The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#741 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Chicago reportedly wants to move up to 1st, but the Twolves want a starting quality player or a very good prospect to move down.

I wonder if we could get Thad Young, Wendell Carter Jr, and Hutchison for Barton, with Barton going along with the 4th pick for the 1st pick overall and a salary dump going out from the Twolves?

Not a fan of helping anyone in our division getting better but I think I'd do this deal. Never been a true fan of Young but he is a good defender. Uncertain if CHI does it either.

I'm not so worried about helping Minnesota. I'm a true believer that our team getting better will keep us ahead of them. They don't seem to have a roster that works well together (and I'm not sure why).

Thad Young would be a nice backup power forward in Denver.
Wendell Carter would also be an acceptable backup power forward for us IMO.
Those two would provide some nice insurance/backup at center/pf.
I'm not sure Hutchinson brings a game that fits as well as Bates-Diop for instance, but I wouldn't be opposed to him in this deal.

I view it that Wendell Carter is our backup C playing 18 mpg behind Jokic and then a handful at PF with Jokic depending on matchups.

Hutchison is a Craig replacement, except he is better on defense and a better shooter. He is really a SG/SF, it is a different role than I see for KBD.

Young to me should be a spot player with Bol, KBD, and Cancar competing for backup forward minutes. If he is a regular rotation guy we need new young PFs.

If we re-sign Grant It leaves a rotation of
Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Hutchison
MPJ/ KBD/ Cancar
Grant/ Bol/ Young
Jokic/ WCJ
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#742 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 am

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Not a fan of helping anyone in our division getting better but I think I'd do this deal. Never been a true fan of Young but he is a good defender. Uncertain if CHI does it either.

I'm not so worried about helping Minnesota. I'm a true believer that our team getting better will keep us ahead of them. They don't seem to have a roster that works well together (and I'm not sure why).

I'm not sure Hutchinson brings a game that fits as well as Bates-Diop for instance, but I wouldn't be opposed to him in this deal.

I view it that Wendell Carter is our backup C playing 18 mpg behind Jokic and then a handful at PF with Jokic depending on matchups.

Hutchison is a Craig replacement, except he is better on defense and a better shooter. He is really a SG/SF, it is a different role than I see for KBD.

Young to me should be a spot player with Bol, KBD, and Cancar competing for backup forward minutes. If he is a regular rotation guy we need new young PFs.

Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Hutchison
MPJ/ KBD/ Cancar
Grant/ Bol/ Young
Jokic/ WCJ

I like Hutchison, but I think he could be had in a cheaper deal. I'm not sure I wouldn't be happier with Gafford as well, but I also think CHI isn't using him correctly. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of scoring off that bench but it does look like it could defend. Not saying I wouldn't do this trade, definitely has it's upside but seems we'd need to finda scorer in the draft.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#743 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:26 am

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I'm not so worried about helping Minnesota. I'm a true believer that our team getting better will keep us ahead of them. They don't seem to have a roster that works well together (and I'm not sure why).

Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Hutchison
MPJ/ KBD/ Cancar
Grant/ Bol/ Young
Jokic/ WCJ

I like Hutchison, but I think he could be had in a cheaper deal. I'm not sure I wouldn't be happier with Gafford as well, but I also think CHI isn't using him correctly. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of scoring off that bench but it does look like it could defend. Not saying I wouldn't do this trade, definitely has it's upside but seems we'd need to finda scorer in the draft.

I noticed that about the lack of offense as well, although I think Bol can create and if Cancar, Hutchison, and Morris earn their way into the rotation you have 4 guys who can shoot from 3 and a Center that has a very good midrange shot so you have a very spread floor.

While I really like Hutchison, Carter Jr is the big prize in this deal to me. He could easily be what Malone thought Plumlee was by the end of next year. Despite the mess of the Bulls coaching staff Carter has shown to be a good defender, passer, and very good shooting from the midrange.

You could flip Morris and Young for a better scorer at shooting guard and let Hutchison compete for minutes with KBD and Cancar at backup SF.
skywalker33

Post#744 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:49 am

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I view it that Wendell Carter is our backup C playing 18 mpg behind Jokic and then a handful at PF with Jokic depending on matchups.

Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Hutchison
MPJ/ KBD/ Cancar
Grant/ Bol/ Young
Jokic/ WCJ

I noticed that about the lack of offense as well, although I think Bol can create and if Cancar, Hutchison, and Morris earn their way into the rotation you have 4 guys who can shoot from 3 and a Center that has a very good midrange shot so you have a very spread floor.

While I really like Hutchison, Carter Jr is the big prize in this deal to me. He could easily be what Malone thought Plumlee was by the end of next year. Despite the mess of the Bulls coaching staff Carter has shown to be a good defender, passer, and very good shooting from the midrange.

You could flip Morris and Young for a better scorer at shooting guard and let Hutchison compete for minutes with KBD and Cancar at backup SF.

Gotta disagree there, WCJ averages less than 2apg and his FT% is a little better than Plumlee's, but still shows poor mechanics to me. He also shoots around 20% on 3pt shots, can he get better ?? I can't say I've watched a lot of Bulls basketball so I'm no expert but with shooting mechanics that bad he doesn't look like the prize. He does seem like a solid defender something Malone will appreciate.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#745 » by THE J0KER » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:13 pm

If we translate players contracts trade values into 2020 draft picks, WCJ value is a late lottery (#11-#14), while Barton value is late first (#25-#30). So it will be more than great if we trade Will Barton for Wendell Carter Jr, and even get some other young assets together with him, but that is not a realistic scenario.

We can join CHI/MIN deal using their happiness with what they get from us in Beasley and Juancho, for example:

Minnesota: #4, W.Barton, #22
Chicago: #1, G.Harris
Denver: Z.LaVine, #33, #44

But to be honest, with the Murray-MPJ-Joker trio already here, I'm not sure we need another starter way better in the offense than defense (with exception of B.Beal).
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#746 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:41 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
I like Hutchison, but I think he could be had in a cheaper deal. I'm not sure I wouldn't be happier with Gafford as well, but I also think CHI isn't using him correctly. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of scoring off that bench but it does loo%k like it could defend. Not saying I wouldn't do this trade, definitely has it's upside but seems we'd need to finda scorer in the draft.

Gotta disagree there, WCJ averages less than 2apg and his FT% is a little better than Plumlee's, but still shows poor mechanics to me. He also shoots around 20% on 3pt shots, can he get better ?? I can't say I've watched a lot of Bulls basketball so I'm no expert but with shooting mechanics that bad he doesn't look like the prize. He does seem like a solid defender something Malone will appreciate.

He gets 2 assists per game because he is not asked to pass, most of his touches come in the paint with him asked to score.

I didn't say he shot the 3 well, I said he shoots from the midrange very well. He shot 51.5% from 10-16 feet which is close to elite from that range. For comparison the best shooter in that range on the Nuggets to end last year was Jokic and he shot 49%.
skywalker33

Post#747 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:46 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

He gets 2 assists per game because he is not asked to pass, most of his touches come in the paint with him asked to score.

I didn't say he shot the 3 well, I said he shoots from the midrange very well. He shot 51.5% from 10-16 feet which is close to elite from that range. For comparison the best shooter in that range on the Nuggets to end last year was Jokic and he shot 49%.

While I would enjoy seeing WCJ backing up Jokic, regardless of what he was asked, he certainly needs to pass out of the paint if he can assist in a bucket, anytime you can, makes for a less predictable offense IMO. His shooting just 73% from the FT does concern me but it would be an upgrade over Plumlee, my biggest complaint on him was such poor FT's.

Personally, I'd be more enthralled to get Hutchinson, I think he could blossom in this free-flowing offense just as Barton did.

And I agree that Young would be moved in the long run, we already have some good potential that needs to be developed, he's good enough to inhibit that.

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,787

Post#748 » by TunaFish » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:00 am

The winds are blowing out of Houston of a possible tear down.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1326678884226658311%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2015391

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#749 » by The Rebel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:39 am

TunaFish wrote:The winds are blowing out of Houston of a possible tear down.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1326678884226658311%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2015391

Read on Twitter

They can keep Westbrook, he is a terrible fit with the Nuggets. Also with all the teammates that seem to beg out of Houston after a year with Harden, I don't think I want him at all. We have a special young team, no need to throw that away.
skywalker33

Post#750 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:47 am

The Rebel wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

They can keep Westbrook, he is a terrible fit with the Nuggets. Also with all the teammates that seem to beg out of Houston after a year with Harden, I don't think I want him at all. We have a special young team, no need to throw that away.

I agree that I don't want Harden on this team, chemistry is too important. However, to be fair, I think the HOU ownership is the reason for this mutiny he's hemorrhaging money right now.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#751 » by The Rebel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:18 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I agree that I don't want Harden on this team, chemistry is too important. However, to be fair, I think the HOU ownership is the reason for this mutiny he's hemorrhaging money right now.

While Fertita is likely a problem, this is now the 3rd costar they brought in to work with Harden that has wanted out after 1 year. Eventually some of the blame needs to fall on him.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#752 » by THE J0KER » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:22 pm

Harden is a genius, but the price for him is Jokic or Murray+Porter.

The reason why only Nuggets, Celtics, Sixers, GSW, and Nets are mentioned there is not that these 5 teams showed interest to get him, but because only these 5 teams are enough stacked with high-quality assets.

As a Nuggets fan, I wouldn't trade Jokic or even younger Murray+Porter for Harden, simple because his contract expires in 2023 (in 2022 player option) and even if he stays in Denver after 2023 there is no guarantee he will be this good at 34+ years old. Jokic/Murray/MPJ Denver can control until 2025+ and no fears they will decline during prime years.

But if I was a Nuggets owner, I would think twice before rejecting an offer for Harden. For many reasons, his star-power is way bigger than Jokic and Murray together. This young team is already clearly better than Carmelo-Iverson Nuggets, but from the owner's perspective of course "dynamic duo" era is still (much) better when it comes to making money (sell tickets and jersey, TV-rights and attract sponsors).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#753 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:25 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Harden is a genius, but the price for him is Jokic or Murray+Porter.

The reason why only Nuggets, Celtics, Sixers, GSW, and Nets are mentioned there is not that these 5 teams showed interest to get him, but because only these 5 teams are enough stacked with high-quality assets.

As a Nuggets fan, I wouldn't trade Jokic or even younger Murray+Porter for Harden, simple because his contract expires in 2023 (in 2022 player option) and even if he stays in Denver after 2023 there is no guarantee he will be this good at 34+ years old. Jokic/Murray/MPJ Denver can control until 2025+ and no fears they will decline during prime years.

But if I was a Nuggets owner, I would think twice before rejecting an offer for Harden. For many reasons, his star-power is way bigger than Jokic and Murray together. This young team is already clearly better than Carmelo-Iverson Nuggets, but from the owner's perspective of course "dynamic duo" era is still (much) better when it comes to making money (sell tickets and jersey, TV-rights and attract sponsors).

If the Nuggets want Harden, they'll need to trade Jokic first of all. Their games just don't fit well together. I'm not saying they couldn't make it work, but like Westbrook, Jokic just won't mesh well with Harden. The Nuggets would need to keep Murray and Porter to pair with Harden because he works best with players that can spread the floor.

I just don't see this happening. The Nuggets would need a new center along with a better bench --- think lots of 3-n-D players. But that's what Houston has tried and they couldn't find a way to make it work. So I just don't know. Harden's too good to play second to anyone. It just seems like he needs elite forwards that are versatile defenders that can hit 3s. That isn't what the Nuggets have, but maybe Grant ...
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#754 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:53 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Harden is a genius, but the price for him is Jokic or Murray+Porter.

If the Nuggets want Harden, they'll need to trade Jokic first of all. Their games just don't fit well together. I'm not saying they couldn't make it work, but like Westbrook, Jokic just won't mesh well with Harden. The Nuggets would need to keep Murray and Porter to pair with Harden because he works best with players that can spread the floor.

I just don't see this happening. The Nuggets would need a new center along with a better bench --- think lots of 3-n-D players. But that's what Houston has tried and they couldn't find a way to make it work. So I just don't know. Harden's too good to play second to anyone. It just seems like he needs elite forwards that are versatile defenders that can hit 3s. That isn't what the Nuggets have, but maybe Grant ...

I doubt Jokic would be required, even 31 year old Shaq couldn't bring back the Heat's best player. Although it would likely take MPJ and Morris with picks.

I don't want Harden for free. Guys especially stars cannot wait to get out of Houston with Harden there. Howard at the end of his prime, Melo, Paul, and Westbrook have all hated playing with Harden. The idea that Westbrook who was supposed to be his best friend in the league criticized Harden after criticizing himself and Harden had a problem with that, points to a much bigger problem. I also hated the way he openly campaigned for the MVP and talks trash publicly about Giannis winning it. The rumors about his entitled attitude and treatment of his teammates has been terrible for years, and it looks like it hasn't gotten better, I don't think he ever gets as far as he did with Paul, who put up with his **** for 2 years.

Off the top of my head Jordan seemed like the biggest **** to play with in my memory of the NBA, he actually got in fist fights with teammates, yet guys still loved to play with him. From all reports he was fine with being coached hard, even Lebron is reportedly easy to coach, same with Kobe, Magic, Shaq, and Bird from everything I have heard. Almost all of their teammates loved them. Those are guys who win championships, they may be dicks to their teammates, but they take criticism and worked harder than anybody, and teammates respected them and worked hard with them.

If you are going to go get Harden you are going to have to ditch the entire culture, Jokic, Murray, Millsap and all the other guys are self critical. They all talk about their mistakes and what they can do to get better before they talk about their teammates. Everybody is accountable to themselves and each other, Harden ruins that.

Harden also has to have 3 and d guys surrounding him, and everybody has to be comfortable playing off the ball all the time, that is not easy to do. He is like AI in Philly, when we brought him here our offense became AI and Melo taking turns, it is the same everybody that plays with Harden. That don't work in the playoffs. We trade for him and we killed what could be a dynasty, no thanks.
skywalker33

Post#755 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Any reporter linking Harden to the Nuggets just putting out click bait

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#756 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:55 am

Looks like there are going to be a lot of rumors over the next week, we are either not doing anything or we have made some offers and are being shopped.

The Knicks are back to being used to drive up prices, 1st Chris Paul, then Derozan, then Westbrook, and now Hayward. I would not be surprised if they are in on everybody until the day before free agency starts. The issue is that they do not have a lot of talent to trade for those guys, so I do not think they are creating much leverage outside of cap space.

Speaking of Derozan, anybody laugh when the saw the Lakers? Only way that happens is if Pop thinks Derozan is bad enough to hurt the Lakers, Pop still hates the Lakers. They must be struggling to get any offers for him.

The Pelicans most not be getting the offers they thought they would for Jrue, he is another guy that everyday a new team is supposedly after. Personally I am not interested in giving up much for him.

The Wizards must want a superstar package for Beal, for the last 2 or 3 years there are rumors floated that he is available, then 2 or 3 days later the Wizards and come out and say they are not trading him.

The Mavericks have sounded desperate for the last couple of weeks, saying they would take back big money and wanting a 3rd star. They really just do not have much for what I would call big trade assets.

I wonder who the Magic are chasing? Suddenly shopping Gordon and the 15th to move up, says that someone doesn't like the pick or Gordon all that much.

It is odd how quickly the rumors stopped with the 76ers after hiring Morey, you know they are going to do something.

seems like the Bulls are still trying to decide what to do, shopping Lavine, and WCJ, while shopping the pick.

The Bucks rumors have all but disappeared. Are they trading Giannis or have they already found a deal?
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,787

Post#757 » by TunaFish » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:30 am

skywalker33 wrote:Any reporter linking Harden to the Nuggets just putting out click bait

Bobby Marks from ESPN is the source and he claims to be an NBA insider. I have no doubt that the Nuggets would do due diligence and inquire about Harden based on the reports. I would then expect the Rockets to shut the door.

Westbrook is a different matter and he is likely on his way out, so there will be some interest for the right price. The Clippers might be interested.

Question for fans, would there be any interest in Westbrook as a replacement for Garry Harris (without much more going back)?
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#758 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:37 am

DEN tried offering Harris and Barton for Jrue at the deadline last year. Here's an interesting lay-down on what it could've looked like
Holiday averaged 19.1 points, 6.7 assists and 1.6 steals per game for the Pels during the 2019-20 campaign. He also finished 16th out of 138 qualified shooting guards in defensive real plus-minus, per ESPN.com.

Barton averaged 15.1 points and a career-high 6.3 rebounds per contest , while Harris posted 10.4 points and 2.9 boards and finished fourth in defensive real plus-minus among shooting guards.

Holiday is due $25.1 million in base salary next season and has a 2021-22 player option for $26.3 million.

Guess Rebel was more than correct on his defensive assessment of Harris. Still, there is the difference in contract lenght, do you want to have 2 more years are a higher rate or take 1-yr and go into free agency w/o Bird rights ?

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#759 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:51 pm

skywalker33 wrote:DEN tried offering Harris and Barton for Jrue at the deadline last year. Here's an interesting lay-down on what it could've looked like
Holiday averaged 19.1 points, 6.7 assists and 1.6 steals per game for the Pels during the 2019-20 campaign. He also finished 16th out of 138 qualified shooting guards in defensive real plus-minus, per ESPN.com.

Barton averaged 15.1 points and a career-high 6.3 rebounds per contest , while Harris posted 10.4 points and 2.9 boards and finished fourth in defensive real plus-minus among shooting guards.

Holiday is due $25.1 million in base salary next season and has a 2021-22 player option for $26.3 million.

Guess Rebel was more than correct on his defensive assessment of Harris. Still, there is the difference in contract lenght, do you want to have 2 more years are a higher rate or take 1-yr and go into free agency w/o Bird rights ?

Thank you, but real plus minus has it's issues. Harris put up a 1.92, Jrue put up a 1.08, and Barton put up 1.01 so by that stat Barton is closer to Jrue than Jrue is to Harris. Looking at other advanced stats and individual tracking stats it is very close between Harris and Jrue, with the slight edge in my mind going to Harris and Barton the next step down from them.

That being said I am always shaking my head on how little the Nuggets know about marketing their own damn players. All you ever hear about is how bad Harris has shot the last 2 years, other defensive specialists like Smart get a pass for their offense, yet Harris is clearly a better defender than Smart.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#760 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:01 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Any reporter linking Harden to the Nuggets just putting out click bait

Bobby Marks from ESPN is the source and he claims to be an NBA insider. I have no doubt that the Nuggets would do due diligence and inquire about Harden based on the reports. I would then expect the Rockets to shut the door.

Westbrook is a different matter and he is likely on his way out, so there will be some interest for the right price. The Clippers might be interested.

Question for fans, would there be any interest in Westbrook as a replacement for Garry Harris (without much more going back)?

I would expect the Nuggets to inquire about Harden, we have chased big names since Connelly got here, but I think Harden with his attitude is the worst thing we could do.

The issue with Westbrook is that it would cost at least Harris, Barton, and 1 of the minimum deals just to make the deal work, and I just do not see the fit. Westbrook is a great leader and his teammates all seem to love him, but his lack of shooting and marginal defense are both big issues for what we need. If he was a free agent and we could sign him for the MLE than I would easily take him, but not with that deal.

Return to Denver Nuggets