ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#121 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:07 am

Guess Gordon Gross of DenverStiffs has been reading our forum, good article to support our thinking. Good read !

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2020/7/17/21328531/nba-positionless-basketball-the-future-or-a-waystation-denver-nuggets-jokic-bol-bol
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,777

Post#122 » by TunaFish » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:56 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Guess Gordon Gross of DenverStiffs has been reading our forum, good article to support our thinking. Good read !

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2020/7/17/21328531/nba-positionless-basketball-the-future-or-a-waystation-denver-nuggets-jokic-bol-bol

When I read that article, I thought posters here must have also read it and were talking abut it. Didn't realize the posters here were ahead of the curve. Nice catch.
Canned in Denver.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,539

Post#123 » by Alatan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 pm

I've been watching Bol Bol highlights again, and man we need to lock this guy down while we still can. He is amazing and considering the uncertainty in his future i think he would gladly accept a 4 year 10 million a year contract.

That would be huge for us. If he pans out and becomes an allstar having him on 10 a year would be incredible. On the other hands if he doesnt he can always be a backup big and 10 a year is not too much for a backup. Keep in mind that he is a PF and can fit really well with Jokic. Also I project MPJ to me more of a SF type due to the limitation of weight he can put up on his bad back and his decent handles for that position. That means that he and Bol dont compete for the same spot.

The fact that the NBA will have a financial squeeze helps our negotiation power right now while if we wait we can get ourselves in a tight spot.

Jokic
Bol
MPJ
Harris or someone bigger/better
Murray

Looks great.
skywalker33

Post#124 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Alatan wrote:I've been watching Bol Bol highlights again, and man we need to lock this guy down while we still can. He is amazing and considering the uncertainty in his future i think he would gladly accept a 4 year 10 million a year contract.

That would be huge for us. If he pans out and becomes an allstar having him on 10 a year would be incredible. On the other hands if he doesnt he can always be a backup big and 10 a year is not too much for a backup. Keep in mind that he is a PF and can fit really well with Jokic. Also I project MPJ to me more of a SF type due to the limitation of weight he can put up on his bad back and his decent handles for that position. That means that he and Bol dont compete for the same spot.

The fact that the NBA will have a financial squeeze helps our negotiation power right now while if we wait we can get ourselves in a tight spot.

Jokic
Bol
MPJ
Murray

Looks great.

I think we agree with Bol's potential, but you're only seeing the highlight. He definitely has the talent but will his health and stamina be a detriment ?? And while I agree the salary cap will be impacted, there will ALWAYS be someone who's willing to go over the cap and pay the tax if he is the talent we expect. To try to use that stance as a negotiating tactic seems foolish and disrespectful. An isn't he on team-friendly contract control for a quite a few more years ?? He is still on a 2-yr 2-way contract so still has a couple more cheap years IMO.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#125 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:27 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:I've been watching Bol Bol highlights again, and man we need to lock this guy down while we still can. He is amazing and considering the uncertainty in his future i think he would gladly accept a 4 year 10 million a year contract.

Jokic
Bol
MPJ
Murray

Looks great.

I think we agree with Bol's potential, but you're only seeing the highlight. He definitely has the talent but will his health and stamina be a detriment ?? And while I agree the salary cap will be impacted, there will ALWAYS be someone who's willing to go over the cap and pay the tax if he is the talent we expect. To try to use that stance as a negotiating tactic seems foolish and disrespectful. An isn't he on team-friendly contract control for a quite a few more years ?? He is still on a 2-yr 2-way contract so still has a couple more cheap years IMO.

How long until he can play Malone defense? I'm not worried about his offense. If Malone used his best offensive team, we'd be trying to out-score everyone and frankly, it just might work. But you know he wants defense (except for Barton).
skywalker33

Post#126 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 pm

How many rookies do play defense in the NBA. Bol's height and defensive timing bode well for him but the rigors of physical play in the NBA are the only thing holding him back (Perhaps he should change his last name to Barton ? ). Interestingly you bring up Barton (well, sorta) comparatively, doesn't Bol's physique remind you of a larger Barton ??

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#127 » by TunaFish » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:44 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Jokic
Bol
MPJ
Murray

Looks great.

How long until he can play Malone defense? I'm not worried about his offense. If Malone used his best offensive team, we'd be trying to out-score everyone and frankly, it just might work. But you know he wants defense (except for Barton).

Barton desires some credit for upping his defense this season, to my surprise. He was so bad in general the previous season that I didn't think he could improve at all but he did. He is not the weak link he used to be, imho.

Bol is a shot blocker but too light to play center in most lineups. From the power or small forward position he might be good on weak side help defense. I just hope he gets to play at all.

I am actually excited to watch the Nuggets play and think they might surprise some people.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#128 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:05 am

Seems Bol Bol is the talk around the Nuggets water-cooler, showing a lot of his abilities, even Malone has spoken kindly...of a ROOKIE no less !!

Read on Twitter

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#129 » by Alatan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 am

skywalker33 wrote:

Jokic
Bol
MPJ
Murray

Looks great.

I dont think its disrespectful giving to a rookie a deal on the same scale as a top 5 pick. For him thats a lot of money with witch he secures his future what ever happens. For the team its 7th man money at worst. On the other hand if we wait around for everyone to see him play and he is still on that g league deal that expires relatively shortly we might find our selves in the situation where we need to match a huge amount of money from some desperate team with nothing to lose and a ton of cap space.

I say again take the small gamble now before it becomes a huge gamble later.
skywalker33

Post#130 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Jokic
Bol
MPJ
Murray

Looks great.

I dont think its disrespectful giving to a rookie a deal on the same scale as a top 5 pick. For him thats a lot of money with witch he secures his future what ever happens. For the team its 7th man money at worst. On the other hand if we wait around for everyone to see him play and he is still on that g league deal that expires relatively shortly we might find our selves in the situation where we need to match a huge amount of money from some desperate team with nothing to lose and a ton of cap space.

I say again take the small gamble now before it becomes a huge gamble later.

Not saying offering that kinda money is disrespectful, I think it's disrespectful to bring up the declining salary cap to use against him is disrespectful, feels like your using it as a weapon against honestly negotiating with him. I do adhere to the point that signing him to big money while he's still under team salary control would be foolish, especially since he has done NOTHING YET in the NBA. Give him time to prove it and maintain that cheap salary while you can, when it's time to give him that bump to big money then do it. I am all about trying to get a good young player signed early but timing does have a big impact on a smaller market club.

skywalker33

Post#131 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:45 am

Guess Blazer20 isn't the only Bol Bol fans, got a little infatuation going on myself:

Read on Twitter

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#132 » by TunaFish » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:58 am

skywalker33 wrote:Guess Blazer20 isn't the only Bol Bol fans, got a little infatuation going on myself:

Read on Twitter

Just saw that video earlier. It looks like Bol is getting some minutes and he looks good from the limited views I have seen. Maybe he is a small forward, a very big small forward.

In that case, maybe they need to try MPJ at shooting guard. Imagine Murray (pg), MPJ (sg), Bol (sf), Grant (pf) and Jokic (anywhere he wants to play).
Canned in Denver.
Darklight
Junior
And1: 491

Post#133 » by Darklight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:12 pm

I haven't given my my two cents on Bol since we drafted him so I will do it now.
When we first drafted him and got him for some cash considerations I should have been happy that we got a high ceiling prospect for basically nothing, but the the thing is I wasn't happy even though I knew that was irrational. It got me thinking why that is and then I realised it was becuase of the rumors about his work ethic and drive/motor/love for the game. For me those are the biggest red flags a player can possibly have and why I knew Wiggins was gonna be a bust even when people held out hope.
(aside from that he is candian)

IMO it doesn't matter how talented or gifted a player is if they don't have the love for the game to go along with work ethic. I think for him it has to do that it was his height that pushed him towards basketball, like people saying "you are so tall you should play basketball" and his father being a former player, that would explain why he wouldn't have love for the game and work ethic. Now, this could be wrong but these rumors have been with him for a while and are too prevalent to be just ignored. For him the best thing was to honestly fall far in the draft becuase that might ignite some drive and passion in him and realise he has to work for it and if that's the case it will only benfit/improve our team so I'm good :D

He has a unique skillset with his height, lenght, touch and shooting, it's a bit like Porzingis to be honest.
(not saying he will ever be that level of player) I'm more worried about him on the defensive end and how he will hold up.

He has the size and can block a ton of shots but that frame of his is still too weak for the NBA. He will get bullied around by centers, for me he is a stretch 4 at the NBA level. His frame is a double edged sword it's what makes him unique but also might be his downfall. He is from Sudan and has that type of long and skinny frame that won't be able to put on much muscles altough weight is another thing. I look foward to the scrimmage and to see what he will do. One thing to watch is for is his screens, they are trash becuase of his skinny ass frame and something he has to improve on and that will drive the players and Malone crazy.
Man, I have my Liverpool playing today around the same time but will try to watch atleast the Bol Bol mins.
skywalker33

Post#134 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:10 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Guess Blazer20 isn't the only Bol Bol fans, got a little infatuation going on myself:

Read on Twitter

Just saw that video earlier. It looks like Bol is getting some minutes and he looks good from the limited views I have seen. Maybe he is a small forward, a very big small forward.

In that case, maybe they need to try MPJ at shooting guard. Imagine Murray (pg), MPJ (sg), Bol (sf), Grant (pf) and Jokic (anywhere he wants to play).

Wouldn't that be a unique lineup !

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#135 » by Alatan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Darklight wrote:I haven't given my my two cents on Bol since we drafted him so I will do it now.
When we first drafted him and got him for some cash considerations I should have been happy that we got a high ceiling prospect for basically nothing, but the the thing is I wasn't happy even though I knew that was irrational. It got me thinking why that is and then I realised it was becuase of the rumors about his work ethic and drive/motor/love for the game. For me those are the biggest red flags a player can possibly have and why I knew Wiggins was gonna be a bust even when people held out hope.
(aside from that he is candian)

IMO it doesn't matter how talented or gifted a player is if they don't have the love for the game to go along with work ethic. I think for him it has to do that it was his height that pushed him towards basketball, like people saying "you are so tall you should play basketball" and his father being a former player, that would explain why he wouldn't have love for the game and work ethic. Now, this could be wrong but these rumors have been with him for a while and are too prevalent to be just ignored. For him the best thing was to honestly fall far in the draft becuase that might ignite some drive and passion in him and realise he has to work for it and if that's the case it will only benfit/improve our team so I'm good :D

He has a unique skillset with his height, lenght, touch and shooting, it's a bit like Porzingis to be honest.
(not saying he will ever be that level of player) I'm more worried about him on the defensive end and how he will hold up.

He has the size and can block a ton of shots but that frame of his is still too weak for the NBA. He will get bullied around by centers, for me he is a stretch 4 at the NBA level. His frame is a double edged sword it's what makes him unique but also might be his downfall. He is from Sudan and has that type of long and skinny frame that won't be able to put on much muscles altough weight is another thing. I look foward to the scrimmage and to see what he will do. One thing to watch is for is his screens, they are trash becuase of his skinny ass frame and something he has to improve on and that will drive the players and Malone crazy.
Man, I have my Liverpool playing today around the same time but will try to watch atleast the Bol Bol mins.

I've heard about this rumor but i have no idea where from did it originate. I watched an interview with Bol some time ago where he talks about his youth and his dad. And he did mention that when he was a young kid he didnt really like playing basketball but then he got used to it. As time went on he learned the game and started to like it especially since it meant so much for his late father who he seems to miss a lot. The thing that stuck with me was when he said how he knows his father was a good NBA defender and that once he gets to the NBA he also wants to be a good defender so his father would be proud of him. That is some good motivation if you ask me.
Darklight
Junior
And1: 491

Post#136 » by Darklight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Alatan wrote:I've heard about this rumor but i have no idea where from did it originate. I watched an interview with Bol some time ago where he talks about his youth and his dad. And he did mention that when he was a young kid he didnt really like playing basketball but then he got used to it. As time went on he learned the game and started to like it especially since it meant so much for his late father who he seems to miss a lot. The thing that stuck with me was when he said how he knows his father was a good NBA defender and that once he gets to the NBA he also wants to be a good defender so his father would be proud of him. That is some good motivation if you ask me.

Idk either where it orginated from but it's a opinion that has carried on and a stigma he still has and didn't manage to get rid of even in college so it has some merit. If you look at youtube draft profiles etc they mention those things. A good thing is that Jokic praised him and said "he likes to compete" and jamal praising his hustle so that's a good start, but for me seeing is beliving.
I will make up my own judgement seeing him play and not by their words after all talk is cheap. I'm more intrested in his "lowlights" then his highlights I know some of the stuff he can do on offense but I have never seen him play outside of highligts, G-league and collegue HLs are not enough. I need to see how he holds up in a game on switches, team d etc but even DPOY caliber player like gobert get exposed somewhat in the pick & roll but you can't get burned on every possession.
skywalker33

Post#137 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Darklight wrote:
Alatan wrote:I've heard about this rumor but i have no idea where from did it originate. I watched an interview with Bol some time ago where he talks about his youth and his dad. And he did mention that when he was a young kid he didnt really like playing basketball but then he got used to it. As time went on he learned the game and started to like it especially since it meant so much for his late father who he seems to miss a lot. The thing that stuck with me was when he said how he knows his father was a good NBA defender and that once he gets to the NBA he also wants to be a good defender so his father would be proud of him. That is some good motivation if you ask me.

Idk either where it orginated from but it's a opinion that has carried on and a stigma he still has and didn't manage to get rid of even in college so it has some merit. If you look at youtube draft profiles etc they mention those things. A good thing is that is that Jokic praised him and said "he likes to compete" and jamal praising his hustle so that's a good start, but for me seeing is beliving.
I will make up my own judgement seeing him play and not by their words after all talk is cheap. I'm more intrested in his "lowlights" then his highlights I know some of the stuff he can do on offense but I have never seen him play outside of highligts, G-league and collegue HLs are not enough. I need to see how he holds up in a game on switches, team d etc but even DPOY caliber player like gobert get exposed somewhat in the pick & roll but you can't get burned on every possession.

To add on, I believe Bol played at Oregon at 255lbs which is where I’d like to see him play,feel he’d be ok at that point. And his dad played many years in a much more physical NBA than what Bol will be playing in. Plus, Malone, someone who is seeing him daily now and whose opinion matters, is raving about his talent. Jokic, Plumlee, Murray they’re all speaking highly of him as well. I’ll take their word on the kid, they’re actually playing against him in practice. Honestly, if I were MPJ I’d get my butt to Orlando ASAP

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#138 » by Alatan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Yeah, he doesnt strike me as someone who doesnt like basketball. Ive seen him slack on the occasional play here and there but overall id say he has a decent motor and a will to compete on both sides of the floor. As Skywalker33 said, id trust the word of his teammates and coach more than rumors on the internet.
His motor does sometimes look lacking but as a young, skinny seven footer its natural for him to have a bit of stamina issues that might sometimes look like poor motor. Once he gets into NBA shape he will be fine. What concerns me the most is that he is a bit contact averse, witch is again somewhat understandable since he is said young, skinny guy. I dont know will he ever be able to become tough enough to handle the physicality of the NBA but I really hope he can. We have seen him being able to put on some weight and considering he is more of a skill based player with great length 230-240 lbs should be enough for him at the PF spot. Considering his foots stress fracture anything more than that could be a negative. Due to his high center of gravity and skinny frame it would be a mistake to force him to be a center.
At 7 2 he might look strange at the PF spot but he is really mobile and long so he can handle the perimeter guys. In the micro ball 5 out era, it might be a bit difficult playing 2 7 footers together but Id say its easier to find a defensive scheme where 2 skilled, long bigs can survive small ball than it is for the small ball team to defend two skilled centers in their paint. After all 3 might be more than 2 but a 100% 2 is more than a 40% 3.

I agree with Darklight that we need to see much more of him but from what i scrapped together the future is bright.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#139 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Alatan wrote:Yeah, he doesnt strike me as someone who doesnt like basketball. Ive seen him slack on the occasional play here and there but overall id say he has a decent motor and a will to compete on both sides of the floor. As Skywalker33 said, id trust the word of his teammates and coach more than rumors on the internet.
His motor does sometimes look lacking but as a young, skinny seven footer its natural for him to have a bit of stamina issues that might sometimes look like poor motor. Once he gets into NBA shape he will be fine. What concerns me the most is that he is a bit contact averse, witch is again somewhat understandable since he is said young, skinny guy. I dont know will he ever be able to become tough enough to handle the physicality of the NBA but I really hope he can. We have seen him being able to put on some weight and considering he is more of a skill based player with great length 230-240 lbs should be enough for him at the PF spot. Considering his foots stress fracture anything more than that could be a negative. Due to his high center of gravity and skinny frame it would be a mistake to force him to be a center.
At 7 2 he might look strange at the PF spot but he is really mobile and long so he can handle the perimeter guys. In the micro ball 5 out era, it might be a bit difficult playing 2 7 footers together but Id say its easier to find a defensive scheme where 2 skilled, long bigs can survive small ball than it is for the small ball team to defend two skilled centers in their paint. After all 3 might be more than 2 but a 100% 2 is more than a 40% 3.

I agree with Darklight that we need to see much more of him but from what i scrapped together the future is bright.

They said a lot of those things about his father - but Bol Bol is more skilled and so forth since he's played in the USA and his father had not played much when he was young. If he can be as effective at PF as his father was at center, I'll be happy.
skywalker33

Post#140 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Scrimmage in the bubble vs. the Wizards, your Denver Nuggets starting lineup:

PG 7-0 Nikola Jokic
SG 6-9 Jerami Grant
C 6-11 Mason Plumlee
PF 6-8 Paul Millsap
SF (oh the irony) 7-2 Bol Bol

Maybe Malone read this thread already, we we're ahead of this game.

Bol has 5pt/2rebs/3blk in the 1st period (which are only 10 mins)

Return to Denver Nuggets