THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Re: Gary Harris 

Post#21 » by THE J0KER » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:47 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Harris defense is really underrated, and he deserves spot in all-NBA defensive 2nd team at least once in past two seasons despite injuries. But Harris is not two-way player anymore because of his OFFENSE declined badly into 10-3-2 with painful fg%, while Holiday is 20-5-7 (near all-star) in that department. Harris once has 59-60%ts%, but if he recovers at least to 54-55%ts% I will be happy enough to not ask his trade :), but 52%ts% two seasons in the row is literally negative impact on offense.

Definitely hear your concerns, I think it's somewhat shared by many here. However, please note that while Harris' offense has declined, players like MPJ's and Murray's offense have stepped up, which I expect to continue even more this year. Right now I am more concerned about replacing Grant's defense than Gary's offense.

While I think Grant is now overpaid and has become overrated by the media and fans on message boards, we do need to find a way to replace his defense at the 3/4. Millsap due to age and Green due to injuries just cannot cover good SFs anymore. Barton is good but I would love to get a good 3 and D stretch 4 from somewhere.

Robert Covington seemed like the perfect solution, but unfortunately, when he was available a week ago, our FO was super-confident that they will re-sign Grant. BTW Covington is a better two-way 3&D forward than Grant with team-friendly 25/2 contract, so we should trade for him anyway.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#22 » by TunaFish » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:54 am

THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Definitely hear your concerns, I think it's somewhat shared by many here. However, please note that while Harris' offense has declined, players like MPJ's and Murray's offense have stepped up, which I expect to continue even more this year. Right now I am more concerned about replacing Grant's defense than Gary's offense.

While I think Grant is now overpaid and has become overrated by the media and fans on message boards, we do need to find a way to replace his defense at the 3/4. Millsap due to age and Green due to injuries just cannot cover good SFs anymore. Barton is good but I would love to get a good 3 and D stretch 4 from somewhere.

Robert Covington seemed like the perfect solution, but unfortunately, when he was available a week ago, our FO was super-confident that they will re-sign Grant. BTW Covington is a better two-way 3&D forward than Grant with team-friendly 25/2 contract, so we should trade for him anyway.

Two draft picks involved in the Covington trade and that appears to be a bit too expensive for Denver. JaMychal Green is interesting in that he is similar to Covington although more of an inside player but a lot cheaper. Denver must have been scouting Green based on how quickly he was signed. I have been rewatching Green play against Denver in the playoffs and he was definitely in the rotation and played well (missed a few deep shots but otherwise was solid). Green may surprise us.

MPJ has to defend small forwards on the perimeter better than last season, at least that seems to be Denver's plan.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#23 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:30 pm

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Two draft picks involved in the Covington trade and that appears to be a bit too expensive for Denver. JaMychal Green is interesting in that he is similar to Covington although more of an inside player but a lot cheaper. Denver must have been scouting Green based on how quickly he was signed. I have been rewatching Green play against Denver in the playoffs and he was definitely in the rotation and played well (missed a few deep shots but otherwise was solid). Green may surprise us.

MPJ has to defend small forwards on the perimeter better than last season, at least that seems to be Denver's plan.

Covington is the better team defender but Green is the better man to man defender. Green also struggles to keep up with smaller forwards, but i don't think the difference between Covington and Green is 2 1st round picks. Grant while being a worse help defender is easily the best man to man defender of all 3.

The thing that fascinates me about Covington is that he is on his 3rd team in 3 years. I understand the 76ers wanting to go all in and wanting Butler, but the Twolves desperately needed defense and dumped him for essentially Beasley, Juancho, and a future 1st. Then a few months later the Rockets dump him for 2 1sts and an expiring. Why with the Twolves trading him for essentially the package we gave up why did we not take Covington? It does not make sense, unless there is something about him we are missing?

The thing is Portland is desperate, they have had basically the same primary lineup at guard and Center since we traded them Nurkic, which is 3 1/2 seasons. IN that time they have made it out of the 1st round 1 time, and both Lillard and CJ are coming up on 30. Last year they tried to get 2 way guys at forward but with Hood and Collins both out for most of the season they ended up with Melo as their starting PF. They had to do something, time will tell if it worked for them, but they paid a big price to get Covington and likely would have went higher if we had bid against them.

I agree MPJ has to defend better, he showed signs of quick improvement in the playoffs, maybe he will be a decent defender next year.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:49 am

Read on Twitter

We will have to see it in games, but if Harris is back to shooting like that then he is pretty damn close to an al star level player as well.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#25 » by THE J0KER » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:15 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

We will have to see it in games, but if Harris is back to shooting like that then he is pretty damn close to an al star level player as well.

We actually don't need G-Harris to be close to all-star. Just to be enough healthy and not to be too bad (FG%) in the offense, so his TOP10 defense will be really $18M worthy. Gary was once near 60%TS% shooter, but with BIG3 around 55%TS% will be more than enough from Harris, just to not repeat the third season in the row 52%TS% which really damages the contribution of a starter in a contender team. In the past, Harris's shooting troubles were often connected with injuries, so I hope his hip, groin, and hamstrings are finally 100% recovered and healthy once again.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by The Rebel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:44 am

THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

We actually don't need G-Harris to be close to all-star. Just to be enough healthy and not to be too bad (FG%) in the offense, so his TOP10 defense will be really $18M worthy. Gary was once near 60%TS% shooter, but with BIG3 around 55%TS% will be more than enough from Harris, just to not repeat the third season in the row 52%TS% which really damages the contribution of a starter in a contender team. In the past, Harris's shooting troubles were often connected with injuries, so I hope his hip, groin, and hamstrings are finally 100% recovered and healthy once again.

Like I have said before, with the defense that Harris provides he is worth the starting SG position and the average starting SG in the league makes $18+ million a year, just that justifies his salary. If he can stay on the court that is by far the most important thing to me, otherwise we struggle defending the perimeter.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#27 » by Riko » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:14 am

THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

A lot of if... his trend since the new deal is worrying and even with his defensive contribution, in the Lakers series he was a burden in the offensive end. He was afraid to shoot and keep the dribbling alive disrupting denver's spacing, but the odd thing is that in the Clippers series his shot were falling, so why was he afraid?
I was a big fan, especially of his combo with Jokic but I have lost hope about him.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#28 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:05 am

I hope Harris gets his game back - but I'm not really a believer right now.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#29 » by TunaFish » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:I hope Harris gets his game back - but I'm not really a believer right now.

I don't know what to believe with Garry Harris. The drop off in his offense is stunning. If you look back to your first message in this thread you will remember saying that he was the best two-way guard in the league. That was a little over a year ago. I would have agreed with you then just like I agree with you now, hard to understand.

After that first season where he barely played under Shaw, he started immediately at the 2 guard averaging 12 points a game. His average increased the next season to 14.9 ppg and the following season to 17.5 ppg (2017-2018).

Then injuries struck. Games played began to drop, his scoring average was 12.0 in 18-19 and last season 10.4 His playoff averages also significantly dropped.

Injuries suck.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by The Rebel » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:19 am

TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I hope Harris gets his game back - but I'm not really a believer right now.

I don't know what to believe with Garry Harris. The drop off in his offense is stunning. If you look back to your first message in this thread you will remember saying that he was the best two-way guard in the league. That was a little over a year ago. I would have agreed with you then just like I agree with you now, hard to understand.

After that first season where he barely played under Shaw, he started immediately at the 2 guard averaging 12 points a game. His average increased the next season to 14.9 ppg and the following season to 17.5 ppg (2017-2018).

Then injuries struck. Games played began to drop, his scoring average was 12.0 in 18-19 and last season 10.4 His playoff averages also significantly dropped.

Injuries suck.

I am not worried about how many points he scores, as long as he scores enough to keep a defender on him than he serves his purpose. The problem I saw was that he appeared to be having trouble turning the corner against the Warriors on a couple of occasions, which is not a good sign.

With Millsap's offensive decline looking like it may be permanent, it could cause some big issues for our starting lineup.

I will say though that he died score 5 of 11 in that 1st preseason game, so maybe the 3 point shot will come back and he will be okay.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#31 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 am

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

Injuries suck.

I am not worried about how many points he scores, as long as he scores enough to keep a defender on him than he serves his purpose. The problem I saw was that he appeared to be having trouble turning the corner against the Warriors on a couple of occasions, which is not a good sign.

With Millsap's offensive decline looking like it may be permanent, it could cause some big issues for our starting lineup.

I will say though that he died score 5 of 11 in that 1st preseason game, so maybe the 3 point shot will come back and he will be okay.

I think Harris needs to cut to the basket more (and everyone else too). Those crazy Jokic passes can lead to an extra 5-6 points or more for any player willing to hustle. If Harris gets 3-4 Jokic-pass-dunks per game and hits 2 or 3 long-range shots; his defense makes up for everything else. He just needs to keep the other team from clogging the paint.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#32 » by psimanic1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am

Good luck G! :rockon:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by The Rebel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Harris is always going to be a huge what if to me, if he never hurt his hip would he have been an all star by now? would he have been the 2nd or 3rd star on this team? I hope he gets healthy and reaches some of that potential we all saw, even if it is in Orlando.

Return to Denver Nuggets