Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Jerami Grant 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Manolito wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Manolito wrote:
Warriors are not repeater tax next season, and Iguodala´s TPE can land them some good players.

Grant will opt out and Nuggets should sign him in a longer deal, he is a perfect fit next to Jokic and his age matches with core players'. We only have Early Bird rights but that should be enough to get him. Any deal around 40-45M x 3 years would be a good deal IMO. He has been playing really good in January with Millsap out and he has been steadly every season, we can not lose such a piece. He is a poor rebounder but with Jokic and MPJ around that is not an issue at all.

We must let Plumlee go and try to sign Millsap a couple of years in a very cheap deal (hopefully lower than MLE)

We have Grant's full bird rights, they come along in trades.

I do not see anyway they keep Millsap over Grant at this point. Aging not only makes you a little slower on the court but it also makes you more injury prone while taking longer to heal. In Millsap's 1st 9 years he missed 12 or more games 1 time. In this season and the last 3 seasons he has missed at least 12 games, and this year he has already missed 20 games. I doubt it gets better in any year going forward. I can see them giving him a 2 or 3 year deal with Grant getting a deal starting around $11 million a year which is slightly more than the MLE. I can then see them giving Millsap a $8 million a year deal for 3 years with the 3rd partially guaranteed and I think he makes a lot of sense to keep. Especially if he is willing to come off the bench at times and play limited minutes.

I do not see anyway that they can afford to keep Plumlee. I think he gets a deal for at least the MLE, and I think he with get 3 or 4 years on it. That is just too much for a backup Center. I think that is why Vonleh is here, to learn our system and see if we want to keep him. I also think the plan at least initially is to have Bol as the backup Center next year with a cheap 3rd Center like Vonleh.

I don't see anyway that was trade a player of Grant's quality to the Warriors or any of the other top teams without a big overpay. Grant would be a very good fit in their system as a spot up shooter and help defender, it would take a lot more for me to make that trade.

No, if he opts out (which most likely will happen), we only have Early Bird rights, he signed a 2+1 deal in OKC. We can maximum offer him 56Mx4, which I think is his fair value (last year I would try to include non fully guaranteed)

He was with them for 4 years, which meams he had his full bord rights which came with him in the trade.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#42 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:48 pm

Saw a stat today about how much better Denver was on the defensive end with Millsap in the game than without him - and I have no doubt that is quite true.

However, I do believe that if Malone has had enough time (which I think he has had), he should be able to adjust his defensive scheme to take advantage of Grant's game. Grant trying to play Millsap's game wasn't a fair trial. The whole team has to adjust when one starter is replaced - and frankly, it doesn't seem the Nuggets have been real good at that - not terrible but not great.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grant as our future starter - just not sure how soon that will be.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#43 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Love Millsap but he is getting up there in years, he says the "break" has given him a chance to reinvigorate and renew him for the playoffs, a good showing MAY get him a new contract. He does have incentive there.

Really want to see what Malone does in the renewed , does he look to the future or go with old habits ?? Best case scenario, he utilizes the 8 games to see the future and starts MPJ moving Barton to the 6th man role and puts Grant in the starting lineup to allow Jokic to build chemistry with this new front line. I think this will also strengthen our bench with Millsap and Barton now going up against 2nd teamers, their experience alone should give an advantage.

Worst case, the lineup stays the same and we take our chances....
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#44 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 pm

Interesting post over on the TnT board regarding the diminished 20-21 salary cap. Takes a look at the effect on teams, free agency, S&T's even 2020 1st rders. Thinking about what #Alantan suggested about utliziling the caps limitations in negotiating with Bol, this does give me a bit of hope that we may be able to resign Grant to an extension, albeit I think/hope it's closer to the $12M range (still a raise over his $9.6M PO). Given nobody really knows what will happen over the next 12-36 months, a little security is better than none and Grant isn't a superstar, he would've been highly regarded in a normal Free Agency, not this year though. He may even just take the PO he has and wait until next season, I'd push for a 3+1 yr deal if I was the Nuggets.

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#45 » by TunaFish » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:31 am

skywalker33 wrote:Interesting post over on the TnT board regarding the diminished 20-21 salary cap. Takes a look at the effect on teams, free agency, S&T's even 2020 1st rders. Thinking about what #Alantan suggested about utliziling the caps limitations in negotiating with Bol, this does give me a bit of hope that we may be able to resign Grant to an extension, albeit I think/hope it's closer to the $12M range (still a raise over his $9.6M PO). Given nobody really knows what will happen over the next 12-36 months, a little security is better than none and Grant isn't a superstar, he would've been highly regarded in a normal Free Agency, not this year though. He may even just take the PO he has and wait until next season, I'd push for a 3+1 yr deal if I was the Nuggets.

If the next season is impacted by Covid (and it likely will) there will be massive reverberations around the league as they adjust to the new normal. No one is going to like it but the owners are bleeding red at the end of this season and are not likely to take a further bath on costs next season. Grant and Millsap could both be gone.

However, Denver will not be the only team effected and we may see a number of large cap veterans released. Could be a wild ride ahead.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#46 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 am

Well, Grant showed he's ready to step up for the playoffs, even coming off the bench

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#47 » by THE J0KER » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:45 am

According to our "Free Agents" thread and his overall bubble performance since the restart, especially in series vs both Los Angeles teams and theirs forward superstars, Jeramy Grant is people choice to (re)sign this season with Nuggets (as expected, he already announced he will use his players' option, he is more worth than $10M for sure).

Seems that the Nuggets organization wants him and trust in him, so I guess FO will do everything to hold him in Denver. In the near past, our FO even overpaid *our* players to stay (Plumlee for example), but in the near past, we didn't face serious cap problems like now. FO made a (big) mistake for declining the 40/3 Beasley offer, but that was based on the overestimated value of Barton and Craig, so I'm pretty sure Grant re-sign has higher priority.

Grant's price looks like something like 50/3, but let's hope some desperate lottery team will not send some crazy offer to him which we can't catch or will damage our cap health if we catch it.

According to Denverpost Nuggets’ Jerami Grant expected to garner free agent interest from at least three teams (Atlanta, Phoenix, Detroit), league sources say.
skywalker33

Post#48 » by skywalker33 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:38 pm

Reports from the Grant camp is that he wants to be a starter for a contender, none of those teams (perhaps PHX) can come as close as Denver can. He’ll easily be offered the starting PF role displacing Millsap. Hopefully, the money is secondary as we can match but it’s in the teams best interest if he signs closer to $14m than $17m

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#49 » by TunaFish » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:44 pm

Based on these boards, the interest in Grant is high, Dallas in particular. I am thinking that Grant's salary might now be in the range of Gary Harris and above, closer to 20 mil a year. Starter money for sure. More would be too much but Denver is going to have some competition for his services.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#50 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:56 am

TunaFish wrote:Grant has looked poor on offense for a few games now. He has also been excellent at times earlier. Everyone on this team has slipped at times and they are 6-2.

As much as I have preached against Barton, he is having a hell of season so far. There is no way Barton is giving up the starting small forward position at this point, so forget about Grant moving into Barton's position.

Well I see Grant at the PF position with MPJ taking over (with his text endorsement BTW) at the SF position, so either Harris or Barton is going to the bench, the other is our starting SG.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#51 » by TunaFish » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:20 am

skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Grant has looked poor on offense for a few games now. He has also been excellent at times earlier. Everyone on this team has slipped at times and they are 6-2.

As much as I have preached against Barton, he is having a hell of season so far. There is no way Barton is giving up the starting small forward position at this point, so forget about Grant moving into Barton's position.

Well I see Grant at the PF position with MPJ taking over (with his text endorsement BTW) at the SF position, so either Harris or Barton is going to the bench, the other is our starting SG.

Yes, I remember, Grant didn't look great at the start of the season but as we all know its how we finish. Grant finished as a top defensive forward with scoring ability. On the other hand, Millsap is running out of gas quickly. Therefore, Grant will be the obvious power forward and MPJ will likely be the starting small forward. Assuming they can keep Grant, a lineup with him and Jokic, Murray and MPJ sounds impressive.

Barton could end up playing a lot of minutes at both the 2 and the 3 but he will back up the 3. He is an ideal sixth man, if he is healthy. Looks like they have to go with Harris and we have to hope he finds his stroke. That's your top six at the moment.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by The Rebel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 pm

TunaFish wrote:Based on these boards, the interest in Grant is high, Dallas in particular. I am thinking that Grant's salary might now be in the range of Gary Harris and above, closer to 20 mil a year. Starter money for sure. More would be too much but Denver is going to have some competition for his services.

Dallas has less cap space than we will and so will be trying to use the MLE, which we can easily beat. Plus they reportedly wants to save their money to go after Giannas next year, so I am not worried about them.

The team I am worried about is the Heat, they almost have enough for a max deal this summer and then will free up room for a max deal next year. There really are not any max deal type of guys free this year outside of Davis, and Grant is a a great fit for what they need from their starting PF.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#53 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 am

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Based on these boards, the interest in Grant is high, Dallas in particular. I am thinking that Grant's salary might now be in the range of Gary Harris and above, closer to 20 mil a year. Starter money for sure. More would be too much but Denver is going to have some competition for his services.

Dallas has less cap space than we will and so will be trying to use the MLE, which we can easily beat. Plus they reportedly wants to save their money to go after Giannas next year, so I am not worried about them.

The team I am worried about is the Heat, they almost have enough for a max deal this summer and then will free up room for a max deal next year. There really are not any max deal type of guys free this year outside of Davis, and Grant is a a great fit for what they need from their starting PF.

Mavs only have the mle to offer and riley will problem gove big 1 ye deals to crowder and dragic before he waste big money on grant. He's a 9-12 mill a year guy, nobody is paying 20m for him
skywalker33

Post#54 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am

Pinkyring wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Mavs only have the mle to offer and riley will problem gove big 1 ye deals to crowder and dragic before he waste big money on grant. He's a 9-12 mill a year guy, nobody is paying 20m for him

Never saw DAL as a serious threat but MIA could provide our biggest competition. I would consider ATL but Grant wants to be a starter on a contender so regardless of ATL's available money, they won't start him and aren't true contenders. However, his agent could use them to raisde the price. I do think he'll get at least $14Myr though

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#55 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Never saw DAL as a serious threat but MIA could provide our biggest competition. I would consider ATL but Grant wants to be a starter on a contender so regardless of ATL's available money, they won't start him and aren't true contenders. However, his agent could use them to raisde the price. I do think he'll get at least $14Myr though

It should be the most unusual off-season ever, or at least since free agency began. What are teams going to do? What money will be hurt? Arena attendance? Certainly down and with it, no doubt there will be a drop in not just gate money and all the profit from the highly over-priced concessions but probably a reduction in souvenir sales as well. Will that be significant?

What's going to happen with TV revenue -and- other advertising revenue? It's conceivable that this revenue actually increases overall.

Will teams become more conservative? That seems likely. The NBA ownership, with only a few exceptions, tends to avoid extreme spending (even though the money is spent in amounts truly hard to understand for most of us).

Grant & Millsap: how does this affect them? That is my biggest interest. Will someone offer them a major contract? It seems like Grant might be one of the free agents that is certain to receive a significant offer -- but that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before. My wildest guess says he's going to get somewhere under $20m, but not too far under.
skywalker33

Post#56 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 pm

As time goes on I have less and less concern about Grant signing elsewhere, he's such a good fit here. Reported "mutual interest" so he sees what this team is becoming. As I stated, I'd expect him to get around 3+1yr $60M deal.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#57 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:31 pm

Add Jerami Grant to the list of players expected to interest the Heat this offseason. Grant is expected to opt out of his $9.3 million player option with Denver, but it would be a coup if Miami could land him with its $9.3 million mid-level exception.

Grant, a 6-8 swing forward, averaged 12.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 26 minutes and shot 38.9 percent on threes in 71 regular season games, including 24 starts. He averaged 11.6 points during Denver’s postseason run, starting 16 games and coming off the bench in three others.

Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix reportedly are expected to have interest.

It’s doubtful Miami will offer more than one year to any free agent, which makes a Grant pursuit seemingly unlikely to be successful. Another Denver free agent (Paul Millsap) or the Clippers’ Marcus Morris could be more realistic targets with Miami’s mid-level exception.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246514150.html
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#58 » by THE J0KER » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:48 am

Read on Twitter

:rockon:
skywalker33

Post#59 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now you're deli vering some GOOD NEWS !

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter

I am not sure that happened, there was a fake Woj account that was retweeted many times claiming that GRant was signed, but he has not agreed as of yet.

Return to Denver Nuggets