ImageImageImage

Nuggets' broadcast issues

Moderators: THE J0KER, NuggetsWY

TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,085
And1: 2,005
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#1 » by TunaFish » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Perhaps everyone is now aware that the Nuggets are in a broadcasting dispute with both cable and satellite TV providers. It sounds as if in a few hours Altitude TV, the producer and broadcaster will be cut off. Understanding that his is all about the money and that a resolution could be imminent, I am also aware of a dispute with CBS and providers that has led to some individual TV stations not being broadcast except by over the air. As I am no longer in the metro area, I am concerned.

If anyone has any information, I am wondering if the NBA Directv package will be impacted, if this happens? I can't find anything responsive on google if anyone thinks that's the answer.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#2 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:50 pm

TunaFish wrote:Perhaps everyone is now aware that the Nuggets are in a broadcasting dispute with both cable and satellite TV providers. It sounds as if in a few hours Altitude TV, the producer and broadcaster will be cut off. Understanding that his is all about the money and that a resolution could be imminent, I am also aware of a dispute with CBS and providers that has led to some individual TV stations not being broadcast except by over the air. As I am no longer in the metro area, I am concerned.

If anyone has any information, I am wondering if the NBA Directv package will be impacted, if this happens? I can't find anything responsive on google if anyone thinks that's the answer.

I do not believe NBA Directv will be affected but am not certain. These types of disputes go on all the time. Local outfits want big dollars from Satellite & Cable providers and renegotiation is almost always dragged out. I'll say this, I have DISH and if the Nuggets aren't on Altitude, I'll cut my Dish package in half. The one I pay for was chosen only because it has Altitude.
Powder Blue
Analyst
Posts: 3,443
And1: 640
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
   

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#3 » by Powder Blue » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:32 pm

TunaFish wrote:Perhaps everyone is now aware that the Nuggets are in a broadcasting dispute with both cable and satellite TV providers. It sounds as if in a few hours Altitude TV, the producer and broadcaster will be cut off. Understanding that his is all about the money and that a resolution could be imminent, I am also aware of a dispute with CBS and providers that has led to some individual TV stations not being broadcast except by over the air. As I am no longer in the metro area, I am concerned.

If anyone has any information, I am wondering if the NBA Directv package will be impacted, if this happens? I can't find anything responsive on google if anyone thinks that's the answer.


I was just reading up on this. If you aren't local AND you have League Pass you're fine. However, if you have a package that includes Altitude local or not you're about to lose it if you haven't already.

Local folks don't have much of an option because the local games are blacked out on League Pass. I just moved and I didn't intend to get cable at all. Assuming a deal gets done, there are some streaming possibilities if you have access to a paid big 3 account.

It's ridiculous that Altitude doesn't have a streaming option, I get they can't survive on streaming alone but I know a ton of their viewers would use the service. Now they're really in a jam. The big 3 know they can stick it to Stan and being that a cable company is one of the few things Stan doesn't own he's going to have to take a bad deal because the alternative of owning 2 sports teams no one can watch isn't an option.

Stay tuned...
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,085
And1: 2,005
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#4 » by TunaFish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Altitude is leaking to the press about its interest in a streaming platform according to some media reports. There is also a discussion about whether this ends the Nuggets being broadcast nationally (check mailbag Stiffs). As hard as this is to believe, ownership has been "out of the ordinary" with the NBA by having their own in-house broadcasting crew including production.

Stan (through his family) may be up to something here and may not be bluffing.
Canned in Denver.
Powder Blue
Analyst
Posts: 3,443
And1: 640
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
   

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#5 » by Powder Blue » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 pm

TunaFish wrote:Altitude is leaking to the press about its interest in a streaming platform according to some media reports. There is also a discussion about whether this ends the Nuggets being broadcast nationally (check mailbag Stiffs). As hard as this is to believe, ownership has been "out of the ordinary" with the NBA by having their own in-house broadcasting crew including production.

Stan (through his family) may be up to something here and may not be bluffing.


I'm not sure how you're reading that mailbag. I don't think nationally broadcasts are impacted by this at all, the NBA has deals with those networks and they bring in their own crews for the games. Altitude being an outcast doesn't impact them.

Stan and the K's probably don't want a streaming-only option, no way they can break even with all the staff and on-air folks they have (not that they have to profit). Streaming should be one of the options going forward but they're kinda hosed if they don't get the TV deals locked in. I'm thinking they weren't prepared for a of the big 3 networks to play hardball with them.
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,085
And1: 2,005
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#6 » by TunaFish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:55 pm

Powder Blue wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Altitude is leaking to the press about its interest in a streaming platform according to some media reports. There is also a discussion about whether this ends the Nuggets being broadcast nationally (check mailbag Stiffs). As hard as this is to believe, ownership has been "out of the ordinary" with the NBA by having their own in-house broadcasting crew including production.

Stan (through his family) may be up to something here and may not be bluffing.


I'm not sure how you're reading that mailbag. I don't think nationally broadcasts are impacted by this at all, the NBA has deals with those networks and they bring in their own crews for the games. Altitude being an outcast doesn't impact them.

Stan and the K's probably don't want a streaming-only option, no way they can break even with all the staff and on-air folks they have (not that they have to profit). Streaming should be one of the options going forward but they're kinda hosed if they don't get the TV deals locked in. I'm thinking they weren't prepared for a of the big 3 networks to play hardball with them.


My reference was to this quote:

"... Mike Singer, Denver Nuggets beat reporter for the Denver Post, reported that Altitude was considering using the Amazon streaming platform as an exclusive platform to televise their games. This would effectively circumnavigate the network cable providers (DIRECTV, Comcast, and Dish) and allow Nuggets fans the opportunity to watch Nuggets games during the 2019-20 season, provided fans have an Amazon subscription."

I am wondering how far they would "circumnavigate" Directv and the NBA ticket. I am not so certain that the NBA ticket will not be effected.

Its later pointed out that a roadblock would be the NBA deal with Turner network, ESPN and TNT as that deal has not run out yet. I am speculating but maybe Stan has been planning this move for sometime and maybe he has an ace to play. Those national games would probably be contractually required but Stan may pull the plug on the TV production inside the Pepsi Center. He owns the Pepsi Center. Who knows where this is headed.
Canned in Denver.
Powder Blue
Analyst
Posts: 3,443
And1: 640
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
   

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#7 » by Powder Blue » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:02 pm

TunaFish wrote:
Powder Blue wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Altitude is leaking to the press about its interest in a streaming platform according to some media reports. There is also a discussion about whether this ends the Nuggets being broadcast nationally (check mailbag Stiffs). As hard as this is to believe, ownership has been "out of the ordinary" with the NBA by having their own in-house broadcasting crew including production.

Stan (through his family) may be up to something here and may not be bluffing.


I'm not sure how you're reading that mailbag. I don't think nationally broadcasts are impacted by this at all, the NBA has deals with those networks and they bring in their own crews for the games. Altitude being an outcast doesn't impact them.

Stan and the K's probably don't want a streaming-only option, no way they can break even with all the staff and on-air folks they have (not that they have to profit). Streaming should be one of the options going forward but they're kinda hosed if they don't get the TV deals locked in. I'm thinking they weren't prepared for a of the big 3 networks to play hardball with them.


My reference was to this quote:

"... Mike Singer, Denver Nuggets beat reporter for the Denver Post, reported that Altitude was considering using the Amazon streaming platform as an exclusive platform to televise their games. This would effectively circumnavigate the network cable providers (DIRECTV, Comcast, and Dish) and allow Nuggets fans the opportunity to watch Nuggets games during the 2019-20 season, provided fans have an Amazon subscription."

I am wondering how far they would "circumnavigate" Directv and the NBA ticket. I am not so certain that the NBA ticket will not be effected.

Its later pointed out that a roadblock would be the NBA deal with Turner network, ESPN and TNT as that deal has not run out yet. I am speculating but maybe Stan has been planning this move for sometime and maybe he has an ace to play. Those national games would probably be contractually required but Stan may pull the plug on the TV production inside the Pepsi Center. He owns the Pepsi Center. Who knows where this is headed.


Not sure KSE was prepared for each of the big 3 to not do a deal with them, they probably figured at least one would and the others would then do the same to not risk losing subscribers.

I think KSE could pull the regional blackout on League Pass but I don't think they want to, the blackout ensures they get the local revenue rather than the NBA at-large.

The way I see this Tuna I'm not sure Stan & Co had a plan B here, Altitude has been dark going on 3 weeks now, advertising dollars are going to start to shrink because of it and any streaming deal made will be at the advantage of the streaming service since they know KSE is in a jam.

Like you said who knows where this is headed...No Nugs/Avs on local TV would be crushing to both KSE and the fans, they're going to have to figure this one out soon and I'm hoping streaming is a part of the solution :pray:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,752
And1: 5,973
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 pm

CBS was off the air in some markets for Directv for about 2 1/2 weeks earlier this summer. I think the cable providers are putting the screws to the broadcasters because of their losses in revenue with cord cutters turning to streaming. It is hard to get upset if that is the case as I pay $110 a month to Directv and have for a long time but it sure seems like I get less channels than I used too.

Altitude is going to have to cut a deal, they cannot go without any broadcasting for a real amount of time or it will hurt all the progress they have made rebuilding the Nuggets and Avs fan bases that has grown over the last couple of years.


They do have the Altitude Now app that they came up with last year, but it was pretty terrible quality the 1 time I checked.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 pm

I pay Dish over $150 to get a nice package that includes multiple NBA channels. If Altitude isn't going to be on there, I'll be cutting my package down and looking for streaming options. I may consider League Pass. I've never looked into it, but I've thought about it.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,346
And1: 3,797
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:00 am

Does it seem strange to anyone else that ALL THREE cable outlets are boycotting Altitude ??? Can you say collusion ....
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Powder Blue
Analyst
Posts: 3,443
And1: 640
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
   

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#11 » by Powder Blue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 pm

The Rebel wrote:CBS was off the air in some markets for Directv for about 2 1/2 weeks earlier this summer. I think the cable providers are putting the screws to the broadcasters because of their losses in revenue with cord cutters turning to streaming. It is hard to get upset if that is the case as I pay $110 a month to Directv and have for a long time but it sure seems like I get less channels than I used too.

Altitude is going to have to cut a deal, they cannot go without any broadcasting for a real amount of time or it will hurt all the progress they have made rebuilding the Nuggets and Avs fan bases that has grown over the last couple of years.


They do have the Altitude Now app that they came up with last year, but it was pretty terrible quality the 1 time I checked.


Access to the app is linked to your cable account. So at the moment, no one with a big 3 account can access the app either. As you said Altitude def has to cut a deal soon...
Powder Blue
Analyst
Posts: 3,443
And1: 640
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
   

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#12 » by Powder Blue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:31 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Does it seem strange to anyone else that ALL THREE cable outlets are boycotting Altitude ??? Can you say collusion ....


The way I read this is that the terms Altitude want must terrible. You'd think if it was a halfway decent proposal one of the three would take the deal in hopes of stealing subscribers from the others. The fact that none of them have cut a deal is pretty telling to me.
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,085
And1: 2,005
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#13 » by TunaFish » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Concern is growing over the first Avalanche game not being broadcast (another KSE franchise). It is difficult to understand what is actually in play but I am starting to see some posted messages indicating that if KSE accepts the broadcasters' proposals then Altitude would have to be sold to Fox. Stan will likely "stand" his ground. As I am not in a position to know but I don't like some of the possible outcomes here for the Nuggets.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:40 am

TunaFish wrote:Concern is growing over the first Avalanche game not being broadcast (another KSE franchise). It is difficult to understand what is actually in play but I am starting to see some posted messages indicating that if KSE accepts the broadcasters' proposals then Altitude would have to be sold to Fox. Stan will likely "stand" his ground. As I am not in a position to know but I don't like some of the possible outcomes here for the Nuggets.

Looks like I'll be scouring the internet for other sources.
Altitude loses advertising revenue and I'll cut my Dish package in half. The package I chose was based on getting as many NBA games as possible.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:26 pm

Go to the Nuggets website on NBA.com and at the bottom of the page is a link to the Kroenke Sports Entertainment Mission Statement. If you click on it, you will get a "Not Found" page. :confused:
http://www.pepsicenter.com/AboutUs/KSEMission/Default.aspx
Maybe they aren't living up to what they said? Or maybe ... ... bad karma?

If cable and both satellite companies don't want to deal with KSE, the problem must be with KSE. If one of those companies agreed to broadcast the games, the others would be forced to follow.
Powder Blue
Analyst
Posts: 3,443
And1: 640
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
   

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#16 » by Powder Blue » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:51 pm

I'll be streaming one way or another, Stan missing out a chance to get my $
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:17 pm

Powder Blue wrote:I'll be streaming one way or another, Stan missing out a chance to get my $

I'll find a way - ownership is being downright stupid. They are like the dog on the bridge with his bone. He looks in the water and sees another dog with a bone. He jumps into the water to get that other bone. That causes his bone to fall and of course his reflection (with bone disappeared). Stan wants more and he's going to end up with less. I'm getting set to pay for League Pass. Nuggets home games are blocked but I can watch them a couple of days later. He won't pay me back, he's going to lose respect and support; right when the Nuggets should be drawing more fans than ever.

P.S. Malone was quoted as saying something like; "If you want to see the Nuggets at home, get your butt to the game." I seriously doubt there are going to be many empty seats this year. I went to a couple of games last year and my health is better this year. I was thinking about maybe 6-10 games. Now I'm thinking I'll skip them all (but I'll still watch on TV and/or streaming).
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:20 pm

Can someone help me understand something?

I have Dish and there are quite a few Altitude channels. Dish is saying Altitude has blocked only the Nuggets/Avalanche channels. Last year I saw quite a few other teams on the other Altitude channels - including every Jazz game.

Why are only the Nuggets-Avalanche channels being blocked?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,752
And1: 5,973
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#19 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:35 am

A lot of the channels seem to be having issues with their new contracts. With the cord cutters it is obvious that the big carriers are having to make cut backs. If only 5% of their subscribers for the area are watching games on Altitude than I doubt they are wanting to pay much if anything for Altitude.

The articles I have read all indicate that Kroenke wants the same deal as they get in places like Philadelphia, where the cable company owns the team. That does not seem very reasonable to me, as he should be looking at a deal similar to what channels with their ratings are getting elsewhere.

I would download the app right now if it was half decent and would show the games with the ability to pause and rewind. Even if it was a few minutes delayed. I enjoy listening to Hastings and Marlowe most of the time. I would also drop my channel package down immediately and cancel in January when my contract is up. Hell the only reason I got Directv at all was for Altitude, I can watch the local networks for football games and the local news. I would miss the extra NBA games, but with all the streaming options and a smart TV you can see just about anything you want for a small monthly fee. I would rather pay a couple of bucks a month to Alttidue and drop Directv all together if I had the choice.

That may end up being the solution, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon are streaming live sports now, so the capability is out there. Maybe it's time they do it at Alttitude. With the national televised game, and if they come out strong and looking like contenders this year the buzz around Denver would be huge. With the local and regional Nuggets and Avs fans you would also likely get Jokic's huge Serbian following, the handful of Spaniards that follow Juancho, and the Canadians that love Murray. I don't know if that would generate as much revenue as the major carrier option, but they would still have their advertising ability, and the buzz around it nationwide would be pretty big I think. Eventually all TV is going to end up being direct streaming, the carriers business model just doesn't work when you can pay $100 and have your choice of channels and movies and not have to bother with all the other channels.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 8,883
And1: 3,201
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#20 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:59 pm

Dish just settled with Fox Sports

Return to Denver Nuggets