ImageImageImage

Let's talk about Jokic on the defensive end (following the loss @NETS game)

Moderator: THE J0KER

oligo
Sophomore
And1: 59

Let's talk about Jokic on the defensive end (following the loss @NETS game) 

Post#1 » by oligo » Sun Dec 8, 2019 10:35 pm

Your thoughts on his defensive presence in recent games?

Watching the game @NETS, I mean, this guy is too tired to raise hands! How is he gonna play solid defense with hands down? You need to show some energy on the road! Just ridiculous. The Nuggets are paying big money for his services. Max guys need to come up big when it matters the most.

Your thoughts?
#FireVlade
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Let's talk about Jokic on the defensive end (following the loss @NETS game) 

Post#2 » by The Rebel » Sun Dec 8, 2019 11:54 pm

oligo wrote:Your thoughts on his defensive presence in recent games?

Watching the game @NETS, I mean, this guy is too tired to raise hands! How is he gonna play solid defense with hands down? You need to show some energy on the road! Just ridiculous. The Nuggets are paying big money for his services. Max guys need to come up big when it matters the most.

Your thoughts?

LOL, you cannot be serious? Your issue is that Jokic does not have his hands up every play? Jokic was not the problem with our defense today, the rotation was. Jokic was rotating like he is supposed to when our guards were getting beat, but Millsap and Barton were both really slow on their rotations today. To the point for the 2nd game in a row Millsap had his minutes cut.
oligo
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#3 » by oligo » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:10 am

The Rebel wrote:

Your thoughts?

LOL, you cannot be serious? Your issue is that Jokic does not have his hands up every play?

Bro, just chill down and breath, ok? I didn't say every play... lol. I was talking just about playing the D under the rim.
But you can take a closer look at last minutes. He was banged and tired like hell, his eyes were glassy, and hands slow.
Boy, he still needs to work a lot on his weight issues.
#FireVlade
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#4 » by The Rebel » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:47 am

oligo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Your thoughts?

LOL, you cannot be serious? Your issue is that Jokic does not have his hands up every play?

Bro, just chill down and breath, ok? I didn't say every play... lol. I was talking just about playing the D under the rim.
But you can take a closer look at last minutes. He was banged and tired like hell, his eyes were glassy, and hands slow.
Boy, he still needs to work a lot on his weight issues.

Jokic always looks tired, and fact is how could he not be tired at that point? He had guys hanging off him the entire game, and on the other end he was cutting off the drive or involved in a pick and roll on every play. While carrying the offense, because nobody was moving off the ball and everybody wanted to go iso only to be bailed out by Jokic. Guys were blowing by our guys the entire game, they weren't fighting through screens nor cutting off their guys who were allowed straight line drive after drive, no big in the league is going to be able to do that all night on the 3rd game in 4 nights. Especially when your 3rd game is starting at 1 pm local time.

Millsap and Barton have obviously lost minutes the last 2 games. Barton is getting beat badly on the perimeter and not rotating at all, and Millsap has been a step slow on a lot of plays all season. Having Jokic hedge on all the screens, cut off all the drives, and defend his man and having him get most of it done is as much as any big does on defense. I would be pissed if I did that only to have the rotations be slow when he is forced to cut off guards. Yet Jokic gets blamed which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Our system relies on help defense and Jokic is the only one providing it all night. So you will have to understand why I do not care if he does not raise his hands all the damn time.

Jokic plays more minutes hard than any big in the league, he is not out of shape and saying he is really only makes you look like you are clueless and should be posting with the rest of the low knowledge people on places like Reddit and Facebook.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Dec 9, 2019 3:30 am

Jokic always looks tired. But when he plays 60 minutes in a game, he plays at the same pace as he did in the first few minutes - or close to it.

I do have a complaint about Jokic's defense but it doesn't involve his hands or even his paint preference. We hear a lot about Jokic's basketball IQ and I am guilty of giving him credit there. But on outside defense, after a pick-n-roll, he tries to play against the guards as tight as a guard would play. As a consequence, the guards go right by him quite easily. He's a step slow (or maybe two steps) but at seven feet tall, he can play back a step or two and still bother their outside shot and it would help prevent players from driving around him (Plumlee is even worse on this IMO.)
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Mon Dec 9, 2019 4:52 am

Your thoughts?

First of all, Jokic is not "max guy" but more likely all-NBA first-team "supermax guy", which is not allowed to sign supermax before 2023. His defense is based on his BBIQ, and he is not so successful doing that like Marc Gasol is, but still, it is OK.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#7 » by Popovich » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:24 am

Hello again good people!
I was not very active for some time here but now I have a great urge to express myself fully and therefore please "excusez moi"  I must be a brutally honest and because this post will be more of psychological or a social-political, spiritual nature .
I will agree with most of the critics on Nikola's behalf but what I intend to say may partially justify him if we agree that he deserves it. Very, here in Serbia, lately we have been witness of some very negative feedback's coming from Denver and their fan base commune, I am sure not this-one but still, even maybe we could call it hate speech directed hate speech on already wounded Jokic. I You are surely aware of that as it is happening in on your ground. They say beast is the most dangerous when it's wounded but as I recall that is true for lions not honey-bears what is Nikola's best comparison he got in great America. When bear is wounded other , in normal condition weaker full blooded predators would not dare to prey on a big even young bear.

I am all for critics on Jokic, he is slow, fat, appears timorous, lazy , bad defender , awful shot-blocker even confused in D switches etc. yet has quick hands when he operates on his best. We could not even hope of him becoming a solid on D side. He was mostly exposed on WC in China, what was coaches mistake, when he played big power forward instead of his natural C position. I also admit that I was wrong and that community here was right when they warned me about this issue but still I supported coaches decisions when we were brutally blowing up teams much weaker than ours, when smarter coach came in our opponent we were read like an open book. Nikola was so bad he could not guard any slim and faster PF even respectfully ancient old Luis Scola scooled* him and not just him but everybody we tried to put on him.

Now a harder justifying part still not without continuous critic and I hope good conclusion at the end at last. First we must admit that Jokic is great offensive weapon, an offensive Swiss knife, orchestra's conductor.
And yes Jokic was never my favourite player yet I always admired and loved special talents who's appearance can make you wrong. Jokic is extremely talented offensive player and yes he is the one around whose skills you build team around or not use it at all. He depends on his teammates and teammates can rely on him right or no?
But currently something is wrong , I can see glimpses of sorrow on his white face. There is something called constructive critic and there is also that harsh critic that passes beyond boundaries of good intention and even becomes malice in this malice world. Maybe you thought that Nikola is a tough man like we Serbs are supposed to be, in every stereotype there is a lot of truth but there are always big exceptions also. And you can say he is a professional max-deal player , we don't care, he is payed to do what he is supposed to do no matter what, but why giving him max contract so soon, why spoiling him. I don't know what's is it but it is emotional and psychological in nature, I can feel it. Jokic grew up with two much bigger and maybe too tough brothers, let's not be to over harsh on him. What if he is sensitive not to say soft but big hearted guy if you look deeper. Let me say more about Jokic origins. Hes family originates from bloody Bosnia and I am not sure when they came here in these melancholic planes of Panonia but sure like it did to my genes , although in first generation, born here like Nikola, monotonic but comforting and food gifted Vojvodina made us lazy, little slow flowing, depressing. On the other hand this area with open hands accepted refuges, brothers across Drina river who found to love this land which saved them. Today and even those brown people from middle east too. We are not even close tough and strong like our ancestors were, we waste what's gifted to us, our own gifts. Sombor is really , really beautiful, green place, bohemian not that small town with interesting and almost perfect mixture of European cultures which in return shaped Nikola's sensitivity and gifted him with pure talent of creativity. They say no one ever died out of starvation here on this fertile black soil and we could see that Jokic likes to eat strong food. He was even addicted to Pepsi Cola and as early as there psychologists could find traces of some disorder. But let's see what is happening now, I don't want to dig into personal stuff but his brother is still under the bars, convicted for family violence or not? . Sounds terrible but what if he had just hit his wife and he did deserve it? IDK I am just asking. Here on that topic situation is almost same like it is in America, laws are of that ultra neo-liberal nature and not traditional like before. When ultra tolerance becomes intolerant?  But his brother is violent, now over protective to his brother, wants to fight Westbrook, whants to fight refs, c'mon man mature up.  Maybe Nikola just needs a little break, I know , I know what would you say, he is payed and he is a pro but guys let's face it, anyone who went through some big personal psycho-emotional crisis will understand my words. :-?
Let's just don't hate as hate comes back as a bigger boomerang.
Why are we so mean to others and specially when we smell "blood" ? Aren't we supposed to comfort and help each other in such moments. Aw what kind of all sorts of terrible things are happening , IDK where is worse here or in America, it smells on war again in the south-west of Balkan and those racist incidents in America. Boy's nose smashed with mace just because his family supports current president who we see it from here is clear-minded not stupid as you might conclude. Here on sad south of the country convicted paedophiles hiding with new victims after being released somewhere in numerous abounded houses, I admire America for still having death penalty for such personas, although we should always remember not to judge others quickly. :noway:    
Did we forget all those happy moments Nikola Jokić brought to the hilly cold city of Denver Colorado? And so quickly?
Let's not hate but find solutions and give constructive critics but only when tolerance line is not vincible.
Are we gonna say that The Joker (by the way huuge movie , this new film is so good, I could not believe it came from a modern Hollywood) is now weak and entirely bad player, that he was mistake. IDK :crazy: what's wrong with him, maybe he is just home sick or maybe it is time for him to find a loving women not girlfriend, maybe on Sunday he could visit and stand for liturgy in Church. Maybe just a little break, or is he bored? Could it be that he is not a young man any more and it is time for him to become just a man, fully matured man. I don't know what's wrong with our dear Nikola, maybe nothing is wrong with him, but I know something is wrong with us and this malice world. What if Jokic proves haters wrong again, wouldn't that be embarrassing? :oops: Y or N ?  
I did not watch any NBA full games for a longer period of time, only highlights. I would never pray for sport results or similar but I wish for Nikola just to heal his sadness and to overcome his personal and professional psycho-emotional troubles and let's see what happens. Hope I'll be able to watch parts of game vs Memphis. Let's hope for the best and don't lose trust and belief in people when they lose it for themselves? Please forgive me and try to avoid ridiculing me or this post for it's this too-extended message and strange manners!

Peace with you all ppl!    

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:33 am

Popovich wrote:Hello again good people!
I was not very active for some time here but now I have a great urge to express myself fully and therefore please "excusez moi"  I must be a brutally honest and because this post will be more of psychological or a social-political, spiritual nature .
I will agree with most of the critics on Nikola's behalf but what I intend to say may partially justify him if we agree that he deserves it. Very, here in Serbia, lately we have been witness of some very negative feedback's coming from Denver and their fan base commune, I am sure not this-one but still, even maybe we could call it hate speech directed hate speech on already wounded Jokic. I You are surely aware of that as it is happening in on your ground. They say beast is the most dangerous when it's wounded but as I recall that is true for lions not honey-bears what is Nikola's best comparison he got in great America. When bear is wounded other , in normal condition weaker full blooded predators would not dare to prey on a big even young bear.

I am all for critics on Jokic, he is slow, fat, appears timorous, lazy , bad defender , awful shot-blocker even confused in D switches etc. yet has quick hands when he operates on his best. We could not even hope of him becoming a solid on D side. He was mostly exposed on WC in China, what was coaches mistake, when he played big power forward instead of his natural C position. I also admit that I was wrong and that community here was right when they warned me about this issue but still I supported coaches decisions when we were brutally blowing up teams much weaker than ours, when smarter coach came in our opponent we were read like an open book. Nikola was so bad he could not guard any slim and faster PF even respectfully ancient old Luis Scola scooled* him and not just him but everybody we tried to put on him.

Now a harder justifying part still not without continuous critic and I hope good conclusion at the end at last. First we must admit that Jokic is great offensive weapon, an offensive Swiss knife, orchestra's conductor.
And yes Jokic was never my favourite player yet I always admired and loved special talents who's appearance can make you wrong. Jokic is extremely talented offensive player and yes he is the one around whose skills you build team around or not use it at all. He depends on his teammates and teammates can rely on him right or no?
But currently something is wrong , I can see glimpses of sorrow on his white face. There is something called constructive critic and there is also that harsh critic that passes beyond boundaries of good intention and even becomes malice in this malice world. Maybe you thought that Nikola is a tough man like we Serbs are supposed to be, in every stereotype there is a lot of truth but there are always big exceptions also. And you can say he is a professional max-deal player , we don't care, he is payed to do what he is supposed to do no matter what, but why giving him max contract so soon, why spoiling him. I don't know what's is it but it is emotional and psychological in nature, I can feel it. Jokic grew up with two much bigger and maybe too tough brothers, let's not be to over harsh on him. What if he is sensitive not to say soft but big hearted guy if you look deeper. Let me say more about Jokic origins. Hes family originates from bloody Bosnia and I am not sure when they came here in these melancholic planes of Panonia but sure like it did to my genes , although in first generation, born here like Nikola, monotonic but comforting and food gifted Vojvodina made us lazy, little slow flowing, depressing. On the other hand this area with open hands accepted refuges, brothers across Drina river who found to love this land which saved them. Today and even those brown people from middle east too. We are not even close tough and strong like our ancestors were, we waste what's gifted to us, our own gifts. Sombor is really , really beautiful, green place, bohemian not that small town with interesting and almost perfect mixture of European cultures which in return shaped Nikola's sensitivity and gifted him with pure talent of creativity. They say no one ever died out of starvation here on this fertile black soil and we could see that Jokic likes to eat strong food. He was even addicted to Pepsi Cola and as early as there psychologists could find traces of some disorder. But let's see what is happening now, I don't want to dig into personal stuff but his brother is still under the bars, convicted for family violence or not? . Sounds terrible but what if he had just hit his wife and he did deserve it? IDK I am just asking. Here on that topic situation is almost same like it is in America, laws are of that ultra neo-liberal nature and not traditional like before. When ultra tolerance becomes intolerant?  But his brother is violent, now over protective to his brother, wants to fight Westbrook, whants to fight refs, c'mon man mature up.  Maybe Nikola just needs a little break, I know , I know what would you say, he is payed and he is a pro but guys let's face it, anyone who went through some big personal psycho-emotional crisis will understand my words. :-?
Let's just don't hate as hate comes back as a bigger boomerang.
Why are we so mean to others and specially when we smell "blood" ? Aren't we supposed to comfort and help each other in such moments. Aw what kind of all sorts of terrible things are happening , IDK where is worse here or in America, it smells on war again in the south-west of Balkan and those racist incidents in America. Boy's nose smashed with mace just because his family supports current president who we see it from here is clear-minded not stupid as you might conclude. Here on sad south of the country convicted paedophiles hiding with new victims after being released somewhere in numerous abounded houses, I admire America for still having death penalty for such personas, although we should always remember not to judge others quickly. :noway:    
Did we forget all those happy moments Nikola Jokić brought to the hilly cold city of Denver Colorado? And so quickly?
Let's not hate but find solutions and give constructive critics but only when tolerance line is not vincible.
Are we gonna say that The Joker (by the way huuge movie , this new film is so good, I could not believe it came from a modern Hollywood) is now weak and entirely bad player, that he was mistake. IDK :crazy: what's wrong with him, maybe he is just home sick or maybe it is time for him to find a loving women not girlfriend, maybe on Sunday he could visit and stand for liturgy in Church. Maybe just a little break, or is he bored? Could it be that he is not a young man any more and it is time for him to become just a man, fully matured man. I don't know what's wrong with our dear Nikola, maybe nothing is wrong with him, but I know something is wrong with us and this malice world. What if Jokic proves haters wrong again, wouldn't that be embarrassing? :oops: Y or N ?  
I did not watch any NBA full games for a longer period of time, only highlights. I would never pray for sport results or similar but I wish for Nikola just to heal his sadness and to overcome his personal and professional psycho-emotional troubles and let's see what happens. Hope I'll be able to watch parts of game vs Memphis. Let's hope for the best and don't lose trust and belief in people when they lose it for themselves? Please forgive me and try to avoid ridiculing me or this post for it's this too-extended message and strange manners!

Peace with you all ppl!    

Welcome - I always enjoy your posts.
I'll say +100 to your post. I might disagree with a little bit but overall, I really agree. I think the problem is that Jokic is so very different from what everyone expects. There has never been a big man like him except maybe Arvydas Sabonis. I'm far less concerned about his weight than most people. He played 65 minutes in that playoff game last year and was moving at almost the same speed at the end as he did in the middle of the game. I'm also not concerned too much about his defense. He's great in the paint but when he tries to cover guards and wings outside, they just fly past him. He needs to play off them and live with them taking 3s but that's not Malone's desires, so Jokic plays the way the coach says.

My biggest complaint about Jokic is that he needs to shoot more. If he shoots more, they have to play him tighter, which gives him easier passes. Right now they play off him, trying to steal his passes. But that's also somewhat based on the coach's plan. Jokic's greatest at the top of the key with players running the baseline and cutting to the basket. That isn't their offense this year - I don't understand why.

Time will prove his greatness - or not. We shall see. But I believe he'll be considered one of the greatest of these days and perhaps one of the greatest of all time.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#9 » by Popovich » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:14 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Jokic's greatest at the top of the key with players running the baseline and cutting to the basket. That isn't their offense this year - I don't understand why.

I think , maybe it is because, now he can't play on the underdog card, the league scouts read some of his weak spots so opponents are looking to guard him more tightly and it is suddenly very hard for him to shoot over taller defenders with good shot-blocking skills. To respond on this Jokic is more and more keen to use parabolic shots and even tries to invent some new moves Dirk style but it is'n working as well as he have hoped for.

Return to Denver Nuggets