ImageImageImage

Nuggets Trades

Moderators: THE J0KER, NuggetsWY

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 11,695
And1: 4,656
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1981 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:27 am

Justin Jackson just waived by OKC, a 6-8 SF/PF with some defensive skills.....any interest ?
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 9,907
And1: 3,793
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1982 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:51 am

skywalker33 wrote:Justin Jackson just waived by OKC, a 6-8 SF/PF with some defensive skills.....any interest ?

Sure, some interest, but more as a deep bench guy. He's got a 7' wingspan and is fairly athletic at 26 years old, but he's not a great defender. He's also not a great shooter. But he could be valuable during the playoffs, especially when facing LAC & LAL and maybe the finals, assuming we get there.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,920
And1: 5,916
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1983 » by THE J0KER » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:30 am

I'm in love with the idea to use on draft-day our late 2021 FRP together with Barton to get around 10 places higher pick, or even to put Bol Bol also in the mix with Barton and 2021 first (if Malone is not interested to give Bol Bol real chance) and get something bigger (new guard starter or lottery pick).
Manolito
Junior
Posts: 418
And1: 280
Joined: Dec 29, 2018
   

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1984 » by Manolito » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:52 am

I don´t think FO is considering any "big" SG because in summer 2022 Denver should enter into luxury tax renewing MPJ and Gordon, the core 4 is already stablished. A rookie could make more sense because his salary is lower the next four years, but is he ready to be starting in a contender since day 1? Quite risky movement, although rookie might be coming from the bench the first couple of years while Monte being starter.

Everyday I am more convinced Barton will be on the roster next season (probably opting in) and that would be the right choice. We won´t find anything better with MLE for one single year and getting that profile via trade is very difficult as he should be expiring in 2022.
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,597
And1: 1,692
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1985 » by Richard Miller » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:37 pm

Yeah, as we have seen this year, no rookie is going to see meaningful minutes unless half of the team is injured or otherwise unavailable and I don't think that's going to change in the next year either. Ship Barton only if a better player is coming back (doesn't seem very likely).
Coeur
Analyst
Posts: 3,429
And1: 568
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1986 » by Coeur » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:50 am

THE J0KER wrote:I'm in love with the idea to use on draft-day our late 2021 FRP together with Barton to get around 10 places higher pick, or even to put Bol Bol also in the mix with Barton and 2021 first (if Malone is not interested to give Bol Bol real chance) and get something bigger (new guard starter or lottery pick).

For who in the draft? That might be the bouknight/Keon Johnson range


A team taking on Barton without sending anything back isn’t going to move the Nugs up in the draft
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 9,907
And1: 3,793
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1987 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:26 pm

Coeur wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:I'm in love with the idea to use on draft-day our late 2021 FRP together with Barton to get around 10 places higher pick, or even to put Bol Bol also in the mix with Barton and 2021 first (if Malone is not interested to give Bol Bol real chance) and get something bigger (new guard starter or lottery pick).

For who in the draft? That might be the bouknight/Keon Johnson range

A team taking on Barton without sending anything back isn’t going to move the Nugs up in the draft

I wonder how much Barton helps us move up in the draft also. I like Joker's idea though. While I've advocated trading Barton for quite a while, if Malone would move him to the bench, I'd prefer to keep him.

I'd also like to keep Bol. But only if Malone is going to actually let him play at least 15 mpg or so. His salary doesn't hurt and I think he's worth the gamble. However, I really like Joker's second suggestion; Barton + Bol + 1st and perhaps another pick even - if this deal gets us a late lottery pick or perhaps someone that can be our starting SG. (Starting SG doesn't have to be a superstar. We just need a guard version of Gordon: someone that can score but is willing to focus on defense.)
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,683
And1: 8,226
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1988 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:04 pm

I really don't get where the idea that Barton is opting in is coming from. Everything I have read says he is likely opting out and it makes a lot of sense to me that he would.

This year there are very few starting quality players or better who will be free agents. There is also going to be a lot of cap room and a lot of teams that are in need of an upgrade at SG/SF right now. Barton's ability to play above average defense, while being a solid spot up shooter, that can also create his own shot makes him a valuable player.

Barton is already 30 years old, for whatever reason once guys hit 31 or 32 it gets harder for them to get longer contracts, add in the injuries and I think 1 more limits his future income badly. I can easily see Barton getting a 4 year deal right now, basically like a 4 years $48-55 million deal, if he opts in for this year and gets his $14.9 million does he stay injury free and get a contract for 3 years and $33-40 million next summer when there are better free agents and the same type of money?

While I know as fans of the Nuggets we see the good and bad with Barton, it surprised me how many fans of other teams were excited about the possibility of their team trading for Barton at the deadline. I think he opts out and gets a much bigger contract than many here are expecting.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 11,695
And1: 4,656
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1989 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:13 pm

The Rebel wrote:I really don't get where the idea that Barton is opting in is coming from. Everything I have read says he is likely opting out and it makes a lot of sense to me that he would.

This year there are very few starting quality players or better who will be free agents. There is also going to be a lot of cap room and a lot of teams that are in need of an upgrade at SG/SF right now. Barton's ability to play above average defense, while being a solid spot up shooter, that can also create his own shot makes him a valuable player.

Barton is already 30 years old, for whatever reason once guys hit 31 or 32 it gets harder for them to get longer contracts, add in the injuries and I think 1 more limits his future income badly. I can easily see Barton getting a 4 year deal right now, basically like a 4 years $48-55 million deal, if he opts in for this year and gets his $14.9 million does he stay injury free and get a contract for 3 years and $33-40 million next summer when there are better free agents and the same type of money?

While I know as fans of the Nuggets we see the good and bad with Barton, it surprised me how many fans of other teams were excited about the possibility of their team trading for Barton at the deadline. I think he opts out and gets a much bigger contract than many here are expecting.


I know I've suggested it, but only during the times where he has been struggling with his offense. I can see your logic but then I also think that if he has little trade value (we've all heard he's been on the market for some time now), who would sign him for more than what he's making now ? I also wonder if he does opt-out, will the Nuggets consider resigning him or utilize the freed up cap space to pay MPJ/AG ? I have a hard time seeing other teams offering Barton a MAX deal, he'd have a better shot here and he has been playing better as of late, but it's not hard to see some of those 0-8 shooting nights and believe he'll opt-in.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Coeur
Analyst
Posts: 3,429
And1: 568
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1990 » by Coeur » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:55 pm

Monte Morris is the biggest trade chip. And biggest key maybe even to the draft. If they start Monte the rest of this year then he might be in heavy demand if he proves as a starter on a backup/6th man type contract hes big value. And then traded or not if he and Murray are the considered starters together then it’s an absolute must to draft a guard. I can’t watch campazzo in this role much longer


I either guard spot for Denver needs to be somewhat of a combo. I think springer and Mitchell are the pg’s ghat should be looked at. And they might be 15-25 guys. The SG’s might be the guys to look at are Keon Johnson and Bouknight. They might be 8-18 though


This draft will be awesome for the teams that are good at drafting. I think it plays right into the Nugs hands to have teams starting to be overloaded and unbalanced in picks. ESP maybe assuming okc, Houston, the magic and other teams might be dealing picks around
Manolito
Junior
Posts: 418
And1: 280
Joined: Dec 29, 2018
   

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1991 » by Manolito » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:29 pm

Monte is going nowhere. His performance / salary is huge and ownership will try to keep the core 4 + Monte + Nnaji beyond 2022 and fill in with cheap contracts.

If Barton opts out, we don't have any cap space to sign anybody, only MLE. With 10M (one year likely) is hard to land any good player. I can see Barton Sing that to renew one more year for more money, but not a longer deal in Denver.

Next draft pick is extremely important, and I guess FO is aware of that. They might have traded 2025 pick to ORL instead of 2021 because they need the pick mature enough as soon as possible.

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,597
And1: 1,692
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1992 » by Richard Miller » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:02 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:We just need a guard version of Gordon: someone that can score but is willing to focus on defense.)


RJ was exactly that and he's easily at least few years away from being starting-quality SG at a contender. I'm not sure a rookie fits into the Nuggets timeline anymore, they are trying to win right now and will be doing the same the next year/years.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 11,695
And1: 4,656
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1993 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:20 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:We just need a guard version of Gordon: someone that can score but is willing to focus on defense.)


RJ was exactly that and he's easily at least few years away from being starting-quality SG at a contender. I'm not sure a rookie fits into the Nuggets timeline anymore, they are trying to win right now and will be doing the same the next year/years.


RJ had some of those qualities but, at least here, never showed a lot of scoring prowess. Perhaps Malone was holding him back, perhaps given more mins in ORL he's been given some free range, but I do agree here he was a few years away.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 11,695
And1: 4,656
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1994 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:26 pm

Manolito wrote:Monte is going nowhere. His performance / salary is huge and ownership will try to keep the core 4 + Monte + Nnaji beyond 2022 and fill in with cheap contracts.

If Barton opts out, we don't have any cap space to sign anybody, only MLE. With 10M (one year likely) is hard to land any good player. I can see Barton Sing that to renew one more year for more money, but not a longer deal in Denver.

Next draft pick is extremely important, and I guess FO is aware of that. They might have traded 2025 pick to ORL instead of 2021 because they need the pick mature enough as soon as possible.

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app


Think you mean is Barton opts-IN but we still should have some cap space. Even IF Barton and Green opt-in, we should have around $10-14MM to lure FA's, if Green or Barton decides to opt-out, we could have $30MM+ to find a SG and fill in the bench.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Richard Miller
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,597
And1: 1,692
Joined: Jan 24, 2011

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1995 » by Richard Miller » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:06 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:We just need a guard version of Gordon: someone that can score but is willing to focus on defense.)


RJ was exactly that and he's easily at least few years away from being starting-quality SG at a contender. I'm not sure a rookie fits into the Nuggets timeline anymore, they are trying to win right now and will be doing the same the next year/years.


RJ had some of those qualities but, at least here, never showed a lot of scoring prowess. Perhaps Malone was holding him back, perhaps given more mins in ORL he's been given some free range, but I do agree here he was a few years away.


Imo, if he were a reliable scorer aside from promising defender, he would've been top 5 pick easily and not even remotely attainable for the Nuggets
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,683
And1: 8,226
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1996 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:23 am

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I really don't get where the idea that Barton is opting in is coming from. Everything I have read says he is likely opting out and it makes a lot of sense to me that he would.

This year there are very few starting quality players or better who will be free agents. There is also going to be a lot of cap room and a lot of teams that are in need of an upgrade at SG/SF right now. Barton's ability to play above average defense, while being a solid spot up shooter, that can also create his own shot makes him a valuable player.

Barton is already 30 years old, for whatever reason once guys hit 31 or 32 it gets harder for them to get longer contracts, add in the injuries and I think 1 more limits his future income badly. I can easily see Barton getting a 4 year deal right now, basically like a 4 years $48-55 million deal, if he opts in for this year and gets his $14.9 million does he stay injury free and get a contract for 3 years and $33-40 million next summer when there are better free agents and the same type of money?

While I know as fans of the Nuggets we see the good and bad with Barton, it surprised me how many fans of other teams were excited about the possibility of their team trading for Barton at the deadline. I think he opts out and gets a much bigger contract than many here are expecting.


I know I've suggested it, but only during the times where he has been struggling with his offense. I can see your logic but then I also think that if he has little trade value (we've all heard he's been on the market for some time now), who would sign him for more than what he's making now ? I also wonder if he does opt-out, will the Nuggets consider resigning him or utilize the freed up cap space to pay MPJ/AG ? I have a hard time seeing other teams offering Barton a MAX deal, he'd have a better shot here and he has been playing better as of late, but it's not hard to see some of those 0-8 shooting nights and believe he'll opt-in.


From all the rumors I have heard is that Barton was being shopped for a trade up, no team is going to trade for him if they are trading a better player. He is basically a filler.

The type of teams that want Barton are that no man's land of not tanking but not quite a playoff lock either.

You trade Barton and you are likely getting a bad or iffy contract and a decent prospect. From what I could tell we were trying to find someone to take Barton and give a better prospect than Bol so we could keep Hampton, but could not find someone that the Magic liked more than Hampton.

While many of us wanted to trade him for a better fit, those type of trades rarely happen. My guess is that is where the Ross rumors came from.

But back to the topic, I can easily see the Knicks, Grizzlies, Trailblazers, Wizards, and Pacers all offering more then the MLE next year and those are teams that should have the cap space to do it.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,683
And1: 8,226
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1997 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:33 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Manolito wrote:Monte is going nowhere. His performance / salary is huge and ownership will try to keep the core 4 + Monte + Nnaji beyond 2022 and fill in with cheap contracts.

If Barton opts out, we don't have any cap space to sign anybody, only MLE. With 10M (one year likely) is hard to land any good player. I can see Barton Sing that to renew one more year for more money, but not a longer deal in Denver.

Next draft pick is extremely important, and I guess FO is aware of that. They might have traded 2025 pick to ORL instead of 2021 because they need the pick mature enough as soon as possible.

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app


Think you mean is Barton opts-IN but we still should have some cap space. Even IF Barton and Green opt-in, we should have around $10-14MM to lure FA's, if Green or Barton decides to opt-out, we could have $30MM+ to find a SG and fill in the bench.


Where are you getting your figures?

From what I can see if Barton and Green do not opt in, renounce the exceptions, and we decline the team options and cut the non-guaranteed deals than the most cap space we would have is just over $10 million in cap space. More than likely if Green and Barton opt in than we will have a little over $9 million under the luxury tax.

If Barton does not opt in and Green does opt in (which is what I expect) than we will have about $23 million under the luxury tax, with the full MLE and the Grant TPE to fill up the roster.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,683
And1: 8,226
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1998 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:56 am

Based on the assumption that Barton opts out and Green opts in, we are going to have to replace or re-sign Millsap, Barton, and McGee.

The 2 guys I would target are Reddish with the Hawks and either Tim Hardway JR or Jason Richardson with the Mavs.

WIth the emergence of Hunter and Huerter I think the Hawks might trade Reddish for the TPE and our pick, maybe we have to throw in Bol which I would do. The Hawks need to clear out some small cap to keep Collins, which I now believe they will do.

I think Barton may be the guy that the Mavs end up going after. They desperately want a secondary ball handler that can play on or off the ball and is a solid defender. While Barton is no star, he may be the best option that is obtainable. I think you can pull off a double sign and trade for Hardway JR or get the Mavs to flip Richardson if he opts in for Barton.

That would allow Dozier to play backup SG and Reddish is a project but can be a solid bench forward that is still developing.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 11,695
And1: 4,656
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#1999 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:59 am

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Manolito wrote:Monte is going nowhere. His performance / salary is huge and ownership will try to keep the core 4 + Monte + Nnaji beyond 2022 and fill in with cheap contracts.

If Barton opts out, we don't have any cap space to sign anybody, only MLE. With 10M (one year likely) is hard to land any good player. I can see Barton Sing that to renew one more year for more money, but not a longer deal in Denver.

Next draft pick is extremely important, and I guess FO is aware of that. They might have traded 2025 pick to ORL instead of 2021 because they need the pick mature enough as soon as possible.

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app


Think you mean is Barton opts-IN but we still should have some cap space. Even IF Barton and Green opt-in, we should have around $10-14MM to lure FA's, if Green or Barton decides to opt-out, we could have $30MM+ to find a SG and fill in the bench.


Where are you getting your figures?

From what I can see if Barton and Green do not opt in, renounce the exceptions, and we decline the team options and cut the non-guaranteed deals than the most cap space we would have is just over $10 million in cap space. More than likely if Green and Barton opt in than we will have a little over $9 million under the luxury tax.

If Barton does not opt in and Green does opt in (which is what I expect) than we will have about $23 million under the luxury tax, with the full MLE and the Grant TPE to fill up the roster.


Rebel, here's where I got my figures, can't report to the accuracy but they seem close

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/denver-nuggets-team-salary/

I looked at the $99M and did some extrapolating based on this years Salary Cap and Luxury Tax numbers, estimating numbers will go up after the COVID year. I don't see us re-upping with Millsap or Clark, but could think about resigning McGee . Hoping Nnaji can replace Millsap's production, Dozier should be brought back, perhaps Cancar too. Whittington and Howard ( not sure I see either of these really) could fill in on minimums. This may also be the year Bol's coming out party, if he doesn't produce next year, meet next year's trade bait.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Manolito
Junior
Posts: 418
And1: 280
Joined: Dec 29, 2018
   

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#2000 » by Manolito » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:36 am

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Think you mean is Barton opts-IN but we still should have some cap space. Even IF Barton and Green opt-in, we should have around $10-14MM to lure FA's, if Green or Barton decides to opt-out, we could have $30MM+ to find a SG and fill in the bench.


Where are you getting your figures?

From what I can see if Barton and Green do not opt in, renounce the exceptions, and we decline the team options and cut the non-guaranteed deals than the most cap space we would have is just over $10 million in cap space. More than likely if Green and Barton opt in than we will have a little over $9 million under the luxury tax.

If Barton does not opt in and Green does opt in (which is what I expect) than we will have about $23 million under the luxury tax, with the full MLE and the Grant TPE to fill up the roster.


Rebel, here's where I got my figures, can't report to the accuracy but they seem close

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/denver-nuggets-team-salary/

I looked at the $99M and did some extrapolating based on this years Salary Cap and Luxury Tax numbers, estimating numbers will go up after the COVID year. I don't see us re-upping with Millsap or Clark, but could think about resigning McGee . Hoping Nnaji can replace Millsap's production, Dozier should be brought back, perhaps Cancar too. Whittington and Howard ( not sure I see either of these really) could fill in on minimums. This may also be the year Bol's coming out party, if he doesn't produce next year, meet next year's trade bait.


Do you know how salary cap works? These figures are correct, 99M$ if both Barton & Jamychal opt out, but as Rebel says that means around 10M$ cap space not 30MM$ as you mentioned (salary cap is set at 112M$ in 2021/22).

I am expecting Jamychal for sure to opt in, and for Barton I am not that sure he is leaving, he is already 30, had a couple of serious injuries and he is not moving the needle in a contender. I don´t see anybody offering him more than a three years contract. I guess it fully depends on his play off performance.

I don´t think Richardson is gettable with MLE and I don´t think Hardaway is what we need. Ross was a perfect fit but I guess having guaranteed money for 2022-23 season prevented FO from trading for him.

I like Reddish as a prospect but I don´t think ATL gives up so early on him. He is part of the Trae x Luka trade and getting rid of Reddish means they are accepting they screwed it big.

Return to Denver Nuggets