And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#441 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:20 am

TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Stole this idea a bit from the Rebel, but how about this one:

CHI trades SF/SG Chandler Hutchinson, C Daniel Gafford, #44, and 2021 2nd
DEN trades PG Monte Morris, F Vlatko Cancar, and #22

I think Morris is the best player in the deal and we're giving up a 1st as well. I don't like it but I won't cry too much about that. What I don't like is I just don't see Hutchinson or Gafford every filling any serious minutes.

I'd rather keep Morris or at least get more value for him plus a 1st. If we flip the picks around, I might go for this deal, but like Sky, I'm not impressed with this year's draft. So how about:

CHI trades SF/SG Chandler Hutchinson, C Daniel Gafford, Chicago 1st top-10 protected for 2 years then unprotected.
DEN trades PG Monte Morris, F Vlatko Cancar, and 2020 #22 plus 2022 & 2023 2nds.

If I am reading the tea leaves here, Morris is a good backup point guard with value but he is a restricted free agent. However, if you think he is replaceable with Dozier then you might think about it. I generally would rather keep Morris and continue to develop Dozier.

I am not sure how valuable that pick is given the nature of the draft.

Also think the Nuggets may let Plumlee walk and Gafford might be an interesting replacement that might change the equation here. I trust TC's scouting and I feel certain he has replacement in mind for Plumlee but Gafford could also be a power forward.

Dang I guess I am starting to like this trade.

While Morris is turning into a great spot up shooter and he is a solid game manager, I don't feel like he is the guy we need at backup PG and I think he will be a starter and given a starter contract next summer. I think we need a slasher that can pull the defense in for kickouts. I think Dozier is better at that, and I think he is a better defender.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#442 » by skywalker33 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:21 am

And let’s be honest, Karl is just trying to get likes/followers as he’s an analyst right now.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#443 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:26 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:My target is Bogdan Bogdanovic at Sacramento. He is a restricted free agent who plays the same position as Buddy Hield. Hield is on a massive contract and the Kings are faced with Bogdan wanting a pay raise likely in the 20 million range. As a result Bogdan has apparently let it be known that he is not happy with the King's direction and maybe he will want to play with his Serbian national teammate Jokic. Hield is not happy coming off the bench.

If they would take Harris and a 1st pick, the contract's range given what Bogdan wants is not too far apart from Harris. Otherwise the Kings risk Bogdan playing out his contract and entering unrestricted free agency at the end of next season.

While I like Bogdanovic, he'd add at least one year (probably two) at $20M+ onto our salary cap so you'd better be sure he is THE PLAYER worth it. He's also 2 years older than Harris but I do like his size next to Murray, Don't know how his defense is, if it's not close to GHarris then have to weigh in on is his offense worth the difference in defense ?? I would agree he'd be on my list of candidates, the SAC FO is looking for change, perhaps this is it.

Bogdanovic's defense isn't as good as Harris' but it's better than Barton. :wink: He plays intelligent defense for the most part.

I'd actually love adding him to our roster and think he'd fit well on the offensive end for sure. He'd open up the paint a little more because you can't back off from him. He also likes to move around, making him a good target for Jokic's passing.

I just don't think Sacramento is going to trade him and especially not for Harris and one 1st. I'm not sure what it would take. Sacramento has a bunch of young bigs. I'm not sure what they want to do there. Their PG is set and with Hield there, SG is set. Barnes is their SF and while we don't need him, I suspect they'd trade him. We could offer Harris plus Morris or Dozier and a 1st or maybe just Harris and 2 or 3 1sts. But if they accepted something like that, it would mostly be for the picks IMO.

Harris might not be the worst fit for the Kings. While he has been bad overall on offense, he did shoot over 36% on spot up shots this season, and they desperately need his defense. He is also an elite cutter, he pulls guys away from the 3 point line helping to spread the floor for Hield and Fox.

The issue is on defense, I think Bogdanovic is a solid defender, but after the Jazz series we need defense at SG and after the Lakers series we need another true good big.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#444 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:55 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Stole this idea a bit from the Rebel, but how about this one:

CHI trades SF/SG Chandler Hutchinson, C Daniel Gafford, #44, and 2021 2nd
DEN trades PG Monte Morris, F Vlatko Cancar, and #22

I think Morris is the best player in the deal and we're giving up a 1st as well. I don't like it but I won't cry too much about that. What I don't like is I just don't see Hutchinson or Gafford every filling any serious minutes.

I'd rather keep Morris or at least get more value for him plus a 1st. If we flip the picks around, I might go for this deal, but like Sky, I'm not impressed with this year's draft. So how about:

CHI trades SF/SG Chandler Hutchinson, C Daniel Gafford, Chicago 1st top-10 protected for 2 years then unprotected.
DEN trades PG Monte Morris, F Vlatko Cancar, and 2020 #22 plus 2022 & 2023 2nds.

I agree Morris is the better player here but Dozier needs Morris’s minutes to develop, Hutchison is a good 2-way on a rookie deal, feel like he could allow us to trade Barton or Harris and Gafford replaces Plumlee. As you noted I am not high on this draft so we move back to pick up a prospect plus pick up another high 2022 2nd in what appears like a better draft.

BTW, I don’t believe we have any 2nds until 2023

We don't have 2nds.

I don't see the Bulls trading any picks anytime soon.

While I certainly like Gafford and Hutchison, I am not sure we could get both back for Morris and Cancar.

If we look at how Houston and the Nuggets were built while AK was there, than it is pretty easy to see the direction they are going to go in. They will have 1 guy at each position that they believe will develop into top level players. They will trade the rest for picks and other young guys they like, and they will go get a couple of veterans that they believe can help win while developing.

I also think since they just took over there is no pick loyalty. It does not matter where a guy was drafted, it was that way in Houston, and we all know it was that way in Denver. The one time they tried it was with Mudiay, and we all saw how that worked out.

While their fans may disagree, I actually think the Bulls are higher on Gafford than they are on Carter JR, he appears that he is going to be the better long term role player to me.
skywalker33

Post#445 » by skywalker33 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:45 am

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I think Morris is the best player in the deal and we're giving up a 1st as well. I don't like it but I won't cry too much about that. What I don't like is I just don't see Hutchinson or Gafford every filling any serious minutes.

I agree Morris is the better player here but Dozier needs Morris’s minutes to develop, Hutchison is a good 2-way on a rookie deal, feel like he could allow us to trade Barton or Harris and Gafford replaces Plumlee. As you noted I am not high on this draft so we move back to pick up a prospect plus pick up another high 2022 2nd in what appears like a better draft.

We don't have 2nds.

While I certainly like Gafford and Hutchison, I am not sure we could get both back for Morris and Cancar.

If we look at how Houston and the Nuggets were built while AK was there, than it is pretty easy to see the direction they are going to go in. They will have 1 guy at each position that they believe will develop into top level players. They will trade the rest for picks and other young guys they like, and they will go get a couple of veterans that they believe can help win while developing.

I also think since they just took over there is no pick loyalty. It does not matter where a guy was drafted, it was that way in Houston, and we all know it was that way in Denver. The one time they tried it was with Mudiay, and we all saw how that worked out.

While their fans may disagree, I actually think the Bulls are higher on Gafford than they are on Carter JR, he appears that he is going to be the better long term role player to me.

Well, both Morris and Cancar were AK picks, Hutchison and Gafford weren't. So his familiarity with those two while trading away two that weren't while moving up for an extra 1st could be appealing. I agree with the thinking the Bulls may want to move on from Carter.... by selecting Wiseman at #4 (other option is Avdija as I think Ball, Edwards and Toppin may go #1, #2 & #3). This would make Carter a backup C or PF or eventual trade bait.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,520

Post#446 » by THE J0KER » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If Harris and Barton are not for trade, should we lock this thread already?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#447 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:08 pm

Based on the usual Nuggets' official position of not making public statements, if I were Barton, I'd be worried. :lol:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#448 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 4:16 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

We don't have 2nds.

Well, both Morris and Cancar were AK picks, Hutchison and Gafford weren't. So his familiarity with those two while trading away two that weren't while moving up for an extra 1st could be appealing. I agree with the thinking the Bulls may want to move on from Carter.... by selecting Wiseman at #4 (other option is Avdija as I think Ball, Edwards and Toppin may go #1, #2 & #3). This would make Carter a backup C or PF or eventual trade bait.

I agree that Morris and Cancar were picks that AK was involved in and he may be higher on them then most, but I also think that the 1st thing he is going to do is try to bring in veterans that are good in the lockerroom and helps the team win games while developing the young guys now.

I think the top 3 guys on our roster that are obtainable that he would want are Morris, Barton, and Plumlee. In his interviews I have seen or heard he has always pushed how good Plumlee and Barton were for the young guys on the court and in the lockerroom. It also does not take a rocket scientist to see the Bulls need a PG like Morris who can play on and off the ball, as they had Lavine starting some games there and he is not a PG. White is a few years away.

Cancar does not fit a need right now, they have Markennen and Gafford to develop and Young that needs minutes at PF. Carter JR also can play minutes at PF depending on who they draft.

Don't get me wrong I would do the deal if they would, but I don't think they would do it.

I think if you expand the deal to Barton, Morris, and Cancar for Satoransky, Hutchison, and Gafford or Carter JR than the deal becomes much more likeable for the Bulls. Although it makes it worse for us, I would still do it as we get exactly what we need for our bench at the 2/3 and 5.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 4:18 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If Harris and Barton are not for trade, should we lock this thread already?

What do you expect them to say? If anything that is there way of saying those 2 are on the block.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#450 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 4:27 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:My target is Bogdan Bogdanovic at Sacramento. He is a restricted free agent who plays the same position as Buddy Hield. Hield is on a massive contract and the Kings are faced with Bogdan wanting a pay raise likely in the 20 million range. As a result Bogdan has apparently let it be known that he is not happy with the King's direction and maybe he will want to play with his Serbian national teammate Jokic. Hield is not happy coming off the bench.

If they would take Harris and a 1st pick, the contract's range given what Bogdan wants is not too far apart from Harris. Otherwise the Kings risk Bogdan playing out his contract and entering unrestricted free agency at the end of next season.

While I like Bogdanovic, he'd add at least one year (probably two) at $20M+ onto our salary cap so you'd better be sure he is THE PLAYER worth it. He's also 2 years older than Harris but I do like his size next to Murray, Don't know how his defense is, if it's not close to GHarris then have to weigh in on is his offense worth the difference in defense ?? I would agree he'd be on my list of candidates, the SAC FO is looking for change, perhaps this is it.

Bogdanovic's defense isn't as good as Harris' but it's better than Barton. :wink: He plays intelligent defense for the most part.

I'd actually love adding him to our roster and think he'd fit well on the offensive end for sure. He'd open up the paint a little more because you can't back off from him. He also likes to move around, making him a good target for Jokic's passing.

I just don't think Sacramento is going to trade him and especially not for Harris and one 1st. I'm not sure what it would take. Sacramento has a bunch of young bigs. I'm not sure what they want to do there. Their PG is set and with Hield there, SG is set. Barnes is their SF and while we don't need him, I suspect they'd trade him. We could offer Harris plus Morris or Dozier and a 1st or maybe just Harris and 2 or 3 1sts. But if they accepted something like that, it would mostly be for the picks IMO.

With Hield reportedly asking for a trade I think they bring back Bogdanovic now, although they may still be interested in Harris at SG because that team still has major defensive problems at the SG position.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#451 » by TunaFish » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:09 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

With Hield reportedly asking for a trade I think they bring back Bogdanovic now, although they may still be interested in Harris at SG because that team still has major defensive problems at the SG position.

Yes, I thought this might happen. Hield has a massive contract that makes him virtually untradable. Some team might like his scoring punch but it comes with a host of other problems including inconsistency and poor defense. Hield is not a point guard as he doesn't pass the ball and is really a black hole on offense. Bogdanovic has beaten him out at shooting guard thus Hield's unhappiness. The Kings have a big problem and they certainly would like to keep Bogdanovic only he also has also expressed his unhappiness.

Someone is going to get a player out of this mess.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:59 pm

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Bogdanovic's defense isn't as good as Harris' but it's better than Barton. :wink: He plays intelligent defense for the most part.

Yes, I thought this might happen. Hield has a massive contract that makes him virtually untradable. Some team might like his scoring punch but it comes with a host of other problems including inconsistency and poor defense. Hield is not a point guard as he doesn't pass the ball and is really a black hole on offense. Bogdanovic has beaten him out at shooting guard thus Hield's unhappiness. The Kings have a big problem and they certainly would like to keep Bogdanovic only he also has also expressed his unhappiness.

Yeah, but which one? Sounds like Hield isn't happy, and like maybe he isn't wanted, but his contract makes him almost untradeable.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 3, 2020 9:55 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:With Hield reportedly asking for a trade I think they bring back Bogdanovic now, although they may still be interested in Harris at SG because that team still has major defensive problems at the SG position.

Yeah, but which one? Sounds like Hield isn't happy, and like maybe he isn't wanted, but his contract makes him almost untradeable.

While I wouldn't want that contract, there are teams that will. His ability to shoot is enough to create some demand.

If you remember Vivek reportedly was the one demanding Hield if they were going to trade Cousins, I wonder if they will trade him now? I think Bogdanovic is the better player and will be on the better contract, but if ownership wants Heild there is nothing the front offoce can do except make him happy.
skywalker33

Post#454 » by skywalker33 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:29 pm

-
The Rebel wrote:I think if you expand the deal to Barton, Morris, and Cancar for Satoransky, Hutchison, and Gafford or Carter JR than the deal becomes much more likeable for the Bulls. Although it makes it worse for us, I would still do it as we get exactly what we need for our bench at the 2/3 and 5.

I think I could go for that expanded trade if we could get a draft pick thrown in, Satonansky is dead-weight and but will come off the cap earlier than Barton but Barton is definitely the better player along with Morris so a future lightly protected 1st or a couple of 2nds

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by The Rebel » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:33 am

Chicago Bulls Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Will Barton, Monte Morris, Josh Richardson, 36th overall pick.

Outgoing Players
Thaddeus Young, Cristiano Felicio, Wendell Carter, Jr., Chandler Hutchison

Chicago adds 3 guys who can step in right away, with Morris and Barton starting, and Richardson in a 6th man role that can work with Lavine as they are both guys who can create for others somewhat. They also dump 2 really bad deals for them, Felicio's deal never made sense, and Thad Young is a terrible fit in their scheme. AK has always worked in front offices that believe in the draft and stash 2nd round picks, this gets him an early 2nd to start developing. To do it they lose Hutchison and Carter, but I think it is worth it.

Philadelphia Sixers Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Gary Harris, Thaddeus Young, Cristiano Felicio

Outgoing Players
Al Horford, Josh Richardson, Matisse Thybulle, 34th overall pick, 36th overall pick.

The 76ers are in trouble, they have to make major changes or their entire team will likely get busted up next year. The worst contract they have is Horford. They give up Thybulle and Richardson with the picks to break Horford's deal up into 3 smaller deals, upgrading at SG with Harris (despite his offensive issues Harris is the best defender in this deal and shot 36% on spot up 3s, so he is still a great fit), and adding a solid PF that can keep up with today's spread 4s and is a good spot up shooter. Felicio is expiring so bringing him on is not the worst thing in the world.

Denver Nuggets Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Wendell Carter, Jr., Chandler Hutchison, Al Horford, Matisse Thybulle, 34th overall pick
Outgoing Players
Gary Harris, Will Barton, Monte Morris

We are at a crossroads, do you try to run it back? Do you upgrade into another star and try to fill out the bench with the MLE and minimum deals? Do you improve the bench and complete the rebuild?

Make no mistake, Horford is a terrible contract, but can we make it work with him if it fills out the rest of the team?

Thybulle is more of a classic small forward, defense, a little bit of shooting, and a lot of hustle. The thing is we can have him at SG because he does well against SGs and he shot 37% on spot up shots. He would make a great long term replacement of Harris and is cheap.

Hutchison is better than Craig on both ends, few people know that for the 1st month of the season Hutchison was shooting 40% of spot up shots before injuring his shoulder and trying to play through it. He would make a great replacement for Craig.

Carter is a wide body defensive PF/C with long reach, a developing outside shot, and a physical demeanor. He has a ways to go to be what he may become, but right now he would make a great 3rd big and can play PF with the right C.

That Center could be Horford, we can use him like the RAptors do with Gasol, limit him to 4th big status during the season, putting his as 3rd big or even starter at PF in the right matchups. He is a great defender without being a shotblocker, and he can pass well enough we do not have to destroy our offense. Run him with Carter JR during the season while we are developing WCJ, and we can have 2 very good PF/Cs to backup Jokic depending on matchups come playoff time. IN 3 years his deal is only partially guaranteed, so you maybe able to dump him half way through the 21-22 season if need be.

The pick can be combined with 22 to move up to the late teens likely or we can take a stash player as we are going to need cheap players in a couple of years.

To me the decision comes down to money. The deal only raises the salaries about $3.5 million next season, but in year 3 we are adding some major salary. With Thybulle and Horford you are just under $31 million added to the cap, which will put us around $113 million for 6 players and having to extend MPJ and Carter JR. Which almost guarantees we are into the luxury tax in year 3. Yet we should be a contender and below the tax for years 1 and 2, which puts us at a 1 time payer before we can change much.

Karl was right in 1 thing, we all know these kind of opportunities do not come around often, we have a change to win the big one but we have to make the right move. While many seem to want us to get another offensive star, I think the type of star we need is a defensive star. Murray, Jokic, and even MPJ did not let us down in the playoffs, our shooters and our bench did. I think Thybulle has the potential to develop into the best perimeter defender in the league and a 40% 3 point shooter. I also think adding him, Carter Jr, and Horford brings toughness that we really do need to support Jokic and Murray. Horford is a good enough as a passer to replace Plumlee but his defense is a huge upgrade, and he can hit outside shots so the defense cannot just collapse in the paint when he comes on the court. Carter JR and Bol can compete for minutes and we are bound to get a good PF/C out of the 2 of them long term as Horford slows down.

Draft someone like Hampton, add a little depth at SG/SF with the BAE and you have a young but very good team and you are well under the luxury tax line.

Murray/ Dozier/ Hampton
Thybulle/ Hutchison
MPJ/ Hutchison/ KBD
Grant/ Carter Jr/ Cancar
Jokic/ Horford/ Bol
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#456 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:05 pm

Looking at the reports that the Nuggets tried to acquire Jrue at the tradedeadline just makes me think we really should go all-in trying to get him --- well, maybe almost all-in.

Jrue has a player option after the upcoming season and it seems almost certain he will exercise that option. Does New Orleans want to lose him for nothing? Doubtful. It seems likely he will be traded this year.

On the other hand, Denver certainly shouldn't mortgage their future for a rental - unless they are convinced they can keep him. He certainly makes Denver better and "Denver better" translates to "Championship Contender" and Jrue would likely want to stay here.

We shouldn't trade Murray or Porter (don't even talk about Jokic here). But I think we should offer them almost anything else they want, including picks. They aren't going to want an expensive PF but a sign-n-trade for Plumlee might work for them - as a short-term solution at center. Morris and/or Dozier would be nice for them and if they take both Harris & Barton, they'll want some picks.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#457 » by THE J0KER » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:17 pm

I agree with the "give them whatever they want" (except BIG3+Grant) strategy to get Jrue, but I'm sure Pelicans #1 target, in that case, will be Bol Bol. The good news is that Jrue price is lower today when he is expiring player than back in January when we tried, and Bol Bol price is arguably higher after the bubble where he proves he is healthy and can play Porzingins type of game effectively.

If we can't bring some BIG NAME (Beal, Jrue, ...) this summer, my secret trade pick is Lakers Danny Green. Green proves in SAS, TOR, LAL that he is a perfect fit for all contenders. With him in, we can give up from Harris and Barton without thinking, so he would improve our defense (and unlike Harris he can cover small forwards too, not only guards), our 3pt%, and our cap. The reason I think Green is available this off-season is Lakers signed him late last summer when all their attempts to create BIG3 falls. They will try it again next month and Green's $15M is too much for them in that case, especially if that new Lakers 3rd star will be pg/sg/sf, and if they sign super-max with the Davis at the same time.
skywalker33

Post#458 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:48 pm

The Rebel wrote:Chicago Bulls Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Will Barton, Monte Morris, Josh Richardson, 36th overall pick.

Outgoing Players
Thaddeus Young, Cristiano Felicio, Wendell Carter, Jr., Chandler Hutchison

Chicago adds 3 guys who can step in right away, with Morris and Barton starting, and Richardson in a 6th man role that can work with Lavine as they are both guys who can create for others somewhat. They also dump 2 really bad deals for them, Felicio's deal never made sense, and Thad Young is a terrible fit in their scheme. AK has always worked in front offices that believe in the draft and stash 2nd round picks, this gets him an early 2nd to start developing. To do it they lose Hutchison and Carter, but I think it is worth it.

Philadelphia Sixers Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Gary Harris, Thaddeus Young, Cristiano Felicio

Outgoing Players
Al Horford, Josh Richardson, Matisse Thybulle, 34th overall pick, 36th overall pick.

The 76ers are in trouble, they have to make major changes or their entire team will likely get busted up next year. The worst contract they have is Horford. They give up Thybulle and Richardson with the picks to break Horford's deal up into 3 smaller deals, upgrading at SG with Harris (despite his offensive issues Harris is the best defender in this deal and shot 36% on spot up 3s, so he is still a great fit), and adding a solid PF that can keep up with today's spread 4s and is a good spot up shooter. Felicio is expiring so bringing him on is not the worst thing in the world.

Denver Nuggets Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Wendell Carter, Jr., Chandler Hutchison, Al Horford, Matisse Thybulle, 34th overall pick
Outgoing Players
Gary Harris, Will Barton, Monte Morris

We are at a crossroads, do you try to run it back? Do you upgrade into another star and try to fill out the bench with the MLE and minimum deals? Do you improve the bench and complete the rebuild?

Make no mistake, Horford is a terrible contract, but can we make it work with him if it fills out the rest of the team?

Thybulle is more of a classic small forward, defense, a little bit of shooting, and a lot of hustle. The thing is we can have him at SG because he does well against SGs and he shot 37% on spot up shots. He would make a great long term replacement of Harris and is cheap.

Hutchison is better than Craig on both ends, few people know that for the 1st month of the season Hutchison was shooting 40% of spot up shots before injuring his shoulder and trying to play through it. He would make a great replacement for Craig.

Carter is a wide body defensive PF/C with long reach, a developing outside shot, and a physical demeanor. He has a ways to go to be what he may become, but right now he would make a great 3rd big and can play PF with the right C.

That Center could be Horford, we can use him like the RAptors do with Gasol, limit him to 4th big status during the season, putting his as 3rd big or even starter at PF in the right matchups. He is a great defender without being a shotblocker, and he can pass well enough we do not have to destroy our offense. Run him with Carter JR during the season while we are developing WCJ, and we can have 2 very good PF/Cs to backup Jokic depending on matchups come playoff time. IN 3 years his deal is only partially guaranteed, so you maybe able to dump him half way through the 21-22 season if need be.

The pick can be combined with 22 to move up to the late teens likely or we can take a stash player as we are going to need cheap players in a couple of years.

To me the decision comes down to money. The deal only raises the salaries about $3.5 million next season, but in year 3 we are adding some major salary. With Thybulle and Horford you are just under $31 million added to the cap, which will put us around $113 million for 6 players and having to extend MPJ and Carter JR. Which almost guarantees we are into the luxury tax in year 3. Yet we should be a contender and below the tax for years 1 and 2, which puts us at a 1 time payer before we can change much.

Karl was right in 1 thing, we all know these kind of opportunities do not come around often, we have a change to win the big one but we have to make the right move. While many seem to want us to get another offensive star, I think the type of star we need is a defensive star. Murray, Jokic, and even MPJ did not let us down in the playoffs, our shooters and our bench did. I think Thybulle has the potential to develop into the best perimeter defender in the league and a 40% 3 point shooter. I also think adding him, Carter Jr, and Horford brings toughness that we really do need to support Jokic and Murray. Horford is a good enough as a passer to replace Plumlee but his defense is a huge upgrade, and he can hit outside shots so the defense cannot just collapse in the paint when he comes on the court. Carter JR and Bol can compete for minutes and we are bound to get a good PF/C out of the 2 of them long term as Horford slows down.

Draft someone like Hampton, add a little depth at SG/SF with the BAE and you have a young but very good team and you are well under the luxury tax line.

Murray/ Dozier/ Hampton
Thybulle/ Hutchison
MPJ/ Hutchison/ KBD
Grant/ Carter Jr/ Cancar
Jokic/ Horford/ Bol

Definitely like the return on this trade although I would prefer Gafford over WCJ even though Carter Jr may have more potential. Gafford seems to have a more defined role for this team and is cheaper at the moment. Horford's salary doesn't scare me as he is still somewhat productive and will become salary cap relief right when we need it. I love Thybulle and Hutchison at SG, definitely creates the defensive presence we need in both the SL as well as the 2nd unit. Feels a bit lite from our side though, I wouldn't object to adding our 22nd pick ( I'm usually the one complaining about giving the farm away) but I'm not crazy about the talent level of this draft. If we could get a future pick back, even better. As I've said before, Nuggets should be hiring you as GM, nice proposal !! One of the drawbacks would be the development of Bol and KBD, sad to see such good potential not given a chance to fulfill their promise.

skywalker33

Post#459 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 6:07 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Looking at the reports that the Nuggets tried to acquire Jrue at the tradedeadline just makes me think we really should go all-in trying to get him --- well, maybe almost all-in.

Jrue has a player option after the upcoming season and it seems almost certain he will exercise that option. Does New Orleans want to lose him for nothing? Doubtful. It seems likely he will be traded this year.

On the other hand, Denver certainly shouldn't mortgage their future for a rental - unless they are convinced they can keep him. He certainly makes Denver better and "Denver better" translates to "Championship Contender" and Jrue would likely want to stay here.

We shouldn't trade Murray or Porter (don't even talk about Jokic here). But I think we should offer them almost anything else they want, including picks. They aren't going to want an expensive PF but a sign-n-trade for Plumlee might work for them - as a short-term solution at center. Morris and/or Dozier would be nice for them and if they take both Harris & Barton, they'll want some picks.

Have to wonder how Jrue would respond to being the 3rd option and if he's willing to resign on a World Champion team for less than the $27M option he has :D :D . As said, does NOP risk losing him for nothing ?? With that option, I am not giving up a deal unless it's beneficial to us, he really doesn't help us for more than the immediate future. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition for a couple of seasons but he is already 30yo. Plus, if NOP trades him it opens up PT for NAW who I know will help the chemistry of their team as well.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#460 » by THE J0KER » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:58 am

There is nothing wrong to take 30y olds on few seasons for "winning now" teams. What was risky is signing a 32y old 3y deal as we do with Millsap.

Talking about potential trades for 30y old two-way guards, maybe Jrue Holiday is not the only option for Nuggets. Maybe Bucks Eric Bledsoe will be on the trade table very soon after rumors that Bucks are interested in CP3! Bledsoe price per year is the same as Harris, he declined in offense lately but not that much like Gary Harris, and another advantage in his favor over harris is that he can play SG and PG both. BTW from this eventual DEN-MIL-OKC three-team deal, we can get our backup center in Noel or ROBIN Lopez.

Return to Denver Nuggets