ImageImageImage

Nuggets Trades

Moderators: THE J0KER, NuggetsWY

User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,287
And1: 5,367
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#481 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:39 am

Another plus in Jrue favor is that he seems like a good teammate and positive factor in the locker room: Jrue Holiday Wins 19-20 Twyman-Stokes Teammate Of The Year Award.
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#482 » by stoo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:44 pm

I started to assume that Jokic, Murray, Monte, PJ, Grant, Bol Bol, MPJ are locks to finish the next season with the team. I added Monte, PJ and MPJ after more thinking. Obviously, we'll have to resign Grant and PJ, and Murray gave me some strange vibes on his interview after lakers, when saying he just wants to win... but anyway

Assets I believe we have for trading are Barton, Harris and picks. I was very open to trading MPJ, as a valuable asset, to acquire a better defender to back up Grant, plus MPJ wouldn't like to come off the bench. But he might work actually

That means we have 7 players. We need 2 more for a 9 man playoff rotation.
1 is an elite defensive veteran scoring PG/SG, 2 is a big body PF/C, with at least midrange shot, veteran

Targets to acquire: (Please can you answer what would be your choices with the conditions above. I'd really like to know what would be able to be done with those trade chips)

1: PG/SG Free agents: Conley, Vanvleet, Derozan

Jrue, Beal, Oladipo, Chris Paul, Shai, Schroder, , Bledsoe, , Marcus Smart, Terry Rozzier, Lavine

2: PF/C free agents Plumlee, Ibaka

Steven Adams, Valanciunas, Richaun Holmes, Favors, Naz Reed, Brook Lopez, Turner, Sabonis, WCJ, Gafford, Tristan,


These names assume we go for a 3rd scorer in a guard spot. Somebody who can create for himself and others, plus play off ball and defense. I think it would help Murray too, to score some easy points off the ball. They 2 take turns to rest

I believe we will go for a respected PF/C, just like we had Millsap and he served us well.

One option can be:

Trade Barton, Harris and a pick for Jrue. Get Ibaka in free agency. I don't know how salary cap works and that stuff. Sounds expensive :D

Murray, Jrue, MPJ, Ibaka, Jokic, with Grant, Monte, PJ and Bol coming off the bench.
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#483 » by stoo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:03 pm

In essence, I think Denver will give MPJ a chance, and try to develop him as a 3rd star. 25+ scorer, good rebounder, average in defense. That means that 4th and 5th player have to be exceptional defenders. Still, I can imagine Denver trading MPJ for a young, proven player with the upside, like JJJ

Can Grant play SG position? That would make things easier ;)

There is no reason Denver skips any season chasing the ring, so I think they will go for a shorter hire of a star, before they have to pay MPJ. Between free agents and trades, we will acquire one star player, and one improvement on different position. Harris and Barton gone. The most sense makes to get a star guard and no other moves. resign plumlee or millsap for cheap, or find a cheap improvement.

I believe that Bol can be ROY, and MPJ be more consistent as soon as next year.
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,287
And1: 5,367
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#484 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:41 pm

stoo wrote:In essence, I think Denver will give MPJ a chance, and try to develop him as a 3rd star. 25+ scorer, good rebounder, average in defense. That means that 4th and 5th player have to be exceptional defenders. Still, I can imagine Denver trading MPJ for a young, proven player with the upside, like JJJ

Can Grant play SG position? That would make things easier ;)

There is no reason Denver skips any season chasing the ring, so I think they will go for a shorter hire of a star, before they have to pay MPJ. Between free agents and trades, we will acquire one star player, and one improvement on different position. Harris and Barton gone. The most sense makes to get a star guard and no other moves. resign plumlee or millsap for cheap, or find a cheap improvement.

I believe that Bol can be ROY, and MPJ be more consistent as soon as next year.

I agree we need a guard star (Beal?), near guard star (Jrue, Brogdon, LaVine...), or notable two-way guard (Jrue, Bledsoe, Beasley, Richardson...), but instead of using MPJ to get it, we should use everything else (Harris, Barton, Bol, HOU20, DEN22).

The reason why we should keep MPJ together with his talent is his rookie contract next two seasons while treating Harris and Barton together will create cap space to the land contract of (near)star player! Max-contracts of locked Jokic and Murray should be the reason to not re-sign Millsap and Plumlee but go for cheaper solutions.

If we want to copycat the Lakers 2020 ring formula we need next season two superstars (Jokic and Murray will try), a Kuzma-like useful player under rookie contract (MPJ is already better), 3&D defensive specialist Green (Grant), several super-cheap (under 3M) but useful players Howard+Rondo+McGee (we have right now only Morris with such profile). We can bridge the gap in Lakers 2020 favor with that mysterious new star-guard and 2021 MPJ improvement. Even if Bol will be ready to significantly contribute, Malone will not use him anyway. He gives talented Nurkic to play as a rookie only 18mpg in a 30-52 team, he gives supertalented Jokic to play only 22 mpg in rookie season in a 33-49 team despite Nurkic was injured, he gives supertalented Murray as a rookie in a lottery team also just 22 mpg despite he fighting for playing time with disappointing mediocre Muddiay and 35y old veteran Nelson. He gives supertalented Porter only 16 mpg in his rookie season despite he was already the team's 3rd best player in "per 36 minutes" stats. So, no matter how Bol is talented, in his rookie season next year in a contender team Malone will give him behind impressive Nuggets Jokic-MPJ-Grant bigz probably just about 10-15 mpg, and don't forget Malone never gives true chances to Beasley and Juancho, despite so many proofs about their talent and skills.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,685
And1: 4,036
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#485 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:40 pm

THE J0KER wrote:I agree we need a guard star (Beal?), near guard star (Jrue, Brogdon, LaVine...), or notable two-way guard (Jrue, Bledsoe, Beasley, Richardson...), but instead of using MPJ to get it, we should use everything else (Harris, Barton, Bol, HOU20, DEN22).


Would it be nice to get a star guard for Harris, Barton, Bol and two low 1sts ??? Sure but is that reasonable to think it'll happen ??? Not in my opinion. And would it be proficient to trade away Bol without even seeing what he can become ??? No very prudent as at worst he can easily become one of of the supporting cast members you want to emulate.

THE J0KER wrote:If we want to copycat the Lakers 2020 ring formula we need next season two superstars (Jokic and Murray will try), a Kuzma-like useful player under rookie contract (MPJ is already better), 3&D defensive specialist Green (Grant), several super-cheap (under 3M) but useful players Howard+Rondo+McGee (we have right now only Morris with such profile). We can bridge the gap in Lakers 2020 favor with that mysterious new star-guard and 2021 MPJ improvement.


There really is no way to copycat the Lakers model, Denver will never be the appealing big market draw LA is to free agents, the NBA is supporting the Lakers with its ref, that will never happen here, Denver's market draw isn't big enough. Our two stars (Jokic and Murray) can take on any duo in the league, adding MPJ (agreed he's already better than Kuzma ) should give us a Big3 so all we'll need is the supporting cast. Grant is a better 3&D than the ever-aging Green. With Bol, Morris, Dozier and KBD/22nd pick our bench will be comparable if we can add a solid FA C/PF.


THE J0KER wrote:Even if Bol will be ready to significantly contribute, Malone will not use him anyway. He gives talented Nurkic to play as a rookie only 18mpg in a 30-52 team, he gives supertalented Jokic to play only 22 mpg in rookie season in a 33-49 team despite Nurkic was injured, he gives supertalented Murray as a rookie in a lottery team also just 22 mpg despite he fighting for playing time with disappointing mediocre Muddiay and 35y old veteran Nelson. He gives supertalented Porter only 16 mpg in his rookie season despite he was already the team's 3rd best player in "per 36 minutes" stats. So, no matter how Bol is talented, in his rookie season next year in a contender team Malone will give him behind impressive Nuggets Jokic-MPJ-Grant bigz probably just about 10-15 mpg, and don't forget Malone never gives true chances to Beasley and Juancho, despite so many proofs about their talent and skills.


That’s BS, Bol needs some development, sure but he did see time in the bubble and as he gets stronger and fills out, his talent will create minutes. And Nurkic was outplayed by Jokic, benched and pouted because of it. He caused locker room dissension, even LEFT A GAME AT HALFTIME because he couldn't handle it. Malone plays the best players that give us an opportunity to win, not because they're rookies or he plays favorites....grow up and stop putting your own rhetoric as some sort of truth !! Players need time to develop, it's just a fact and yes, Malone uses that to his discretion but he's the coach, you are not !
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 9,188
And1: 3,398
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#486 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:42 pm

Ignoring Jokic, Murray, Porter regarding trades and considering our best trade assets, I'd grade their value as follows (please feel free to disagree with me):

Barton is probably our best trade asset. A contender should be interested, especially off the bench.

Morris may have some reasonable trade value based on his consistent play throughout the season and especially during the playoffs.

Harris might have some value if someone believes he can regain his shot in another system.

Dozier will have some trade value based on the brief glimpses he has given, but the value won't be high because "potential" in guards is common.

Bol probably has little trade value because of his unique skill set and his injury history - and lack of proven ability. His value is in the few minutes he played in the Bubble.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,287
And1: 5,367
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#487 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:29 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Would it be nice to get a star guard for Harris, Barton, Bol and two low 1sts ??? Sure but is that reasonable to think it'll happen ??? Not in my opinion. And would it be proficient to trade away Bol without even seeing what he can become ??? No very prudent as at worst he can easily become one of of the supporting cast members you want to emulate.
Of course it is enough to get a very good guard (+ useful backup center) from the rebuilding team for such a bold package. Out of all these guards mentioned only Beal is a true star, the others are *just* NBA TOP50/TOP75 players, but with Jokic, Murray, Porter, and Grant already in, that should be "the missing piece" and enough to be TOP5 contender in super competitive 2021 season.

skywalker33 wrote:There really is no way to copycat the Lakers model, Denver will never be the appealing big market draw LA is to free agents, the NBA is supporting the Lakers with its ref, that will never happen here, Denver's market draw isn't big enough. Our two stars (Jokic and Murray) can take on any duo in the league, adding MPJ (agreed he's already better than Kuzma ) should give us a Big3 so all we'll need is the supporting cast. Grant is a better 3&D than the ever-aging Green. With Bol, Morris, Dozier, and KBD/22nd pick our bench will be comparable if we can add a solid FA C/PF.
LBJ+AD are not *any duo* but one of the best ever played in the basketball history (give me another which produced in a playoff 55-20-12 TS%65% numbers!), and I agree we can't attract future HoF members like Howard and Rondo to play in their old days for veterans minimum... but all that is a reason why we should stay with MPJ and instead of two good guards Harris and Barton get one better guard using also other assets (and Bol is our current best asset, better than HOU2020 #22 or late FRP2022).

skywalker33 wrote:That BS, Bol needs some development, sure but he did see time in the bubble and as he gets stronger and fills out, his talent will create minutes. And Nurkic was outplayed by Jokic, benched and pouted because of it. He caused locker room dissension, even LEFT A GAME AT HALFTIME because he couldn't handle it. Malone plays the best players that give us an opportunity to win, not because they're rookies or he plays favorites....grow up and stop putting your own rhetoric as some sort of truth !! Players need time to develop, it's just a fact and yes, Malone uses that to his discretion but he's the coach, you are not !
I talked about players rookie seasons only, and Bol Bol is officially a rookie next season despite bubble debut. I make mistake in the Nurkic case because he is a sophomore when Malone comes, but anyway, the fact is that the only rookies ever in Malone coaching career which get a chance to play over 22 minutes per game in rookie season are mediocre talents Emmanuel Mudiay and Kings Ben McLemore, not all-star caliber talents Jokic, Murray, nor Porter, so Bol Bol obvious talent is not the argument in this discussion.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,287
And1: 5,367
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#488 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:56 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Ignoring Jokic, Murray, Porter regarding trades and considering our best trade assets, I'd grade their value as follows (please feel free to disagree with me):

Barton is probably our best trade asset. A contender should be interested, especially off the bench.

Morris may have some reasonable trade value based on his consistent play throughout the season and especially during the playoffs.

Harris might have some value if someone believes he can regain his shot in another system.

Dozier will have some trade value based on the brief glimpses he has given, but the value won't be high because "potential" in guards is common.

Bol probably has little trade value because of his unique skill set and his injury history - and lack of proven ability. His value is in the few minutes he played in the Bubble.

I agree that Barton's trade value after this season is higher than Harris, which is close to negative due to the dramatic offense decline in the past two seasons. The big problem with the Harris trade is that he is the type of player much more useful for contenders than for the rest of the league, and the Nuggets are destined to make this "full package for a notable guard" deal with some rebuilding and not "winning now" team.

I'm against trading Morris despite we will probably lose him next summer when his cheap contract expires, except in the case the other side insists on him. Such an efficient player for just 1.6M salary is pure gold for contenders, and Denver is a contender.

I disagree about Bol Bol's current trade value, and I will repeat my opinion that he is today our current biggest asset after BIG3. We talking about a youngster seen to be TOP10 pick most of the time but badly downgraded on draft due to injury concerns. But already in the first season, he proved he is healthy enough to play, and the fact that he was 2nd rounder makes him even more tradable because his salary is a ridiculous two-way G-League contract, while most of the lottery pick rookie salaries are over 5 million which is not something negligible. Another thing which rising Bol Bol success was the successful Kristaps Porzingins comeback this season, especially the bubble episode. KP is with the reason the player with which Bol is compared the most.
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,658
And1: 2,841
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#489 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:06 am

THE J0KER wrote:
I disagree about Bol Bol's current trade value, and I will repeat my opinion that he is today our current biggest asset after BIG3. We talking about a youngster seen to be TOP10 pick most of the time but badly downgraded on draft due to injury concerns. But already in the first season, he proved he is healthy enough to play, and the fact that he was 2nd rounder makes him even more tradable because his salary is a ridiculous two-way G-League contract, while most of the lottery pick rookie salaries are over 5 million which is not something negligible. Another thing which rising Bol Bol success was the successful Kristaps Porzingins comeback this season, especially the bubble episode. KP is with the reason the player with which Bol is compared the most.


I like Bol too, his shooting stroke is amazing for a guy his size. Hard to give up on that much talent. However, I am not sure other teams see him the same why we do. He is not strong enough to play center and may not be quick enough to play forward or so it has been argued. Over the years, it has been apparent to me that GM's often make the mistake of looking more for a fan draw instead of potential talent. They have to sell that trade to their ticket holders.

My proof is look at the Knicks, now thinking about bringing in CP3 at age 35 with a 40 million dollar salary. For that matter, Denver was looking strongly at Dwayne Wade in his final season, a mistake the Bulls made and still regret. Bol is interesting but he does not excite opposing fans or GM's very much, so no one is giving up an good asset to get him (although they probably should). He is a developmental prospect who has a ways to go. He is not the kind of prospect that will bring back much in a trade like a lottery drafted pick or a known veteran.

The challenge for any trade is to find an asset you can part with that has the drawing power to excite another team's GM. Barton is that guy because he is close to a top 6th man for anybody. Harris used to be but seems to have driven his value down because of lack of offense. That's not to say that Bol couldn't be a sweetener for the right trade if that is what it takes to get a deal done. Then It better be a damn good deal for Denver.

The top shooting guards (who are trade available) around the league are going to be shopped for picks and good players in return. I look at Boston and think they have too many small forwards and so perhaps they are in the driver's seat for one of the top guards like Beal but I could be wrong. New Orleans is going to want a load of assets for Jrue Holiday and I am not sure Barton, Harris, Bol and draft picks are going to be enough to entice them.

That all changes if Holiday wants out.
Canned in Denver.
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#490 » by stoo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:29 am

I went thru free agents big men:

Derrick Favors
Bismack Biyombo
Tristan Thompson
Aron Baynes
Alex Len
Jakob Poeltl
Christian Wood
Chris Boucher
Willie Cauley-Stein
Nerlens Noel
Jahlil Okafor
Drew Eubanks
..there's probably more options

I'd think Malone will play Bol, because he can win ROY, and he was upset when talking of MPJ not being selected as a Rising star. I believe he does understand that he had to play him more for that to happen. Losing Millsap and Plumlee will contribute massively. I think his arms reach will cover for all the weight he lacks, and even more

I think Denver will go 1 of these 3 routes, depending on opportunities:

1. Give most assets (Harris, Barton, picks) for a good SG, Sign PJ. Sign cheap PF, can be Vonleh, Plumlee, Millsap, if good price.
Problem is Harris+Barton won't buy us much.
2. Give most assets for a star PF, Al Horford maybe. Grant 6th man. Get a Garry's replacement. PJ might develop into that
3. Part of the trade package for SG improvement, other part for PF improvement
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#491 » by stoo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:31 am

One realistic option is to keep our 4 guards, and just trade Barton and picks for a defender PF with a solid shot. I guess that had to be a trade with a team that is covered with defense, and need a score now player. Who would be the options?
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,685
And1: 4,036
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#492 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:26 am

stoo wrote:One realistic option is to keep our 4 guards, and just trade Barton and picks for a defender PF with a solid shot. I guess that had to be a trade with a team that is covered with defense, and need a score now player. Who would be the options?


Isn't that what we're expecting out of Jerami Grant ??
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,516
And1: 6,974
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#493 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:18 am

I think Morris has the most value. He shot just under 40% as a spot up shooter. He is a good game manager, an average defender at PG, and he plays well off the ball. How many teams around the league need that type of PG and would make him a starter? The 1 issue is that his contract is so small that we need someone that can fit in the Juancho TPE, a good pick, or a bigger trade.

I think Harris is the next most valuable. I am sure most would disagree with me, but before he got injured he was our 2nd best player and that was with a younger Millsap. If you really watch Harris on the nights he hit at a high rate, he took a few more shots. On the nights he just quit shooting after missing a couple, he was terrible on offense. It is easier to fix someone's confidence and shooting than it is to find someone that can defend like Harris in today's NBA with the 3 point shooting.

Barton I think is next depending on what that knee injury really was. IF he is healthy there are a lot of teams that run drive/kick or iso type offenses that could use him several of which he would start on.

Bol is next. He showed he could be effective, especially against Davis in the bubble games. Now questions about his work ethic/maturity/love of the game still exist as does long term health, but he showed he could play in the NBA.

I will add in the 22nd overall pick here. I think the guys above are worth more than the pick and the guys below worth less.

Cancar. People forget that these kids are all scouted from a young age, especially in Europe where kids go pro at 14. While he did not really do anything all season in the NBA he was getting doubled in the summer league and more than held his own in the Gleague where he put up 18 and 8 per 36 with decent defense on 58% TS. Guys his size with that kind of ability to spread the floor and score are hard to find so I am sure there are some GMs that would love to get him.

Dozier to me has no value. While he played well in the Gleague and had 2 amazing halves in the playoffs, he is really a 3rd year backup Guard that has struggled to stay in the league until here. While he fits almost perfectly what we need here, there are a lot of backup combo guards floating around.
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#494 » by stoo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:52 am

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:One realistic option is to keep our 4 guards, and just trade Barton and picks for a defender PF with a solid shot. I guess that had to be a trade with a team that is covered with defense, and need a score now player. Who would be the options?


Isn't that what we're expecting out of Jerami Grant ??


No, We have a SF Grant, now we need a PF Grant. That would probably make Grant a 6th man
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,516
And1: 6,974
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#495 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:05 am

The case for fixing the edges.

IF anybody does not think we should build around Jokic and Murray after the playoffs we just saw needs to go re-watch the playoffs.

MPJ improved the most I have ever seen from a player in such a short time in the bubble. There are many who were pissed and blamed the loss on his not being on the court at the end of game 5. As a rookie that had barely played in 3 years. As I said in the MPJ thread, the only way I trade him is if we get Beal and than it is going to be Harris and picks with them adding a minor player.

Those 3 have a chance to be a dynasty. They fit well together, their games perfectly and their personalities just as well for what you want to lead the team. The quiet confidence that just wants to win, the never say die, and the guy who talks to much but backs it up.

I have read and heard that Harris's biggest issue is his confidence. Does he need a change of scenery or should we just hire him a great sports psychologist and get him back on track? There were about 15 games in February and March where Harris was shooting 70% TS%, he still moves as quick, jumps as high, and as talented as he was 3 years ago. There are only a couple of guys in the league I would rather have than that Harris, so I would prefer to just keep him and try to help him work out his issues. I do think you have to limit him to about 20 mpg during the season though.

Grant guarded (assuming he is brought back) the SFs and smaller PFs well throughout the playoffs. With Porter I think they will be fine at forwards defensively next season as very few teams have 2 real bigs starting.

As much as Barton annoys us, and as little as I trust him in the playoffs, he is a useful and hard to find player. He can guard SGs and SFs very well, he can shoot off the ball as long as he has it going, and he can create for himself and others.

Murray seems to play worse with Barton, but Morris plays well with him. They both like to have the ball but can play on or off the ball. With both guy's shooting that opens the lane for each other so we do not have to depend so heavily on our backup Center creating shots. If you bring Barton and Morris off the bench than Dozier is a very solid option at backup SG as he will get 12 MPG to just come in and hustle while driving to the rim.

Bol/Cancar/KBD all have potential to be solid rotation guys in the NBA, but they need minutes against NBA competition to see what they have. IF we don't want them to contribute by next year why keep them?

With that idea I would actually offer Millsap a 1 year deal for $6-8 million with the idea that he may or may not play during the early part of the regular season depending on matchups and how the young guys are developing. That will keep him fresh and healthy for when we need him.

That leaves Craig and Plumlee as the guys you have to replace.

with Cancar and KBD able to play SF and Dozier/ Harris/ and Barton all needing minutes at SG I really do not see a spot for Craig. You can let him walk and draft a higher potential SG/SF to be 4th or 5th on the depth chart.

I still think Plumlee gets a full MLE type of deal, and I do not think he is worth it. I would sign a guy like Baynes.

People are all talking about going all in, and I am very opposed to that. That is how you end up like the 76ers and Rockets. For all the hype of the Warriors having so much talent, Green and a lot of guys had to sacrifice their shots to make it work. You need good role players around your stars, we have Jokic, Murray, and MPJ for at least the next 3 years, people can argue all they like but Harris is a star defender, if he even improves his 3 point shot to 35% he is a great fit. We need to improve our bench which moving barton there will do, and we need a defensive backup C, and our other young guys to develop. Don't panic and screw it up.
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#496 » by stoo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:41 pm

I can't way to see the new roster. I expect to be just slightly changed like always. Whatever our FO does, I'll trust they did their best
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,685
And1: 4,036
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#497 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:53 pm

stoo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:One realistic option is to keep our 4 guards, and just trade Barton and picks for a defender PF with a solid shot. I guess that had to be a trade with a team that is covered with defense, and need a score now player. Who would be the options?


Isn't that what we're expecting out of Jerami Grant ??


No, We have a SF Grant, now we need a PF Grant. That would probably make Grant a 6th man


Grant is our PF, Porter Jr is our SF
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
User avatar
stoo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 840
And1: 589
Joined: Jun 11, 2018
 

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#498 » by stoo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:20 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Isn't that what we're expecting out of Jerami Grant ??


No, We have a SF Grant, now we need a PF Grant. That would probably make Grant a 6th man


Grant is our PF, Porter Jr is our SF


I'm just thinking some playoff matchups, have to be prepared for big bodies 1on1 defense.. If we assume Grant is enough in defense next to Jokic and MPJ, maybe we're wrong :) thou it is not impossible

I think Bol might turn out as one of the best weak side defenders in the league, and also versatile.. He just needs to learn more

Still, I feel like we will acquire one solid big body defender, over Plumlee. Maybe we try to improve Garry's spot, maybe just trade Barton for that big 3&D

Also, I think Denver will make 1 big move beside developing their players. We will see soon, or later during the trade season
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzlies
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,685
And1: 4,036
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#499 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:55 pm

stoo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
No, We have a SF Grant, now we need a PF Grant. That would probably make Grant a 6th man


Grant is our PF, Porter Jr is our SF


I'm just thinking some playoff matchups, have to be prepared for big bodies 1on1 defense.. If we assume Grant is enough in defense next to Jokic and MPJ, maybe we're wrong :) thou it is not impossible

I think Bol might turn out as one of the best weak side defenders in the league, and also versatile.. He just needs to learn more

Still, I feel like we will acquire one solid big body defender, over Plumlee. Maybe we try to improve Garry's spot, maybe just trade Barton for that big 3&D

Also, I think Denver will make 1 big move beside developing their players. We will see soon, or later during the trade season


Some good points here yet nobody really knows what's gonna happen.

I agree with Bol but I feel he has a pretty decent BBIQ already, I feel his lack of weight and injury history is what's gonna keep his minutes lower than most would want. If he could get back up to the 245-260lbs range we have a player.

With Plumlee likely leaving we do need another big body who can play some PF defense as well as backup C. The Rebel has mentioned Tristan Thompson who I agree has the size and athleticism to deal with the AD's of the Western Conference. Grant, while having a strong defensive presence along with a 7'3" wingspan still struggles with AD-type players so help is needed.

As for one BIG move, doesn't feel likely. While most here like our assets, it always takes two to work a deal and recent injuries to Harris, Barton along with low draft picks over the next few years doesn't lend to the makings of any BIG deals, hope I'm wrong there.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,658
And1: 2,841
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#500 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 8, 2020 7:28 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Grant is our PF, Porter Jr is our SF


I'm just thinking some playoff matchups, have to be prepared for big bodies 1on1 defense.. If we assume Grant is enough in defense next to Jokic and MPJ, maybe we're wrong :) thou it is not impossible

I think Bol might turn out as one of the best weak side defenders in the league, and also versatile.. He just needs to learn more

Still, I feel like we will acquire one solid big body defender, over Plumlee. Maybe we try to improve Garry's spot, maybe just trade Barton for that big 3&D

Also, I think Denver will make 1 big move beside developing their players. We will see soon, or later during the trade season


Some good points here yet nobody really knows what's gonna happen.

I agree with Bol but I feel he has a pretty decent BBIQ already, I feel his lack of weight and injury history is what's gonna keep his minutes lower than most would want. If he could get back up to the 245-260lbs range we have a player.

With Plumlee likely leaving we do need another big body who can play some PF defense as well as backup C. The Rebel has mentioned Tristan Thompson who I agree has the size and athleticism to deal with the AD's of the Western Conference. Grant, while having a strong defensive presence along with a 7'3" wingspan still struggles with AD-type players so help is needed.

As for one BIG move, doesn't feel likely. While most here like our assets, it always takes two to work a deal and recent injuries to Harris, Barton along with low draft picks over the next few years doesn't lend to the makings of any BIG deals, hope I'm wrong there.


That's the crux of the matter. Our best assets are not going to be traded and Barton, Harris and our picks are not enough to make a big deal.

Perhaps the Nuggets think that Harris will make a return to his 2017 level of play and if that happens the Nuggets will be improved. Perhaps Barton will be the sixth man of the year. It's possible but injuries have derailed them both so far.

Resigning Grant and finding a backup center appear to be the major off season strategy. If Grant is not resigned then we will have some interesting debates coming up.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets