ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderator: THE J0KER

Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,967
And1: 2,024
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#241 » by Richard Miller » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:47 pm

Those highlights are all on the offense though and his offense is not really a problem - how he performs on the defense was always going to be the difference, is he playable or not.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,383
And1: 9,039
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#242 » by The Rebel » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:59 pm

Why is it that Bol only seems to play well in garbage time or meaningless games? I think we need to get him with a sport psychologist maybe there is some kind of weird mental block where he cannot produce in meaningful minutes.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,330
And1: 61,406
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#243 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:32 pm

The Rebel wrote:Why is it that Bol only seems to play well in garbage time or meaningless games? I think we need to get him with a sport psychologist maybe there is some kind of weird mental block where he cannot produce in meaningful minutes.


when has he been given meaningful minutes?
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,383
And1: 9,039
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#244 » by The Rebel » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Why is it that Bol only seems to play well in garbage time or meaningless games? I think we need to get him with a sport psychologist maybe there is some kind of weird mental block where he cannot produce in meaningful minutes.


when has he been given meaningful minutes?

He was handed meaningful minutes to start last season and lost them quickly. His lack of defensive awareness and inability to actually fit in an office where he is not the 1st option were both glaring.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,330
And1: 61,406
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#245 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:31 pm

The Rebel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Why is it that Bol only seems to play well in garbage time or meaningless games? I think we need to get him with a sport psychologist maybe there is some kind of weird mental block where he cannot produce in meaningful minutes.


when has he been given meaningful minutes?

He was handed meaningful minutes to start last season and lost them quickly. His lack of defensive awareness and inability to actually fit in an office where he is not the 1st option were both glaring.


lol wut?

Game 1: DNP
Game 2: 5 minutes
Game 3: 5 minutes
Game 4: 3 minutes
Game 5: DNP
Game 6: DNP
Game 7: DNP
Game 8: DNP
Game 9: 2 minutes
Game 10: 3 minutes

so many meaningful and consistent minutes there, I for one am shocked he wasn't able to get comfortable within the offensive scheme and defensively with so much leeway to go out there and actually play.

:-?
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,967
And1: 2,024
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#246 » by Richard Miller » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:so many meaningful and consistent minutes there, I for one am shocked he wasn't able to get comfortable within the offensive scheme and defensively with so much leeway to go out there and actually play.

:-?


There has to be something else too that it's not visible to common fans, i.e. whatever he does in practice and so on. Tbh, McGee also didn't get any minutes and Hartenstein too, though in his case he was fouling out like crazy and turning the ball over, so not surprising I guess. It was also reported that both JaMychal and Millsap weren't happy with their minutes either, so someone like Bol (who also sees himself as PF) would probably need to play out of his mind to get minutes over them.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 12,174
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#247 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:so many meaningful and consistent minutes there, I for one am shocked he wasn't able to get comfortable within the offensive scheme and defensively with so much leeway to go out there and actually play.


Take into consideration Malone is very quick to pull a young player if he feels he's not putting forth the proper defensive effort, even MPJ got pulled early and often in his career so far.

That said, Bol seemed to have some decent games in the Summer League, will he be able to translate that to some training camp mins, that'll be a good question. I do think Bol can add something to the bench unit but he'll have to gain some focus, he does have the, dare I say it, POTENTIAL to be a game changer.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,330
And1: 61,406
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#248 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:45 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:so many meaningful and consistent minutes there, I for one am shocked he wasn't able to get comfortable within the offensive scheme and defensively with so much leeway to go out there and actually play.


Take into consideration Malone is very quick to pull a young player if he feels he's not putting forth the proper defensive effort, even MPJ got pulled early and often in his career so far.

That said, Bol seemed to have some decent games in the Summer League, will he be able to translate that to some training camp mins, that'll be a good question. I do think Bol can add something to the bench unit but he'll have to gain some focus, he does have the, dare I say it, POTENTIAL to be a game changer.


u can't really create an environment where young players are completely scared of making a mistake or else they'd get pulled from games and get DNPs after...young players will make mistakes you have to allow them to play thru it and get that confidence. you can't focus if all ur thinkin about is making the wrong play because u dont want to get pulled.
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 12,174
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#249 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:so many meaningful and consistent minutes there, I for one am shocked he wasn't able to get comfortable within the offensive scheme and defensively with so much leeway to go out there and actually play.


Take into consideration Malone is very quick to pull a young player if he feels he's not putting forth the proper defensive effort, even MPJ got pulled early and often in his career so far.

That said, Bol seemed to have some decent games in the Summer League, will he be able to translate that to some training camp mins, that'll be a good question. I do think Bol can add something to the bench unit but he'll have to gain some focus, he does have the, dare I say it, POTENTIAL to be a game changer.


u can't really create an environment where young players are completely scared of making a mistake or else they'd get pulled from games and get DNPs after...young players will make mistakes you have to allow them to play thru it and get that confidence. you can't focus if all ur thinkin about is making the wrong play because u dont want to get pulled.


You also cannot expect a Head Coach, whose job is to win games, to allow mistakes to be continually made. And considering the money these athletes are paid, they need to get it right sooner than later. Meaningful minutes are earned, not given.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,330
And1: 61,406
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#250 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:30 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Take into consideration Malone is very quick to pull a young player if he feels he's not putting forth the proper defensive effort, even MPJ got pulled early and often in his career so far.

That said, Bol seemed to have some decent games in the Summer League, will he be able to translate that to some training camp mins, that'll be a good question. I do think Bol can add something to the bench unit but he'll have to gain some focus, he does have the, dare I say it, POTENTIAL to be a game changer.


u can't really create an environment where young players are completely scared of making a mistake or else they'd get pulled from games and get DNPs after...young players will make mistakes you have to allow them to play thru it and get that confidence. you can't focus if all ur thinkin about is making the wrong play because u dont want to get pulled.


You also cannot expect a Head Coach, whose job is to win games, to allow mistakes to be continually made. And considering the money these athletes are paid, they need to get it right sooner than later. Meaningful minutes are earned, not given.


then trade him...if there are no minutes on this Denver team for him to be able to evolve and develop and go thru tough stretches as a young player then there is no space for him on this team.

and he's CLEARLY earned more minutes...per36 for his career so far: 16 pts / 5.5 rebs / 1.5asts / 2.3 blks on 45/39/72...and that's with Malone doing everything in his power Bol DOESNT develop...how many first two year players are posting these kinds of numbers in their first two seasons?

and a coaches job isn't just to win games...it's to develop young talent. guess what? sometimes that can come at the cost of a couple of games or and there...who cares if the other side of it means ud get a fully functioning Bol Bol on your roster? but Malone has always been shortsighted, look @ how he treated Jokic early with his stupid ass minutes limit he had on him for some reason.
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 12,174
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#251 » by skywalker33 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:26 am

clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
u can't really create an environment where young players are completely scared of making a mistake or else they'd get pulled from games and get DNPs after...young players will make mistakes you have to allow them to play thru it and get that confidence. you can't focus if all ur thinkin about is making the wrong play because u dont want to get pulled.


You also cannot expect a Head Coach, whose job is to win games, to allow mistakes to be continually made. And considering the money these athletes are paid, they need to get it right sooner than later. Meaningful minutes are earned, not given.


then trade him...if there are no minutes on this Denver team for him to be able to evolve and develop and go thru tough stretches as a young player then there is no space for him on this team.

and he's CLEARLY earned more minutes...per36 for his career so far: 16 pts / 5.5 rebs / 1.5asts / 2.3 blks on 45/39/72...and that's with Malone doing everything in his power Bol DOESNT develop...how many first two year players are posting these kinds of numbers in their first two seasons?

and a coaches job isn't just to win games...it's to develop young talent. guess what? sometimes that can come at the cost of a couple of games or and there...who cares if the other side of it means ud get a fully functioning Bol Bol on your roster? but Malone has always been shortsighted, look @ how he treated Jokic early with his stupid ass minutes limit he had on him for some reason.


OK, send us your 1st round pick, sure we'd be happy to oblige. You look at the facade of another teams players and think you know crap about this team based upon what, Summer League, then tell us to trade him, what a jerk move. Maybe we should bench Jokic to give him minutes, geez louise
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,967
And1: 2,024
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#252 » by Richard Miller » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:29 am

clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
u can't really create an environment where young players are completely scared of making a mistake or else they'd get pulled from games and get DNPs after...young players will make mistakes you have to allow them to play thru it and get that confidence. you can't focus if all ur thinkin about is making the wrong play because u dont want to get pulled.


You also cannot expect a Head Coach, whose job is to win games, to allow mistakes to be continually made. And considering the money these athletes are paid, they need to get it right sooner than later. Meaningful minutes are earned, not given.


then trade him...if there are no minutes on this Denver team for him to be able to evolve and develop and go thru tough stretches as a young player then there is no space for him on this team.


Yea, except nobody's exactly shopping for him, otherwise he would've been gone by now most likely
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,330
And1: 61,406
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#253 » by clyde21 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:35 am

skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
You also cannot expect a Head Coach, whose job is to win games, to allow mistakes to be continually made. And considering the money these athletes are paid, they need to get it right sooner than later. Meaningful minutes are earned, not given.


then trade him...if there are no minutes on this Denver team for him to be able to evolve and develop and go thru tough stretches as a young player then there is no space for him on this team.

and he's CLEARLY earned more minutes...per36 for his career so far: 16 pts / 5.5 rebs / 1.5asts / 2.3 blks on 45/39/72...and that's with Malone doing everything in his power Bol DOESNT develop...how many first two year players are posting these kinds of numbers in their first two seasons?

and a coaches job isn't just to win games...it's to develop young talent. guess what? sometimes that can come at the cost of a couple of games or and there...who cares if the other side of it means ud get a fully functioning Bol Bol on your roster? but Malone has always been shortsighted, look @ how he treated Jokic early with his stupid ass minutes limit he had on him for some reason.


OK, send us your 1st round pick, sure we'd be happy to oblige. You look at the facade of another teams players and think you know crap about this team based upon what, Summer League, then tell us to trade him, what a jerk move. Maybe we should bench Jokic to give him minutes, geez louise


odd take...GL with that...and with that **** attitude towards ur players...hope he gets the **** outta Denver stat
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 12,174
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#254 » by skywalker33 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 am

clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
then trade him...if there are no minutes on this Denver team for him to be able to evolve and develop and go thru tough stretches as a young player then there is no space for him on this team.

and he's CLEARLY earned more minutes...per36 for his career so far: 16 pts / 5.5 rebs / 1.5asts / 2.3 blks on 45/39/72...and that's with Malone doing everything in his power Bol DOESNT develop...how many first two year players are posting these kinds of numbers in their first two seasons?

and a coaches job isn't just to win games...it's to develop young talent. guess what? sometimes that can come at the cost of a couple of games or and there...who cares if the other side of it means ud get a fully functioning Bol Bol on your roster? but Malone has always been shortsighted, look @ how he treated Jokic early with his stupid ass minutes limit he had on him for some reason.


OK, send us your 1st round pick, sure we'd be happy to oblige. You look at the facade of another teams players and think you know crap about this team based upon what, Summer League, then tell us to trade him, what a jerk move. Maybe we should bench Jokic to give him minutes, geez louise


odd take...GL with that...and with that **** attitude towards ur players...hope he gets the **** outta Denver stat


Don't let the door hit that stupid ass of your on the way out...go say some stupid things in your own forum, they're probably used to it by now.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
TunaFish
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,088
And1: 4,582
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#255 » by TunaFish » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:48 am

Richard Miller wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
You also cannot expect a Head Coach, whose job is to win games, to allow mistakes to be continually made. And considering the money these athletes are paid, they need to get it right sooner than later. Meaningful minutes are earned, not given.


then trade him...if there are no minutes on this Denver team for him to be able to evolve and develop and go thru tough stretches as a young player then there is no space for him on this team.


Yea, except nobody's exactly shopping for him, otherwise he would've been gone by now most likely


Bol has strengths and some obvious weaknesses. In the past, he was the primary on-ball player and it is difficult to break him of some bad habits that plague his game so far. Adding a coach like KMart may be just the instruction he needs.

Historically, Denver has a history of working to improve young players, so assuming he would be better off elsewhere is a fallacy. Denver does not turn over its roster often and with coaches committed to player development, progress is expected. Every year we see improvement from most Denver players (including Jokic, Murray and MPJ). They are not going to give up a prospect in development for free but they will trade for an improvement.
Canned in Denver.
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,967
And1: 2,024
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#256 » by Richard Miller » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:54 am

TunaFish wrote:Historically, Denver has a history of working to improve young players, so assuming he would be better off elsewhere is a fallacy. Denver does not turn over its roster often and with coaches committed to player development, progress is expected. Every year we see improvement from most Denver players (including Jokic, Murray and MPJ). They are not going to give up a prospect in development for free but they will trade for an improvement.


Yea, but he played much less than the 2-ways on the team, I haven't checked the exact minutes but I think he's firmly at the end of the bench. I'm not saying they gave up on him, but if there were any sort of offer (or if they could've included him in the Gordon trade instead of RJ) I think he would've been gone already.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 12,174
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#257 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:38 pm

With training camp opening up in the next 10 days or so, this will be an interesting camp for Bol. The Nuggets attempted to showcase him in SL, will that motivate him enough to show up ? The guy has some skills, did he learn enough of what is expected of him to become a pro and get some mins this year, be a perfect time for both him AND the team if he did.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
TunaFish
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,088
And1: 4,582
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#258 » by TunaFish » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:16 pm

I am seeing some camp reports that Bol and Bones are clicking well. Bol appears to be picking up his game with more intensity and Bones is playing point.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 12,174
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#259 » by skywalker33 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 3:20 am

In the first TC scrimmage, Bol Bol seems to be the most intriguing player. Malone states he seems more focused and is looking to be doing what the coaches are instructing. Guys first on the court, last to leave. Looks like MPJ really has got into this guy's ear.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,967
And1: 2,024
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#260 » by Richard Miller » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:05 pm

He did look good occasionally in the past, hope he can finally do it consistently enough.

Return to Denver Nuggets