Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,949

Re: Jerami Grant 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Manolito wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Manolito wrote:
Warriors are not repeater tax next season, and Iguodala┬┤s TPE can land them some good players.

Grant will opt out and Nuggets should sign him in a longer deal, he is a perfect fit next to Jokic and his age matches with core players'. We only have Early Bird rights but that should be enough to get him. Any deal around 40-45M x 3 years would be a good deal IMO. He has been playing really good in January with Millsap out and he has been steadly every season, we can not lose such a piece. He is a poor rebounder but with Jokic and MPJ around that is not an issue at all.

We must let Plumlee go and try to sign Millsap a couple of years in a very cheap deal (hopefully lower than MLE)

We have Grant's full bird rights, they come along in trades.

I do not see anyway they keep Millsap over Grant at this point. Aging not only makes you a little slower on the court but it also makes you more injury prone while taking longer to heal. In Millsap's 1st 9 years he missed 12 or more games 1 time. In this season and the last 3 seasons he has missed at least 12 games, and this year he has already missed 20 games. I doubt it gets better in any year going forward. I can see them giving him a 2 or 3 year deal with Grant getting a deal starting around $11 million a year which is slightly more than the MLE. I can then see them giving Millsap a $8 million a year deal for 3 years with the 3rd partially guaranteed and I think he makes a lot of sense to keep. Especially if he is willing to come off the bench at times and play limited minutes.

I do not see anyway that they can afford to keep Plumlee. I think he gets a deal for at least the MLE, and I think he with get 3 or 4 years on it. That is just too much for a backup Center. I think that is why Vonleh is here, to learn our system and see if we want to keep him. I also think the plan at least initially is to have Bol as the backup Center next year with a cheap 3rd Center like Vonleh.

I don't see anyway that was trade a player of Grant's quality to the Warriors or any of the other top teams without a big overpay. Grant would be a very good fit in their system as a spot up shooter and help defender, it would take a lot more for me to make that trade.

No, if he opts out (which most likely will happen), we only have Early Bird rights, he signed a 2+1 deal in OKC. We can maximum offer him 56Mx4, which I think is his fair value (last year I would try to include non fully guaranteed)

He was with them for 4 years, which meams he had his full bord rights which came with him in the trade.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 3,183

Post#42 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:48 pm

Saw a stat today about how much better Denver was on the defensive end with Millsap in the game than without him - and I have no doubt that is quite true.

However, I do believe that if Malone has had enough time (which I think he has had), he should be able to adjust his defensive scheme to take advantage of Grant's game. Grant trying to play Millsap's game wasn't a fair trial. The whole team has to adjust when one starter is replaced - and frankly, it doesn't seem the Nuggets have been real good at that - not terrible but not great.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grant as our future starter - just not sure how soon that will be.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,776

Post#43 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Love Millsap but he is getting up there in years, he says the "break" has given him a chance to reinvigorate and renew him for the playoffs, a good showing MAY get him a new contract. He does have incentive there.

Really want to see what Malone does in the renewed , does he look to the future or go with old habits ?? Best case scenario, he utilizes the 8 games to see the future and starts MPJ moving Barton to the 6th man role and puts Grant in the starting lineup to allow Jokic to build chemistry with this new front line. I think this will also strengthen our bench with Millsap and Barton now going up against 2nd teamers, their experience alone should give an advantage.

Worst case, the lineup stays the same and we take our chances....
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,776

Post#44 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 pm

Interesting post over on the TnT board regarding the diminished 20-21 salary cap. Takes a look at the effect on teams, free agency, S&T's even 2020 1st rders. Thinking about what #Alantan suggested about utliziling the caps limitations in negotiating with Bol, this does give me a bit of hope that we may be able to resign Grant to an extension, albeit I think/hope it's closer to the $12M range (still a raise over his $9.6M PO). Given nobody really knows what will happen over the next 12-36 months, a little security is better than none and Grant isn't a superstar, he would've been highly regarded in a normal Free Agency, not this year though. He may even just take the PO he has and wait until next season, I'd push for a 3+1 yr deal if I was the Nuggets.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
TunaFish
Veteran
And1: 1,901

Post#45 » by TunaFish » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:31 am

skywalker33 wrote:Interesting post over on the TnT board regarding the diminished 20-21 salary cap. Takes a look at the effect on teams, free agency, S&T's even 2020 1st rders. Thinking about what #Alantan suggested about utliziling the caps limitations in negotiating with Bol, this does give me a bit of hope that we may be able to resign Grant to an extension, albeit I think/hope it's closer to the $12M range (still a raise over his $9.6M PO). Given nobody really knows what will happen over the next 12-36 months, a little security is better than none and Grant isn't a superstar, he would've been highly regarded in a normal Free Agency, not this year though. He may even just take the PO he has and wait until next season, I'd push for a 3+1 yr deal if I was the Nuggets.

If the next season is impacted by Covid (and it likely will) there will be massive reverberations around the league as they adjust to the new normal. No one is going to like it but the owners are bleeding red at the end of this season and are not likely to take a further bath on costs next season. Grant and Millsap could both be gone.

However, Denver will not be the only team effected and we may see a number of large cap veterans released. Could be a wild ride ahead.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets