in overtime thanks to Kings duo Bogdanovic 28-7-4 and Bjelica 18-14-4 which have great 9-17 shooting for 3pt. Giannis has 20 points but unusually only one single rebound.
SlayOrNay
Junior
Posts: 312
And1: 68
Joined: Jun 19, 2015
     

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#57 » by SlayOrNay » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:59 am

THE J0KER wrote:Jokic didn't play today vs Greece (personal reasons, not injury), but Serbia still won the game and this tournament in overtime thanks to Kings duo Bogdanovic 28-7-4 and Bjelica 18-14-4 which have great 9-17 shooting for 3pt. Giannis has 20 points but unusually only one single rebound.


Watching the game you could tell Giannis’ brothers were trying to take over in a way that Giannis should have done himself. Bogdan and Nemanja were absolutely everywhere for Serbia and they were the reason Serbia came away with the win. That defense was great and I’m really excited to see what this team does against USA with Jokic

Return to Denver Nuggets