Nuggets Trades

Moderator: THE J0KER

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#641 » by Richard Miller » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:Spending that much money on someone "not likely to get a lot of minutes" doesn't seem like a good plan, specially since he was dumpster fire in Sacramento, better just resign Plumlee then for less money.

You spend money on insurance but may never use it, but really handy to have when you need it. Taking on Dedmon fills the need on a short-term deal while getting you a good draft pick ( I love the idea of Vassell, several other good choices at #6 too )and a nice younger replacement for Barton.

You sure seem to be defending Barton a lot for "not a fan". Let's hear your ideas on how to improve the Nuggets, I'd be interested to discuss.

Accidentally there is a topic already, and people are mentioning better offers as far as I can see. Not to mention that Deadmon is insurance as much as Plumlee is insurance - i.e. no insurance at all, but Plumlee at least is not a potential locker room cancer like Deadmon was in Sacramento. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2011338

Imo, unless the Nuggets can get a legit star like Jrue they shouldn't do anything, other than find a cheap center/resign some of the own FAs cheaply, I don't see much sense in lateral trades or as some suggested, in bringing 5 new guys, only to end up with 8 or 9 players who never spent a minute together. Specially not in these conditions where the off season is going to be shorter than ever.

Maybe get Gallo if he's going to be ok being a bench guy (doesn't seem super likely though, for someone who spent a whole career as a starter) or perhaps take a swing at Cousins if the doctors green light him and he can commit to a limited role (also not super likely)

Probably would first wait for the draft though, and see are they really going to trade up as some rumors suggested, and maybe get someone who can actually contribute, but other than that, either go big or stand pat, would rather not trade just for the sake of trading.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#642 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Atlanta reportedly really wants to make the playoffs this year, and their biggest issue is that they need a secondary ball handler that can play defense and shoot while creating for himself. Sounds like Barton to me.

Would you guys do

Will Barton for Dedmon, Huerter, and the 6th overall pick? Would you prefer Reddish over the 6th pick? Would Atlanta do it?

Dedmon is overpaid at $13.3 million each of the next 2 years, the Kings gave up 2 2nd round picks to dump him, but he is a suitable backup C to compete with Bol and Vonleh for minutes.

Huerter looks like he is going to be a knockdown 3 point shooter with decent defense.

You should be able to get a pretty good prospect at 6 let's say Vassell.

IT would leave a lineup of
Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Huerter/ Vassell
MPJ/ KBD
Bol/ Cancar
Jokic/ Dedmon

Heading into free agency where we could re-sign Grant and pick up a more proven 3/4 like Gallo and use the BAE on another PF/C.
Dedmon, Huerter, and 6th pick is a fair price for Barton only if that 6th pick is from 2nd round of the draft (aka #36), and I would accept that offer any day if Hawks offer it for Barton (they actually currently are not owners of any #31-39 2nd round pick this draft). With Dedmon, Huerter, and 6th pick they can try to get all-star Beal (especially if they add 2022 first to that offer). Hawks are the team with the biggest cap hole, so they don't have any problem with the 12M Dedmon contract. BTW they can use their 2020 6th pick OR Zion Williamson Duke buddy Reddish to get Jrue Holiday in a 1/1 deal, so why they would waste it on Barton, which is a decent player worthy (maybe!) late FRP (isn't we get OKC starter Grant with a cheaper contract than Barton for #25 pick?).

We can be part of that #6 trade only as of the 3rd side. For example:

New Orleans: #6, Reddish, Gary Harris, Bol Bol, #22, Dedmon
Atlanta: Ingram (S&T max), Barton
Denver: Jrue Holiday, #39, #42, #50, #60

You always seem to want to give away Denver's farm rather than truly value our players, seriously.... :banghead: and come back with Jrue and 2nds....

Well, I think we're overpaying a bit in this deal - but I'd still do it. Harris + Barton + Bol + #22 for Jrue --- We'd still have plenty of guards and I think Jrue can make a big difference (if only for a couple of years). Meanwhile, our other young players can develop some. (Now, I'd rather keep Bol - if I could make one change.)
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#643 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:02 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Atlanta reportedly really wants to make the playoffs this year, and their biggest issue is that they need a secondary ball handler that can play defense and shoot while creating for himself. Sounds like Barton to me.

Would you guys do

Will Barton for Dedmon, Huerter, and the 6th overall pick? Would you prefer Reddish over the 6th pick? Would Atlanta do it?

Dedmon is overpaid at $13.3 million each of the next 2 years, the Kings gave up 2 2nd round picks to dump him, but he is a suitable backup C to compete with Bol and Vonleh for minutes.

Huerter looks like he is going to be a knockdown 3 point shooter with decent defense.

Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Huerter/ Vassell
MPJ/ KBD
Bol/ Cancar
Jokic/ Dedmon

Heading into free agency where we could re-sign Grant and pick up a more proven 3/4 like Gallo and use the BAE on another PF/C.
Dedmon, Huerter, and 6th pick is a fair price for Barton only if that 6th pick is from 2nd round of the draft (aka #36), and I would accept that offer any day if Hawks offer it for Barton (they actually currently are not owners of any #31-39 2nd round pick this draft). With Dedmon, Huerter, and 6th pick they can try to get all-star Beal (especially if they add 2022 first to that offer). Hawks are the team with the biggest cap hole, so they don't have any problem with the 12M Dedmon contract. BTW they can use their 2020 6th pick OR Zion Williamson Duke buddy Reddish to get Jrue Holiday in a 1/1 deal, so why they would waste it on Barton, which is a decent player worthy (maybe!) late FRP (isn't we get OKC starter Grant with a cheaper contract than Barton for #25 pick?).

We can be part of that #6 trade only as of the 3rd side. For example:

New Orleans: #6, Reddish, Gary Harris, Bol Bol, #22, Dedmon
Atlanta: Ingram (S&T max), Barton
Denver: Jrue Holiday, #39, #42, #50, #60

You always seem to want to give away Denver's farm rather than truly value our players, seriously.... :banghead: and come back with Jrue and 2nds....

Sorry, but what is the sense of great trades for Denver if no way the other side is crazy enough to offer/accept it? If the playoff team two-way starter Grant under $10M contract price was #25 pick last summer, and if we can't get anything better for expiring Beasley and Juancho both than #22 pick, why on Earth (injured?) Barton under $14M contract price is #6 pick?? The key piece to get Doncic for Dallas was their #5 pick, and for Minnesota to get Butler was their #7 draft pick, so why would Hawks suddenly waste their #6 pick on someone like Barton (with all respect to him, but that is just not even close to his real market price)? I can post here offer Barton or Harris (or both) for Doncic or Butler, and Denver will probably win the ring already next season after such a deal, but what is the point if there are zero chances for such trade? BTW, Jrue Holiday was once already traded for the #6 pick, back in 2013 as 23y old all-star player which produced last season in Philadelphia 18-8-4 numbers with notable defense.

The point of all my Jrue (+2nds) trade offers is to make Denver more competitive for the title race, and to give others what they need. The point of our 2020 main (blockbuster) trade should be to get a better guard starter than Harris/Barton or to get a notable forward if we not re-sign Grant. Here is a new realistic example of trade we involved in the Atlanta eventual #6 (+Huerter and Deadmon) deal:

Indiana (for rebuild): #6, #22, DEN2022, Harris, Morris, Dedmon
Atlanta (for playoff): Oladipo, Barton, (S&T)Millsap
Denver (for the ring): Brogdon, Bitadze, Huerter, #50, #54
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#644 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:45 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Sorry, but what is the sense of great trades for Denver if no way the other side is crazy enough to offer/accept it? If the playoff team two-way starter Grant under $10M contract price was #25 pick last summer, and if we can't get anything better for expiring Beasley and Juancho both than #22 pick, why on Earth (injured?) Barton under $14M contract price is #6 pick?? The key piece to get Doncic for Dallas was their #5 pick, and for Minnesota to get Butler was their #7 draft pick, so why would Hawks suddenly waste their #6 pick on someone like Barton (with all respect to him, but that is just not even close to his real market price)? I can post here offer Barton or Harris (or both) for Doncic or Butler, and Denver will probably win the ring already next season after such a deal, but what is the point if there are zero chances for such trade? BTW, Jrue Holiday was once already traded for the #6 pick, back in 2013 as 23y old all-star player which produced last season in Philadelphia 18-8-4 numbers with notable defense.

I can agree the trades need to make sense for both teams else it won't happen. But you also need to look at the circumstances surrounding it, not just the pieces involved. Grant was traded by OKC to Denver because they were already dismantling their existing team, trading away their best player in Westbrook to gain draft capital. The same goes for Grant, who they were expecting to lose in FA this year. Rather than lose him fleeing from a rebuilding team, they chose to trade him for a 1st, letting us take the risk of losing him for nothing. Denver was also in the same boat with Beasley and Juancho, do you get what you can and trade them and get something or let them walk for nothing ?? Denver decided to trade them rather than let them hit the open market and lose both for nothing. They perceived Beasley was going to ask for $15M+ (which he very well may get), do you pay that kind of money for a backup ( with Malone demanding defense out of the team, it was evident he was going to be starting Harris and his defensive prowess, not Beasley and his poor defensive efforts) ??

And be honest here, the Doncic draft was clearly head and shoulders better than this draft, the 6th pick in this talent-class is probably around the 15th-20th pick in Doncic's draft class, you just can't compare apples to oranges just because they're a fruit, get real here. Haven't you noticed many of the top teams are WILLING to trade their top 10 picks in this year's draft and asked yourself why?? It's not a very solid draft so the value isn't there. I'm betting some guys picked in the teens will be just as good if not better than a few of the top 10 picks, this year's draft is a crapshoot.

THE J0KER wrote:The point of all my Jrue (+2nds) trade offers is to make Denver more competitive for the title race, and to give others what they need. The point of our 2020 main (blockbuster) trade should be to get a better guard starter than Harris/Barton or to get a notable forward if we not re-sign Grant. Here is a new realistic example of trade we involved in the Atlanta eventual #6 (+Huerter and Deadmon) deal:

Realistic by what standards ?? I see it as you're giving away our starting SG, last year's starting SF, who had his best year as a pro, our sixth man PG (who could easily be a starter in the league IMO), a S&T for our starting PF from last year AND TWO 1st round picks for a starting PG who moves Murray over to SG I presume ?(not sure that's a great idea), a backup C, a backup SG along with two late-round 2nds who probably not even going to make the team. You gotta be kidding me ?? That's 3/5 of our starting lineup, four of our top 8 along with two 1st for ONE starter.

You'll question Barton's health but don't question the value of Olidapo ?? That guy hasn't been the same after a HUGE injury but he makes this worth the haul IND is getting ?? That's the way I see this (and a few of your other proposals) as being lop-sided.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#645 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm

Richard Miller wrote:Incidentally, there is a topic already, and people are mentioning better offers as far as I can see. Not to mention that Dedmon is insurance as much as Plumlee is insurance - i.e. no insurance at all, but Plumlee at least is not a potential locker room cancer like Deadmon was in Sacramento. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2011338

Well, "posters/fans" are ALWAYS willing to offer up the world in trades to appear to make their teams better (even if it doesn't in the real world/long-term), these are just fantasies and opinions (kinda like mine). Hard to call Dedmon a cancer because he wanted to get beyond a SAC franchise that literally creates a dysfunctional locker room, nobody likes losing and the affect it can have. And yet, SAC has been so poorly run, who wouldn't want out ? As for Plumlee, he flames out nearly EVERY playoff series, so even at a discounted price are you sure that's what you want for this team ??

Richard Miller wrote:Imo,unless the Nuggets can get a legit star like Jrue they shouldn't do anything, other than find a cheap center/resign some of the own FAs cheaply, I don't see much sense in lateral trades or as some suggested, in bringing 5 new guys, only to end up with 8 or 9 players who never spent a minute together. Specially not in these conditions where the off season is going to be shorter than ever.

So, if we stand pat, aren't we destined to be the same team we were last year, do you enjoy seeing us struggle against the Jazz, Clips and Lakers ? And don't you think THEY are going to make moves to improve, where will that put is by standing pat ?? I agree with not making lateral moves but most of the suggestions here actually look like improvements to me, as WY says "I could be wrong, have been in the past"

Richard Miller wrote:Maybe get Gallo if he's going to be ok being a bench guy (doesn't seem super likely though, for someone who spent a whole career as a starter) or perhaps take a swing at Cousins if the doctors green light him and he can commit to a limited role (also not super likely)

Most players know that at a certain point in their careers they are no longer the players they once were. While they surely would love to always be a starter, many players later in their career just want to win, even if it make them take a secondary role especially if they can win a championship. Gallo is on record as saying he'd like to win so your supposition it seems unlikely doesn't exactly relegated with his own statements on the record. As has been pointed out, there are several good options other than Cousins (although I personally like the idea) to fill the backup C role, I am committed to moving on from Plumlee.

Richard Miller wrote:Probably would first wait for the draft though, and see are they really going to trade up as some rumors suggested, and maybe get someone who can actually contribute, but other than that, either go big or stand pat, would rather not trade just for the sake of trading.

Definitely agree with this and it has to happen anyway as the draft precedes the free-agent market. Whoever falls to us in the draft will show us what holes we will need to sign or trade for.

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#646 » by Richard Miller » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:15 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Hard to call Dedmon a cancer because he wanted to get beyond a SAC franchise that literally creates a dysfunctional locker room, nobody likes losing and the affect it can have. And yet, SAC has been so poorly run, who wouldn't want out ? As for Plumlee, he flames out nearly EVERY playoff series, so even at a discounted price are you sure that's what you want for this team ??

He barely came there and immediately wanted out, after playing like crap and complaining about his minutes and his role? Not like he's some big star or something, if I'm not mistaken most of his career he's been a bench player. Sac may have been dysfunctional, but Dedmon was downright unprofessional. Now he's back being a starting center, do you think he's going to be happy with "limited minutes"? He's expensive, has no meaningful PO experience and questionable fit at best.

skywalker33 wrote:So, if we stand pat, aren't we destined to be the same team we were last year, do you enjoy seeing us struggle against the Jazz, Clips and Lakers ? And don't you think THEY are going to make moves to improve, where will that put is by standing pat ?? I agree with not making lateral moves but most of the suggestions here actually look like improvements to me, as WY says "I could be wrong, have been in the past"

Struggle against the Jazz was mostly due to missing two starters and coming to the bubble late and with less than 10 players. As soon as Gary came back it was a different ballgame. Clips series too would've looked different if they didn't have to play after a single freakin' day of rest, but in any case, players like Dedmon wouldn't be the difference makers against Clips or Lakers anyway. Jazz already spent a lot on Conley and Rudy is eligible for supermax. Good luck with that.

There is value in continuity that is seriously being underestimated here. If anything, we have seen that integrating a single player that was supposed to be a seamless fit (Grant) isn't actually that seamless, and he needed quite some time to look good, so I'm wary of those suggestions that have the Nuggets change half of the team, don't think it's realistic much. I mean, the Nuggets still have Cancar, KBD, Vonleh, Bol - if they are not going to be packed as well in some offer, they need some minutes too or they will be just fans with the court-side seats. :D
skywalker33

Post#647 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Hard to call Dedmon a cancer because he wanted to get beyond a SAC franchise that literally creates a dysfunctional locker room, nobody likes losing and the affect it can have. And yet, SAC has been so poorly run, who wouldn't want out ? As for Plumlee, he flames out nearly EVERY playoff series, so even at a discounted price are you sure that's what you want for this team ??

He barely came there and immediately wanted out, after playing like crap and complaining about his minutes and his role? Not like he's some big star or something, if I'm not mistaken most of his career he's been a bench player. Sac may have been dysfunctional, but Dedmon was downright unprofessional. Now he's back being a starting center, do you think he's going to be happy with "limited minutes"? He's expensive, has no meaningful PO experience and questionable fit at best.

skywalker33 wrote:So, if we stand pat, aren't we destined to be the same team we were last year, do you enjoy seeing us struggle against the Jazz, Clips and Lakers ? And don't you think THEY are going to make moves to improve, where will that put is by standing pat ?? I agree with not making lateral moves but most of the suggestions here actually look like improvements to me, as WY says "I could be wrong, have been in the past"

Struggle against the Jazz was mostly due to missing two starters and coming to the bubble late and with less than 10 players. As soon as Gary came back it was a different ballgame. Clips series too would've looked different if they didn't have to play after a single freakin' day of rest, but in any case, players like Dedmon wouldn't be the difference makers against Clips or Lakers anyway. Jazz already spent a lot on Conley and Rudy is eligible for supermax. Good luck with that.

There is value in continuity that is seriously being underestimated here. If anything, we have seen that integrating a single player that was supposed to be a seamless fit (Grant) isn't actually that seamless, and he needed quite some time to look good, so I'm wary of those suggestions that have the Nuggets change half of the team, don't think it's realistic much. I mean, the Nuggets still have Cancar, KBD, Vonleh, Bol - if they are not going to be packed as well in some offer, they need some minutes too or they will be just fans with the court-side seats. :D

You're arguing over Dedmon yet he isn't the reason for this trade, he's cap fodder at best. We're taking on a dead weight cap space to obtain Hueter and the 6th pick....priorities !!

And the Jazz were missing Bogdanovic so there's that. LAC has already changed coaches, an improvement IMO. The JAZZ were just bought by new ownership, sure more changes are coming, new owners usually want to make BIG improvements.

Chemistry is very important, most of the changes that aren't "seamless" are being made to the bench, not the starting lineup, big difference there that's where chemistry matters the most. And you bring up Vonlah and KBD, both were integrated late in the season so changes can be made w/o all hope being lost.

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#648 » by Richard Miller » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:20 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
You're arguing over Dedmon yet he isn't the reason for this trade, he's cap fodder at best. We're taking on a dead weight cap space to obtain Hueter and the 6th pick....priorities !!

And the Jazz were missing Bogdanovic so there's that. LAC has already changed coaches, an improvement IMO. The JAZZ were just bought by new ownership, sure more changes are coming, new owners usually want to make BIG improvements.

Chemistry is very important, most of the changes that aren't "seamless" are being made to the bench, not the starting lineup, big difference there that's where chemistry matters the most. And you bring up Vonlah and KBD, both were integrated late in the season so changes can be made w/o all hope being lost.

Chances of getting that #6 pick with that offer I'd say are next to zero imo, but that's just my opinion. Clippers getting the new coach isn't an improvement until they prove it on the court.
skywalker33

Post#649 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Chances of getting that #6 pick with that offer I'd say are next to zero imo, but that's just my opinion. Clippers getting the new coach isn't an improvement until they prove it on the court.

Well, at least one other shares your opinion but that's what's this is about, to discuss those opinions. And honesty, player acquisitions aren't improvements until proven on the court, great observation.

And btw, you have yet to put out any of your own proposals to discuss, but are quite quick to opine others proposals, conveniently

Feel free to step up !! :)

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#650 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:The point of all my Jrue (+2nds) trade offers is to make Denver more competitive for the title race, and to give others what they need. The point of our 2020 main (blockbuster) trade should be to get a better guard starter than Harris/Barton or to get a notable forward if we not re-sign Grant. Here is a new realistic example of trade we involved in the Atlanta eventual #6 (+Huerter and Deadmon) deal:

Realistic by what standards ?? I see it as you're giving away our starting SG, last year's starting SF, who had his best year as a pro, our sixth man PG (who could easily be a starter in the league IMO), a S&T for our starting PF from last year AND TWO 1st round picks for a starting PG who moves Murray over to SG I presume ?(not sure that's a great idea), a backup C, a backup SG along with two late-round 2nds who probably not even going to make the team. You gotta be kidding me ?? That's 3/5 of our starting lineup, four of our top 8 along with two 1st for ONE starter.

You'll question Barton's health but don't question the value of Olidapo ?? That guy hasn't been the same after a HUGE injury but he makes this worth the haul IND is getting ?? That's the way I see this (and a few of your other proposals) as being lop-sided.

:o
I'm really confused. One page ago you claimed that Will Barton ALONE is a realistic price for #6+Huerter+Deadmon, but now suddenly Barton AND Oladipo (+S&T Millsap) are not enough for the same package!?

And yes, I would without thinking too much trade 3 out of our 2020 usual starting five players, because all three new starters Brogdon, Porter, and Grant, will be clearly better players in 2021 on their positions than Harris, Barton, and Millsap, and with both starting (combo)guards Murray and Brogdon ability to play on point guard spot, SG-Huerter will be more useful backup-guard than PG-Morris. BTW, don't be surprised if 2020 champions Lakers will change 3 out of their starting five via trades this offseason, but that is another story.

For me, the Murray-Brogdon-Porter-Grant-Jokic lineup is much better for ring race than the same with Harris instead of Brogdon, and even bench would not be necessary worse with using on the smart way $10M extra in the cap on FA market after that trade.

There is interesting news that Mark Cuban finally realizes how was unrealistic his plan to get Giannis next summer, so he decides to get some 3rd star this offseason. Personally, I don't see enough assets in Dallas to get a star despite everything except Luka and KP is on the table. I guess his targets will be some Euro big, like Vucevic or Gobert. We can be the 3rd side of that deal sending Barton and #22 to get from Mavs #18, #31, and Boban Marjanovic.
skywalker33

Post#651 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 am

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

:o
I'm really confused. One page ago you claimed that Will Barton ALONE is a realistic price for #6+Huerter+Deadmon, but now suddenly Barton AND Oladipo (+S&T Millsap) are not enough for the same package!?

And yes, I would without thinking too much trade 3 out of our 2020 usual starting five players, because all three new starters Brogdon, Porter, and Grant, will be clearly better players in 2021 on their positions than Harris, Barton, and Millsap, and with both starting (combo)guards Murray and Brogdon ability to play on point guard spot, SG-Huerter will be more useful backup-guard than PG-Morris. BTW, don't be surprised if 2020 champions Lakers will change 3 out of their starting five via trades this offseason, but that is another story.

For me, the Murray-Brogdon-Porter-Grant-Jokic lineup is much better for ring race than the same with Harris instead of Brogdon, and even bench would not be necessary worse with using on the smart way $10M extra in the cap on FA market after that trade.

There is interesting news that Mark Cuban finally realizes how was unrealistic his plan to get Giannis next summer, so he decides to get some 3rd star this offseason. Personally, I don't see enough assets in Dallas to get a star despite everything except Luka and KP is on the table. I guess his targets will be some Euro big, like Vucevic or Gobert. We can be the 3rd side of that deal sending Barton and #22 to get from Mavs #18, #31, and Boban Marjanovic.

You are confused, it isn’t the SAME package. I was pointing out your concern about Barton’s injury yet you didn’t have issue on Oladipo’s after his injury. And your trade DOESNT have us getting #6 and Hueter, we’re now getting Brogdon, who forces Murray out of position, and Bitadze and Hueter along with 2 draft picks that hold minimal value, big difference to me, again, apple and oranges dude.

And to clarify, I NEVER said 6+Dedmon+Hueter for Barton was fair, I said I liked it and then added if we added #20 and ATL added #50 I thought it would be closer.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#652 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:Spending that much money on someone "not likely to get a lot of minutes" doesn't seem like a good plan, specially since he was dumpster fire in Sacramento, better just resign Plumlee then for less money.

You spend money on insurance but may never use it, but really handy to have when you need it. Taking on Dedmon fills the need on a short-term deal while getting you a good draft pick ( I love the idea of Vassell, several other good choices at #6 too )and a nice younger replacement for Barton.

You sure seem to be defending Barton a lot for "not a fan". Let's hear your ideas on how to improve the Nuggets, I'd be interested to discuss.

Accidentally there is a topic already, and people are mentioning better offers as far as I can see. Not to mention that Deadmon is insurance as much as Plumlee is insurance - i.e. no insurance at all, but Plumlee at least is not a potential locker room cancer like Deadmon was in Sacramento. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2011338.

Does Plumlee bring 2 young players on cheap contracts that can fill roles we need? Also Dedmon is a locker room cancer because he was promised a role and than the team changed his role and what they wanted from him? IF that is the case is Barton not a locker room cancer then? He has complained in the media about being a starter, that is worse than Dedmon did in Sacremento.
Richard Miller wrote:Imo, unless the Nuggets can get a legit star like Jrue they shouldn't do anything, other than find a cheap center/resign some of the own FAs cheaply, I don't see much sense in lateral trades or as some suggested, in bringing 5 new guys, only to end up with 8 or 9 players who never spent a minute together. Specially not in these conditions where the off season is going to be shorter than ever..

So stand pat while the Lakers, Mavs, Jazz, Clippers, Rockets, and everybody else is doing what they can to improve? That is what the Bucks did last year, that worked out great for them. The 76ers chased the big names, and we saw how that worked for them.

Do you realize that including the playoffs we were 1 game over 500 from the Beasley/juancho trade through the end of the playoffs? The only reason we did well in the playoffs is because Murray and Jokic played great, MPJ was better than expected, and Harris and Grant played their roles well. IN the western conference that record does not even get us into the playoffs, and bringing back Millsap and Craig who were both obviously declining and Plumlee who has a long history of failure in the playoffs is a recipe for disaster.

Richard Miller wrote:Maybe get Gallo if he's going to be ok being a bench guy (doesn't seem super likely though, for someone who spent a whole career as a starter) or perhaps take a swing at Cousins if the doctors green light him and he can commit to a limited role (also not super likely).

Wait you want Cousins, but don't want to take Dedmon with assets because of Dedmon's issues in Sacramento? You cannot be serious?
Richard Miller wrote:Probably would first wait for the draft though, and see are they really going to trade up as some rumors suggested, and maybe get someone who can actually contribute, but other than that, either go big or stand pat, would rather not trade just for the sake of trading.

You do realize this is not a video game don't you? Role players matter, and anybody watching during the playoffs saw that we did not have the role players to win. The 76ers went big last summer, there is literally 1 team in NBA history that even succeeded with 4 stars, and that was the Warriors with all 4 agreeing to set aside their stats for the good of the team. Every other team with 4 stars failed and failed badly.

It it funny to me how many so called fans do not realize that role players matter. that an entire roster goes into winning a championship. I cannot remember a single championship team that has won without role players that fit and play their role well. We have a 2 1/2 star team with a SF that refuses to play in the system, a 6th man that plays behind 1 of our stars, a SG that forgot how to shoot, and not a single proven PF on the roster. Yet you want to bring back a backup Center that has proven to be a failure in the playoffs, a PF that was obviously a step slow for his role on defense all year, and a backup SG/SF that was obviously slowing down. We likely do not even get homecourt next season doing that.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#653 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Richard Miller wrote:

I love how you pick a part of a deal and ignore the rest, but we will get to that at another time.

so you do not like Dedmon because he complained about not getting the role he was promised right after signing, but you constantly defend Barton? Do you not remember Barton openly complaining about being a starter even in the media? Do you not remember just a few weeks ago when Barton was supposed to be back and suddenly disappeared from the bubble? You know when the team was shocked because he did not even warn them? When our President of basketball operations was admitting in interviews that they did not know what was going on with him and that he was medically cleared to play before he left? Or Barton texting with national TV announcers saying he was coming back in the next 2 days and then not appearing? So Dedmon is unprofessional but Barton is a guy we have to hang onto?

Also please tell me how a Center that is a better defender than Plumlee and can hit 3 point shots is not a good fit on this roster? Did you miss the packed lane that we faced throughout the playoffs?
Richard Miller wrote:

Someone that would have been wide open or faced 1 of the Jazz out of the paint would not have made a difference against the Jazz? That is funny, it sure seems like our offense opened up when Harris got back because they had to cover him on the perimeter.

By the way maybe you missed it, the Jazz were just sold to a billionaire Jazz fan that has grown up cheering for them. With the Jazz always being the only major sports team in the region and drawing fans from throughout Utah, Idaho, and northern Nevada they have considerably better revenue than the Nuggets, and now have an owner who may not worry about losses.

You also have the Mavericks openly willing to add salary, you have the Lakers likely getting better, you have the Warriors with their 3 stars and whatever else they add this year to rebuild their bench.
Richard Miller wrote:There is value in continuity that is seriously being underestimated here. If anything, we have seen that integrating a single player that was supposed to be a seamless fit (Grant) isn't actually that seamless, and he needed quite some time to look good, so I'm wary of those suggestions that have the Nuggets change half of the team, don't think it's realistic much. I mean, the Nuggets still have Cancar, KBD, Vonleh, Bol - if they are not going to be packed as well in some offer, they need some minutes too or they will be just fans with the court-side seats. :D

Continuity is so important is has made a huge difference for the Lakers and Heat this year.

How do you figure Grant had trouble fitting in the roster this year? We were in contention for the 1st seed most of the season and he played well depending on matchups, as he did in the playoffs and has his whole career. The only really bad lineups that Grant had during the season were with Craig, Plumlee, and Barton on the court, he struggled with Craig and Plumlee on the court in the playoffs and we all know what happened with Quitter.

Did you know our starting lineup was a +7.2 during the season? That is one of the best starting lineups in the league. For reference the 76ers starting lineup that everybody talks about being a great starting lineup put up +8.4.

The real issue with this team is we took a huge downgrade in talent at the deadline, and from that point on we were not the same team. We went from arguably the best bench in the league to 1 of the worsts, because we lost our shooting and off ball movement when we lost Beasley and Juancho. If we do not find a way to replace them or upgrade the bench somehow than this team will continue to struggle. If we bring back Grant we have no real issues with our starting lineup, the issue is that the bench is terrible, and ignoring that so we can chase the stars is a huge mistake.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#654 » by THE J0KER » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:13 pm

Bucks: Oladipo
Pacers: Harris, Barton, #24(their own from Brogdon deal)
Nuggets: Bledsoe

Bledsoe is not good as Jrue, but at least we will not lose Bol Bol, Morris, nor #22. Starting lineup will be more competitive with Bledsoe than with Harris, and we will be in position to find with extra $15M in cap to find someone on FA market which fitts better this team than Barton. Bucks and Pacers get what they wants too.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#655 » by Richard Miller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Does Plumlee bring 2 young players on cheap contracts that can fill roles we need? Also Dedmon is a locker room cancer because he was promised a role and than the team changed his role and what they wanted from him? IF that is the case is Barton not a locker room cancer then? He has complained in the media about being a starter, that is worse than Dedmon did in Sacremento.

Well, you speak as if this

is a done deal. I think Atl would hang up the phone.

The Rebel wrote:Do you realize that including the playoffs we were 1 game over 500 from the Beasley/juancho trade through the end of the playoffs?

To the end of playoffs? So you're counting those weird pre-PO lineups, Jokic resting etc as something meaningful? Why on earth...?

The Rebel wrote:Wait you want Cousins, but don't want to take Dedmon with assets because of Dedmon's issues in Sacramento? You cannot be serious?

That trade has zero chance of happening. Cousins on cheap money could be low risk-high reward kind of thing since he still likes Malone, but agree it's not very likely to happen.

The real issue with this team is we took a huge downgrade in talent at the deadline, and from that point on we were not the same team. We went from arguably the best bench in the league to 1 of the worsts, because we lost our shooting and off ball movement when we lost Beasley and Juancho.

The Nuggets dodged a big one with Beasley considered he was stupid enough to get arrested with guns and a kilo of weed not to mention that fight with an NFL scrub while still in Denver. The Nuggets lost their shooting because Juancho left? The guy who was shooting 25% from three and averaging 3 pts until that point? Thanks for the laughs.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#656 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:

Would you guys do

Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Huerter/ Vassell
MPJ/ KBD
Bol/ Cancar
Jokic/ Dedmon

Dedmon is fine with me. He's not likely to get a lot of minutes and I'd want one more center just in case of injury to Jokic.

I like Huerter for a SG, especially because Murray, Morris, Dozier can all play that slot if needed.

Vassell is not my top choice but an acceptable pick for sure.

Hawks aren't making that trade. Barton is not worth that much, that's an overvalue. Dedmon's second year of the contract is guaranteed at $1 million, so he is essentially an expiring contract. #6 plus Huerter can get us in the conversation for Jrue (not that I am interested in that deal either since Jrue is on a 1 year contract), so Barton won't get you #6 by himself, as an aside Hawks traded #17 for 3 years of Capela. That #17 pick was then traded for Covington, that's Barton pick range.
skywalker33

Post#657 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:06 pm

jayu70 wrote:#6 plus Huerter can get us in the conversation for Jrue (not that I am interested in that deal either since Jrue is on a 1 year contract), so Barton won't get you #6 by himself, as an aside Hawks traded #17 for 3 years of Capela. That #17 pick was then traded for Covington, that's Barton pick range.

Not in this draft. Either you haven't seen all the teams trying to trade OUT of their top 10 picks or you're in denial. Why would teams (including ATL) try to trade such value...unless the value wasn't there. And honestly, Barton is the type of 3rd scorer to support Trae and Collins. And the Hawks acquisition of Capela makes Dedmon superfluous and Ded-weight (pun intended). I thought it was a bit weighted towards DEN, but adding the 22nd pick seems too much. We all have our opinions but saying Hueter + 6 is close to Jrue is a bit over the top.

Checking into this on the ATL forum, seems this makes your statement look even more stupid..and looks like you agree with me :lol:

jayu70 wrote:No homeruns in this draft class.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#658 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:43 am

skywalker33 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:#6 plus Huerter can get us in the conversation for Jrue (not that I am interested in that deal either since Jrue is on a 1 year contract), so Barton won't get you #6 by himself, as an aside Hawks traded #17 for 3 years of Capela. That #17 pick was then traded for Covington, that's Barton pick range.

Not in this draft. Either you haven't seen all the teams trying to trade OUT of their top 10 picks or you're in denial. Why would teams (including ATL) try to trade such value...unless the value wasn't there. And honestly, Barton is the type of 3rd scorer to support Trae and Collins. And the Hawks acquisition of Capela makes Dedmon supurflous and Ded-weight (pun intended). I thought it was a bit weighted towards DEN, but adding the 22nd pick seems too much. We all have our opinions but saying Hueter + 6 is close to Jrue is a bit over the top.

No more than saying Barton will get you #6 plus Huerter.
Dedmon was specifically reacquired for his locker room presence.
skywalker33

Post#659 » by skywalker33 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:56 am

jayu70 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Not in this draft. Either you haven't seen all the teams trying to trade OUT of their top 10 picks or you're in denial. Why would teams (including ATL) try to trade such value...unless the value wasn't there. And honestly, Barton is the type of 3rd scorer to support Trae and Collins. And the Hawks acquisition of Capela makes Dedmon supurflous and Ded-weight (pun intended). I thought it was a bit weighted towards DEN, but adding the 22nd pick seems too much. We all have our opinions but saying Hueter + 6 is close to Jrue is a bit over the top.

Well, Barton is a leader and great locker room guy, so you may need to re-evaluate IMO. You probably missed his team performances early in this season before the bubble, he was great for this team in support of Joker and Murray. And lastly, with both Hunter and Reddish, Hueter will probably be relegated to the bench eventually, his value is sure to decline.

As for Dedmon, funny you should say that considering the reported locker room disruptor he was in SAC. Sooner or later ???

jayu70
RealGM

Post#660 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:09 am

skywalker33 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Well, Barton is a leader and great locker room guy, so you may need to re-evaluate IMO. You probably missed his team performances early in this season before the bubble, he was great for this team in support of Joker and Murray. And lastly, with both Hunter and Reddish, Hueter will probably be relegated to the bench eventually, his value is sure to decline.

As for Dedmon, funny you should say that considering the reported locker room disruptor he was in SAC. Sooner or later ???

That's ok if Huerter is relegated to the bench, Hawks fans are hopeful Reddish takes his spot at starting SG. The bench can use his secondary ball handling and 3pt shooting.
Sac didn't use Ded like how Atlanta did previously and he wasn't effective for Sac's offense. Ded was glad to be traded back to Atlanta and so was Trae Young.

Return to Denver Nuggets