Nuggets Trades

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1441 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:54 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:So I was viewing some trade proposals and I have to get something answered. Several of the big trades include trade swap options. But realistically, if you're expected to be the better team with the newly traded star, and the options aren't ever exercised because you have the better record, do they have any value ?

We got Murray as a result of a pick swap with the Knicks in the Melo trade. With a bit of foresight, they can be real valuable.

I agree they can work out, especially given some aspects like age of the traded player, the FO, etc. However, more times than not it doesn't seem to be exercised, I'd bet less than 50% of the time
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,516

Post#1442 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:00 am

Kings Looking To Build Around De'Aaron Fox, Likely To Explore Nemanja Bjelica Trades

I'm still with my old trade idea (before the start of the season). If this trade happens, an unproductive 4-guard rotation with Barton or Dozier playing PF will be dead once forever, while MPJ starter status will not be in question anymore. Denver will lose a little bit of overall quality, but the roster will be arguably more balanced and functional, considering that Bjelica can play all three frontcourt positions and is known as a good team-player.
THE J0KER wrote:Sacramento: Barton
Denver: Bjelica and 2021 less favorable 2nd round pick between Sacramento and Memphis (both owned by Kings)

Sacramento gets in Barton decent replacement for their former guard-forward Bogdanovic. I'm not sure if a starting job will be granted for Barton but he will get at least a guaranteed 30mpg time. With Bagley back from injury and signed Whiteside, Kings more need SF/SG backup than frontcourt PF/SF/C all-around Bjelica.

Bjelica is an expiring but a cheaper and proven team-player who never complained about his minutes nor role (PF basic position, but can cover SF and C too). Bjelica is a good 3pt shooter, good passer for frontcourt player, and unusually for Euro-forwards, he can play good defense, and with his EuroLeague experience can be very helpful to Camazzo in his NBA transition (and of course, there is Serbian NT connection with Jokic). I don't see the problem because we already have a similar player in Green because they are multidimensional players who can be used at the same time. Kings and Memphis 2nd round picks should be very close in 2021, around #40 both, so that "less favorable" part only makes Nuggets offer more attractive.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#1443 » by youngthegiant » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:47 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Kings Looking To Build Around De'Aaron Fox, Likely To Explore Nemanja Bjelica Trades

I'm still with my old trade idea (before the start of the season). If this trade happens, an unproductive 4-guard rotation with Barton or Dozier playing PF will be dead once forever, while MPJ starter status will not be in question anymore. Denver will lose a little bit of overall quality, but the roster will be arguably more balanced and functional, considering that Bjelica can play all three frontcourt positions and is known as a good team-player.
Denver: Bjelica and 2021 less favorable 2nd round pick between Sacramento and Memphis (both owned by Kings)

Sacramento gets in Barton decent replacement for their former guard-forward Bogdanovic. I'm not sure if a starting job will be granted for Barton but he will get at least a guaranteed 30mpg time. With Bagley back from injury and signed Whiteside, Kings more need SF/SG backup than frontcourt PF/SF/C all-around Bjelica.

Bjelica is an expiring but a cheaper and proven team-player who never complained about his minutes nor role (PF basic position, but can cover SF and C too). Bjelica is a good 3pt shooter, good passer for frontcourt player, and unusually for Euro-forwards, he can play good defense, and with his EuroLeague experience can be very helpful to Camazzo in his NBA transition (and of course, there is Serbian NT connection with Jokic). I don't see the problem because we already have a similar player in Green because they are multidimensional players who can be used at the same time. Kings and Memphis 2nd round picks should be very close in 2021, around #40 both, so that "less favorable" part only makes Nuggets offer more attractive.

Seems redundant, we need a defensive PF who can defend out on the perimeter against taller wings.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#1444 » by Coeur » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Bjelica would be a great fit on the Nugs.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#1445 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:03 pm

youngthegiant wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Kings Looking To Build Around De'Aaron Fox, Likely To Explore Nemanja Bjelica Trades

Seems redundant, we need a defensive PF who can defend out on the perimeter against taller wings.

Why? It isn't like we are playing much defense anyway!
skywalker33

Post#1446 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:49 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:

Why? It isn't like we are playing much defense anyway!

Isn't that his point too ?? :lol: :lol:

skywalker33

Post#1447 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:30 am

Coeur wrote:Bjelica would be a great fit on the Nugs.

Welcome back Coeur, Bjelica could be a good pickup, but that depends on what you'd have to give. That said though, he's more of an offensive threat than any type of defender, which is more what we need.

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#1448 » by DaFan334 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 am

Are there many good defenders in the league right now as is? I tried to put together a list of possible targets that are bigger wing defenders, which seems to be our biggest need and there are very few in the league. I think putting together a list of possible targets would be interesting to see what is actually out there. I can start it with the few I am aware of.

-Aaron Gordon: probably the best option for guarding Lebron and Kawhi
-Andre Iguodala: Most likely won't return here
-David Nwaba (Hou): He might be obtainable and is putting up good defensive numbers for the second year in a row
-OG Anunoby: Probably not available for anything we would offer unless in some Murray for Siakam
-P.J. Tucker: Available and might be a good option, but have to wonder if he has slowed down with his age
-Josh Hart: Might be a good option although smaller and will struggle to guard bigger wings. He has been a plus defender his whole career.
-Reggie Bullock: Might be an option once the Knicks fall out of the playoffs
-DeMar DeRozan: Contract is probably too much
-Rudy Gay: Decent option although might have slowed down
-Trevor Ariza: If he chooses to play this year, we should be calling.
-Cedi Osman: Probably could be available

I am probably missing people, but the list is definitely not very long.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#1449 » by Manolito » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 am

Many names have been already discusses during these last weeks. One trade needs to happen because we are not getting our future PF in Free Agency as MLE is not going to be enough. Our "assets" are Wil Barton + Bol Bol and any potential first round pick. Additionally as 2023 has been already committed with Hampton trade, next season we can not trade a FRP until 2025, which might be less valuable. That is why I think a trade needs to happen this season.

Solid defenders names discussed:
Aaron Gordon: prio 1
PJ Tucker: valid for 1-2 years
Kyle Anderson: is his 3P% for real?
Thad Young: valid for 1-2 years
Larry Nance jr: I guess he is simply not for sale
Siakam: wet dream not achievable without sending away Murray or MPJ

Special mention to John Collins if he has a reasonable price.
skywalker33

Post#1450 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Manolito wrote:Many names have been already discusses during these last weeks. One trade needs to happen because we are not getting our future PF in Free Agency as MLE is not going to be enough. Our "assets" are Wil Barton + Bol Bol and any potential first round pick. Additionally as 2023 has been already committed with Hampton trade, next season we can not trade a FRP until 2025, which might be less valuable. That is why I think a trade needs to happen this season.

Well, what if we already have our PFOTF on our roster ?? I think Zeke Nnaji could be a perfect fit there.

As for your suggestion, I'd already rule out Tucker and Young, too old to matter on this young core. Gordon is overrated and don't see Anderson or Nance being the answer/that big of a difference-maker. I do like Siakam and Collins but not for what they'll cost. I'm not against trade, but make it the right trade or continue developing Zeke.

Manolito
Senior

Post#1451 » by Manolito » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Who would be the right trade for you??

Trusting in a 19yo rookie who has played 20min in the league as your PF seems risky, Nuggets are competing already this season

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
Timmyyy
Junior
And1: 375

Post#1452 » by Timmyyy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Manolito wrote:Many names have been already discusses during these last weeks. One trade needs to happen because we are not getting our future PF in Free Agency as MLE is not going to be enough. Our "assets" are Wil Barton + Bol Bol and any potential first round pick. Additionally as 2023 has been already committed with Hampton trade, next season we can not trade a FRP until 2025, which might be less valuable. That is why I think a trade needs to happen this season.

Right now, I think Tucker is the most realistic one. Definitely not part of Houstons plans anymore after the Harden deal, so I guess he is up for sale. Fills an obvious need for us and shouldn't be quite as expensive. Fits into the TPE (tax could be avoided by a smaller move later if I see that correctly but correct me if I am wrong). I think from Nuggets perspective 2 2nds would be a good price. Houston likely asks for a heavily protected first that if not conveyed turns into 2 2nds. Not sure if there is a common ground to find. I personally think we had enough late firsts and because of that have a solid talent base to develop moving forward. But our FO is clearly a "draft FO" that usually avoids trades until they aren't avoidable anymore and they seem more comfortable drafting. So not sure they would be willing to do something like that.

Aaron Gordon might be the most realistic "bigger" name, if Orlando at some point makes a decision on their future path. But regarding trades they usually tend to be really conservative. So I don't give it a high probability. I guess they would have to go down with the price too. Barton matches the salary perfectly but since Ross and Fournier are way too similar I suspect Barton would have to go to a 3rd team. If you add Bol and a first rounder maybe a 2nd or two you could have a framework to negotiate. But I guess Orlando wants more and that might be a deal breaker.

I like Kyle Anderson too but as long as Memphis is at least semi competitive, I guess they won't change anything with their core guys, except for bigger trades which we can't and shouldn't offer.

Thad might be realistic but I don't like the possible trades since the Bulls would only move him if they get something back and unlike Tucker I don't think he is worth anything that would be enough for the Bulls to bite.

Nance, Siakam and Collins I think you worded pretty well.

I think even a combo of Tucker AND Aaron Gordon might be interesting. I think in our system SF and PF do the same things offensively and defensively both could play some backup SF minutes against the right matchups while Dozier takes the backup minutes against smaller quicker SFs. That would push Hartenstein out of the rotation (which I wouldn't like but with Green, MPJ and Barton all healthy Malone doesn't play him right now either) and Millsap (or Green) to backup center (which would cover his biggest weakness, perimeter defense, a little better). That would give us a lot of good defensive forwards/small ball centers to cover for MPJ and Jokics weaknesses. Although we would have to give up a lot of draft compensation and/or prospects.

And I don't think that Nnaji is a reason to not improve the position right now. First, he is a big question mark (and I am saying that despite really loving that guy and I have high hopes too). Second, Tucker, Gordon or whoever do not have long contracts. So you can take the immediate improvement while developing Nnaji and if he is ready for the next step, guys are either completely washed anyway (Tucker, I guess) or expiring in some kind of way.

In my opinion we are in a situation where we need to stay as competitve as we can, even if we have to give up picks since they have a low chance to become good anyway and if we would hit them they more than likely would take a lot of years to develop and who knows where we will be at that point.
skywalker33

Post#1453 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Manolito wrote:Who would be the right trade for you??

Trusting in a 19yo rookie who has played 20min in the league as your PF seems risky, Nuggets are competing already this season

Who would I trade for right now ?? Nobody, honestly. Have to agree that Zeke is not ready this year but I also believe we HAVE taken a step back with missing out on Grant so not sure we are competing this year. Not to say by the playoffs we can't or that a trade-we-can't-resist doesn't appear but I don't feel like we're there yet. In my eyes, we should have a better record than we do. We lost two games to SAC we should have won, but we didn't have JaMychel so their forwards ran over us in both of those games, we should've been able to escape the home opener at least. We've we're without MPJ for TEN games, not hard to think we could've won 1-2 of those had he been available. And Murray has been hurt, but that's part of a normal season run so let's just call it even there. Still, with 2-3 more wins, we'd have 11-12 wins by now, would anyone have been calling for a desperation trade then ?? Probably not IMO. And Zeke has already shown me some good qualities, if we can get him rotation worthy by playoff time and starter ready by next year I'd be stoked.

Maybe I'm just an optimist, a homer or just looking at the bigger picture but I really don't see Tucker being huge for this team, he may have impact this year but not much going forward. And bringing him in depletes us of assets, for what, 2yr on this team ? And having him here, what does that do for the development and chemistry of our young talent ? Now if we could do Barton for Tucker I'd do it but Tucker's age doesn't bode well for us to include other assets like draft picks, even 2nds (which we don't have a lot of).

Gordon, after being the 4th overall pick in his draft class, has been JAG to me, a good athlete but I've never seen him as a superior defender and given he's making $18MM, perhaps he be an improvement over Barton (+), but do you really want to give up 1-2 1st in addition to Barton and bankrupt the future for Just A Guy ??

Those DESPERTION trades rarely work out, so why force the issue ?

Siakam would be ideal here, but he's a max guy and I'm not giving up MPJ for him, especially when he's getting a max contract.

Timmyyy
Junior
And1: 375

Post#1454 » by Timmyyy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

but do you really want to give up 1-2 1st in addition to Barton and bankrupt the future for Just A Guy ??

I got your overall point and I think this is an obvious "agree to disagree moment".

But the above two comments, I don't really get, so I will comment on them real quick.

How is giving up 2 1sts "bankrupt the future"? Our future is Jokic, Murray and MPJ and maybe some additional pieces like Morris. Every other young player on our roster or pick we have in the future is a total crap shoot to become a player in the league. Since I like RJ and Nnaji too and liked what I saw from them, I get that you don't want to give up on them. But more than likely the two firsts you are talking about (21 and 25 are the only ones tradable so we would even have some left to use) won't become good NBA players at all or won't be ready in our time window (just looking at the probabilities of picks in the 20's becoming serious NBA contributors). How are they our future?

Re: You calling such trade proposals desperation in capital letters trades.
If a good team (contending for WCF) trading for improvements of the most glaring weaknesses is a desperation trade, then I guess 95% of the trades in the whole NBA are. Desperation would mean we would rush things while better things are waiting in the future. But what are we waiting for. For a late first turning into a high impact player? Might happen, but not probable. At some point you simply have to distance yourself a little bit from the draft to improve your team right now (I am not a fan of trading away all young players or all draft picks but that is not the case with us regarding the proposed target players). If we are waiting and waiting and waiting for some late firsts to hit we might never be ready to pull the trigger to seriously improve.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1455 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:39 pm

Timmyyy wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

but do you really want to give up 1-2 1st in addition to Barton and bankrupt the future for Just A Guy ??

I got your overall point and I think this is an obvious "agree to disagree moment".

But the above two comments, I don't really get, so I will comment on them real quick.

How is giving up 2 1sts "bankrupt the future"? Our future is Jokic, Murray and MPJ and maybe some additional pieces like Morris. Every other young player on our roster or pick we have in the future is a total crap shoot to become a player in the league. Since I like RJ and Nnaji too and liked what I saw from them, I get that you don't want to give up on them. But more than likely the two firsts you are talking about (21 and 25 are the only ones tradable so we would even have some left to use) won't become good NBA players at all or won't be ready in our time window (just looking at the probabilities of picks in the 20's becoming serious NBA contributors). How are they our future?

Re: You calling such trade proposals desperation in capital letters trades.
If a good team (contending for WCF) trading for improvements of the most glaring weaknesses is a desperation trade, then I guess 95% of the trades in the whole NBA are. Desperation would mean we would rush things while better things are waiting in the future. But what are we waiting for. For a late first turning into a high impact player? Might happen, but not probable. At some point you simply have to distance yourself a little bit from the draft to improve your team right now (I am not a fan of trading away all young players or all draft picks but that is not the case with us regarding the proposed target players). If we are waiting and waiting and waiting for some late firsts to hit we might never be ready to pull the trigger to seriously improve.

I'd rather keep the roster we have. I understand it isn't perfect, but when making trades, most teams want young talent and picks.

We have no incoming picks and we've traded our 2021 & 2022 2nds plus our 2023 1st. Mostly we've built this team through the draft and if we are to perpetuate it, we'll need some picks.

I'd be willing to make a trade, but mostly for players nobody else wants too much.
Barton might be wanted by a true contender - but I'm not sure which one at this time.
Same is true of Millsap.
Hartenstein & Bol & Campazzo probably don't have much trade value.
Morris & Dozer & Green are probably the ones we are most likely to find a trading partner for. But they aren't going to bring much back.

I really don't want to trade Jokic or Nnaji or Porter or Harris or Murray or Hampton -and- I'd rather not trade Green or Bol or Morris or Dozier.

Consider our current roster a couple years out:

Jokic - Hartenstein
Nnaji - Bol - Green
Porter
Harris - Murray - Morris - Dozier - Hampton

That's eleven players that we can hold together as long as our owner's wallet is okay with it - and if that team can contend, I think he'll pay taxes
skywalker33

Post#1456 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 am

Timmyyy wrote:I got your overall point and I think this is an obvious "agree to disagree moment".

Feel free to disagree, it makes for conversation.

This team has been built, not through free agency, not through trades but through the draft. Given that we have already traded away a 2023 draft (don't believe we have a 2nd until 2023 either) , trading away more picks doesn't seem prudent as we realistically don't have a good way to replenish this teams's asset without draft picks, which by the way is the Front Office's strength. Look at how the Clippers/Lakers futures look having traded away so many draft picks. Look at how destitude they are and many of their players are over 30yo already. Now both of those teams have the LUXURY of being a FA market, we don't. Now as I stated, if the right deal comes along, OK but none of the players talked about seem to make us the favorites to win an NBA title. The only one close IMO is Siakam. So yes, for Denver we can't just trade away a king's ransome unless it's a star like Giannis, AD or Tatum.

Timmyyy wrote:Re: You calling such trade proposals desperation in capital letters trades.

To force a trade such as is being spoken of here looks like an act of Keeping Up With The Jones's which is an act of Desperation (my spell check must've been on the blinc :wink: ). And is't it rushing thing after 16 games (out of 72 or 20% of the year) when we haven't had a chance for this team to have a full healthy compliment on the court together ?? As I pointed out, Green missed the 1st 4 games, MPJ the next 10 games, does it appear we have gelled yet or even had time to get any chemistry ??

Granted, our 1sts look to be in the mid-to-late 20's so it may be the best value we can get, but at one time RJ was expected to be a top 5 talent that we got at 24, a mid 20's pick, shows the strength of the FO in their draft evaluations. Same with Bol and Zeke if you believe in their talent potential. Guess my point in general is don't try to step away from your strengths for haste.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1457 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am

Media says New Orleans is ready to trade Ball & Redick.

I'd love Redick on the Nuggets. He moves constantly on offense and can shoot lights out. He'd be a great player when Jokic is on the floor. But he's an expiring, so it's a gamble.

Ball is another combo-guard like Murray & Morris & Dozier. I've never been a fan of Ball, and not just because of his father. :wink: I do think he has more potential than he's showing in New Orleans. But I don't really think we want him in Denver. He's also an expiring, so it's a gamble.

Expiring contracts can be acquired relatively easily. But how much?

Redick for Barton is a salary swap. (I'd like this one.) Would New Orleans want a 2nd? Maybe an overpay, but I'd do it.

Harris for Redick & Ball works. Not sure I'd like this one at all.
mirmil
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#1458 » by mirmil » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 am

Don't know what you guys think of it but Blazers Gary Trent Jr. is in his last year of contract and so is Will Burton. Maybe S&T could benefit for both sides. We would have MPJ as a starter and having Trent Jr. as a second unit would make us even better. Don't know what would Blazers would think of such a trade,maybe some picks could be involved.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1459 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:30 am

mirmil wrote:Don't know what you guys think of it but Blazers Gary Trent Jr. is in his last year of contract and so is Will Burton. Maybe S&T could benefit for both sides. We would have MPJ as a starter and having Trent Jr. as a second unit would make us even better. Don't know what would Blazers would think of such a trade,maybe some picks could be involved.

I don't think Barton is an expiring and the salary gap is big. If we could sign Trent to the same salary, I'd love the deal.

I'm not sure Portland makes the deal, but Barton would fit nicely on their team. Would he fit better than Trent? I'm not sure.

But I like your idea.
Manolito
Senior

Post#1460 » by Manolito » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Honestly I think our needs are clear, a defensive SF/PF.

I would save all our "assets" (Barton + Bol Bol + 21FRP) for this operation. I would not commit any deal before that one, unless is a clear win (which I don't see in the Ball/Redick case)

Return to Denver Nuggets