Nuggets Trades

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#121 » by The Rebel » Sat Jan 4, 2020 5:46 pm

FilNugsFan wrote:Barton has been playing really well. But to be honest, I'd still prefer trading him and keeping Beasley instead. And with the emergence of MPJ, I hope he'd eventually take over at that SF spot and Beasley becomes our "super sub" off the bench.

I agree that Barton is the one that should be getting shopped, although I do not know if Beasley resigns next year without a starting spot.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#122 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:15 pm

The Rebel wrote:
FilNugsFan wrote:Barton has been playing really well. But to be honest, I'd still prefer trading him and keeping Beasley instead. And with the emergence of MPJ, I hope he'd eventually take over at that SF spot and Beasley becomes our "super sub" off the bench.

I agree that Barton is the one that should be getting shopped, although I do not know if Beasley resigns next year without a starting spot.

Barton should be shopped for a lot of reasons; one of them is he is having a great year and his value is up. Also, he's a shooting guard that is truly too small to play forward which is what he is doing and we have a bunch of forwards available.

I'd prefer to keep Beasley but if he can bring back value, we probably should consider trading him even if we also trade Barton. Morris makes a great backup PG and more minutes would be quite acceptable. If Murray plays backup to Harris; that's a three-man rotation that looks pretty good and backup guards are fairly easy to acquire. Right now we actually have 5 fair or better guards: Barton, Harris, Beasley, Murray, Morris.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#123 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 9:53 pm

THE J0KER wrote:What Atlanta trying to get is not just a center but star-center (Drummond for example). It is not clear are they want to establish talented Collins as PF or want to trade him for someone who more suits Trae Young. If John Collins is on the table we can offer Atlanta their former legend Millsap, Barton, Bol Bol, Juancho, Beasley, and unprotected 2022. Collins will cost us about 100/4 but Murray-Harris-Porter-Collins-Jokic (6th man Grant) lineup will terrorize the rest of the league at least the next 5 years.

While I would love to obtain Collins, you’ve just offered any depth this team has plus depleted more of our future drafts for one player, our bench would be G-league talent
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#124 » by Alatan » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:29 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
Manolito wrote:Zach Lowe commented last weekend that there had beens serious talks with the Pelicans to discuss a trade involving Jrue Holiday x GHarris + Beasley + Juancho

I am not really sure about this one. I love Holiday but he is already 29, and I would hate sending Harris away. I also think his trade value is at his lowest right now.

I would pull the trigger adding Barton instead of Harris but salaries don´t match

I asked for a TOP40-TOP50 level player to create Denver BIG-3 with Jokic and Murray as our 3rd option in the offense, but Holiday is actually TOP30 player (or very close) which is two-way player able to improve our offense and hold Harris level of defense (whatever some stats say, Gary is, in reality, our best player in defense this season).

In terms of roster improvement, it would be a really great deal for Denver, which would promote Denver as true TOP5 title contender already this season, and even better chances next two seasons with Murray and MPJ continued improvement.

But there are also two red flags about Jrue Holiday:
- his injury history (only once in past 6 seasons he played over 67 games)
- Jokic+Murray+Holiday paycheck next season will be $85M, so in a Barton/Grant/Millsap triangle Nuggets will be able to pay only one of them $13-15M.

Risks are not small, but I'm for this deal. Pelicans have so many assets after AD trade, including 2020 two 1st picks and three 2nd picks, so I would add Barton into that deal and take from Pelicans 2020 WAS and NOP 2nd round picks (probably both TOP40 picks).

You are crazy for throwing in Bol Bol like that. Guy has higher potential than MPJ by a mile.
skywalker33

Post#125 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:26 pm

Alatan wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
Manolito wrote:Zach Lowe commented last weekend that there had beens serious talks with the Pelicans to discuss a trade involving Jrue Holiday x GHarris + Beasley + Juancho

I am not really sure about this one. I love Holiday but he is already 29, and I would hate sending Harris away. I also think his trade value is at his lowest right now.

I would pull the trigger adding Barton instead of Harris but salaries don´t match

I asked for a TOP40-TOP50 level player to create Denver BIG-3 with Jokic and Murray as our 3rd option in the offense, but Holiday is actually TOP30 player (or very close) which is two-way player able to improve our offense and hold Harris level of defense (whatever some stats say, Gary is, in reality, our best player in defense this season).

In terms of roster improvement, it would be a really great deal for Denver, which would promote Denver as true TOP5 title contender already this season, and even better chances next two seasons with Murray and MPJ continued improvement.

But there are also two red flags about Jrue Holiday:
- his injury history (only once in past 6 seasons he played over 67 games)
- Jokic+Murray+Holiday paycheck next season will be $85M, so in a Barton/Grant/Millsap triangle Nuggets will be able to pay only one of them $13-15M.

Risks are not small, but I'm for this deal. Pelicans have so many assets after AD trade, including 2020 two 1st picks and three 2nd picks, so I would add Barton into that deal and take from Pelicans 2020 WAS and NOP 2nd round picks (probably both TOP40 picks).

You are crazy for throwing in Bol Bol like that. Guy has higher potential than MPJ by a mile.

He thinks that Denver is such a small market that we HAVE to overpay...crazy, right ??

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#126 » by TunaFish » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:50 pm

Looks like Washington forward Davis Bertans is being touted as a trade target of the Nuggets.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-trade-rumors-lakers-sixers-celtics-nuggets-hawks-are-suitors-for-wizards-davis-bertans/
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jan 7, 2020 8:41 pm

TunaFish wrote:Looks like Washington forward Davis Bertans is being touted as a trade target of the Nuggets.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-trade-rumors-lakers-sixers-celtics-nuggets-hawks-are-suitors-for-wizards-davis-bertans/

You think they're serious? Where would they play him? How would the trade work? Not sure he makes a good starter, but maybe at SF. If he comes off the bench and Barton & Porter plus Grant & Millsap are all here? Hmmm, it just depends on how they work the trade. I love the idea though. He's a great 3pt shooter.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#128 » by TunaFish » Tue Jan 7, 2020 9:29 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Looks like Washington forward Davis Bertans is being touted as a trade target of the Nuggets.

You think they're serious? Where would they play him? How would the trade work? Not sure he makes a good starter, but maybe at SF. If he comes off the bench and Barton & Porter plus Grant & Millsap are all here? Hmmm, it just depends on how they work the trade. I love the idea though. He's a great 3pt shooter.

Caught me by surprise as well. 7 million contract that expires and he is an unrestricted free agent then, so a likely rental. Both teams are close to the luxury tax threshold so a trade would have to send back similar level of salary.

He looks like a sharp shooting stretch four but his defense is not great. Perhaps the Nuggets are not happy with Grant.
Canned in Denver.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#129 » by Mac1958 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 9:53 pm

I'm a little nervous about any big trades until we know what we have with Porter Jr. and Bol.

At the same time, being this deep can be a problem if some of the bench leaves for better contracts and we get nothing in return.

Hey, that's why General Managers make the big bucks!
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#130 » by TunaFish » Tue Jan 7, 2020 10:17 pm

If Denver is serious about trading for Bertans, I can only find two logical transactions that make it work in the trade checker. Bertans for Grant straight up, and that would give Denver a 2 million decrease in salary. Or Bertans for Hernangomez and Beasley (who together make 6 million) and that would increase salary by a one million.

Both pass the trade checker.

I can see the Wizards wanting Beasley and Hernangomez who are good prospects and will be restricted free agents giving some future control. Grant with a player option is likely in the same boat as Bertans who is UFA. Both Grant and Bertans could be gone at the end of the season. Both are looking for a big payday and that may be difficult for many teams except for a few like Atlanta.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#131 » by TunaFish » Tue Jan 7, 2020 10:19 pm

Mac1958 wrote:I'm a little nervous about any big trades until we know what we have with Porter Jr. and Bol.

At the same time, being this deep can be a problem if some of the bench leaves for better contracts and we get nothing in return.

Hey, that's why General Managers make the big bucks!

I seriously doubt Porter or Bol is on the trade block, more likely it is Beasley and Hernangomez.
Canned in Denver.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by Alatan » Tue Jan 7, 2020 10:40 pm

Why would we want Bertans? This is a lateral move at best. Most likely a terrible move since a front court of him and Jokic would be a runway to the basket.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#133 » by TunaFish » Tue Jan 7, 2020 10:54 pm

Alatan wrote:Why would we want Bertans? This is a lateral move at best. Most likely a terrible move since a front court of him and Jokic would be a runway to the basket.

Not sure if these rumors have "legs" but he is breaking out in D.C. and that's because of his three point shooting. He is averaging 15.4 points per game and made 105 three point shots at 43%. That's more than Beal. Compare that with Murray who has made 61 three pointers at 33%.
Canned in Denver.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by Alatan » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:13 pm

TunaFish wrote:
Alatan wrote:Why would we want Bertans? This is a lateral move at best. Most likely a terrible move since a front court of him and Jokic would be a runway to the basket.

Not sure if these rumors have "legs" but he is breaking out in D.C. and that's because of his three point shooting. He is averaging 15.4 points per game and made 105 three point shots at 43%. That's more than Beal. Compare that with Murray who has made 61 three pointers at 33%.

15 ppg is nothing to brag home about. Sure he has a nice 3 point shooting percentage but so do many other roleplayers. As for Murray, well he isnt breaking any records to put it nicely... :nonono:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#135 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:24 pm

For the team this deep, another role player doesn't have much sense, only notable starter clearly better than Harris/Barton/Millsap/Grant which is not expiring. Right now only Jrue Holiday and Kevin Love is available (maybe Drummond too, but he is a center anyway), but maybe someone else join before the trade deadline. But if price is Juancho+Beasley, I'm OK with Bertans, despite I can't see much more than 15mpg for him nor Nuggets finds the way to re-sign him in Summer (his new price will be over 10M per season)
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#136 » by TunaFish » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:47 am

THE J0KER wrote:For the team this deep, another role player doesn't have much sense, only notable starter clearly better than Harris/Barton/Millsap/Grant which is not expiring. Right now only Jrue Holiday and Kevin Love is available (maybe Drummond too, but he is a center anyway), but maybe someone else join before the trade deadline. But if price is Juancho+Beasley, I'm OK with Bertans, despite I can't see much more than 15mpg for him nor Nuggets finds the way to re-sign him in Summer (his new price will be over 10M per season)

Without picks and simply trading role players (restricted) of our own, our options are limited. If you are interested in Holiday and Love you going to have send back a lot more and that means one or more of our starters and assume another max contract. It's that last part about the contract that is troubling. Holiday I can see because of his still youthful age but his injury history makes me nervous. Love's contract is a no brainer, we definitely don't want that. And also definitely no Drummond.

If this rumor about Bertans is true and we are in competition with the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers and Hawks, then there must be a substantial belief in his skill level and/or cheap contract. We probably will lose out anyway in this bidding war.

If acquired, what Bertans would cost to retain is anybody's guess but there are published reports suggesting 15 to 20 million per. That's not too far off from what I think Grant will cost next season. So interest in Bertans does come with a future price in terms of who they will keep.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#137 » by TunaFish » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:05 am

Alatan wrote: Sure he has a nice 3 point shooting percentage but so do many other roleplayers. As for Murray, well he isnt breaking any records to put it nicely... :nonono:

Only James Harden (at 5.2) has made more 3 point shots per game in this NBA season thus far. Bertans is second at 3.8. Buddy Hield is third. Bertans has a better three point percentage than either Harden or Hield. HIs free throw percentage is at 90%. This guy can shoot. I can see why they would have interest, foolish not too.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#138 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:25 am

It feels like this team needs a shakeup trade. Not saying who goes or comes back in return but there's no fire on this team right now.

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#139 » by Alatan » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:42 pm

TunaFish wrote:
Alatan wrote: Sure he has a nice 3 point shooting percentage but so do many other roleplayers. As for Murray, well he isnt breaking any records to put it nicely... :nonono:

Only James Harden (at 5.2) has made more 3 point shots per game in this NBA season thus far. Bertans is second at 3.8. Buddy Hield is third. Bertans has a better three point percentage than either Harden or Hield. HIs free throw percentage is at 90%. This guy can shoot. I can see why they would have interest, foolish not too.

So what if he can shoot? Basketball is not just shooting. Bertans is a role player that sucks on defense and cant create his own shot nor is he a playmaker. He is not a good fit next to Jokic.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:49 pm

Alatan wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

So what if he can shoot? Basketball is not just shooting. Bertans is a role player that sucks on defense and cant create his own shot nor is he a playmaker. He is not a good fit next to Jokic.

Mostly I agree with you. But he would fit well next to Jokic - on offense. All he needs is half a second to get his shot off and if someone sets a pick, Jokic will find him in that moment. But I'd like him off the bench for 15 mpg or so on average.

Return to Denver Nuggets