No
65%

Total votes: 20

BengalUND
Ballboy
And1: 11

THE NUGGETS HAVE THE BEST ROSTER IN THE LEAGUE 

Post#1 » by BengalUND » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02 pm

People are freaking out over the fact that AD went to the Lakers, and now the Lakers are favored by Vegas to win it all. Personally, I think that is completely ridiculous. Aside from AD, Lebron, and Kuz, the lakers literally have nobody. Meanwhile, I think the Nuggets sport the most well rounded and filled out roster in the entire league. And with KD and Klay most likely missing a good chunk of the season next year, I think the Nuggets are pretty much a lock to at least win the West. I made a video talking about this as well. No pressure to watch, just figured I would share. Let me know what you guys think.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: THE NUGGETS HAVE THE BEST ROSTER IN THE LEAGUE 

Post#2 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Welcome to Nuggets land on RealGM BengalUND.

Creating polls is always a challenge and there is always someone that will say, "should have added..." and I'm going to do just that. The problem is, I'm not certain what vote I would like.

Nuggets have the best young roster
Nuggets have the best roster for the long haul
Nuggets have the best roster if you don't count the Warriors injured players :wink:

Whatever, I truly like our roster best and while I'm not convinced we should be favored to win the West or a championship, I believe it's within reach. If our players develop this year and Porter and/or Vanderbilt and/or Bol live up to their potential (even just one of them, which I expect); then yup, I'll vote "Nuggets will win the west"!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,516

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:12 am

We need to add one notable forward for that. Compared to last season I expect from our two best players to be even better, actually significantly better, with Jokic playing 34-35 mpg instead of 30, and with much more consistent Murray as established 20-5-5 player. Plus, I hope Harris will be more healthy. So, our great guards and the center line will be even better in the upcoming season, but we currently have a mess on forwards spots, with Millsap continues declining with ages, and MPJ is too young for a big impact on SF spot. SF players need some time to improve, even if MPJ is future all-star odds are small that he is going to be notable good already as a rookie in an elite team. Except LBJ and KD no other active SF have a notable rookie year. Giannis started a career with 7-4-2, Kawhi with 8-5-1, George 8-4-1, Butler is 3ppg invisible as a rookie, Middleton 6-2-1... etc...

But the biggest problem is related to the other West contenders. West is going to be more competitive next season compared to last season where surprisingly early all TOP8 playoffs teams are known, and with GSW in deep troubles, everyone will try to get better seed spot, unlike last season where WC teams have other priorities. So, we will need to play better to repeat 54 wins and way much better for 60-wins mark, which probably will be requested for WC#1 next season. Houston is almost the same team which 2017-18 reach 65 wins mark. Seem they will dump CP3 and take another big star instead (Butler?). Clippers if build team around Kawhi also have the shot. Lakers have two superstars and OKC two big stars. Utah improved with Conley, and some reports say that Portland (53 wins last season) starting center Nurkic recovering well. GSW seem dead, but what if they S&T KD and add some interesting pieces to Curry and Dray?

I see us as TOP4 team on West, but without Nuggets improving forward spot, Houston is clearly favorite to be better in the regular season, while Lakers in the playoff (and we still don't know how Clippers will look this season).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:34 am

THE J0KER wrote:We need to add one notable forward for that. Compared to last season I expect from our two best players to be even better, actually significantly better, with Jokic playing 34-35 mpg instead of 30, and with much more consistent Murray as established 20-5-5 player. Plus, I hope Harris will be more healthy. So, our great guards and the center line will be even better in the upcoming season, but we currently have a mess on forwards spots, with Millsap continues declining with ages, and MPJ is too young for a big impact on SF spot. SF players need some time to improve, even if MPJ is future all-star odds are small that he is going to be notable good already as a rookie in an elite team. Except LBJ and KD no other active SF have a notable rookie year. Giannis started a career with 7-4-2, Kawhi with 8-5-1, George 8-4-1, Butler is 3ppg invisible as a rookie, Middleton 6-2-1... etc...

But the biggest problem is related to the other West contenders. West is going to be more competitive next season compared to last season where surprisingly early all TOP8 playoffs teams are known, and with GSW in deep troubles, everyone will try to get better seed spot, unlike last season where WC teams have other priorities. So, we will need to play better to repeat 54 wins and way much better for 60-wins mark, which probably will be requested for WC#1 next season. Houston is almost the same team which 2017-18 reach 65 wins mark. Seem they will dump CP3 and take another big star instead (Butler?). Clippers if build team around Kawhi also have the shot. Lakers have two superstars and OKC two big stars. Utah improved with Conley, and some reports say that Portland (53 wins last season) starting center Nurkic recovering well. GSW seem dead, but what if they S&T KD and add some interesting pieces to Curry and Dray?

I see us as TOP4 team on West, but without Nuggets improving forward spot, Houston is clearly favorite to be better in the regular season, while Lakers in the playoff (and we still don't know how Clippers will look this season).

Hmmm, let's see, how can we improve our forward slots? Why not try a couple of young, athletic forwards that stand around 6'10" with 7' wingspans? Perhaps an athletic center that is 7'2" with a 7'8" wingspan will be able to play? Maybe play a young 6'5" SG at SF? Even better, stop playing a certain other guard at SF.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#5 » by Coeur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:We need to add one notable forward for that. Compared to last season I expect from our two best players to be even better, actually significantly better, with Jokic playing 34-35 mpg instead of 30, and with much more consistent Murray as established 20-5-5 player. Plus, I hope Harris will be more healthy. So, our great guards and the center line will be even better in the upcoming season, but we currently have a mess on forwards spots, with Millsap continues declining with ages, and MPJ is too young for a big impact on SF spot. SF players need some time to improve, even if MPJ is future all-star odds are small that he is going to be notable good already as a rookie in an elite team. Except LBJ and KD no other active SF have a notable rookie year. Giannis started a career with 7-4-2, Kawhi with 8-5-1, George 8-4-1, Butler is 3ppg invisible as a rookie, Middleton 6-2-1... etc...

Hmmm, let's see, how can we improve our forward slots? Why not try a couple of young, athletic forwards that stand around 6'10" with 7' wingspans? Perhaps an athletic center that is 7'2" with a 7'8" wingspan will be able to play? Maybe play a young 6'5" SG at SF? Even better, stop playing a certain other guard at SF.

Mpj and Vanderbilt both have golden opportunity right now.

I really want to sign Carmelo. When Carmelo was in his prime I kept thinking about how the Nugs could get the perfect guy to pair w him. Jokic would have been it. Jokic is such a good passer in high low situations that any power3 or 4 types are going to be in a great situation to score. Jabari Parker could be another free version that could be super productive playing off Jokic

Obviously wanting to set mpj and Vanderbilt up right is best. But if Carmelo was brought in for 2-3 years and scored a couple thousand more points it’s a Hall or Fame Denver Nugget. ESP when the Nugs win a title
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Coeur wrote:I really want to sign Carmelo. When Carmelo was in his prime I kept thinking about how the Nugs could get the perfect guy to pair w him. Jokic would have been it. Jokic is such a good passer in high low situations that any power3 or 4 types are going to be in a great situation to score. Jabari Parker could be another free version that could be super productive playing off Jokic

Obviously wanting to set mpj and Vanderbilt up right is best. But if Carmelo was brought in for 2-3 years and scored a couple thousand more points it’s a Hall or Fame Denver Nugget. ESP when the Nugs win a title

Melo is one of the greatest scorers in the history of the NBA in my opinion, but he is a ball-stopping black-hole. He does not need a great pass from Jokic in order to score. He prefers to catch the ball, get set and then figure out how he is going to score. It's very effective for him but I don't believe it would work on the current Nuggets team.

Jabari Parker would benefit from playing with Jokic, no doubt about it - but then so would every other player in the NBA. Reports are that Parker had a poor attitude in Chicago and Milwaukee. When Utah was looking at him last year, he said "Jabari is all about getting buckets". His reputation is a player that does not play defense.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#7 » by Coeur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 pm

The most unstoppable Carmelo ever was when he was really young playing around the basket with Camby at the top of the key.

Carmelo signing is if he gets what you want out of him. And id tell him I want him around the basket. Score at the basket. Not on the perimeter handling the ball.

I want to see him as high on the career scoring list. I think what Denver offers him is the best he could find if they did want him. They want him to score and rebound. And they give him a winner reputation to finish out his career?
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#8 » by NetsWorld » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:57 am

As of today, with Kawhi and PG13 IN LA, it's tough to say, I still personally believe Denver can beat the Lakers but Leonard and George are certainly game changers for the Clippers. They have become, in my opinion, the favorites to win it all with those two plus their depth chart. The West will be a lot of fun, Utah improved and Mitchell is only gonna get better, OKC has regressed and is in rebuild mode, and rightfully so as the team was going no where with that roster.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:26 pm

KD35Netted wrote:As of today, with Kawhi and PG13 IN LA, it's tough to say, I still personally believe Denver can beat the Lakers but Leonard and George are certainly game changers for the Clippers. They have become, in my opinion, the favorites to win it all with those two plus their depth chart. The West will be a lot of fun, Utah improved and Mitchell is only gonna get better, OKC has regressed and is in rebuild mode, and rightfully so as the team was going no where with that roster.

Thanks for the encouraging support. The LA questions are "team chemistry" for both teams plus what happens if there's an injury to one of the super-stars. But I won't disagree with favoring those two teams. I'll also agree with you about Utah & OKC.

My view on the West includes Denver & Utah as poised to take over if either or both LA teams falter. Neither Denver nor Utah are based on one or two or three players (except Utah's Gobert & Denver's Jokic :wink: ). The nice thing for Denver is Jokic is mostly "earth bound" and therefore less likely to struggle with injuries.

As you say, "The West will be a lot of fun". :nod:
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#10 » by Powder Blue » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:49 pm

Winning the West and representing the West in the NBA Finals 2 drastically different things, not sure we we can say we're best in the west with all the hopes and questions marks attached to our young roster. Yet again gotta love the optimism around here.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#11 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 pm

My estimation of our roster by position, ranking from #1-#30 in the league for last and this season.

Code: Select all

2018-19                    2019-20             
PG     Jamal Murray #12          Jamal Murray #8-10
SG     Gary Harris  #17          Gary Harris  #14-16
SF     Will Barton  #25          Jeramy Grant #17-20
PF     Paul Millsap #13          Paul Millsap #15-17
C      Nikola Jokic #1           Nikola Jokic #1-2
BENCH               #8                        #3-5

TEAM         #6                        TOP4           

Last season Nuggets are the 4th best team in NBA in the regular season, but objectively, except Warriors, Bucks, and Raptors, other two teams are also better: Rockets and Sixers.

This season I expecting decline only at PF spot from aging Millsap. Jokic can't be better than #1 of course, but he can improve individually. From Murray, bench, and Grant as new SF starter I expecting clear improvement, as well from Harris to back on 2017-18 track when he was a better player. Overall, we should have a better season.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:15 am

Remember this thread?

How do you feel about our roster now? Our biggest weak spot seems to be SG but remember that Barton and Murray can both play their and Craig sometimes. Without a doubt Dozier has the length to play there and his shot isn't bad. Don't forget Morris played a lot of SG in the G-League last year. So that isn't as big a weakness as it looks.

PG isn't a big issue either, even if Dozier ends his 45 days. Several of our players are decent ball handlers and Jokic can always bring the ball up court. If they double-team him; LOL free pass to an open man.

Jokic - Plumlee
Millsap - Grant - Vonleh - Cancar - [Bol]
Barton - Porter - Bates-Diop - Craig - [Green]
Harris - McRae
Murray - Morris - [Dozier]

How long does Dozier have left on his 45 days?
Do we keep Green and hope he is of use during the playoffs? (I hope so.)

With Plumlee out, our backup center is "small ball" but with the length of Millsap, Grant, Vonleh, Porter, Bates-Diop - it seems like it will work out okay in the current NBA.

If that's our roster next year; how do you feel about it? I do not think it's ideal, but it can work IMO.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#13 » by The Rebel » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:05 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Remember this thread?

How do you feel about our roster now? Our biggest weak spot seems to be SG but remember that Barton and Murray can both play their and Craig sometimes. Without a doubt Dozier has the length to play there and his shot isn't bad. Don't forget Morris played a lot of SG in the G-League last year. So that isn't as big a weakness as it looks.

PG isn't a big issue either, even if Dozier ends his 45 days. Several of our players are decent ball handlers and Jokic can always bring the ball up court. If they double-team him; LOL free pass to an open man.

Jokic - Plumlee
Millsap - Grant - Vonleh - Cancar - [Bol]
Barton - Porter - Bates-Diop - Craig - [Green]
Harris - McRae
Murray - Morris - [Dozier]

How long does Dozier have left on his 45 days?
Do we keep Green and hope he is of use during the playoffs? (I hope so.)

With Plumlee out, our backup center is "small ball" but with the length of Millsap, Grant, Vonleh, Porter, Bates-Diop - it seems like it will work out okay in the current NBA.

If that's our roster next year; how do you feel about it? I do not think it's ideal, but it can work IMO.

Dozier is likely getting low on games available, but in 6 weeks when the gleague season ends he is allowed to play for the Nuggets regardless so considering the all star break and such I think we are fine with him getting minutes.

I do think your rotation is off at SG, I think Craig will be the primary backup SG to pair with MPJ and Morris, giving us a defender and guy who does not want or need the ball in his hands. Mcrae and KDB are likely deep bench the rest of their year with 1 getting minutes depending on situations and need.

Last I heard Green is out for the season, and is reportedly getting waived.

Vonleh has played a lot of Center throughout his career, while he is only 6'10" he is a wide body and a good defender there. He is not a bad guy to have as our 5th big.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#14 » by THE J0KER » Sat Feb 8, 2020 12:11 am

I say in July we are the 6th best team last season and will be 4th best this season. In general, it is a good prediction, but I must confess that I was lucky about the final result. Instead of a comeback which I expected, Harris declined even more, while Murray didn't improve on the way I expected for this season. But thanks to the fact that Barton is much better than I expected, and Porter jr from who I have since 2018 draft sky-high expectations - but not from his rookie year, already is our third best player! Also, I expected from Sixers and Rockets to be better with current rosters than they are, so I was a little a bit lucky with this very precise #4 projection before the start of the season. Even if we finish with a little worse record than last season or worse than #2 seed, we are safe to say that the team is better this season than last season if we look at our W-L record vs elite teams and on the road. Our current record (good but not perfect) is corrupted by way too many silly losses vs underdogs and Joker lazy start of the season in October and November.

Return to Denver Nuggets