ImageImageImage

Off-Season Priorities - see OP for explanations

Moderator: THE J0KER

What is the Nuggets most important point of emphasis this off-season?

Offense - more consistent
7%
Defense - help & switch
20%
Forwards - acquire and/or develop
67%
Other
7%

Total votes: 15

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Re: Off-Season Priorities - see OP for explanations 

Post#21 » by U hova » Mon Jun 3, 2019 2:55 pm

DeMar Derozan has depression (bless his soul) and comes up short in the playoffs... that's all there is for Toronto's playoff woes. We were the beneficiary of something similar this year. The "superstar" narrative is fake.

76ers struggled all season trying to figure out how to optimize Harris-Butler-Embiid-Simmons; they had a really pedestrian SRS (more-or-less Net Rating adjusted for strength of schedule) for a team that was 10 games over .500, suggesting they overachieved.

Love the Favors idea, I've been wanting to buy-low on him for years given how he went through a leg injury and put up a really bad season about 2 years ago... He's a great back-up C and a one of the best PnR PFs by my eye-test. And hey, we'd be re-uniting Favors and Millsap and I enjoy funny coincidences like that. If Utah really needs Barton than I'd be all for it.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#22 » by Coeur » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:05 am

The Rebel wrote:I do not see how anybody could have watched the playoffs and not see forward as our biggest priority?

Wiggins
Brandon Clarke(pick11)
Dario Saric
For
Gary Harris
Harris, Barton, Milsap
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#23 » by Coeur » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:11 am

The way the Nugs can use their forwards with Jokic is different than any other team. I think the Nugs should try to put 2 combo forwards out there and over power teams with Jokic and the F’s high/low game

I really like what they’re doing at Forward now it’s time for them to play. Vanderbilt, mpj, juancho all need their shot. And need another guy or 2 if uoure giving away Milsap
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#24 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:24 am

Coeur wrote:The way the Nugs can use their forwards with Jokic is different than any other team. I think the Nugs should try to put 2 combo forwards out there and over power teams with Jokic and the F’s high/low game

What post player do you propose out of our forwards ?? Milsap isn't getting any younger

Coeur wrote: Vanderbilt, mpj, juancho all need their shot.

Vanderbilt isn't a shooter. MPj is a question mark still, and Juancho has shown ZERO consistency....do you see things changing ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#25 » by The Rebel » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:40 pm

Coeur wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I do not see how anybody could have watched the playoffs and not see forward as our biggest priority?

Wiggins
Brandon Clarke(pick11)
Dario Saric
For
Gary Harris
Harris, Barton, Milsap

Trade Harris to add a bunch of bad money and still do not have a viable starting quality Forward out of the deal, I think I will pass.
skywalker33

Post#26 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 am

A player I wouldn't mind looking into (again ?) is OG Anunoby. Playing behind Kawhi and Siakam plus having to re-up with Leonard AND Gasol, perhaps there's a chance....

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#27 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 am

skywalker33 wrote:A player I wouldn't mind looking into (again ?) is OG Anunoby. Playing behind Kawhi and Siakam plus having to re-up with Leonard AND Gasol, perhaps there's a chance....

He hasn't lit the world on fire and I'm not sure he'll ever start for us, but I wouldn't object to acquiring Anunoby. If they lose Kawhi, I doubt he'll be available.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#28 » by The Rebel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:17 am

They seem to love Annouby, I doubt he hits the market whether Kawhi leaves or not.

The guy they will likely lose is going to be Danny Green, he is a free agent and if they get Kawhi to re-sign than they will be well into the tax without him, if Kawhi leaves than Green is too old while still being too good to keep around for a rebuild.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#29 » by Alatan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 pm

We should not add someone that doesnt fit unless he is a perenial allstar.
Since those guys apparantly arent interested we should try and trade for Covington, Otto Porter and similar players. I have my doubts about Favors but if what some of you say is corect he could be a good replacement for Millsap.

Firstly id try to get Midleton or Butler. If that fails id try to trade and sign a combination of above mentioned players.

Lastly, even as this is not a popular opinion, id try to trade Murray and filler for a better player. I know we have hopes for him getting better and more consistent but i doubt he has it in him to be a true star. Now is the time to trade him as his value is high. If we wait he might lose the alure and we will be stuck paying him a max or lose him for nothing.
skywalker33

Post#30 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Alatan wrote:We should not add someone that doesnt fit unless he is a perenial allstar.
Since those guys apparantly arent interested we should try and trade for Covington, Otto Porter and similar players. I have my doubts about Favors but if what some of you say is corect he could be a good replacement for Millsap.

Firstly id try to get Midleton or Butler. If that fails id try to trade and sign a combination of above mentioned players.

Lastly, even as this is not a popular opinion, id try to trade Murray and filler for a better player. I know we have hopes for him getting better and more consistent but i doubt he has it in him to be a true star. Now is the time to trade him as his value is high. If we wait he might lose the alure and we will be stuck paying him a max or lose him for nothing.

Well, Alatan, who do you think we could trade Murray for that's better than Murray, available, who won't kill our club chemistry and won't decimate the rest of the roster ????

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by Alatan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:26 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:We should not add someone that doesnt fit unless he is a perenial allstar.

Well, Alatan, who do you think we could trade Murray for that's better than Murray, available, who won't kill our club chemistry and won't decimate the rest of the roster ????

I like Butler but he has millage on him and might be a locker room problem. Jrue Holiday could be awesome and is the most realistic option. If Oklahoma falls apart id be interested in PG13. Even a sign and trade for Walker could be an option if he takes the normal max and we get to dump a few bad contracts.

I just dont think Murray has the explosiveness, handles and vision to be an elite guard while his inconsistent 3 point shooting and bad defense takes away from what he brings offensively to the team. He is not a bad player but not a star we need either.

I say trade him (and filler ofcourse) while he has value if we can get one of the players i mentioned or a player of similar caliber.
skywalker33

Post#32 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

I like Butler but he has millage on him and might be a locker room problem. Jrue Holiday could be awesome and is the most realistic option. If Oklahoma falls apart id be interested in PG13. Even a sign and trade for Walker could be an option if he takes the normal max and we get to dump a few bad contracts.

I just dont think Murray has the explosiveness, handles and vision to be an elite guard while his inconsistent 3 point shooting and bad defense takes away from what he brings offensively to the team. He is not a bad player but not a star we need either.

I say trade him (and filler ofcourse) while he has value if we can get one of the players i mentioned or a player of similar caliber.

I think we’re on the same page with Butler, great talent but he’s been a locker room disruption wherever he’s been, shame he could’ve been our Igudala. I could see Jrue but NOP really likes him, brings some stability/continuity to their fans. Same can be said for Olidipo, a guy I thought of that might fit . PG13 I’d take too, great 2-way guy.

That said, I do think you’re underestimating Jamal, kids solid, only 22 and showed in the playoffs what he can do, believe you’ll see more this year

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Alatan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

I think we’re on the same page with Butler, great talent but he’s been a locker room disruption wherever he’s been, shame he could’ve been our Igudala. I could see Jrue but NOP really likes him, brings some stability/continuity to their fans. Same can be said for Olidipo, a guy I thought of that might fit . PG13 I’d take too, great 2-way guy.

That said, I do think you’re underestimating Jamal, kids solid, only 22 and showed in the playoffs what he can do, believe you’ll see more this year

Hope i do.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#34 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:13 am

Nuggets reportedly have interest in Tobias Harris
Tyler Harris, Tobias' brother, will play with Nuggets in summer league
:rockon:

Finally some news and rumors I waiting for some long time! Nobody says Tobias is perfect, and even worse, to get him we are going to overpay him ($30M?). But that is the only way for a small market team to solve missing piece problem. We need NBA-TOP40 level forward to be a contender in the upcoming season, and this is it. This also means we are going to decline Millsap and dump Barton and Plumlee, which will probably cost us 2021 first, and create space for Millsap 45/3 new deal (I hope it will be 2+1 team option deal once again).

For me, our 2019 off-season priorities are positional, based on the roster, not on game plan and tactics. MPJ is too young and Millsap is too old. In normal circumstances, we should just be patient, and waiting for MPJ rises into a star after 2-3 if he is destined to be that good. But in this 2019-20 case, we have all reasons to hurry and rush things because one good forward is our missing piece to be a contender!
skywalker33

Post#35 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:35 am

Don’t get your hopes up too high Joker, odds aren’t good for that happening. I’m not a huge TH fan but does seem like an upgrade for the future.

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#36 » by TunaFish » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:57 am

Tobias Harris! That does make some sense given that he seemed to be pushed aside after the trade that brought him to Philly. He might be looking for another team where he can score, particularly a team that moves the ball like Denver.

We are talking about a max contract here. Millsap released and they would have to trade some contracts to add to that cap space as well. That last part would not be easy.

I guess the big question is whether Tobias Harris is worth a max.
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#37 » by Manolito » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:55 am

The Brooklyn Nets, Dallas, Denver, Memphis Grizzlies, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, and Sacramento Kings.

From that list, Nuggets are clearly the better team, maybe Dallas could be also interesting, but I see no reason why Tobias would prefer any of the above mentioned teams.

I am not a TH Fan, but this offseason is the one we have space to sign a top FA and this team clearly needs a Forward. He was kind of irrelevant during Sixers Play Off, but there were so many ballhogs there.

Barton and probably Juancho should be moved, it won't be easy.

Sent from my Aquaris M5 using RealGM mobile app
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#38 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:30 am

Manolito wrote: The Brooklyn Nets, Dallas, Denver, Memphis Grizzlies, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, and Sacramento Kings.

From that list, Nuggets are clearly the better team, maybe Dallas could be also interesting, but I see no reason why Tobias would prefer any of the above mentioned teams.

I am not a TH Fan, but this offseason is the one we have space to sign a top FA and this team clearly needs a Forward. He was kind of irrelevant during Sixers Play Off, but there were so many ballhogs there.

Barton and probably Juancho should be moved, it won't be easy.

Out of these teams, only Denver, Sacramento, and Memphis have the sense to overpaid Tobias with a max. Minnesota already has two max contracts, and forward line Wiggins-Covington is complete, unlike backcourt line after the loss of Butler and probably Rose. Only if they trade Wiggins TH-max have some sense. Nets since the relocation from New Jersey to Brooklyn are not small market anymore, they will probably offer even less than Sixers, and their only chance is the fact that TH is from NYC. Dallas better to be focused on G or C this summer after KP deal, and the same about Pelicans which future franchise player Zion by position is the same SF/PF combo forward. Memphis after trading Gasol and Conley will be under construction team next two seasons, so better to use cap space to get assets buying bad contracts, and make bold FA market move in the 2021 summer when JJJ and Mo will be ready to fight for the playoff.

So, this should be battle between Denver and Sacramento, with both young teams have legit reasons to overpaid Tobias with a max contract as their 'missing piece' for what they need the most right now.

BTW, another good thing about eventual TH arrival in Denver is the fact he can play SF/PF both forward spots because we still don't know which position will be best for the Porter Jr.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#39 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:48 am

Good thing of overpaying TH is that Barton is out of colorado and that we agreed(probably) on smaller but longer deal with Millsap. If we can also get some more serviceable center instead of Plumlee...wouldn't that be nice?

Murray, Morris, Goodwin
Harris, Beasley, Craig
Harris, MPJ, Craig
Millsap, Harris, Vanderbilt
Jokic, C, Millsap
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#40 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am

psimanic1 wrote:Good thing of overpaying TH is that Barton is out of colorado and that we agreed(probably) on smaller but longer deal with Millsap. If we can also get some more serviceable center instead of Plumlee...wouldn't that be nice?

Murray, Morris, Goodwin
Harris, Beasley, Craig
Harris, MPJ, Craig
Millsap, Harris, Vanderbilt
Jokic, C, Millsap

Plumlee is actually a very good backup option, but signing T.Harris for ~30M and re-signing Millsap for ~15M will not be possible with just ejecting Millsap team option and Barton dump. Plumlee 13M expiring salary is the way we can solve it, but I guess we will pay for that our 2021 first. The other option, the Gary Harris trade, have sense only if together with Tobias we also get some good guard this summer, because losing one Harris only to get other Harris will not be a big roster improvement at all (like when we get Millsap and improve PF spot, but lose Gallinari without recovering our SF spot). That is why signing Tobias means exit for expiring Plumlee too, not only for Barton.

Without Plumlee team needs a 15 mpg backup center option, but with Tobias and MPJ around, Millsap can play more center position minutes, Bol Bol and Welsh are there now, and after all, we can sign some cheap MLE (under 5M) backup center on FA market. Boban Marjanovic for example which was Tobias Harris best buddy during his Detroit, LA, and Philly days, and Boban is friend with Jokic too from Serbian NT and they share the same agent Misko Raznatovic. But I guess all depending on medical stuff estimations how early Bol Bol can be involved in a serious role.

Return to Denver Nuggets