ImageImageImage

Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#161 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:20 am

DaFan334 wrote:The game tonight shows you why he hasn't played much. There are times he looks so lost out there. I thought he had turned the corner a bit, but tonight he looked like he didn't belong out there. He has talent, but he is going to need some time.

Exactly right, well said.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#162 » by THE J0KER » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:42 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:The game tonight shows you why he hasn't played much. There are times he looks so lost out there. I thought he had turned the corner a bit, but tonight he looked like he didn't belong out there. He has talent, but he is going to need some time.

No, this game shows how *works* Malone scapegoat (or Blame Game) strategy on young players. Nurkic and Beasley look great in Portland and Minnesota literally since the very first day, but they didn't look so great at all in their final days and weeks in Denver with broken chemistry and status in the team. For 3pt Porter is 19-45 in bubble seeding games, 14-28 in the first 5 games of the playoff, and... just 1-14 in the last three games! Malone just killed shooting confidence of the team's most efficient shooter, and ironically, even with destroyed FG% and limited minutes, Porter is Nuggets leading player in +/- category in these three last games as the team's best rebounder. And during the season Denver has monster W-L winning stats in games MPJ played over 15 minutes, so the team would lose nothing if he played more. And wholes in his defense should be the reason why he should play more minutes this regular season because he is the rookie which missed his college career so how else to learn better defense without playing.

Miami was also a strong playoff team, their team and coach is known for elite defense, but since the first day of the season he maximizes playing time of rookies Nunn and Hero because that is the winning formula to make couple extra useful players for the playoff.

Neither Nurkic nor Beasley were rookies when they landed in POR/MIN, very poor example. This game was a game of exhaustion, we were emotionally spent. If you want to take it out of Malone, OK, he's not on my favorite list either. However, to think MPJ could've been a Savior, he's really still a rookie and you need time to develop as a rookie, he's NOT there yet.

I talked about the last three games, 1-14 for 3pt from our best 3pt shooter is not a small sample and is the legit reason for the panic button. And I didn't say Malone has a bad habit of killing confidence and chemistry of rookies, but of young players in general which he blacklisted (Nurkic and Beasley are under 22-23 old when left the team). And their superb early start in new teams tells that is not their bad shape to be blamed why they looked so bad in the final days in Denver, as well in Porter case we talking about a guy which is named all-bubble first team just two weeks ago.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#163 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:12 am

Some like Malone's approach to young players; I never have and have said so. It just seems to me like some young players can deal with Malone's approach better than others.

Malone gives his favorites plenty of PT even when they are playing bad but I remember during Murray's rookie year, Malone would yank him real quick if he made a mistake. I've always wondered if that has contributed to his inconsistency.

I understand Malone doesn't trust young players - with reason for sure. But the best way for players to develop is to play. Malone competes so hard for every game and even every quarter or every time down the court (either end), that he isn't willing to let them develop. There is no chance, in my opinion, for any Malone coached rookie to get ROY.

Porter's defense isn't good and right now, he probably won't get much PT and that's understandable. I wonder what would have happened if he'd been given 25 mpg or thereabouts. We'll never know.

But for right now, Porter is still not ready for NBA playoff time and even with recent struggles, his shooting in the playoffs is still better than the regular season. Defense indeed is the problem - hopefully that changes for next year.

But that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,781

Post#164 » by TunaFish » Sun Sep 6, 2020 9:03 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Some like Malone's approach to young players; I never have and have said so. It just seems to me like some young players can deal with Malone's approach better than others.

Malone gives his favorites plenty of PT even when they are playing bad but I remember during Murray's rookie year, Malone would yank him real quick if he made a mistake. I've always wondered if that has contributed to his inconsistency.

I understand Malone doesn't trust young players - with reason for sure. But the best way for players to develop is to play. Malone competes so hard for every game and even every quarter or every time down the court (either end), that he isn't willing to let them develop. There is no chance, in my opinion, for any Malone coached rookie to get ROY.

Porter's defense isn't good and right now, he probably won't get much PT and that's understandable. I wonder what would have happened if he'd been given 25 mpg or thereabouts. We'll never know.

But for right now, Porter is still not ready for NBA playoff time and even with recent struggles, his shooting in the playoffs is still better than the regular season. Defense indeed is the problem - hopefully that changes for next year.

I just re-watched game two (Clips) and I was struck by how much MPJ seems to be growing defensively. Not sure if this is an outlier but his confidence is growing and his positioning is improving. Too bad his shot is not falling but I would expect that to change soon as well. He is part of the regular rotation and he will likely continue to improve.
Canned in Denver.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#165 » by manchambo » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:16 pm

TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Some like Malone's approach to young players; I never have and have said so. It just seems to me like some young players can deal with Malone's approach better than others.

I just re-watched game two (Clips) and I was struck by how much MPJ seems to be growing defensively. Not sure if this is an outlier but his confidence is growing and his positioning is improving. Too bad his shot is not falling but I would expect that to change soon as well. He is part of the regular rotation and he will likely continue to improve.

Exactly. He’s showing flashes on defense. At 6 10 with freak athleticism he should be able to be disruptive and catch up on plays. He is starting to do those things. He is improving game to game, with totally expected lapses and bouts of nerves.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#166 » by THE J0KER » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:25 am

There is a disturbing pattern in the last 4 games with the Nuggets have every time a very good start lead by Joker and Murray, then it continues after Porter comes from the bench, but once MPJ was back on the bench again in 1st half, downhill starts for the Denver! I will not discuss this time why Porter is stripped from the starting lineup, but at least once he steps on the floor, he must play until the end of the 1st half, just like Lou Williams or Harrell doing it for the Clippers so often despite coming from the bench.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, here are numbers that speak for itself what DOWNHILL means in this case.

In the last 4 games at the moment when Malone puts Porter on the bench in the 1st half Denver was amazing +39 (194-155), but switching MPJ with Millsap lately in the 2nd quarter Malone killing the team's momentum every time so in the rest of these 1st halves Denver was pathetic -25 (38-63) or -57 (200-257) until the end of these games!? Porter numbers in these 1st halves are 7.3/4.5 in just 10 mpg (pace to 25-15 type of game "per 36 minutes"), so why is Porter limited on just 10.0 minutes in 1st halves when was so good in scoring and rebounding??? In the 2nd halves when he is under bigger pressure and frustrated by playing time he is not that effective, 3.8/3.5 in 10 mpg limited minutes again.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:32 am

THE J0KER wrote:There is a disturbing pattern ...

It's the same pattern we've lived with. Malone has his approach and every player must fit into his system. Young players don't play much and coach calls every play.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#168 » by Manolito » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:13 pm

MPJ is going to close out all the next games. We are struggling quite a lot in offense in fourth quarter. LAC are stopping Jamal with PG and Beverly (even Kawhi) and they know only Jokic will produce.

We need a third guy to step up offensively, and MPJ has already proven in this series he can make it. Of course he is still a liability in defense, but we need his offense very badly. Furthermore, Millsap barely delivered anything in the last minutes.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#169 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:24 pm

Manolito wrote:MPJ is going to close out all the next games. We are struggling quite a lot in offense in fourth quarter. LAC are stopping Jamal with PG and Beverly (even Kawhi) and they know only Jokic will produce.

We need a third guy to step up offensively, and MPJ has already proven in this series he can make it. Of course he is still a liability in defense, but we need his offense very badly. Furthermore, Millsap barely delivered anything in the last minutes.

Don't tell me, tell coach. :cheesygrin:
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#170 » by Manolito » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 am

Nuggets forward Michael Porter Jr. scored 13 of his 15 points in the second quarter. He didn't have a basket after halftime.

Asked what the Clippers did differently in the second half, Porter said: "I just didn't touch the ball. They didn't do anything differently."

" Michael Porter Jr., when asked what needs to happen when he's not touching the ball: "That's really up to the play calls, that's really up to the coaches who they want to put the ball in whose hands."
— Mike Singer (@msinger) September 10, 2020 "

I am glad he is talking that clear. Porter management from Malone has been pretty poor the whole season, the guy is stubborn as hell
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#171 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:52 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens this offseason, Malone does not like his players saying **** in the media, even if it is true. People forget he clashed with Chandler, Gallo, FAried, Beasley, Jameer Nelson, and of course Nurkic not long before they were all gone. Side note that seems like a lot of public clashes for a head coach in 5 years.

Reports were that Stan Kroenke was the one that made MPJ untouchable, which I have never heard of him doing in the past 20 years for any of our players. Malone may not win this battle for once, but I really do not know if I want a rookie being the one to force him out.
skywalker33

Post#172 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Realistically this needed to be said, perhaps not publicly but it is the truth Malone needs to hear. Haven’t heard if has responded but that’ll be interesting to see if his ego can handle it or if it’ll be the start of his demise.

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#173 » by Mickey8 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Well he was wrong in his assessment , Millsap and Grant were involved but they were so horrible, Jokic was doing good job passing when he was doubled but they were atrocious especially Grant , Porter was involved in the first half too, he should have started in the third quarter but that was the coach decision , he can't be mad at Jokic and Murray and he also have to earn his right to criticize his teammates publicly , for example when he completes entire season playing and contributing.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#174 » by THE J0KER » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 pm

This is bad as it seems.

It is so obvious Malone this playoff for some reason more tried to make a scapegoat of MPJ than help him to continue with his bubble breakthrough development. And Malone is a grandmaster to broke young player confidence when he blacklisted him. The last 10 games in Denver, Nurkic is just 5-4-1 (40%TS%) but already in the first 10 games in Portland, he is 15-10-4 (59%TS%). The last 10 games in Denver, Beasley is just 10-2-2 (47%TS%) but already in the first 10 games in Minnesota, he is 21-5-2 (60%TS%). The last 10 games in Denver, Juancho is just 4-4 (43%TS%) but already in the first 10 games in Minnesota, he is 14-7 (59%TS%). Malone knows how to made some youngsters look bad and create toxic encirclement around him. But the question is what is the point of fighting against own players and killing the team's assets for making them look bad, so the team can't use that player because he is in war with the coach, and the team can't trade him for the realistic price because his value is so damaged by Malone winning that dirty game. Such things should not exist in real life on the NBA pro-level, it is not soap opera or some high-school team where things are too personal.

And let's be clear, Porter is not right about this, this is not the way you should the speak out publically, and while he's feeling that the coaches badly handling with him during this playoff was correct, he can't be more wrong about asking for less Jokic and Murray in Denver's offense. The solution is not less Joker and Murray and more rest of the team, but more Porter and less the rest of the team. MPJ yesterday was 5-8, the rest of the team (excluding Jokic and Murray) was 5-22. In 2nd half yesterday (note that we lost this game already in 12-26 1st quarter, not in 2nd half), I was partly also disappointed in Jokic and Murray which control the ball, for listening all the time Malone calls and constantly give the advantage to less talented offensive options over Porter again and again. They are franchise players under the max contract, Malone for sure will not replace Jokic with Vonleh and Murray with Dozier because they ignored his orders a few times, he is not that crazy.

Personally, this is the last thing I want to see at the end of the season. Instead of basis and road to stardom of future BIG3 project in Denver, we have potentially bad blood in the locker room already.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 pm

I didn't really hear much criticism of the coaching. Sure, he said the coach calls the plays and that he didn't get the ball, but he also acknowledge that Jokic & Murray get most of the play calls and they're great players. This is nothing like when Nurkic was pouting. Porter just wants to play and I like that he speaks his mind. We need more assertive players.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:24 pm

I love Porter's attitude on the bench and even in the game, when someone else makes a great play, he has a fantastic smile as he celebrates with his teammates.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#177 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:49 am

Would you guys consider Kelly Oubre and Pick 10 for Porter?
skywalker33

Post#178 » by skywalker33 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:13 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Would you guys consider Kelly Oubre and Pick 10 for Porter?

Maybe if this was a good draft....but it's not. Hell No !!

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:04 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Would you guys consider Kelly Oubre and Pick 10 for Porter?

Let's look at it another way; would you trade Booker for Porter even if we threw in our 1st?
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#180 » by THE J0KER » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:12 am

Porter seems right now like one of three max-contract talents from his rookie class (with Zion and Morant), but deal around Porter and Ayton is useless for Nuggets which franchise player is canter already, Jokic.

But if Suns want to use Oubre to solve their big PF problem, Denver is actually right place for that! We can give you Bol Bol, Barton, and HOU#21 pick for Oubre and Bridges. Maybe today it is not so obvious that Bol Bol have highest ceiling out of all these players involved, but already before 2021 trade deadline it will be obvious.

Return to Denver Nuggets